PDA

View Full Version : Help adding lead to the butt

Matty G
11-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I want to add some lead to the but of my raquet . Is this the right way to do it?
http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p0811080818pc6.jpg
3 grams stuck together and wraped with tape

http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p081108081801wu6.jpg
The lead put in the butt.

All i need to do now is put the butt cap back on , right?

Tennisguy777
11-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I guess you can do it that way. I usually use lead tape and I actually wrap it on the handle under the original grip. Maybe you should put some cotton around it so that you don't get annoyed by clanking sounds when you hit balls.

lwto
11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I basically do the same thing..

except:

I put alittle bit of cotton ball before the weight and thats because I use hot glue to secure the weight, cause whats going to happen is this:

Rattle and vibration that is very annoying.

Only secure way to prevent the rattle is to get a $4.00 hot glue gun set and shoot some hot glue in there to secure the weight.

TW has a nice article concerning this.

But, believe me, if you don't use hot glue to secure it.. it will start vibrating on the first hit you make.

cheers!

Harry_Wild
11-11-2008, 08:10 PM
I just use coins - dime, nickel, quarter, etc... and tape them to the butt with aluminum tape. Duct tape is okay too. In this fashion; you can easily add or take out the weigh and the shape makes it easy to place. Also, no rattling! For example, quarter on bottom; and a nickel on top. Wrap a 1" square piece of tape and you are set!

iTennis
11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I use fishing weights...shape them with a pair of pliers for very tight press-fit inside the handle cavities. Two weights added about 13g, and no rattles even without any glue. I think you could use some epoxy just to be sure.

Il Mostro
11-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I've thought about the spray insulation for window gaps and the like -- the kind that expands after you spray it in the opening. Spray it into the butt and insert the weight, spray some more and it securely suspends the weight in the foam after it sets. I haven't done it yet -- just a notion at this point.

pfchang
11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
i think that should be fine, but i usually put it ON the buttcap.

so it's inside the little crevice.