PDA

View Full Version : Prince Spectrum Comp 110

auzzieizm
11-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this frame? I tried an old ceramic frame a couple days ago, and loved the control and soft, cushioned, flexy feel it has. So I started researching player's oversize frames with ceramic in them. This frame came up. I am curious about it. If I can find a frame that has that soft, controlled, cushioned feel in an oversize, I think I would be happy for a while (2 months). I am desperate to find a replacement for my close-to-dying Donnay Pro One Os yellow/blue. Thanks in advance for any info.

shirsen
11-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I have one that I haven't hit with in many years. Took it out recently--very solid, comfortable, similar to POG I think. Was it a predecessor to the POG? Still seems to be a great racquet to pull out once in awhile.

Keifers
11-09-2008, 10:30 PM
auzzieizm,
I'm not familiar with the Donnay Pro One OS, so can't give you a comparison. The Spectrum Comps (110 and 90, both have 19mm straight beams) are made of graphite, kevlar, fiberglass and silicon carbide ceramic fibers. I don't know the percentages but compared with the 80 graphite/20 kevlar Wilson Pro Staff midsizes/6.0 85s/6.0 95s, for instance, I would say the Princes are a little stiffer and not as smooth in feel. The feel is not harsh by any means, but - at least to me - it's not soft, cushioned and flexy (the way you described the ceramic frame you hit with recently).

Control is very good and there's plenty of pop. Like many racquets of that era (late '80s), the Spectrum Comps play just fine with POSG. My 110 is strung with POSG 16 that probably dates back a few years (at least 10 yrs) -- but it still plays great.

Hope this helps.

goldenyama
11-09-2008, 11:29 PM
auzzieizm, as far as I know the flexiest old Prince is the original Graphite Comp (the version with the green felt cover). It is supposed to play beautifully - soft and low-powered.

I actually have one but it is a 5/8 grip (I am 3/8) and the grommets are pretty bad so I haven`t strung it up yet.

I am now debating whether to replace the bad grommets and sand the grip down or find a 3/8 in better condition.

auzzieizm
11-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking it would be softer and more flexible than it sounds. Back to the drawing board.

BDAZ
11-11-2008, 04:47 AM
you can usually pick them up on the auction site for pretty good prices. definitely worth picking one up. the spectrum comp, both 110 and 90, are awesome rackets. for me, perfect flex, weight, spin, ball pocketing...you name it. the 110, i don't think, is actually 110. i think it may be a tad smaller. if they made it in a 95 in. head, it would be my holy grail. beware of the yellow spectrum comp limited edition. i picked one up (110) this summer and it is waaaay heavier than the original white version. maybe i just got one very far off spec, but this thing is a log. nearly unplayable for me. again, maybe i just got a bad one. i recommend you get a spectrum comp. they are truly great rackets. fyi, feels far more flexy to me than the POG.

KFwinds
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
One of my favorite all-time sticks. Probably the best of the ceramic-composite racquets.