PDA

View Full Version : It must run in the family

Rabbit
02-13-2005, 06:14 AM
I was up this morning, watching The Tennis Channel's coverage of the Gaz Open in France. Amelie Mauresmo was playing Dinara Safina, Marat Safin's sister. They were playing very heads up, nip and tuck match. There was a point of concern for Safina and she went up to the umpire and....yep....you guessed it, she began to speak Spanish to him! Safina, like her brother in Australia, was speaking Spanish in France! I guess the Safins are nothing but a family of show offs. Her tennis was pretty good too.

andfor
02-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Those Safin's using their multi-lingual talents to show off is most annoying.

Marius_Hancu
02-13-2005, 06:55 AM
if the umpire was Spanish, she might have wanted to gain some slight favor with him.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Yes, really nothing starnge if the umpire is Spanish.

Kaptain Karl
02-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Marius & Aykhan - This is sort of an "inside joke" from Rabbit. Previously, another poster actually started a thread claiming Marat was "being a show-off" when in the OZ Open, he spoke Spanish to the Umpire. Rabbit's just having fun with this one, too....

- KK

andfor
02-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Marius & Aykhan - This is sort of an "inside joke" from Rabbit. Previously, another poster actually started a thread claiming Marat was "being a show-off" when in the OZ Open, he spoke Spanish to the Umpire. Rabbit's just having fun with this one, too....

- KK

No, no KK. The Safin's who have spent years training in Spain like to show off with their use of the Spanish language.

Rabbit
02-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Fun? Me? Get out.....

I really think that the Safins are left over from the Soviet Empire. They were planted in Spain as sleeper cells. You notice how often Cliff Drysdale makes reference to Marat's "secret agent good looks"? Well, there is a reason for that. The Safin family was sent to Spain like hundreds of other families in the Soviet Union were sent to countries around the world. When a certain Spanish phrase is uttered over a phone line, they will immediately spring into action and become covert agents for the Motherland.

You, of course, remember how the Soviets used to imitate things that were perfected in the free world? The Concorde and the Space Shuttle are a couple of examples. Well, the Russians got hold of some old broadcasts of American TV and saw how Robert Culp and Bill Cosby jet setted the world as spies posing as a tennis player and his trainer in the original "I Spy". The Soviets thought this was a brilliant cover and began their own scheme to put a subversive tennis family in, of all places, Spain!

But here is where things began to go terribly wrong for the KGB. You see, Marat and his sister Dinara were actually great at tennis. The KGB monitored their progress in disbelief as both of them began to emerge as world-class tennis players. They won match after match and finally, after Marat won the U.S. Open, the KGB relinquished control over the family.

Sadly, training that has been so thoroughly ingrained through psychological methods like those employed by the KGB is hard to break. Marat feels compulsed to break things due to the burden placed on his subconcious because he cannot complete his mission. This is why he has it written in his contract that he can break as many frames as he wants. This is why he pleads with umpires, often in Spanish, to let him break a racket, just one during a match. There is another consequence of Safin's training. He feels compelled to speak Spanish. Yes, it's a terrible burden on the Safin family. It's really a mental disorder. Some people begin screaming obsenities, but Safin feels compelled to speak in Spanish.

If you look closely at the circumstance, both Safins were confronted with the same situation. They were both in the finals. They were both facing opponents in the final that were citizens of the country. They were both facing large, potentially hostile crowds. Given these parameters, it was only natural that the Safins would resort to their training. They would begin speaking Spanish, not as a means of showing off. No, it was more a case of survival for both. In the military when asked how they survived, soldiers often say that it was their training. Same case for the Safins.

While we view the multi-lingual capabilities of the Safins as showing off, it is really more an example of man's most basic instinct; survival. I applaud the courage of the Safin family to break free of their covert life and become a model family of millionaires and world travelers. The hardest part of Marat's training was that he was supposed to marry/date/become involved with a homely woman so as not to draw attention to himself. He has bravely fought this to the point that he can be seen in public with the type of girl that was present in the stands for him at the Oz. Truly a profile in courage.

andfor
02-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Rabbit,
Your post is a classic. Keep em' coming. If I tried to add anything it would only detract from it's brilliance. LMAO.
Hats off,
AF

racquetbreaker
02-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Rabbit, that is freaking hilarious!

arosen
02-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Yep, that KGB's got long hands, man. Long hands, like, fore-hands and back-hands and such....

Aykhan Mammadov
02-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Rabbit,

your theory is may be simply crashed down since you don't know real details. In differ from USA where you have more or less one nation, so called Soviets consisted of many republics, different nations and etc.

Do you know that a few of them, so called Baltics republics joined already Europian Union ? And do you know that your hero Safin is actually Tatarian family name, there is such a nation called "Tatars" in Russia. It is interesting to get by your KGB or FBI channels does you hero speak in native, probably Russian is his second, Spanish it the third. So this story has more deeper roots.

Noelle
02-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Aykhan, it was a joke. ;) A damn good one, too.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Noelle, I knew.

Phil
02-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Rabbit - Are you sure everyone is cleared for this intell? Because Sleeper Cell info is among the most highly classified, with "double secret probationary" classification status...I guess they're all cleared or else you wouldn't have published the information here-you would know, as a former CIA case officer stationed in a volatile region located somewhere south of us...

Are the Safins verbal activation enabled? You know, following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1992, Safin, Safinova and their Sleeper Cell brothers and sisters were left completely out in the cold, in such far flung places as Spain and Idaho, without local handlers, to fend for themselves. Hence, the survival mode kicked. But they're still time bombs who can be activated with the right verbal activation code-a phrase or a password. And...a LONE former Soviet KGB operative-a rogue agent-is still alive, somewhere, ready to activate these human weapons...could happen in Paris, or New York, or London...no one can be sure. That Charles Broson flick, Telefon...that's all based on truth. "The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have miles to go before I sleep....POW!!!! Or the agent, being a special "Showoff" Agent, may speak the activation code in Spanish, or Russian...this is all very scary, and of great concern, still, to the national security apparatus.

baseliner
02-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Saw a subtext on Safin's AO final. "Vaya con Dios, pero Vayase"

pound cat
02-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Why is it that everyone who is fluent in a language other than English is either "showing off" or perceived to be some sort of threat. In my country everone speaks their mother tongue anywhere, if they wish. Oh, never mind.

Patirick McEnroe explained exactly why Safin spoke Spanish to the umpire, and the same logic applies as to why Safina spoke Spanish to the umpire.

In a partisan crowd (French, Safina, Oz, Safin) they had to STAKE THEIR CLAIM in the match. Good grief, quit feeling so threated by their linguistic ability...take a few language couses so you too can impress people.

Rabbit
02-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Because Sleeper Cell info is among the most highly classified, with "double secret probationary" classification status...

Phil - all I can say in reply is "knowledge is good".

Why is it that everyone who is fluent in a language other than English is either "showing off" or perceived to be some sort of threat. In my country everone speaks their mother tongue anywhere, if they wish. Oh, never mind.

Patirick McEnroe explained exactly why Safin spoke Spanish to the umpire, and the same logic applies as to why Safina spoke Spanish to the umpire.

In a partisan crowd (French, Safina, Oz, Safin) they had to STAKE THEIR CLAIM in the match. Good grief, quit feeling so threated by their linguistic ability...take a few language couses so you too can impress people.

Clearly you were not ready for this level of intel.

Steve Huff
02-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Rabbit, pay close attention to Marat's "pleading". It's and act. The chair umpire is his contact. That's why you don't see him arguing with "all" chair umpires. His celebrity status has made it impossible for him to meet his normal contacts. It was a necessity then, that several of the people he needs to pass information onto have become tennis umpires. He's IS that important to them. And, if you'll notice, many of these chair umpires are multilingual also.

Kaptain Karl
02-14-2005, 05:47 AM
Rabbit - You must submit this as a Guest Column to ... Tennis / ESPN Mag / SI / (Somebody!). Really. It is too good for just we few.

From Huff:
... The chair umpire is his contact....
This is SO MUCH more sinister than I could have imagined. [KK hurries to restock is Y2k Shelter and prepares the wurst....]

- KK

jeebeesus
02-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Rabbit, this is good stuff man. I just tossed away my dvd. Form now on i`m going to get all my entertainment from this board full time.lmao

bismark
02-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Viva la Perestroika & Glasnost !!

Dedans Penthouse
02-15-2005, 07:20 AM
And do you know that your hero Safin is actually Tatarian family name, there is such a nation called "Tatars" in Russia.

You have TATARS in Russia too?!

So my "regional patois" would have it that Marat Safin is Russian for
"MR. POTATO HEAD" and further, he is still (and always will be) a "homer" capable of what Phil suggested?? (Rabbit: gem-city~!)

Kapitan Karl: It was indeed the esteemed Fedrickson (Latin: tennius larveus) who accused Marat Safin of "morphing" into Spanish while conversing with a PORTUGUESE chair umpire for the sole purpose of "showing off."

In effect, Fedrickson was claiming (to give you the full "MONTY") that :

"Nobody likes the Spanish IMPOSITION!"