PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Serena?

cknobman
11-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Saw her match against Venus last night and I have to say I was quite shocked.

Serena looked slow, cumbersome, and unmotivated for most of that match last night. She was spraying shots like a lawn sprinkler all over the place last night.

Also is she getting bigger? I swear she looked friggin huge last night!! Her legs are just plain fat looking and I thought I saw a gut on her too.

IMO she needs to lose 20+ lbs to help her court movement.

drakulie
11-07-2008, 06:57 AM

I don't think she has the will-power to stop eating truck loads of krispy kreme doughnuts.

rommil
11-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Her weight......that's what's up..

sureshs
11-07-2008, 07:32 AM
She has already started indulging for the holiday food

split-step
11-07-2008, 08:08 AM
She withdrew from YEC :roll:

Underhand
11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Her abs couldn't handle the krispy kreme doughnuts anymore.

quest01
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I also heard she withdraw from the WTA championships due to a fake injury. It's unfortunate because Ivanonic and now Serena have both withdrawn due to phantom injuries. I think the real reason why she cut and run is because of her embarrassing loss to her sister, Venus.

I do believe Serena could lose about 10 pounds but most of her body weight comes from her buttocks. Her butt makes up at least 3/4's of her body weight.

tennisgirl90
11-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Dementieva is now playing against Petrova.

I thought Serena's win at the US Open would be the start of her second career, but when I saw her against Venus ...

She will still play some years, but it will always be with ups and downs.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
11-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh, all you "haters"....
Just because she and Terrell Owens have never had their picture taken together, you just go on and on.

It was Big Bird's turn to win, didn't you see the news conference with Richard?
I missed the post- loss Q and A- Did she even have one?

cknobman
11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Her weight......that's what's up..

She has already started indulging for the holiday food

I don't think she has the will-power to stop eating truck loads of krispy kreme doughnuts.

LMAO!!! I laughed so hard at these I made my stomach hurt.

robertg06
11-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Hahahaha, lol nice one. What does she even have to aim for? She's got nearly everything, she needs some inspiration.

hewittboy
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
She had an injury called ego-busting which caused her to withdraw from the YEC. After being held to only one game by Venus in the 2nd and 3rd sets, she was scared of facing the embarassment of being eliminated while healthy by a loss to Dementieva who has been playing pretty well this week. So she just saved herself the possible humiliation and WD. Typical.

Ivanovic was even more embarassed, losing to Jankovic for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the earth, and with both russian women in better form likely on her way to going 0-3. So why bother, pretend to be ill *cough cough* adios you all.

edmondsm
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't think either of the sisters give a crap about anything but grand slam tournaments. The thing is that the lack of motivation errrr, shows more in Serena's case.

Mansewerz
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL, i knew this would happen. After all the talks about the Williams sister giving up matches to each other, it was so predictable.

LafayetteHitter
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Saw her match against Venus last night and I have to say I was quite shocked.

Serena looked slow, cumbersome, and unmotivated for most of that match last night. She was spraying shots like a lawn sprinkler all over the place last night.

Also is she getting bigger? I swear she looked friggin huge last night!! Her legs are just plain fat looking and I thought I saw a gut on her too.

Getting bigger? She has been huge for a long time now. She always plays tennis like a bull on the tennis court imo.

marc45
11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
LOL, i knew this would happen. After all the talks about the Williams sister giving up matches to each other, it was so predictable.
i just felt the thought of playing each other twice in four days was very troubling.....you could just sense something might give...if i recall they haven't been in the yec's together very often to begin with...probably a good bet they'll go the rest of their career (their whole career) without the "twice in three or four days thing" rearing it's ugly head

kungfusmkim
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow you guys are very very very mean. You guys don't know how hard it is for big women to look "fit" and slender as possible just to please other people and fans like you. Being thin and skinny isnt all that right either. you have a heart attack even when you look fit and healthy. And she might have looked a bit bigger thats because she hasn't been at many tournaments after uso... All people have off days.

kungfusmkim
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
And also i dont think any one of you guys can beat her even in her state right now. Even if shes not fit i bet you she can take any of you guys down 60 60

cknobman
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Wow you guys are very very very mean. You guys don't know how hard it is for big women to look "fit" and slender as possible just to please other people and fans like you. Being thin and skinny isnt all that right either. you have a heart attack even when you look fit and healthy. And she might have looked a bit bigger thats because she hasn't been at many tournaments after uso... All people have off days.

And also i dont think any one of you guys can beat her even in her state right now. Even if shes not fit i bet you she can take any of you guys down 60 60

A. Being "fit" and not "obese" should have nothing to do with pleasing other people. Being "fit" is a necessity when your an althlete and its a disgrace to see Serena lumbering around like a Rhino out of water on the tennis courts.

B. Not playing a few tournaments dosnt justify 20 extra pounds of weight.

C. No one said or implied that they could beat Serena. Serena is a professional athlete and is subject to scrutiny especially when her condition is bad enough to noticeably affect her play.

LafayetteHitter
11-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Well she would probably beat me 6-3 6-3 because I doubt she would want anyone else to get any breadsticks or bagels. They taste too good with all the cheesy poofs.

kungfusmkim
11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
A. Being "fit" and not "obese" should have nothing to do with pleasing other people. Being "fit" is a necessity when your an althlete and its a disgrace to see Serena lumbering around like a Rhino out of water on the tennis courts.

B. Not playing a few tournaments dosnt justify 20 extra pounds of weight.

C. No one said or implied that they could beat Serena. Serena is a professional athlete and is subject to scrutiny especially when her condition is bad enough to noticeably affect her play.

Um when serena is fit for example like the 2008 US open every open, every one was talking about how big her biceps looks or how of a man she was or if she was using steroids.
And yes not playing a few tournament does justify 20 extra pounds of weight. Becuase some people lose weight when they are stressed. And also during tournaments they have to practice and stay in shape and still play matches which could be intense. when you arent playing a tournament you are more relaxed and you still have the same practice...
Yes its true that no body in this thread said they cant beat her but you guys are critisizing her like you are so much better than she is. When people are making those comments on how bad she is playing and making fun of her image they are basically saying, I can do what she does everyday and i do it better than she does. But reality is no one in this thread has the skill to do what she does.

LafayetteHitter
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Yea he's right, guys fat girls need love too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d9WDlSv5JE&feature=related

kungfusmkim
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
conclusion: Either way bigger women get critisized. when they want to be as womanly as possible and still be an athlete they get critisized for not working out or not being fit. Then when they do work out and as a result have alot more muscle than the other girls they are called a man for having biceps
* i gurantee you if you ask every girl in you class how they think about women with biceps and triceps and abs they'll respond negatively or as positivley as possible. Girls dont like to be called tank and beasts like guys do.

Djokovicfan4life
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Yea he's right, guys fat girls need love too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d9WDlSv5JE&feature=related

I thought you were going to post that Quagmire clip for a second there. You know, "fat chicks need love too, but they've gotta pay"! :)

Djokovicfan4life
11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't understand how commentators like Corina Morariu can say that Serena is one of the best movers on tour. That's just wrong. Maybe the most powerful, but the best mover? They're just kidding themselves.

AznHylite
11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
conclusion: Either way bigger women get critisized. when they want to be as womanly as possible and still be an athlete they get critisized for not working out or not being fit. Then when they do work out and as a result have alot more muscle than the other girls they are called a man for having biceps
* i gurantee you if you ask every girl in you class how they think about women with biceps and triceps and abs they'll respond negatively or as positivley as possible. Girls dont like to be called tank and beasts like guys do.

Well, I'm also 150% sure that they don't want to be called fat or obese either. Therefore, Serena should at least put some effort in personal fitness. There's really no point lumbering around on a court at the highest levels of tennis. We are criticizing her, not because she is fat but because she is a very good player, who could be better if she was lighter.

split-step
11-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't understand how commentators like Corina Morariu can say that Serena is one of the best movers on tour. That's just wrong. Maybe the most powerful, but the best mover? They're just kidding themselves.

LOL. I'm pretty sure Morariu knows better than you as to Serena's speed having played her and her sister.
And yes, Serena is one of the best movers on tour even at her sub-par level.

halalula1234
11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
her boobs seems a lot bigger,

Objective Danny
11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
If you look in the dictionary under the word 'unfit" you see a picture of Serena Williams. She need to retire, she bring nothing to the sport

Serena (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e4/fullj.d042489625a8426673891293e90f806d/d042489625a8426673891293e90f806d-getty-tennis-wta-qat-championships-williams.jpg)

WNocturne
11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
atleast she's muscular unlike many super thin girls :)

All-rounder
11-09-2008, 02:29 PM
call her fat but she's won all grand slams so maybe extra weight could do a bit better

tennisVS
11-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Australian Open 2007 is all I have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OUOCDMSM18&feature=related

SHUTUP!!! Serena knows how to win and thats what makes a champion stop hating.

tennisVS
11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
If you look in the dictionary under the word 'unfit" you see a picture of Serena Williams. She need to retire, she bring nothing to the sport

Serena (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e4/fullj.d042489625a8426673891293e90f806d/d042489625a8426673891293e90f806d-getty-tennis-wta-qat-championships-williams.jpg)

get lost you have no respect.

janipyt05
11-09-2008, 03:28 PM
nothing is wrong with her, lack of match play made her play sublime against Safina and fall apart when things got tough against her sister and pride was dented that's what caused this cagey injury.

tennisVS
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
nothing is wrong with her, lack of match play made her play sublime against Safina and fall apart when things got tough against her sister and pride was dented that's what caused this cagey injury.

Thank you for explaning that to these people. She looks the same as at the US OPEN.

janipyt05
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
^^ you are welcome once in a while someone will come along and give you a proper answer ignore the silly people messing about, its hard but it can be done :-)

These folks can talk all they like but they forget Serena anhialated the field at Wimbledon and at the Us Open not dropping a set, so they can say what they like.

tennisVS
11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
^^ you are welcome once in a while someone will come along and give you a proper answer ignore the silly people messing about, its hard but it can be done :-)

These folks can talk all they like but they forget Serena anhialated the field at Wimbledon and at the Us Open not dropping a set, so they can say what they like.

Thats the truth except for she lost venus but, venus is awesome too!!! hence my avatar and my name VS means Venus and Serena

thalivest
11-09-2008, 03:50 PM

Yeah she annihlated the field at Wimbledon so badly that she lost the final in straight sets, LOL! Get real.

Yeah she did win the U.S Open. She can thank her father for telling Venus to lose if they played no matter how badly she outplayed Serena, and her outrageously generous sister for following her fathers orders.

So in the worst field in womens tennis history which had some no-serve/no forehand/slamless mediocrity like Jelena Jankovic end the year #1, Serena could only win one big event, and she needed one of the matches to be fixed by her father and sister to do it. What an amazing performance.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah she did win the U.S Open. She can thank her father for telling Venus to lose if they played no matter how badly she outplayed Serena, and her outrageously generous sister for following her fathers orders.

I keep reading this sentence and not only from you thalivest, but to be honest it's plain out nonsense. Venus is 28 years old and has won over 500 matches; I don't think her father had anything to do with chocking away those 10 set points against Serena. From the tone of your last sentence, you make it sound like Richard controls the outcome of their matches. The fault in that particular match falls in the lap of Venus, and her inability to close those tiebreaks. Judging by all these great threads that pop up about both women, it has become clear that damn if they do and damn if they don't. They will never win on this board, but it's that kind of negativity that keeps motivating them. So keep on with these wonderful theories, because they are still going to be out there making difficult for the new crop that comes and fall to the wayside.

janipyt05
11-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah she annihlated the field at Wimbledon so badly that she lost the final in straight sets, LOL! Get real.

So in the worst field in womens tennis history which had some no-serve/no forehand/slamless mediocrity like Jelena Jankovic end the year #1, Serena could only win one big event, and she needed one of the matches to be fixed by her father and sister to do it. What an amazing performance.

Yes she lost a match so do many players but she later doubles at Wimbledon, won Gold in doubles and again finished the field at the Us Open not dropping a set. Its all about the bigger picture as a tennis follower you should know that.

Its your guess that they choose who wins and loses, i for one don't think so but you have your opinion. You would be wrong this year Serena won Miami, Bangalore, Charleston, Wimbledon doubles, Gold doubles and Us Open making the most money in one year, Jankovic ending as year end number 1 is down to playing many more tours than Serena and V who have never played more than 13 tours.

To suggest that the father fixes the matches is so disrespectful to what he has done for them in the first place, it may be hard for you to digest 2 sisters playing each other and thats fine. You think Venus felt sorry for her sister when winning Wimbledon for the fifth time you have to be joking, you think Venus didn't want to win the Us Open in the semi's match or that Serena wanted it more than her sister 7-6,7-6 is not a score line of a fixed match, missing set points and break points is nothing new, plenty of players choke and or mess up on big points, they were hungry for it, had Serena played anyone other than her sister you wouldn't question the matches but because they are sisters you think other wise, how sad really. Serena is a fighter and wants slams for herself not for her sister or for anyone else.

The sisters have worked hard this year to be back in the top ten and the results speak for themselves. Between them they have won 11 titles, not small titles but the big titles, let me break it down for you

Serena 08
Banagalore tier 2
Miami tier 1
Charleston tier 1
Wimbledon doubles
Gold doubles
Us Open 3rd one

V 08
Wimbledon for the 5th time
Wimbledon doubles slam
Doubles Gold (Olympics onces very 4 years)
Zurich tier 2
Sony Ericsson end of year Championships one of THE biggest prizes in tennis

thalivest
11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I keep reading this sentence and not only from you thalivest, but to be honest it's plain out nonsense. Venus is 28 years old and has won over 500 matches; I don't think her father had anything to do with chocking away those 10 set points against Serena. From the tone of your last sentence, you make it sound like Richard controls the outcome of their matches. The fault in that particular match falls in the lap of Venus, and her inability to close those tiebreaks. Judging by all these great threads that pop up about both women, it has become clear that damn if they do and damn if they don't. They will never win on this board, but it's that kind of negativity that keeps motivating them. So keep on with these wonderful theories, because they are still going to be out there making difficult for the new crop that comes and fall to the wayside.

Many of us on here were posting during this match and it became so obvious it was staged by the 2nd set, that in the tiebreak we all predicted confidently Venus would lose 5 straight points when she was up 6-3 in the tiebreak with the easiest errors possible. Lo and behold it happened. Hey I guess we are all just psychic though. The amazing credit some on thread give Serena for winning that match is a bunch of BS either way. Venus controlled the whole match and simply gave it to Serena, even if it wasnt by design it was still pathetic. All Serena did right was be on court while that happened. I have never seem a player screw up that many set points by missing so many easy shots on nearly every single one. If it wasnt fixed then
it was the worst choke in womens tennis history instead.

As for the so called new crop of women, quite frankly I think they all suck. I dont give a damn about any of them, there is no new crop woman who impresses me at all, who I care about their fortunes, or who I care whatsoever whether things are more difficult for them or not. The WTA championships only served as further evidence how pathetic the current WTA is, Vera freaking Zvonareva in the final, ROTFL!!! In almost any other year she wouldnt have even qualified for the event. So why would I care about this so called "new crop" of mediocre talents (I assume you mean people like Ivanovic, Jankovic, the other Russians) who cant serve, cant volley, cant strategize, can barely keep balls in court, dont even hit that hard, and who we would have never heard of in any other era.

Venus and Serena like everyone else benefit from the worst field in womens tennis history and they still are not even halfway to the achievements of the true all time greatest even with the benefit of this field of clowns. Also another reality check, Venus is 28 and Serena is 27. Their window will only be open another 2-3 years at most. If Navratilova the queen of longevity, athletic ability, and fitness training was done winning slams once she turned 31 (other then one last fluke Wimbledon when all the big guns were taken out for her) then Venus and Serena are definitely nearing their end. This isnt wishful thinking, it is reality. It is also not what I am looking forward to as despite their pathetic underachieving, their total lack of commitment to fitness and training, I will concede they are now the only things holding up the pathetic WTA. With Henin and Clijsters retired early, Sharpova always hurt, and the rest of the tour clowns, Venus and Serena are the only worthwhile participents left even while they give it only a half assed effort (or in Serena's case double assed). Unless some women of actual talent emerges on tour in the next few years, to be ready to fill the void when the Williams days of winning big titles are over for good, the WTA will have a hard time even staying afloat by that point.

navratilovafan
11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
As for the so called new crop of women, quite frankly I think they all suck. I dont give a damn about any of them, there is no new crop woman who impresses me at all, who I care about their fortunes, or who I care whatsoever whether things are more difficult for them or not. The WTA championships only served as further evidence how pathetic the current WTA is, Vera freaking Zvonareva in the final, ROTFL!!! In almost any other year she wouldnt have even qualified for the event. So why would I care about this so called "new crop" of mediocre talents (I assume you mean people like Ivanovic, Jankovic, the other Russians) who cant serve, cant volley, cant strategize, can barely keep balls in court, dont even hit that hard, and who we would have never heard of in any other era.

So true. This season was probably the lowest standard of tennis overall in the history of womens tennis. I wonder if anyone even still watches the WTA. As a longtime follower of the WTA tour it is heartbreaking to see it reach such a low point. I never imagined even at its lowest point it could sink to such depths of desparity.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Many of us on here were posting during this match and it became so obvious it was staged by the 2nd set, that in the tiebreak we all predicted confidently Venus would lose 5 straight points when she was up 6-3 in the tiebreak with the easiest errors possible. Lo and behold it happened. Hey I guess we are all just psychic though. The amazing credit some on thread give Serena for winning that match is a bunch of BS either way. Venus controlled the whole match and simply gave it to Serena, even if it wasnt by design it was still pathetic. All Serena did right was be on court while that happened. I have never seem a player screw up that many set points by missing so many easy shots on nearly every single one. If it wasnt fixed then
it was the worst choke in womens tennis history instead.

I have never given Serena praise for winning that match; I gave Venus more credit for basically chocking and rolling over for FB. It's one of those matches, just like her match against Clijsters back in 2005 that have me scratching my head. It's all in the past and just hope she has learnt from those mistakes.

The new crop that I am referring to is those that you did mention with the likes of Ivanovic, Safina (who by the way has gained almost the same over hyped notoriety like her nut case of a brother on this board). But I was also referring to those that were much younger than both women: Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters that have all flamed out. You might mock the achievement of Vera’s run this week, but she played I think 29 matches after the US Open to get to the YEC and she deserves everything that she got this week. Juding by your statement, I am assuming that you are not a fan of the WTA, but it’s irrelevant to even bring up eras because with the increase of technology and physicality in the game today has made it harder, at least for me to gauge how these players would have feared. The players today, are just interested in bashing the ball as hard as possible, nothing more.

Venus and Serena like everyone else benefit from the worst field in womens tennis history and they still are not even halfway to the achievements of the true all time greatest even with the benefit of this field of clowns. Also another reality check, Venus is 28 and Serena is 27. Their window will only be open another 2-3 years at most. If Navratilova the queen of longevity, athletic ability, and fitness training was done winning slams once she turned 31 (other then one last fluke Wimbledon when all the big guns were taken out for her) then Venus and Serena are definitely nearing their end. This isnt wishful thinking, it is reality. It is also not what I am looking forward to as despite their pathetic underachieving, their total lack of commitment to fitness and training, I will concede they are now the only things holding up the pathetic WTA. With Henin and Clijsters retired early, Sharpova always hurt, and the rest of the tour clowns, Venus and Serena are the only worthwhile participents left even while they give it only a half assed effort (or in Serena's case double assed). Unless some women of actual talent emerges on tour in the next few years, to be ready to fill the void when the Williams days of winning big titles are over for good, the WTA will have a hard time even staying afloat by that point.

According to the many brilliant posters on this board, their window has been closed every year, yet they are always in the conversation. When Navratilova at 31 got her last slam, she did benefit from an easy draw. But Martina lived and breathed tennis, in today’s game, there is so much more physical and mental demand for those women, that if they don’t pace themselves they will flame out. Jelena Jankovic has been lucky so far, but that will catch up with her. Guess what it may not be wishful thinking on you end, but there are many that hope that their end is near. Maria Sharapova’s injuries may prove as a blessing for her in the long run as it may help prolong her career, after all the girl is what? 20? 21? I am hoping that Justine Henin decided to come back with a brand new knee and restore some type of order, so the rest of the field can get in gear

Topaz
11-09-2008, 05:04 PM
The reason Vera is in the YEC is because she worked hard and improved, and played and *won* a lot of matches, including over our current #1 player and reigning Olympic champion.

Funny how some of you don't even consider the possible of a player getting better...nope...you brand them and then that's it. If, instead of constantly criticizing the women, you actually *watched* them, you would know this. And you would have been able to see some very high quality tennis matches this past week (both semis, the final, and pretty much any match that Vera played).

janipyt05
11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I have never given Serena praise for winning that match; I gave Venus more credit for basically chocking and rolling over for FB. It's one of those matches, just like her match against Clijsters back in 2005 that have me scratching my head. It's all in the past and just hope she has learnt from those mistakes.

The new crop that I am referring to is those that you did mention with the likes of Ivanovic, Safina (who by the way has gained almost the same over hyped notoriety like her nut case of a brother on this board). But I was also referring to those that were much younger than both women: Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters that have all flamed out. You might mock the achievement of Vera’s run this week, but she played I think 29 matches after the US Open to get to the YEC and she deserves everything that she got this week. Juding by your statement, I am assuming that you are not a fan of the WTA, but it’s irrelevant to even bring up eras because with the increase of technology and physicality in the game today has made it harder, at least for me to gauge how these players would have feared. The players today, are just interested in bashing the ball as hard as possible, nothing more.

According to the many brilliant posters on this board, their window has been closed every year, yet they are always in the conversation. When Navratilova at 31 got her last slam, she did benefit from an easy draw. But Martina lived and breathed tennis, in today’s game, there is so much more physical and mental demand for those women, that if they don’t pace themselves they will flame out. Jelena Jankovic has been lucky so far, but that will catch up with her. Guess what it may not be wishful thinking on you end, but there are many that hope that their end is near. Maria Sharapova’s injuries may prove as a blessing for her in the long run as it may help prolong her career, after all the girl is what? 20? 21? I am hoping that Justine Henin decided to come back with a brand new knee and restore some type of order, so the rest of the field can get in gear

Fab post, i can't agree more with you.

No matter how many things people want to point about the Williams sisters they keep coming back because they want to be here, Serena and V have enough money and have got enough titles to rightly bid the game goodbye, they feel they have much to gain from the game and remain for that very reason. As V said today she stays because of the titles and NOT the ranking. As far as i see so long as she wins majors be it 1 or 2 in a year its better than Jankovic's none shoot she can keep the number 1 ranking with no slam its don't mean a thing. I hope however Jankovic can win a slam and really call herself the best, V has nothing to prove because she has too many title BIG titles than can shut the likes of Jankovic and Safina.

thalivest
11-10-2008, 01:24 AM

Ok good. Atleast we agree on that much. Venus totally should have won the U.S Open this year and it is a huge shame she found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in that match for some inexplicible reason. She definitely should have ended this year as Wimbledon, U.S Open, and year end WTA championships champion.

The new crop that I am referring to is those that you did mention with the likes of Ivanovic, Safina (who by the way has gained almost the same over hyped notoriety like her nut case of a brother on this board). But I was also referring to those that were much younger than both women: Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters that have all flamed out.

Fine, but women like Justine and Kim who were a huge part of the womens game flaming out at 23 and 25 is a huge part of the problems that womens tennis is facing now. When two of its brightest stars just walk away so young, it contributes to it being alot more shallow at the top. Especialy when you then add in the injuries that Venus, Serena, Maria all seem to have come and go too, and the lack of any truly good 20 years old and under talent emerging at the moment.

You might mock the achievement of Vera’s run this week, but she played I think 29 matches after the US Open to get to the YEC and she deserves everything that she got this week.

She obviously won the matches that she had to thus deserved to be in the final more then anyone outside her opponent. I am sure she earned it. However it doesnt impress me at all when players like Zvonareva and Bartoli are playing in finals for the biggest titles in the last 15 months. That simply should not be happening, and serves as evidence of the womens field lacking in depth and strength and consistency right now.

Juding by your statement, I am assuming that you are not a fan of the WTA, but it’s irrelevant to even bring up eras because with the increase of technology and physicality in the game today has made it harder, at least for me to gauge how these players would have feared. The players today, are just interested in bashing the ball as hard as possible, nothing more.

I used to be a fan of the WTA. I am not because of the current state of the WTA. Not enough consistency, not enough depth at the very top, too many injuries, too many unforced errors, too many early flameouts or true champions playing at their best. Yeah you are right the players today are just interested in bashing the ball as hard as possible. That is exactly a big part of the problem. How is that good, especialy when almost all the women, with rare exceptions like the Williams and a healthy Maria, dont have the strength or ability to do this and simply end up spraying every other ball out.

According to the many brilliant posters on this board, their window has been closed every year, yet they are always in the conversation.

Well anyone who predicts the Wiliams would definitely never again win slams at this point are fools I agree. Especialy given the current state of the WTA saying their window is closing at this exact moment is plain dumb.

However those who predict they wont ever return to the players they used to be, or to ever dominate again, have not exactly wrong either. They after all dominated a much tougher womens field in 2002-2003, yet they arent even able to dominate and be consistent among the current awful womens field which isnt even half as good as the 1999-2003 field they dominated. So that alone shows how far from their former best they are even though they are having great success still.

When Navratilova at 31 got her last slam, she did benefit from an easy draw. But Martina lived and breathed tennis, in today’s game, there is so much more physical and mental demand for those women, that if they don’t pace themselves they will flame out.

Fine you have a point there. Remember though Martina only really lived and breated tennis starting at 25 or 26 though. Before that she never came close to doing this, so it wasnt as long as one might think.

Jelena Jankovic has been lucky so far, but that will catch up with her.

I agree. It also hasnt helped her win her squat that matters yet, regardless her #1 ranking.

Guess what it may not be wishful thinking on you end, but there are many that hope that their end is near.

Well I guess I would ask these people then what would be left to hold up the already overall pitiful womens game if they are gone. The Williams are what is holding it up on their own pretty much right now. Maria's career could be over with her chronic shoulder problems, and if that is the case there will be nothing when the Williams are gone.

Maria Sharapova’s injuries may prove as a blessing for her in the long run as it may help prolong her career, after all the girl is what? 20? 21?

Hopefully so. She is the only potential long term star of the womens game amongst its current young. So even though she is not my favorite either I hope that is exactly how it works out for her. If she cant make a full recovery and have a long career still, then once the Williams are done winning slams due to advanced age womens tennis will become like alphabet soup. A bunch of mediocre no-names trading slams around, probably something like 12 different winners in 3 years. It will be like the mens heavyweight division in boxing has become.

I am hoping that Justine Henin decided to come back with a brand new knee and restore some type of order, so the rest of the field can get in gear

Again given the dearth of quality players outside the Williams and a healthy Maria, of course her return would be welcomed. I would be absolutely amazed if she does return. I dont think the knee was the problem at all either. I think dead motivation and no passion to keep playing was the real problem. Like she said after her retirement annoucnement, you cant fake it, it is either there or it isnt. She also doesnt have the insane athletic ability and overwhelming physicality to go at it casually and still be successful the way the Williams have done the last 5 years. I have read articles about her and seems very settled and happy away from the game now, no drive to return.

AustraliA
11-10-2008, 02:06 AM
She wouldn't beat me.. And I am also a little over weight..

Her problem is that bashing may work on the WTA. But to any one else with a brain. She has no thinking skills..

LafayetteHitter
11-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Her problem is that bashing may work on the WTA. But to any one else with a brain. She has no thinking skills..

What is your ranking in Australia?

Topaz
11-10-2008, 09:11 AM

Hahahaha...delusional.

LafayetteHitter
11-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Yea, I think he may have missed his memo!

http://i34.tinypic.com/10ckllk.jpg