PDA

View Full Version : Why is the pure control team so good?

topspinmonkey5
11-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Its just a great racket, it has it all, spin, control, power, stability. It really has opened up my game so much more versus the thicker beam, 100" frames. Its like night and day what i can do with the ball now. I tried the pure storm tour and to me it was a big step down. Does anybody feel the same way i do?

wangman31888
11-07-2008, 09:37 PM
if u like it, try the newer version, the pure storm. great racket

Ross K
11-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I do think it's a great racket and that one day it will be regarded with a certain proper esteem (for those who know what I'm talking about, a "rilf", for sure!) That said, it isn't for everyone, and despite two separate periods trying to master the frame, I always found it just too unpredictable and lively. As regards so called 'control', well, that always alluded me with this racket. And it was also a bit too harsh on the arm IMO.

However, I can still also clearly recognize it's a stand out, great b-liner frame. IMO it actually caters for the b-liner who is looking for just a tad extra (maybe why I find it a touch unpredictable?) In the right hands though (like F. Gonzales, for example!) it's deadly on both the fh and bh side - very zippy, booming, penetrating shots w/a lot of topspin. Plus it also serves v/powerfully and with good dynamic and spin.

BTW, see my signature for what I consider to be an obviously very similar but - for me anyway - better fitting frame.

R.

LPShanet
11-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Its just a great racket, it has it all, spin, control, power, stability. It really has opened up my game so much more versus the thicker beam, 100" frames. Its like night and day what i can do with the ball now. I tried the pure storm tour and to me it was a big step down. Does anybody feel the same way i do?

Many people agree with you, Mr. Monkey. And your screenname probably helps explain why...it's a great frame for baseliners who hit heavy topspin. In fact, a large number of former and current pro tour players agree with you, which is why they have Pure Controls under their more recent paintjobs. (See Gonzales, Ginepri, Carlsen, Becker, Warburg, Gimelstob, Chela, the list goes on...) In terms of comparing it to the PST, the Pure Controls were more "solid" due to a different layup construction, even though they used the same mold. The old (swirly) Pure Controls are even more solid, as they weighed slightly more and are even more stable. The PC series also seems to play a little "crisper" than the PST.