PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler: Mauresmo Safina

Marius_Hancu
02-13-2005, 06:52 AM
Open Gaz de France
Paris-FRA

Singles - Final
Dinara Safina (RUS) d. (2) Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 64 26 63

This is a huge succes for Safina. And with this, she finally responds to the challenge thrown to her by her brother, after her loss in the previous encounter (at AO) with Mauresmo:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2005-01-19/200501191106129978439.html

Q. Did you get to see much of your sister's match on TV this morning?

A. MAURESMO/D. Safina

2 6, 6 1, 6 0

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, I saw pretty much everything.

Q. She lost today, obviously, but has her tennis improved a lot in the last year, do you think?

MARAT SAFIN: I don't think ‑‑ she has to make ‑‑ she has to make a lot of changes to be able to compete with all these kind of players like Amelie. We are talking about top players in the women's tour. And to be able to do that, she needs to have a character and she needs to be a little bit grown‑up woman.

Of course, she is little bit young, and I know everything everybody saying to her, she is still young, she has big future in front of her. But I'm sorry, if you don't really understand yourself what's going on, it's little bit difficult for somebody to fix it and explain it. Nobody going to tell her what to do; she has to decide for herself, you know. It's my duty to help her, but if she doesn't want to listen... (laughter).

So then we gonna have a lot of matches like this.

Q. How long did it take you to understand what you have to do?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, but I'm sorry, with all the respect, you know, I achieved at age of 20, I been No. 1 in the world. At the age of 20 I won the Grand Slam. For some reason, I was 2 in the world, I finish the year 2 in the world, I finish the year 3 in the world, I finish the year 11 in the world and 4 in the world. I won 14 tournaments. Five of them is a Masters Series events, and a Grand Slam just for, you know...

If you look at my portfolio and other people, it's little bit different. So is not such a bad ‑‑ such bad career that I'm having. And two finals of a Grand Slam also. Sorry, I forgot (laughter).

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2005-01-21/200501211106289607207.html

Q. Did your sister react after what you said?

MARAT SAFIN: I didn't speak to her yet.

It's okay. Women are very delicate people so (laughter)... It takes a little bit of time, you know, for them to calm down and really to think properly because they go with emotions, but then they use the head.

Q. Is your mum here?

MARAT SAFIN: No, she's not. Two women is too much for me (laughter).

Noelle
02-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Ah, finally. She's one of my favorite young players to watch, and with a pedigree like that she has a lot riding on her shoulders.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Marius, really interesting interview to get what Safin is telling about her sister.

degreefanlindi
02-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for posting. Just a quick question about Safina...why does she have an "a" at the end of her last name and Marat does not? Excuse me for being ignorant, but is this commonplace in Russia?

Marius_Hancu
02-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks for posting. Just a quick question about Safina...why does she have an "a" at the end of her last name and Marat does not? Excuse me for being ignorant, but is this commonplace in Russia?

That's exactly right, that's the norm. The ladies add an "a" on the last name. Same in Czech and Slovak (Suk, Sukova; Navratil, Navratilova) and perhaps other Slavic languages.

Andy Zarzuela
02-13-2005, 07:30 PM
That's exactly right, that's the norm. The ladies add an "a" on the last name. Same in Czech and Slovak (Suk, Sukova; Navratil, Navratilova) and perhaps other Slavic languages.

Are you sure that's right? I think males just lack the "a" at the end, and nothing more....ex: Yuri Sharapov
________
hairy Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/hairy-girls/)

Russiadude
02-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Marius has got it right. My last name is Davydov and I am a guy. Russian women add an "a". Thus my mothers last name is Davydova.

Deuce
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Adding the 'a' or 'ova' means that the woman 'belongs to' the family - ex.: Martina Navratilova belongs to the Navratil family.

Hey Davydov - what's the difference between adding an 'a', and adding an 'ova'? Why not 'Safinova', or 'Navratila'? Does it simply depend on the country of origin?

Vlad
02-13-2005, 11:53 PM
If the guy's last name ends with OV, then his wife, daughter will be OVA. Ex. Sharapov, and Sharapova. Navratilova and Navratilov.
Safin and Safina is another form without OV, but you still add A in the end.
Navratilova and Navratilov.
BUT for example Kirilenko is used for both male and female, since it ends with a vowel.
Dementieva and Dementiev (her father)

Myskin and Myskina,

Is that somewhat clear?

Vlad
02-13-2005, 11:55 PM
And BTW it is obviously sAfina, not safIna.... The exclamation or whatever it is called is the same as in SAfin.

Deuce
02-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Yes, but, as far as I know, Martina's family is NAVRATIL, not NAVRATILOV. So they seem to have added a complete 'ova'.

Same for Helena Sukova, whose brother is Cyril Suk - thus a complete 'ova' was added there, as well.