PDA

View Full Version : Prince Diablo Mid - is it worth taking for a spin?

BruceG
11-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Im using the POG mid and have been, on and off, for some years now. Happy with it, always have been, but I do like to change things up every now and again, take a break from old faithful and try something new. Ive been curious about the Prince Diablo Mid since it came out but, back then, Id just bought 3 POG Mids and there wasnt any point trying something else. Down to my last POG mid now and before I grab a couple more I thought I could take a detour with something different.

So, whats the verdict? Is the Diablo Mid worth taking for a run (I dont demo, I buy because the demo period is too short and I like to experiment with strings)? I know the feel will be different to the POG mid, that's okay, but what other differences should I be expecting?

nalk7
11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Ive had very limited experience with the POG mid, but Ive played a couple matches with the diablo, and its a very nice racquet. I really enjoyed it, If I were you I would definitely demo it. Sorry I cant compare the two :s

phamster
11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
i got one coming to me for demo so i can let you know.
i play the redondo, also i play the wilson pstour90 yellow inner hoop, and the black ace 86 old school.

so i will give you good info, later though.

phamster

BruceG
11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
nalk7,
like I said, I don't demo, I buy and keep or sell depending.

phamster,

Will look for your comments.

cxw0106
11-08-2008, 02:03 AM
My suggestion is don't waste time on Demos. Diablo Mid is one of the best. Stick to Diablo.

I have 3 Diablo Mids. I've never found a racquet that is as good as Diablo Mid. I serve best with Diablo Mid (Better than with POG Mid). Hit crazily topspin from both forehand side and backhand side. It's the most stable racquet compared to other racquet. Slice is also great. It has much larger sweetspot than lots of other racquets. And it's comfortable racquet as long as you don't put Poly on the frame. What else do you need?

In D Zone
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
You may need to change you game a little bit due to the difference in string pattern.

Ironically, I traded my POG mid with Diablo tour. I like the Diablo better - much bigger sweet spot and offers much stability.

phamster
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
i should be getting my diablo tomorrow !!

i will be back.

phamster

Murray_Maniac
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
My suggestion is don't waste time on Demos. Diablo Mid is one of the best. Stick to Diablo.

I have 3 Diablo Mids. I've never found a racquet that is as good as Diablo Mid. I serve best with Diablo Mid (Better than with POG Mid). Hit crazily topspin from both forehand side and backhand side. It's the most stable racquet compared to other racquet. Slice is also great. It has much larger sweetspot than lots of other racquets. And it's comfortable racquet as long as you don't put Poly on the frame. What else do you need?

Amen Brotha! It my holy grail too. Though, I can handle a luxilon/gut hybrid. Cant wait til your feedback phamster!

In D Zone
11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
i should be getting my diablo tomorrow !!

i will be back.

phamster

Phamster,

Did you receive delivery of the Diablo Tour Mid?

I have been playing the N90 Tour lately. Today, I decided to play my Diablo in a match. THe Diablo is sick!!! It plays close to the N90 Tour - but the Diablo is a tad lighter to swing which made it even more deadlier. I was hitting insane spin - my opponent was complementing that he had to move all the way back. What's more surprising was that hit more winners on my 1bhb and hitting angle shots with my forehand as well.

I was just floored with how well the Diablo performed.

Let me know how it plays....

HeadPrestige
11-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Phamster,

Did you receive delivery of the Diablo Tour Mid?

I have been playing the N90 Tour lately. Today, I decided to play my Diablo in a match. THe Diablo is sick!!! It plays close to the N90 Tour - but the Diablo is a tad lighter to swing which made it even more deadlier. I was hitting insane spin - my opponent was complementing that he had to move all the way back. What's more surprising was that hit more winners on my 1bhb and hitting angle shots with my forehand as well.

I was just floored with how well the Diablo performed.

Let me know how it plays....

the diablo is a spin MACHINE

lilxjohnyy
11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
personally i think that POG is more of a spin machine than the diablo.....

HeadPrestige
11-18-2008, 09:54 PM
personally i think that POG is more of a spin machine than the diablo.....

edit for being a jackass

BruceG
11-19-2008, 07:15 PM
this thread is about the diablo not the POG

I asked about differences between the POG and Diablo so lilxjohnyy was spot on.

In D Zone
11-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Congrats mate, you .................. one post. I asked about differences between the POG and Diablo so lilxjohnyy was spot on. But you didn't even bother to say something about either one of the racquets. Good one!

yoh....... chill BruceG!
no reason to get too upset here. :shock:

BruceG
11-19-2008, 09:41 PM
yoh....... chill BruceG!
no reason to get too upset here. :shock:

Agreed D, I just hate those guys who come on here and try to mock someone when they're the ones who haven't bothered to read the OP or understand the thread.

Tell me a bit more about your experience with the Diablo. I do enjoy my POG Mids but I'm curious to see if there's anything more I can get out of the Diablo mid or if there's a trade-off that Im happy to make(eg: less spin, more stable off-center, etc).

HeadPrestige
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I asked about differences between the POG and Diablo so lilxjohnyy was spot on.

oops.. my bad.. sorry lilxjohnny

In D Zone
11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Agreed D, I ........

Tell me a bit more about your experience with the Diablo. I do enjoy my POG Mids but I'm curious to see if there's anything more I can get out of the Diablo mid or if there's a trade-off that Im happy to make(eg: less spin, more stable off-center, etc).

I found the Diablo mid to be stable and head lite (great for all court play). I did not feel any vibration on the frame especially during heavy exhanges. I normally play aggressive from the get go especially when returning serve.

You'll feel the Diablo to be low powered from the get go (understandably due to denser pattern). I don't think you'll have an issue with generating power and spin with the Diablo especially if you are used to playing with POG. Just keep your arm relax with each swing and let Diablo do the work for you. I do believe that you'll find the Diablo to offer betta control.

Hope this help!

Amone
11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I really like the Diablo Mid. I would usually recommend trying it, but if you can't-- it's worth using. When I started using it, I didn't think it was "that great." But then, I went on to use a couple other racquets, and not like them much, I gained a lot of new respect for it.

I can't say the spin's great, but I don't have a problem with making spin. I don't have trouble getting to volleys, or hitting serves. I don't feel anything about it is overwhelmingly great. Just, like Federer, there's nothing WRONG with it. No complaints, if you will.

(I admit that I don't like it stock as much as I liked it when I had a lot of tape on it, but I wouldn't admit to recommending that part to anyone else.)

TheShaun
11-20-2008, 07:38 PM
can anyone compare the diablo mid to the BB 11 mid?

NickC
11-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I had a love affair with the Diablo MP. I still do, on occasion. A little bit of lead up top (and a bit more at 3/9) and Alu Power Spin at 55. Simply orgasmic stuff. Amazing power, amazing spin, amazing control, and for a big headsize and strung with lux it had good touch. I was able to serve flat out bombs (I was using this setup when I clocked my fastest serve around 110) and my kick serves actually kicked (for once!) and my slice serves were deadly. Good stuff.

Never tried the mid, though. If it's anything similar it should be good stuff. I hear it's quite good with a nice full VS Touch 17 bed around 56-60 pounds. Great for S&V.

bluetrain4
11-20-2008, 08:22 PM
It really is a great frame. Solid in all aspects of the game. But, it will not appeal to people who like flexy, soft frames.

If you think 93 sq inches is too small, don't be turned off. The sweetspot is huge, comparable to most 95s and even some 98s.

Wonderful with 17g poly strung mid-tension.

In D Zone
11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
can anyone compare the diablo mid to the BB 11 mid?

Think of the Diablo Tour Mid a tad lighter version of the K90 or the N90. It is stiffer if you are comparing it to the BB11 mid.
I have played both within the days of each other and honestly I love playing both of them ( i have both of them in my bag along with the k90 and n90). I would say the flex feel of the the BB11 mid is a welcome change especially if I am playing too back to back games.

lilxjohnyy
11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey Headprestige... its allright, i know it wasnt intentional.

BruceG
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I had a love affair with the Diablo MP.

I'm only looking for input about the Diablo MID and POG MID, not the Diablo MP, thanks anyway.

skierpaul
11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
of about 25 rackets that I demoed, the Diablo Mid was one of the worst rackets for me. You'll definitely want to demo it before you buy one to find out for yourself. IMHO, the Wilson Kfactor, Head MG Prestige, Dunlop AG 100, and the Vantage 90 all blow it away.