PDA

View Full Version : Head heavy for better kick serve?

tenniskid567
11-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I was just wondering if its better to have a head heavy or head light racket for a kick serve? I've heard that head light is better so you can generate enough racket speed, but when I play with head heavy rackets I seem to get more kick. What say you?

meowmix
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
I experimented a bit with weight in the past two weeks, and I found that I hit a better kick serve with a more headheavy racket. My racket was the Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP. I added about 15 grams to the upper hoop, making it about 1 pt HL. Later, I threw a leather grip on, keeping the original 15 grams. I hit better kick serves with the more HH racket.

ac3111
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I am not an expert racquet but I've been looking closely most of racquets specs lately. I noticed that the head heavy racquets are usually lighter than the most of the head lights racquets. So if weight plays some role then maybe the head heavy will give more power.
I have a 27.25 1pts hl racquet that weighs 301grams, maybe a bit more and my serves are a lot better than the 27" 8pts hl racquet that weighs 350grams.

Once you get the racquet moving, if you can keep the same power and speed when hitting the ball, then the head heavy, I think, will give you more power.

And since you mentioned the term kick serve, is it a kind of serve like the flat or the slice serve?

meowmix
11-09-2008, 04:16 PM
^If that was to me, I'm hitting a kick like an American twist serve, with the ball about at the 11 o'clock postion.

My racket was about 320g with the added weight, and about 330 with the leather grip too.