PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3 Graphite 100 Review

goldenyama
11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
So...I FINALLY got a chance to take the new Prince EXO3 Graphite 100 out for a hit. It was strung with Prince syn gut w/ duraflex 16g.

Specs: 100sq in, 19.5 straight beam, 310g unstrung, 33cm/13in balance, 27in long, 16x18, swing weight 290, power level 775, tension 50-60lbs.

I will post better pics later.

I am afraid to say that I did not like this stick at all. It felt awful. It should have been named the Tinny 100. Having said that, it performed OK or better in several categories. So here is a brief review using a similar format to TW:

Overall 69
Volleys - 68 Maneuverable but unstable and lacking in feel.
Topspin - 84 Great topspin potential.
Slice - 80 Nice bite.
Returns - 66 No good for dealing with big serves.
Groundstrokes - 69 Great spin and maneuverability, poor stability against faster balls.
Serves & Overheads - 76 Good spin on serves. Easy to put smashes away.
Touch/Feel - 60 Tinny.
Comfort - 70 Surprisingly not too bad considering the tinny feel.
Stability - 65 Definately unstable against pace.
Maneuveribilty - 84 SW of 290 makes it very easy to whip around.
Control - 74 Not bad.
Power - 70 Needs lead.

So there we have it. I did not enjoy hitting with the EXO3 Graphite 100. I realise that it was only strung with syn gut, but so are almost all the racquets that I demo.

I do think that the EXO3 has some potential though. Add 5g of lead to the handle and 15g at 3 and 9 then give it a premium stringjob and you might be in business. I won`t be finding out.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2599/0094zt7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/0094zt7.jpg/1/w240.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img118/0094zt7.jpg/1/)

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1963/0095hu6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/0095hu6.jpg/1/w240.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img361/0095hu6.jpg/1/)

pfchang
11-07-2008, 05:51 PM
so it was doodoo?

any insight on the 93" and the rebel 95"?

thanks much though.

Nanshiki
11-07-2008, 05:56 PM
What did you expect of a gimmicky racquet designed for Japan?

pfchang
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
What did you expect of a gimmicky racquet designed for Japan?

true, true. :)

cujays
11-07-2008, 06:05 PM
wow im surprised on how poor you said this racket was
withall the hype surrounding this racket i thought it would be better

goldenyama
11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
pfchang - Yeah it was doodoo. I will give the Rebel 95 a go next week. At the moment only the Graphite 100 and Rebel 95 are available.

I was surprised at how bad it felt too. I will be interested in some more opinions when somebody else gets a chance to hit with it.

kimguroo
11-07-2008, 07:35 PM
what was the insert? was it string port or string hole insert?

if you played other speedport rackets, Can you compare it to other speedport rackets?

I have speedport tour rackets but I want to have slight lighter than tour so I considered either Rebel 95 or graphite 100.

thanks for your review and looking forward to hearing rebel review.

pfchang
11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
pfchang - Yeah it was doodoo. I will give the Rebel 95 a go next week. At the moment only the Graphite 100 and Rebel 95 are available.

I was surprised at how bad it felt too. I will be interested in some more opinions when somebody else gets a chance to hit with it.

just a question, what racquets are you using now, or any well known sticks that you can compare to?

does it compare to regular speedports at all?

i'm not surprised by the lack of feel, it's a well known fact among O3 users.

so did you not like the feel at all or was it the un-stableness that made you dislike it?

tenniscore
11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
people should be required to post links video (on youtube or something) of themselves playing when they post a review so we know who we are listening to...

only mentioning because i know a bunch of guys who have tested (still playing with blacked out versions of) the exo 100 and are swearing by it. And, while I am sure goldenyama is a decent player - i would put these guys up against him/her in terms of knowledge and talent any day -considering they are some of the best players in the world...So people should show us their skills when they come back from hitting a racket and post a review so we can see their playing style and skill level - it would be really helpful and the only way to get a real read on whether it's the racket or the player...maybe you can do that when you review the rebel 95?

afterall, goldenyama could be a player who shouldnt be swinging the graphite 100 under any circumstances - how do we know?? Even if it was a few groundstrokes, volleys and serves, think it could be really helpful on these boards and take out some confusion - would be cool to see IMO :) Just a thought...

goober
11-09-2008, 10:04 AM
people should be required to post links video (on youtube or something) of themselves playing when they post a review so we know who we are listening to...

only mentioning because i know a bunch of guys who have tested (still playing with blacked out versions of) the exo 100 and are swearing by it. And, while I am sure goldenyama is a decent player - i would put these guys up against him/her in terms of knowledge and talent any day -considering they are some of the best players in the world...So people should show us their skills when they come back from hitting a racket and post a review so we can see their playing style and skill level - it would be really helpful and the only way to get a real read on whether it's the racket or the player...maybe you can do that when you review the rebel 95?

afterall, goldenyama could be a player who shouldnt be swinging the graphite 100 under any circumstances - how do we know?? Even if it was a few groundstrokes, volleys and serves, think it could be really helpful on these boards and take out some confusion - would be cool to see IMO :) Just a thought...

Its one persons opinion. It doesn't need video.

The TW staff video with racquet reviews are interesting but do little to sway me one way or the other.

pfchang
11-09-2008, 10:27 AM

nice thought, but this isn't the place man. goldenyama managed to get his hands on a new stick and take the time to post it up. however, it is a thought to bear in mind during reviews.

NickC
11-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Won't it be much heavier when they make one to sell in the states?

pfchang
11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Won't it be much heavier when they make one to sell in the states?

probly not. it's already 310 grams unstrung, so that's what the classic POG weighs.

TheRringer
11-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Actually the POG 93 weighs 330g unstrung, but i agree with NicholasCole and I think that the US version of this racquet will probably be heavier.

pfchang
11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Actually the POG 93 weighs 330g unstrung, but i agree with NicholasCole and I think that the US version of this racquet will probably be heavier.

right, but the one the OP reviewed is a 100"

goldenyama
11-10-2008, 12:30 AM
goober - I would rate myself a 4.5 (although I think self-rating is BS). I play mainly doubles here in Japan but I prefer singles. I am a counter-punching baseliner with a heavy topspin forehand and flattish 2HBH. I hit most of my winners from the backhand side. My volleys are inconsistent and my slice average, I rarely ever slice. Overheads are a strength. Biggish first serve, good body serves and down the T, inconsistent going wide. Average kick second serve, mental issues with this on big points. I do OK in small local tournaments and I won my old club`s (YC&AC) doubles cup last year. Nothing special, but I know my way around the court.

If those guys you know are that good, then I would listen to them instead of me for sure! However, can you be sure that the racquets that they were given by Prince are the same as the frames you can buy in the store? If they are some of the best players in the world then they are likely to be getting the cream of the Prince crop. I wonder if their frames are heavier, or if they add lead?

pfchang, my main weapon is the Head Twin Tube Radical Tour OS. I own about 18 frames and have played with many more - I like hefty, flexy, low-powered OS frames. I can compare the EXO3 to the MG Rad, nBlade OS, POG OS, Avery m5, Dunlop AG500 Tour, Yonex RDS002 Tour and in my opinion it is far inferior to all of those.

It was mainly the terrible feel of the frame that made me dislike it, but I did also find it unstable.

The only other `big-holed` Prince racquet I have used is my friend`s Ozone Tour. I didn`t particularly like it, but it definately didn`t feel as tinny as the EXO3.

I may not be the right person to review this frame as I haven`t had much experience with speedports or modern Prince frames. I do have experience with the current POG OS however and I find the EXO3 to be far inferior.

Duzza
11-10-2008, 12:48 AM
These racquets, the EXO3 Rebel and Graphite will fail. They will not sell at all, I have a feeling. Prince is really off with the tennis community's idea of good racquets these days....sales dropping.

AndrewD
11-10-2008, 01:07 AM
people should be required to post links video (on youtube or something) of themselves playing when they post a review so we know who we are listening to

Perhaps we should demand that people reading reviews post videos of themselves playing so we can be certain they're accomplished enough to understand what we're talking about. Perhaps they can even include their friends, who just happen to be some of the best players in the world.

Perhaps we should also demand that people who get so testy when others dismiss a particular brand keep it zipped.

AustraliA
11-10-2008, 01:13 AM
These racquets, the EXO3 Rebel and Graphite will fail. They will not sell at all, I have a feeling. Prince is really off with the tennis community's idea of good racquets these days....sales dropping.

Yes..

A POG with holes..

A real advanced idea Prince... ;)

AustraliA
11-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Perhaps we should demand that people reading reviews post videos of themselves playing so we can be certain they're accomplished enough to understand what we're talking about. Perhaps they can even include their friends, who just happen to be some of the best players in the world.

Perhaps we should also demand that people who get so testy when others dismiss a particular brand keep it zipped.

We can only wish!

themitchmann
11-10-2008, 04:01 AM
I don't think they'll fail at all. Let's face it though...for those of us who love the feel of the old time racquet, we will never be truly satisfied with today's frames. They're just a different animal. Technology has evolved and unless manufacturers go back to using the same materials and same processes used in creating our favorites, we will never really be satisfied. I grew up playing with a stick from the early 90's...no racquet I've played with since has had that same feel. I've zeroed in my new sticks to where I can play well with them, but I don't think I'll ever be happy with a racquet right off the shelf.

That being said, Prince has done well with their O3 technology and I think the introduction of these "players frames" will get more players demoing their racquets...and this is what Prince is hoping for. Looking forward to the Rebel 95 review. Thanks.

themitchmann
11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Golden...did you hit with the Rebel yet?

stormholloway
11-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Pat McEnroe and Roman Prokes both raved about the new midsized Graphite, according to Prokes. If this one is "tinny" how can the mid not be? Sorry to hear this. Like to hear a review of the mid.

unrealized
12-17-2008, 07:42 AM
love this racquet, been playing with it for about a week now, very solid from the baseline!!
try it, dont take this guys word for it!!

raygo
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Prince doesn't release 'Asian' versions of their racquets, they are the same spec as what's released in the States. There are different MODELS sold here, like the O3 XF White (Sharapova racquet), but the regular O3 White is the same spec in both countries.

I'm a fan of the Prince Graphite mid, and this racquet is a toy by comparison on multiple levels. Too light, cheesy paint, and being so thin, generally felt flimsy..like an anorexic wannabe-supermodel sister. Does it 'suck'? No, that's too harsh. You can defend any racquet that doesn't physically break when you use it, that's not the point. It's insulting to POG users, though, for Prince to call this the 'new' Graphite. Not even in the same ballpark.

themitchmann
12-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Prince doesn't release 'Asian' versions of their racquets, they are the same spec as what's released in the States. There are different MODELS sold here, like the O3 XF White (Sharapova racquet), but the regular O3 White is the same spec in both countries.

Actually, they do...the Asian versions of the Rebel 95 and both Graphites are lighter than the US versions.

The Rebel Team is only available in the states, while the Rebel 105 is only available overseas. Also, the Vendetta line isn't available here in the states, and don't think it ever will be (according to my rep).

raygo
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the correction. Must be a new thing they're starting with the EXO3's. Their POG's and Diablos are all US spec.