PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best S&V racket

mypod4900
11-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Like the title says, I'm looking for a very, very good S&V racket. I like Heavy, headlight mids for the most part. Thank you in advance.

mypod4900
11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh and I forgot to add, please only list current rackets.

Fedace
11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Yonex RQIS tour-2

the wise wizard
11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
donnay pro one int'l, k six-one 95 18X20, dunlop aerogel 200.

just a few suggestions

mypod4900
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm really sorry, but could you try and limit it to just Head, Prince, and Wilson. Doesn't have to be, like if their is one that is just like a hundred times better. well you get my meaning...

Fedace
11-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm really sorry, but could you try and limit it to just Head, Prince, and Wilson. Doesn't have to be, like if their is one that is just like a hundred times better. well you get my meaning...

Head microgel Prestige pro.

In D Zone
11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
If you are looking for MID Sized.

RDS001 mid
K6.1 Tour 90
KBlade Tour
BB11 Mid
DNX 10 Mid

Il Mostro
11-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Yonex RQIS tour-2

You've got to be kidding. As a S&V stick, this is a POS unless modded somehow. My wife demoed several Yonex raquets last week and I had a chance to hit with them. The RQIS2 Tour was the worst of the bunch when it came to serves and was no great shakes when it came to volleys. Average at best on ground strokes. For the record, the RQIS1 was the best of the group we demoed.

mypod4900
11-09-2008, 08:58 PM
If you are looking for MID Sized.

RDS001 mid
K6.1 Tour 90
KBlade Tour
BB11 Mid
DNX 10 Mid

Hmm, well, the DNX 10 I tried a while ago... I don't remember specifics but I do remember I had been using it for a while then I picked up a friends K90 and it was as if my eyes were opened... never used the Kblade perhaps you could tell me bout it...
The K90, as mentioned, is a great stick and sometimes I wonder why I use... if I remember correctly, the 001 and BB11 felt as there was nothing "bad" about them but nothing really good either. thank you.

pmata814
11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
You've got to be kidding. As a S&V stick, this is a POS unless modded somehow. My wife demoed several Yonex raquets last week and I had a chance to hit with them. The RQIS2 Tour was the worst of the bunch when it came to serves and was no great shakes when it came to volleys. Average at best on ground strokes. For the record, the RQIS1 was the best of the group we demoed.

I just sold a pair of RQIS 2 tours kuz I couldn't adjust to the extra length on my groundstrokes but I have to say that I have never served better with any other racquet. My volleys were also great because the returns just floated back so they were pretty much just easy put-aways. I should point out though that I play at the 3.5 level. It probably would not be the same with tougher opponents.

phoenicks
11-10-2008, 07:43 AM
PS 6.0 85 st.vincent

fuzz nation
11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
In terms of qualifying your options, I think that "mids" certainly have plenty to offer (I play with a couple of older ones myself), but if you also include headsizes that go up to 95", you'll have a few more S&V gems on your list to try out.

I still keep my Wilson 6.1 Classics around - I think that those are among the best frames ever conceived for S&V work and the k95's seem to be a solid update of that line. The Prince O3 Hybrid Tour offers plenty of performance in that role, too. The TW version of the Donnay Pro One mp is an interesting frame in that it offers a lot of the personality of an old school mid like the Wilson PS 85 or the Donnay Pro Cynetic One in a package with a 95" layout.

I grew up as a serve and volley player and in recent years I've also worked hard at getting more comfortable from the baseline. While expanding my "skill sets", I also tried out a large spectrum of frames and I never seemed to get too comfortable with anything larger than a 95" head to fill the role of an all-court frame. Just my $.02...

In D Zone
11-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Hmm, well, the DNX 10 I tried a while ago... I don't remember specifics but I do remember I had been using it for a while then I picked up a friends K90 and it was as if my eyes were opened... never used the Kblade perhaps you could tell me bout it...
The K90, as mentioned, is a great stick and sometimes I wonder why I use... if I remember correctly, the 001 and BB11 felt as there was nothing "bad" about them but nothing really good either. thank you.

It's all a matter of preference.

DNX10 and BB11 were made for players who wanted a little more flex. WHile the K Blade Tour offers a bit more of a firmer feel. RDS 001 is more appealling to all court player but is equally mobile and stable around the net. The K90 is great stick but for me I'd still go and prefer the N90. I did not mentioned the N90 in the list earlier because you mentioned that you want a list that is currently available.

markwillplay
11-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I have the mic prest pro and the dunlop ag 100 and so far, I like the dunlop better for serve and volley. They are both great sticks but I am playing better with the dunlop for some reason. seems to have a little more control on the volleys and that is perhaps due to the smaller head.

In D Zone
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
In terms of qualifying your options, I............

. The Prince O3 Hybrid Tour offers plenty of performance in that role, too. The TW version of the Donnay Pro One mp is an interesting frame in that it offers a lot of the personality of an old school mid like the Wilson PS 85 or the Donnay Pro Cynetic One in a package with a 95" layout.

I grew up as a serve and volley player and in recent years I've also worked hard at getting more comfortable from the baseline. While expanding my "skill sets", I also tried out a large spectrum of frames and I never seemed to get too comfortable with anything larger than a 95" head to fill the role of an all-court frame. Just my $.02...

I am with you on the O3 Hybrid Tour - at 95 head size, the racquet feels and performs like a mid sized frame. Very whippy and manueverable.

What's your set up for the O3 Hybrid Tour?
I have one - I like the power it delivers but with mine strung with hybrid Hurricane Main 55lbs / PSG Cross 57lbs. The Hybrid Tour felt too lively which is perfect for baseline bashing but its a little too harsh on the arm when hitting close at the net and the ball tends to fly long.

Fed Kennedy
11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
wilson k95s serve huge and are stable. thats 95sq in though. dont know if you consider that a mid.

I have a prestige mid strung loose with gut and it serves bombs with very little effort. I say get something heavy with a pattern you are comfortable with and string loose. Voila you are ready to s&v.

Fedace
11-10-2008, 04:22 PM

LOL....i regularly hit serves in the 90's mph with this racket in the doubles and i can get some massive topspin to ACE guys in the Ad court. I serve at least 30-40% better with Tour-2 than tour-1. as for the volleys, as long as your technique is sound, it is a very good feel racket at the net...

NickC
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Try the Prince Diablo Mid or the Midplus. String with Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power (Original, Spin, or Rough) in the mid 50s. If you're good enough to use this setup, you'll be hitting BOMBS (I once clocked a 112-er with this setup) in no time. If you can do that, you can easily follow 'em up to net.

Xtreme
11-11-2008, 04:46 PM
PS 85. good enough for sampras' S and V game. so why not?

dr325i
11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Head microgel Prestige pro.

I must agree this time...

haerdalis
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
How about the warrior mp. Has pretty good reputation for being a good volley stick.

Fedace
11-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Dunlop Maxply Mcenroe. must be good if JP Mcenroe uses it, right ?

kkm
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
The POG and Dünlop AG100, from firsthand experience. The Vantage cüstom 90 sq. in. and especially the Estüsa Power Beam Braided seem like they could be good. And perhaps the K90, Yönex RDS 001 Mid and Völkl DNX 10 Mid?

11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Slaz X1
TF 335
Yonex RD Ti 80

Tennisguy777
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
If you ask Federer he'd say K90! Ask Djokovic and he'd say kBlade Tour! There really is no such thing as the best racquet one man's favorite racquet is another man's worst! It all depends on you, your game and technique!

Give a 2.5 player a k90 and you can watch him struggle or give the same stick to a 5.5 player and watch him dominate the ball. I've played with many racquets and the best S & V stick for me is the Dunlop Aerogel 200. Head i. prestige was great too but Babolat APDC was the worst I've ever used and I bet a lot of people would disagree with me.

Also if you have the proper technique you can volley just as well with most sticks. That's why you see 4.5 + player using a variety of racquets some even use 10 oz. racquets and volley well. Remember people used to serve and volley with woodies.

fuzz nation
11-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh, sorry 'Zone, I've only hit with the Hybrid Tour on a few occasions. Need to get off my duff a grab a couple before they disappear I guess. One of those frames I tried was roped up with a kevlar hybrid and I think that setup gave it some help in the control dept. I still string my Wilson 6.1's right up to 64-65 lbs. with 17 ga. synthetic gut to keep me happy and I'd probably try the same in that Prince if I had one. Maybe a couple of lbs. looser for the first sampling, but the consensus on these racquets is that a snug set of strings is best to keep things under control.