PDA

View Full Version : grommet question

tsongaali
11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I had some lead on the 12 oclock position of my racquet on the inner side of the hoop. It kept coming off while I was hitting so when my strings broke I removed the bumper guard so that I could put the lead tape underneath it. Anyways I put the bumper guard back on while using an awl to straighten the grommets, but for some they were too flared so I had to cut them a little bit. So now the grommet is in place but 4 of the grommet things aren't surfacing through the holes, but they are inside so the string can get through. Also the bumper guard isn't completely smooth at the parts where the lead tape started and ended at. Is this a problem, or will this cause future problems?

TW Staff
11-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I had some lead on the 12 oclock position of my racquet on the inner side of the hoop. It kept coming off while I was hitting so when my strings broke I removed the bumper guard so that I could put the lead tape underneath it. Anyways I put the bumper guard back on while using an awl to straighten the grommets, but for some they were too flared so I had to cut them a little bit. So now the grommet is in place but 4 of the grommet things aren't surfacing through the holes, but they are inside so the string can get through. Also the bumper guard isn't completely smooth at the parts where the lead tape started and ended at. Is this a problem, or will this cause future problems?

It will be a problem if you have string shearing. If you are hitting the ball off center in the area where the grommets are not protruding through the frame, the string most likely will break.

Danny, TW