PDA

View Full Version : POG OS ... Advice?

Pahc
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok this is basically another tell me if i'm chooosing the right racquet thread, but i couldn't get enough direct answers using the search function! And i don't like demoing (too impatient and don't want to dish out the extra bucks) so i'd like to get some people's opinions before i make my decision.

So what i'm wanting is ... a bigger k90! hehe i know thats impossible so i'm looking for whats the closest choice from TW. I live in a small town with only the internet as my best place to shop for tennis. I absolutely love the k90, the feel, the control, the whole package! except i have some trouble with my volleys and occasional trouble returning serve. I'd like something a little bigger, a little more forgiving, and some things that seem important to me (especially with my OHBH) is...
16x19 string pattern
same beam width as k90 if possible, i can't stand thick beams
12.0 + in weight
head light
and i love leather grips!
oh and my wife doesn't want me to buy another $200 dollar racquet :(

So the POG OS basically looks good.... i'm just wondering about a few things i 've read in my searches i need clarification on.... Alot of people complain about the weight of the racquet but looking at the stats next to the k90 it looks LIGHTER than the k90... so the weight shouldn't be a problem for me right? Or is there something i'm not aware of, like is it actually harder to swing due to the larger head size, even though it weighs less? I just don't know hehe.

And could i add weight to the handle to make the POG OS more head light possibly making it more OHBH friendly? and how does weight in the handle affect swingweight? I'm not concerned with making a racquet weight too much... i prefer a beefier stick. My best shot is my backhand thats why i'm so worried about all the "this stick is only good for 2hbh" stuff i've read. Does ANYONE here ever hit with a POG OS with OHBH? and have any opinions on it?

Of course if anyone has a racquet recommendation that meets my criteria (which i'm pretty strict on) i would LOVE to hear it! I appreciate any feedback you guys might have, thanks

Pahc

robby c
11-08-2008, 01:11 PM
You can't go wrong with the POG.
The Babolat Pure Storm Ltd. 95 is a midplus option.
Another choice in the lower price range is the Fischer M Speed Pro One 105. Its on sale.
TW will let you demo 4 racquets for around $20.00 for the shipping, and its deductable if you order your racquet from them. Its worth every penny to know for sure what you like best.
I've wasted alot of money buying on "spec."
Good luck.
Robby C

jbleiman
11-08-2008, 01:15 PM
if you are looking for a pog os...i have a 4 stripe 4 3/8
jbleiman@verizon.net

Pahc
11-08-2008, 01:17 PM
TW will let you demo 4 racquets for around $20.00 for the shipping, and its deductable if you order your racquet from them.

Oh cool i didn't know they would deduct it from my order... that makes a big difference hehe , thanks!

Pahc

AJK1
11-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Head Radical Pro, also check out the Dunlop range, Mfil 200 16x19 version,

robby c
11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I think you will have 30 days to buy racquets from TW to get the discount.
Let us know what you choose.
Robby C

curvefan
11-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey,

I never used the k90 that you were trying to compare the POG OS to, so I can't help you there. I use the POG OS and use a one handed back hand.

I have no problem with slice or top spin back hands with this racquet.

I would see no reason why this racquet would benefit a two handed back hander over a one hander.

You really can't go wrong with this stick given all your criteria in your post.

Good luck!

Bengt
11-18-2008, 08:20 AM
I've spent the past year or so going back and forth between the POG Mid and OS. I play 4.0 and have a topspin one-handed backhand. Serve and FH are my weapons.

As most will attest, the POG OS is terrific on the FH. Heavy ball, good spin and control and so on.

I volley relatively well with this racquet as the larger sweetspot outweighs any maneuvability issues that come with a larger head. This might not be the case if I were a 5.5, though. In that case, I'd probably need more precision.

Now to the strokes which scare most people away from a 107 in head - the OHBH and serve.

The OHBH. I feel that head lightness is more important than a smaller head and the POG OS is 5 pts headlight which seems to be enough for me. I enjoy the fact that, in addition to hitting backhand drives, I can change it up and hit a big spinner without worrying about framing the ball. Topspin backhand lobs are fun with this racquet. You have to have a strong wrist, though. The key, of course, is preparation (good footwork). Slices are no problem. The mass of the racquet allows you to really carve the slice and keep it low. As far as two-handers go - it seems that length is more important than headsize. BTW, Gabriella Sabatini hit a pretty good OHBH with the POG OS.

The serve. This stroke worried me more than the backhand initially. However, once I got the wrist snap down and figured out how to make the racquet do the work, I feel very confident serving with it and have no pain. If you're relatively strong, it's easy to put a lot of action on the ball. Some complain about hitting flat serves, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I like this racquet strung tight (at least 65# full multi). I'm a big fan of the leather with a tournagrip.

dotorman
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I have been domoing 3 sticks, 1. Head MG Rad OS 2. Bab Pure Drive 107 and 3. POG OS. So far I am loving the POG out of the three, weight is perfect, great control, I think its head heavy but you can hit great serves with it.

flash9
11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
..., I think its head heavy but...
The POG is a heavier racquet compared to some other racquets, but it is anything but head heavy!

I have said it before and I'll say it again, racquets are typically not head heavy they are handle light, which biases more of the weight to the head of a racquet. They do this by taking a lot of weight out of handle in the way they manufacture the frames. This was first introduced by Wilson with their Hammer Technology quite a few years ago.

The POG OS is still a great frame and my frame of choice.

gymrat76
11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I've spent the past year or so going back and forth between the POG Mid and OS. I play 4.0 and have a topspin one-handed backhand. Serve and FH are my weapons.

As most will attest, the POG OS is terrific on the FH. Heavy ball, good spin and control and so on.

I volley relatively well with this racquet as the larger sweetspot outweighs any maneuvability issues that come with a larger head. This might not be the case if I were a 5.5, though. In that case, I'd probably need more precision.

Now to the strokes which scare most people away from a 107 in head - the OHBH and serve.

The OHBH. I feel that head lightness is more important than a smaller head and the POG OS is 5 pts headlight which seems to be enough for me. I enjoy the fact that, in addition to hitting backhand drives, I can change it up and hit a big spinner without worrying about framing the ball. Topspin backhand lobs are fun with this racquet. You have to have a strong wrist, though. The key, of course, is preparation (good footwork). Slices are no problem. The mass of the racquet allows you to really carve the slice and keep it low. As far as two-handers go - it seems that length is more important than headsize. BTW, Gabriella Sabatini hit a pretty good OHBH with the POG OS.

The serve. This stroke worried me more than the backhand initially. However, once I got the wrist snap down and figured out how to make the racquet do the work, I feel very confident serving with it and have no pain. If you're relatively strong, it's easy to put a lot of action on the ball. Some complain about hitting flat serves, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I like this racquet strung tight (at least 65# full multi). I'm a big fan of the leather with a tournagrip.

I do have two POG OS 4 stripes. Used to love playing with this frame but moved away to smaller head sizes because POG is harder to manevuer at net as I developed a more net game lately. But more importantly, I feel that it is too much of a powerful stick for me. I also have it strung at 65lbs, the very first time it is strung, feels good..heavy ball. But when strings become little loose, I have a problem contolling the frame! Also, lots of people appear to like the slice with this frame, but I practically hate it as it floats in air and turns out to be a sitting duck.

Bengt
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I do have two POG OS 4 stripes. Used to love playing with this frame but moved away to smaller head sizes because POG is harder to manevuer at net as I developed a more net game lately. But more importantly, I feel that it is too much of a powerful stick for me. I also have it strung at 65lbs, the very first time it is strung, feels good..heavy ball. But when strings become little loose, I have a problem contolling the frame! Also, lots of people appear to like the slice with this frame, but I practically hate it as it floats in air and turns out to be a sitting duck.

Yep, there are definitely tradeoffs involved. I'm willing to trade a little maneuverability for the larger sweetspot, though, as I find the sweetspot on the mid hard to hit as consistently as I would like (especially against big servers). For some reason, the POG seems like a small OS. It must be due to the thin beam and standard length (as most OS's are longer and wider than standard).

gymrat76
11-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Yep, there are definitely tradeoffs involved. I'm willing to trade a little maneuverability for the larger sweetspot, though, as I find the sweetspot on the mid hard to hit as consistently as I would like (especially against big servers). For some reason, the POG seems like a small OS. It must be due to the thin beam and standard length (as most OS's are longer and wider than standard).

I mean, nobody make no mistake, this racquet is the holy grail of b-line bashing, imo. About the thin beam, being probably the heaviest (12.2 or something if i recall right) yet maneuverable stick, this stick has no contender. But personally, I am starting to believe that, placement (with an 18x20 pattern and/or smaller headsize) works better for me now.
But for those who do not pay visits to the net and rather stay in the back..do not think twice about this oldie but a goodie. APDCs and Pure Drives (stock versions that are available to us, not the ones used by pros) can not hold their own against a POG OS!

Shangri La
11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
My POG OS (current TW version) is 12.6 oz and 8.5 pt hl w/o og