PDA

View Full Version : Calling all you mid experts... it's top 3 time!

Ross K
11-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Okay. I'm thinking (again) of maybe exploring/purchasing some mid-sized frames (I posted perhaps 6 months ago on a similar theme.) This time however, I'd like to ask all you mid experts if you could have a go at actually naming your very top 3 mid frames and to also give very brief outlines of the particular qualities that these rods possess (I'm highly unfamiliar with mids but want to get a bit of education, as it were, from all you mid connoisseurs!)

So then... gimme those 'rilf' frames then!... and what makes them quite so sensational?

Cheers

R.

VGP
11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Top 3 in no particular order:

- Wilson Pro Staff Midsize
- Dunlop Max 200g
- Head Prestige 600

Searches on this board would do more justice than I can in one post.....

leonidas1982
11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Top 3 in no particular order:

- Wilson Pro Staff Midsize
- Dunlop Max 200g
- Head Prestige 600

Searches on this board would do more justice than I can in one post.....

Where do you think the KPS88 will fit, in the future?

Ross K
11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
^ Much obliged VGP...

I know a lot of you guys really know your stuff re mids, and I just want to pool together some of the most revered frames and get some informed info about them...

If anyone does wish to go into a bit of detail though please do so - I'm interested in the usual criteria of qualities and attributes, including wonderful feel and monster serve.

R.

Murray_Maniac
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
1.Prince Diablo mid: Nice power & forgiveness yet still has great stability & control. Is muted & stiff, but thats to my liking. Plus the sweetspot is higher. Not as demanding as K90 or prostaff 6.0, which I particulary like.
2. Volkl Dnx10 mid- Amazing Racquet. Has amazing feel, forgiveness & power. I love serve and volleying with this. However, when I really swing out on the baseline with this, it can be unstable, but then again tighter strings can fix that. Feel is sometimes unpredictable, sometimes more flexy or stiff, which some may like or dislike.

I dont really have a third favorite mid. However I can say if you need have played with these and need a more demanding racquet, try the rds001 mid, k90, or Prostaff 6.0 85. Likewise if those 3 are too demanding for you, try my favorite two. I havent demoed the dunlop ag 100, kbt, mg prestige mid, or other volkls but Ive heard their pretty forgiving and solid. But I have hit with the mg prestige pro, which Ive heard plays like the mid, & imo plays similar to the rds001 mid.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
^ Cheers MM... very nice...

I can't repeat enough, everyone- I know very little about these rods...

And I must say midsters I am waiting to hear about, er, 2 particular frames that have caught my attention in dispatches, so to speak...

R.

JacKKyKung
11-08-2008, 10:18 AM
^ Much obliged VGP...

I know a lot of you guys really know your stuff re mids, and I just want to pool together some of the most revered frames and get some informed info about them...

If anyone does wish to go into a bit of detail though please do so - I'm interested in the usual criteria of qualities and attributes, including wonderful feel and monster serve.

R.

I'll summarize the criteria of attributes of Mids in my opinion.

The great mid they're also have great solid feel, stability, directional control, maneuverability.

My top 3 have all criteria.
1. Redondo, best comfort, suit to all around style.
2. Dunlop revelation 90, the black green one, i don't know exactly name but the one i've tried is belong to Anirut. You can ask him and all expert about this awesome solid stick.
3. Volkl tour10 Generation 1. very compromise mid.

Cheers.

TheShaun
11-08-2008, 11:24 AM
2. Volkl Dnx10 mid- Amazing Racquet. Has amazing feel, forgiveness & power. I love serve and volleying with this. However, when I really swing out on the baseline with this, it can be unstable, but then again tighter strings can fix that. Feel is sometimes unpredictable, sometimes more flexy or stiff, which some may like or dislike.

OP, if you're considering a mid, don't leave the BB 11 Mid off your list. It's similar to the DNX as mentioned above, but feel free to bash from the baseline with it too. very stable frame. it does everything the DNX does but better.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 11:33 AM
^ Cheers Shaun and Jack... more top info for me to digest... i've got a busy few days of researching ahead of me for sure!

Anirut, others - please feel free to give additional info re the particular Dunlop Rev 90 Jack was referring to...

R.

SirBlend12
11-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Try out a POG perhaps. I always liked the feel of the older graphite Princes (a LOT from the mid-late 80's). Give 'em a shot sometime. That or some old Snauwaerts. Solid as rocks.

pfchang
11-08-2008, 11:34 AM
i haven't played with a lot of mids, but i have to say, my favorite is the KBT, and that's why i use it.

my list:

1. KBT
2. K90
3. PS ROK

the KBT is a forgiving stick that i prefer over other 93" because of it's precision in accuracy and control. there's also incredible feel, those being the reason why i switched to it.

the K90 i actually thought was decent, but i didn't like the specs too much. granted, i was actually surprised i could handle it, but it felt like swinging a board, but there was great feel, and it seemed like there was more muscling of the ball over the KBT

the PS ROK is now a somewhat hard to find frame, but it's the precursor to the KBT basically. there's a lot less power, but same feel and precision. but a lower string tension may take care of this.

TonyB
11-08-2008, 11:35 AM
My top 3:

1. Wilson K90
2. Yonex RDS 001 mid
3. Dunlop AG100

Ross K
11-08-2008, 11:41 AM
^ Cheers chaps...

And still no mention at all of my 2 , er, special frames of interest?... nor barely a mention of the one frame I thought would be hogging all the headlines, so to speak - the PC600?

R.

pfchang
11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
^ Cheers chaps...

And still no mention at all of my 2 , er, special frames of interest?... nor barely a mention of the one frame I thought would be hogging all the headlines, so to speak - the PC600?

R.

ehh...i'm not too well educated on head sticks and frames before the 2000's...

Pushmaster
11-08-2008, 12:58 PM
1) PC 600
2) PS 6.0 85
3) Tour 90

The PS ROK deserves mention as well.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Ah-ha... ^ the PC600 gets its second mention!

drakulie
11-08-2008, 01:31 PM
PS85 Vincent
Ps85 Chicago
PS85 taiwan

:)

Applesauceman
11-08-2008, 01:39 PM
1) Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 85
2) Head Prestige 600
3) Prince Original Graphite

VGP
11-08-2008, 02:06 PM
PS85 Vincent
Ps85 Chicago
PS85 taiwan

While my earlier suggestions were a historical Top 3, what drakulie has recommended would be my personal Top 3. ;)

JacKKyKung
11-08-2008, 02:24 PM
PS85 Vincent
Ps85 Chicago
PS85 taiwan

What the different between them. I really don't know :confused:

Thaychua
11-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Ross, i see that you are trying to explore/purchase some mids to try and a lot of the suggested frames here are not readily available.

IMO, the best mids you can try and are easy to find are the K90, RDS 001 mid, or a custom Vantage 90 with your own spec. And seeing that you are coming from the PST, i don't think the transition should be that hard.

Of course, if you can find good deals on ps85 or pc600 then go for those, but they are getting harder and much more expensive to attain.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 02:59 PM
^ Thanks ppl... BTW, love your top 3 drak!

Okay... any of you have anything to say about the i. Prestige mid (I've heard it's an awesome serve rod but how about its general performance?) Also, the Fischer Pro Vac Stich 90 (I think that's the name, but I've found info on this very confusing... incidentally is that the same as the purplish-blue Fischer Pro Classic 90, and is this an excellent frame?) Lastly, was there a PT 630 but with the mid headsize (and I don't mean the PC600)?

R.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Thaychua - nice one, mate. ("Thumbs up sign.")

morten
11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
-1 ps85, -2 Fischer pro 90, -3 Head fxp mid(!)/Wilson tour90. After that in no order: Yonex rdx500, Estusa pbb, Vantage90

Ross K
11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
-1 ps85, -2 Fischer pro 90, -3 Head fxp mid(!)

Which Fischer Pro 90?... what is the cosmetic?... are there loads of different versions?

VGP
11-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Thaychua - no mention of the Cayman TNT-90?

morten
11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Which Fischer Pro 90?... what is the cosmetic?... are there loads of different versions?

purple/blue yes, 330grams. Stich. Think they made some 320 grams too, one blue, one silver, they were ok too.

Pushmaster
11-08-2008, 03:18 PM
You might want to consider some of the Puma\Estusa mids like the Super, Winner, and Power Beam Pro. All are fantastic sticks, way better than any of the newer mids. Also, the POG 90 4 stripe. I just got one in a trade and so far I'm really blown away. The only drawback to these sticks is that they are getting really hard to find now, but well worth the effort to get.

stormholloway
11-08-2008, 03:19 PM
1) PS 6.0
2) i.Prestige
3) Estusa Power Beam

Ross K
11-08-2008, 03:34 PM
So... the POG 4 stripe and PS 6.0 enter the fray!...

BTW, I'd love to hear someone say a bit more about the i. Prestige mid...

toughshot
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
1. MG Prestige Mid
2/3. KBT & K90

Honestly, those 3 and a prostaff 85 are the only mids i've had any experience with.

Thaychua
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Thaychua - no mention of the Cayman TNT-90?

Ha! I would love to mention the Cayman tnt90 as my number one choice, but why tempt someone with something they can never have :twisted:

Off topic a bit, do you have any experience with the Wilson "Staff" 100% graphite supposedly a clone of the ps85 VGP? I have a pair- one in gray and one in black- and just wanted to see if you are familiar with them. Thanks

mypod4900
11-08-2008, 07:45 PM
NO. 1 POG mid: my personnel racket. great... well every thing. But the two best things are the almighty "kicker" and a well executed vertical follow through/Nadal forehand.

NO. 2 K90 Almost went with this one best things are really, really solid every thing, amazing flat serves, and really nice forehands--though racket head speed can be hard to attain which is it's only real weakness: it's hard to get around.

NO. 3 MGPM very good flat serve and volleys but spin on both groundies and serve was nothing to write home about-- and that, is a very important part of my game.

T1000
11-08-2008, 08:13 PM
1. RDS 001 mid - this is my favorite racquet. I think this is made for all players. I serve and volley with it or I'll grind from the baseline and it feels great.

2. ps 85 st. vincent - classic

3. RDx 500 mid, k90/n90, or diablo mid

mental midget
11-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I'll summarize the criteria of attributes of Mids in my opinion.

The great mid they're also have great solid feel, stability, directional control, maneuverability.

My top 3 have all criteria.
1. Redondo, best comfort, suit to all around style.
2. Dunlop revelation 90, the black green one, i don't know exactly name but the one i've tried is belong to Anirut. You can ask him and all expert about this awesome solid stick.
3. Volkl tour10 Generation 1. very compromise mid.

Cheers.

revelation 200g IN THE HOUSE. i just transitioned off that racket after about 10 years or so, it really is one of the all-time greats, imo, along with the racket i played before that, the wilson ultra fpk 95. it's just . . . nice. soft yet solid, plenty of spin, and the swingweight is fantastic, if you hit a 1hbh in particular. one of the great 'slice' frames ever produced.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 09:52 PM
^ Wo... some more great info everyone... plenty for me to look into... many thanks again.

Midget - Sorry. There's so many Dunny Revs out there (I've actually posted before about the subject)... Which exact Dunlop Rev are you talking about, as in precise name and cosmetics? Cheers...

Thaychua - 1)... Er, no, I'm unfamiliar with the Wilson rod you've mentioned. However, presuming you might be suggesting what I think you might, I'll almost certainly remain unfamiliar with them due to import tax... grooowl!... 2)... My turn to go off topic... Talking of the Cayman TNT-90 - you ever hit with a Cayman Pro Heat 2? If so, is it true about sharing some qualities with the PT 280? And on a wider note, which Cayman frames are the ones to look out for (mids and mid+s)?

R.

mental midget
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
revelation 200g. it's a 95. green and black, as described by OP.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
revelation 200g. it's a 95. green and black, as described by OP.

oh right. sorry.

NLBwell
11-08-2008, 10:40 PM
1. Pro Kennex Black Ace - Original (the 98, which is an 86sqin headsize)
Lots of weight to blow through the ball and give big power, yet very flexible for comfort, about the widest string pattern there is, for easy spin, while the small head size lets you hit flat, too.

2. Prince Graphite Mid
Similar to the Black Ace, but lighter. Able to hit flat with control and with lots of spin. Excellent at everything. A little bigger head that the others (93 sq in) for a bit more forgiveness.

3. Wilson Pro Staff
Again, can do everything well. A great racket for serving (maybe the best ever). A little tighter string pattern gives a little less spin than the other two (of course, it was enough spin for a lot of the top pros). Probably the best control if you hit it right of any racket ever.

Ross K
11-08-2008, 10:49 PM
NLBwell - have noted the point re 93 sq in head size mids offering more forgiveness.

Anyone got anything to say re AG 100?... I hear it's relatively easy to use as mids go?... Also, still haven't heard about the i. Prestige mid...

HeadPrestige
11-08-2008, 11:22 PM
1. Yonex RDS 001 mid
2. Wilson 6.0 85 China
3. PC600

Ross K
11-08-2008, 11:40 PM
HeadPrestige - A lot of ppl seem to rate the RDS 001... as mids go, how demanding is this one? Cheers...

HeadPrestige
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I think it is one of the most forgiving mids out there.. maybe second to the prince diablo

The sweet spot is pretty big, and the swing weight is very manageable. It is a very low powered racket.. but i would not call it underpowered.

If you are looking for a fairly forgiving mid... then the rds is a good pick. Much less demanding than the k90, ps85, pc600 IMO

Ross K
11-09-2008, 12:19 AM
HeadPrestige - Well, I've got an open mind and am not looking for anything definitive. However, it's true I haven't used a mid before and am not an advanced level player, so, it's probably wise for me to know which are the best of the most forgiving mids (that will be a subsection of its own, I'm sure.) Anyway, I've noted your praise for the yonex rds (and the Diablo too.) And now I have a follow up Q...

Which generally more forgiving mids IYO have the most powerful and lively serve?

R.

Pushmaster
11-09-2008, 05:25 AM
3) Estusa Power Beam

Storm, could you compare the PB to the PBP? From what I understand the PB was a little lighter and a little more flexible than the PBP. Unfortunately I never got to try the PB when they were available at TW, and now even used ones are practically impossible to find.

stormholloway
11-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Actually, I played the Power Beam Braided, and the Braided alone. I was just being generalizing and sort of included all of them. The Pro was slightly heavier and slightly stiffer than the regular, and the Braided was pure graphite, therefore stiffer than the others, but weighed the same as the Pro.

I adore that racquet, and the website is still up and it appears like you can buy the racquets, but they never respond to my email. I bought the last Estusa from TW.

Pushmaster
11-09-2008, 05:49 AM
HeadPrestige - Well, I've got an open mind and am not looking for anything definitive. However, it's true I haven't used a mid before and am not an advanced level player, so, it's probably wise for me to know which are the best of the most forgiving mids (that will be a subsection of its own, I'm sure.) Anyway, I've noted your praise for the yonex rds (and the Diablo too.) And now I have a follow up Q...

Which generally more forgiving mids IYO have the most powerful and lively serve?

R. Well, to answer your question I'd say look into the Tour 90. It's a super stable stick because of the weight, and very forgiving due to the flex. I'm still able to get good depth and decent pace even on mishits. Of course you want to hit the ball as cleanly and consistently as possible, because that's when the Tour 90 really begins to shine. In regards to serving, if your strong enough to swing the Tour 90, you'll be able to hit flat bombs effortlessly.

I really don't like any of the newer Yonex sticks (post RD series). The Diablo seems good on paper, but I havn't tried it yet.

kkm
11-09-2008, 06:10 AM
http://www.nomas-nyc.com/scorecard/2007/05/deep-tennis-with-steve-tignor-8.html

leonidas1982
11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
http://www.nomas-nyc.com/scorecard/2007/05/deep-tennis-with-steve-tignor-8.html

a good read.

anirut
11-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Yo Ross,

I'm surprised you addressed me directly, even without me having seen this thread yet. HAHA.

Anyhow, here's my take, in no particular order:

1. Redondo/BlackAce 93

2. PC600/MGPrestige/Dunlop Revelation Tour 90 (Philipoussis)/Head Graphite Edge family

3. K90/other 85 heads from Wilson

The slashes are meant to say that, to ME, they feel somewhat in the same family.

Ross K
11-09-2008, 11:28 AM
A big thanks to you all for your tips. With so many great recommendations, now I think I'm just going to thoroughly go through this thread, do some research, and note down potential targets. I'll post up my mid experiences accordingly. Cheers again one and all - R.

Pushmaster
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Actually, I played the Power Beam Braided, and the Braided alone. I was just being generalizing and sort of included all of them. The Pro was slightly heavier and slightly stiffer than the regular, and the Braided was pure graphite, therefore stiffer than the others, but weighed the same as the Pro.

I adore that racquet, and the website is still up and it appears like you can buy the racquets, but they never respond to my email. I bought the last Estusa from TW.

I was so in love with the Power Beam Pro that I never felt the need to try the Braided. I'm sure it's a top notch stick though. I'd still like to get a Power Beam (the non-Pro) if I can only find one. I don't even know why Estusa still has that site up, because they are out of business and the Power Beam\Braided series is no longer available.

OroDeSantoro
11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
PS85 Vincent
Ps85 Chicago
PS85 taiwan

Haha brilliant!

HeadPrestige
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

R.

the diablo was definitely a more powerful and forgiving racket than the 001 mid, most likely due to the larger head.

I find that while i am not getting the same pace on serves as with many MPs, my placement is far better with the 001, and it still has plenty of power.

The 001 is a great racket to get yourself into mids with. It is the first mid that i was actually able to play full time with... past the honeymoon phase. It is very forgiving, has a very manageable SW and really is a great all court, all around racket.

gerrym40
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
1. Head Prestige Classic 600
2. Volkl Tour 10 (generation one)
3. Dunlop AG 100

movdqa
11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
1) K90
2) PK Redondo

K90 - nice blend of power, control and spin.
Redondo - comfort and control, a little underpowered through

haerdalis
11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
1. PS 6.0 85
2. Head Presige 600
3. POG mid

AustraliA
11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
My top 3 is:

#1 Wilson Pro select 85
#2 Puma Boris Becker Winner
#3 Head Liquidmetal Prestige mid

fuzz nation
11-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I keep a Prince NXG mid in my bag pretty much all the time. I know that experiences have run rather hot-and-cold with that racquet, but after I got to know it, that one turned out to be a phenomenal fit for me. Heavy, headlight, flexible, lots of spin...

I have a couple of older Yonex MP Tour-1 mids around and I think that the designers got a lot of things right with that layout. That isometric head shape gives me the impression that those guys took a much bigger frame and basically cut the sweetspot out of the middle, then made that shape into a racquet hoop. Out of all the midsize frames available these days, I'd want to try the RDS 001 mid and maybe the Redondo before anything else.

TourTenor
11-10-2008, 08:48 AM
1. BB11mid8-)8-)
2. DNX10 mid8)
3. K90

movdqa
11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I didn't know that we were including 95s. I guess that I'd add the Dunlop Revelation Tour Pro as a nice racquet. Way underpowered for today's game but still a nice racquet for old guys.

Automatix
11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
My top 3 (without any order):
Dunlop Max 200g
Wilson PS85 St. Vincent
Head Prestige 600

Thaychua
11-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Thaychua - 1)... Er, no, I'm unfamiliar with the Wilson rod you've mentioned. However, presuming you might be suggesting what I think you might, I'll almost certainly remain unfamiliar with them due to import tax... grooowl!... 2)... My turn to go off topic... Talking of the Cayman TNT-90 - you ever hit with a Cayman Pro Heat 2? If so, is it true about sharing some qualities with the PT 280? And on a wider note, which Cayman frames are the ones to look out for (mids and mid+s)?

R.

1- Oh sorry Ross, the question i had was more directed towards VGP. Seeing that he came from the ps85 background-- thought he would know somewhat about the Wilson "staff". If you're looking for the staffs, it's pretty rare nowadays so best to try others.
2- No, i haven't hit with the pro heat 2. I am mid guy, so I rarely venture out into the midplus categories unless it's a special frame like pt630 or the prince response and such. Caymans to look out for? Of course the Tnt-90. hehe

ced
11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Okay. I'm thinking (again) of maybe exploring/purchasing some mid-sized frames (I posted perhaps 6 months ago on a similar theme.) This time however, I'd like to ask all you mid experts if you could have a go at actually naming your very top 3 mid frames and to also give very brief outlines of the particular qualities that these rods possess (I'm highly unfamiliar with mids but want to get a bit of education, as it were, from all you mid connoisseurs!)

So then... gimme those 'rilf' frames then!... and what makes them quite so sensational?

Cheers

R.

My top three are:

Avery M3 Control - when younger
Gamma G325 - when older
Vantage Custom - in-between