View Full Version : Pure Drive Roddick

nns91
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Any comment about this stick ?

How does it compare with Pure Drive ??

Is it super heavy ?

haerdalis
11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
No its not super heavy, it is very solid but also very powerful. It is also quite stiff so you need to hit the ball cleanly with good technique and no tendencies for elbow issues with this one.
I quite liked it but apart from the stiffness.

nns91
11-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Is it much stiffer than the Pure Drive ?

nCode747
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Is it much stiffer than the Pure Drive ?

one point, hardly even noticible

nns91
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
So it's 71. What is the maximum ? I mean I guess PDR is among the stiffest ?

nns91
11-10-2008, 05:48 PM
How strong does your arm need to be to swing this stick ?

Bubba
11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Good stick to swing but you need good technique and footwork to tame the power. Fun to play with.

Many here on te boards will say it's too powerful - that's an opinion. Many love it and play well with it. You may want to dabble in the Babolat Alliance thread.

nns91
11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
does it need a super strong arm to swing ??

DizBoiDanny
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Just use it. I'm a 16 year old with polu and syn on it. And its fine. I find it very soft. IMO

nns91
11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
How strong is your arm ? Like can we take it by how much weight you can lift ?

I am so anxious and cannot wait to try it. I have to wait till next week to try it so I don't know if I can swing it or not

pfchang
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
does it need a super strong arm to swing ??

How strong is your arm ? Like can we take it by how much weight you can lift ?

I am so anxious and cannot wait to try it. I have to wait till next week to try it so I don't know if I can swing it or not

dude. chill.

you don't need big diesel guns to handle a stick like that. in fact depending on your technique, it may do most of the work for you.

DizBoiDanny
11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I only weight 150, and i don't work out. You don't need to be superman to use this stick. Its just all about how you use it.

FedererForehand
11-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I used to play with the PDR but it just felt like I needed a much quicker forehand to get the most out of it then I was getting if that makes sense.

nns91
11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok. Thanks anyway. It kinda relieves me a lot. I cannot wait till I can try out this stick next week.

It's kinda embarrassing but believe me I weighs only 125 so probably it's my problem.

JRstriker12
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I've been playing with the PDR for the last two years and I love it. Basically, it's heavier than the standard pure drive - about 11.7 oz strung compared to about 10+ oz for the standard PD.

There's plenty of spin and power in this stick. It's good for serving and ground strokes - but also pretty versatile so you can play at the net, though you may not get as much touch as some of the more flexy rackets. It's a good racket overall - there's a reason why players of all different levels, play with it.

It's very stiff and I play with a poly hybrid (Blue Gear mains and Goosen crosses) - and the poly with the stiffness gives it a crisp feel and good spin.

I like the weight and stability of the PDR over the PD. The PD is good, but the PDR is more stable against big hitters. If you are an average sized male, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the weight of the PDR, but Demo both and find out which one you like better. The stick is a few points headlight, almost even balance, so IMHO, it doesn't swing too heavy either.

If you like extended length rackets, try the PDR+. I find the PDR+ to be great off the ground, but for some reason, the extra length threw off my serve a bit, though when I hit it right, I hit some smoking serves.

I haven't had any problems with Tennis elbow, but if you have a very sensitive arm, this stick may not be for you, or you may want to go with a gut or soft synthetic string.

If I had to point out a weakness, I'd say it's touch around the net. You may not get a lot of feel close in, but I find that you will still be rewarded at the net if you have good technique.

My two cents.

nns91
11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate that.

What do you mean by average sized ?

I don't think I have a sensitive elbow at all.

I am so excited to try out this stick. Is the difference between the long version and the standard version really obvious ? I think I got the standard version.

psp2
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
So it's 71. What is the maximum ? I mean I guess PDR is among the stiffest ?

It's stiff, but still not the stiffest I've seen. That would be a Yamaha Secret 04 with an 84 RA flex rating!!

JRstriker12
11-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate that.

What do you mean by average sized ?

I don't think I have a sensitive elbow at all.

I am so excited to try out this stick. Is the difference between the long version and the standard version really obvious ? I think I got the standard version.

A dude between 5'7+ weighing about 140+ should be able to swing this racket no prob. I have a buddy who's a lot smaller and lighter than I am (I'm 5'10" about 215) and he plays well with a 12+ oz stick. Basically, I think most people (male or female) could swing this racket with no probs.

I didn't notice anything on the PDR+ from off the ground or volleys, but I did notice it on the serve. It's just seemed to get to the ball a half second slower than my standard size stick. Basically, I just needed to get used to the feel of the extra length, not really a big adjustment. Probably would have taken about a week or so - but I still decided to go with the regular length - just my preference. One thing though, I did notice that you got some extra pop from the longer stick on serves.

nns91
11-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks. I think that I got the normal version.

Is it a good idea to use 2 different rackets for my game ? I mean 2 different types

smirker
11-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks. I think that I got the normal version.

Is it a good idea to use 2 different rackets for my game ? I mean 2 different types

errr, no in a word. Using different sticks will throw your timing out. Demo to find what you want then buy at least two sticks the same to have an identical backup in case you pop a string. Re the PDR, it's a bludgeon rather than a scalpel. I demoed it for a week and although I liked the power I found it unpredictable and as I prefer to supply my own power I settled on the m-fil 300 instead.

nns91
11-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Thank you. So does using 2 different stick affect a lot like does it damage my technique or something really severe ??

JRstriker12
11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
RE - using two sticks.

Do what feels right. Think that for most people, they benefit of having the same stick and not switching so that the feel is they same and they don't have to adjust thier swings and timing.

But some people like playing with different sticks as you see on this board, people have bags full of different sticks that they pull out eveyr once in a while - or they are always demoing and trying new sticks.

But if you only had two rackets, I would get two of the same.

nns91
11-11-2008, 08:41 AM
So I think I made a huge mistake here. I got 2 different rackets.It means I will have trouble with timing and my swing ??

JRstriker12
11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
So I think I made a huge mistake here. I got 2 different rackets.It means I will have trouble with timing and my swing ??

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows, it may work out okay for you. It's just easier to stay consistent when you keep things constant.

Personally, if my swing is grooved, I don't want to have to change anything when I go to my back-up/fresh racket in the middle of a match.... unless it's an intentional change, like my ball is going long so I go to a tighter strung racket. But that doens't mean that I can't play well if I play with a demo or when trying out a friend's racket.

nns91
11-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Right. I understand what you mean. It kinda relieves me. I am in such a strange situation now.

SO you mean it also depends on your technique ?

JRstriker12
11-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Right. I understand what you mean. It kinda relieves me. I am in such a strange situation now.

SO you mean it also depends on your technique ?

Depends on the person. Some people switch all the time and it's no big deal.

More about personal preference.

But, if you have good overall technique, you can play well with any racket.

nns91
11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I still have to wait any see then, not till next week.

I am really scared now. Dude, can I have your MSN or however I can talk to you ??

shell
11-11-2008, 10:36 AM

I am really scared now. Dude, can I have your MSN or however I can talk to you ??

You are starting to sound really wierd. Are you iphoneman? iphoneman got banned - think about it.

nns91
11-11-2008, 10:59 AM
No. I am just too worried about my decision. Sorry !!!

I am new here so I don't really know what iphoneman did.

JediMindTrick
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
How strong does your arm need to be to swing this stick ?

Look what happened to Igor Andreev's arm:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=156342

Is your arm stronger than his?

nns91
11-11-2008, 11:15 AM
no. Ow I am totally scared. So does it mean I cannot handle this stick then ?

nCode747
11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
no. Ow I am totally scared. So does it mean I cannot handle this stick then ?

dude chill, anyone older then ten years old can handle it

nns91
11-11-2008, 01:44 PM
ok. I will. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

JRstriker12
11-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Just post to this thread. I have alerts up.

Chill - you can handle it.

pfchang
11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
You are starting to sound really wierd. Are you iphoneman? iphoneman got banned - think about it.

yeah, i was thinkin that too...OH LAWDY!!!

nns91
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
What did he do actually ?

Sorry if I was so annoying.

pfchang
11-11-2008, 05:20 PM
What did he do actually ?

Sorry if I was so annoying.

do a search for iphoneman in this subforum. it tells for itself.

carhi1814
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
i use the pure drive and i like it alot better then the roddick one i feel better control but no its not super heavy

nns91
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks for your comment.

so you think pure drive has more control than the pure drive roddick ?

carhi1814
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
yeah but the pure drive roddick gets you more power but you should try them for yourself to see which one you would want......whos iphoneman and what did he do?

nns91
11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I will have a chance to try to pure drive roddick next week.

How about the control of the pure drive roddick ? I mean like how big of a difference it is between it and pure drive ?

shell
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
yeah but the pure drive roddick gets you more power but you should try them for yourself to see which one you would want......whos iphoneman and what did he do?

He asked the same questions over and over and over and over again in several different threads, and was eventually banned due to his obvious egging on of people who were trying to help. Very similar to this thread.

OP, go play tennis - with whichever racquet you bought. Then come tell us how it played. Nobody here can tell you what will work for you.

shell
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I will have a chance to try to pure drive roddick next week.

How about the control of the pure drive roddick ? I mean like how big of a difference it is between it and pure drive ?

Not enough to worry and fret about. go play. Either will be fine.

DriveABC
11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
i've been using PDR for high school varsity tennis for 3 years.

i'm a hard server (around 110) and an aggressive baseliner.
this racket is magic if you are aggressive and tend to attack every chance ball you get.

ofcourse, i think you dont need to be too strong, but i wouldn't recommend it as a first stick to use for tennis. I do agree with people on spin + using your body to tame it, because that's how i hit my forehand and serves.

SPPP is the best poly i've tried on it, it lowers power a bit and softens the feel by a lot, and does NOT lose tension that much.

on hybrid.. i must say i would go with pro supex matrix.

nns91
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I heard people stringing this stick with hybrid. What if I just string it with 1 type ? what does it affect ?

carhi1814
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
nothing really you can string what you want on it.....so iphoneman got so famous just from that thats stupid

pfchang
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
nothing really you can string what you want on it.....so iphoneman got so famous just from that thats stupid

HE GOT BANNED.

nCode747
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM

also his useless 15 posts per day

penguins_r_kool
11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Ok. Thanks anyway. It kinda relieves me a lot. I cannot wait till I can try out this stick next week.

It's kinda embarrassing but believe me I weighs only 125 so probably it's my problem.

I weigh only 115 more or less and I swing it just fine =\

I'm one of those ppl who think it has too much power.

nickarnold2000
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Think of it like this, you're in a major battle and at 5 all in the 3rd you pop a string. Do you really think it's wise to start using a different racket at this point in the match? For me, tennis is already tough enough as it is what with nerves and all.
Actually, this situation really happened to me but it was my opponent who needed to borrow a stick(I have 3). Needless to say, I won 7-5.
PS For those who don't think they're strong enough - start resistence training now. Only good things can come of it.

nns91
11-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks for commenting.

Now, I realize what is the disadvantage of using 2 different rackets. Hopefully, I will figure out some ways to handle this.

movdqa
11-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Played 1.5 sets with the PDR tonight (our time was up). This is the stiffest frame that I've ever used with the possible exception of the Wilson Ultra II which I hit with for 10 minutes many years ago.

I was pretty amazed that it was far stiffer than an old wide-body racquet that I have.

I also found it very stable and light (anything feels light coming from the K90 with lead) and it is a blast to use on the forehand side. I had a little trouble controlling forehand returns of serve hitting several long. I need to consciously add topspin when hitting out. I found it pretty tough to use on the backhand side (I have a one-handed backhand). I'm very comfortable with the K90 on the backhand so I think that it will take some time to get comfortable with the PDR on the backhand side.

The racquet is a spin monster on the forehand, backhand and serve.

I didn't find a huge amount of power on the serve - less than the K90. But I'm used to heavy racquets and lots of plow-through on the serve and I think that the PDR requires more racquet-head speed which is something that I'll have to work on. I used to hit very hard serves with the widebody and can't after using very heavy racquets so I need to make some changes. Spin on the serve was excellent though. I felt that I could hit out on my second serve, as long as I put a ton of spin on it.

On the forehand, it is possible to pocket shots with the racquet. The ball shoots off the thing like a laser.

My arm feels okay after hitting with it but I'll know for sure in the morning. I've had a little arm pain lately but I think that's more due to weight-lifting than tennis. This racquet will take a while to get comfortable with. I can also see why people would look for something with a little less power but I think that everyone should try this racquet at least once.

I only hit only a few volleys and found a lot of control but I was expecting more punch. I'll have to figure that one out too.

quicken
11-27-2008, 12:22 AM
My serve vastly improved with this stick.
However, after reaching a certain point in my game level, I found it to be too strong for me.

gymrat76
11-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Played with PDR extensively for like 3 months. Strung w/ Alu Rough at 63 lbs.

At first, the racquet feels awesome. You can do pretty much everything well! Hard serve, lightning responsive groundstrokes. Definitely better than average backhand slice. Nice spin. There is some maneuverability problems but you don't mind. After a while, you realize that, everytime you hit a forehand or backhand, you find yourself thinking "thank god, my ball stayed in". You hit a big forehand and catch a short weak ball in mid court. You attack the ball for a spinny ball on a corner. And you realize the ball falls a feet behind the baseline even with the spinniest shot.
Or, you get a heavy shot at your backhand, especialy if you have a 2hbh, good luck with maneuvering the stick. Another thing, you find your balls spraying when hitting passing shots.
In my case, worst part was the fact that, PDR was a true enemy of my arm. Especially strung with full bed Rough (or most harsh polys) I found the stick to be a true prescription for arm problems. NO joke. I could not play tennis two days in a row!

movdqa
11-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I have it strung at 58 and spend at least a little time lifting weights once or twice a day. It seems to me that there are some pretty strong people that use the racquet and they do manage. Do they just put more spin on the ball?

I found it very nice for hitting clean winners from mid-court balls.

I'll give it a month and see how it goes.

I have thought about adding several grams of lead to get some more power on the serve and then adding something rubbery in the handle to make it more headlight. Time will tell.

quest01
11-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I used to play with the PDR but it just felt like I needed a much quicker forehand to get the most out of it then I was getting if that makes sense.

I thought you were a K90 user... The PDR is a good racquet but I prefer the APDC plus due to the added control, comfort, and stability.

Surfy111
11-28-2008, 05:43 AM
the pdr is superb/... it is very powerfull and if u hit with proper technique n cleanly this racket is the best oout there

movdqa
11-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I hit with it for the second time today with a better player with more pace and the PDR continues to be a fun racquet to hit with. I experimented with a full western for a few minutes (use a semi-western right now) and the spin with that grip is insane. I can hit heavy topspin off both sides but can generate more with the forehand (1hbh). Backhand slice is wonderful. It's a nice racquet to hit heavy topspin with in rallies and then flatten out the shot for a putaway but it will take time to get it measured right.

It's also possible to hit some insane inside-outside topspin shots short to the backhand side where the other guy just watches it with a dropped jaw. I do find control problems but I think that's due to being a bit lazy on adding spin.

One other thing that I noticed with this racquet is very rough skin forming. I haven't had this since I used a widebody regularly. I guess there is far more stress on the hand/arm. What usually happens is that a blister forms in one spot, pops and then I'm good as long as I play regularly.

I also got to hit some volleys with the racquet. It's certainly great on anything above the net. I was able to hit lower volleys but was a little tentative as I was worried that the ball would fly over the baseline. It will take some time to get the racquet angle right for low volleys. Stability was fine.

After day two - still no arm problems.

The guy that I was hitting with had a Pure Drive Team in his bag and asked me if I wanted to try it. I did try it before and didn't like it as it felt like a feather. I find the PDR to be nicely weighted for everything except for the serve where I would like something heavier. I think that I will use it for a month and think about a second if there are no arm problems.

Schills
11-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I struggled with the Pure Drive with Cortex for about a year and then switched to the PDR because the Pure Drive was too light. I needed more weight on the racket. I struggled with the PDR for another year before finally giving up on wide-bodied, supper stiff rackets. They're all too powerful for my flat hitting style and I found myself having to think way too much on each stroke as opposed to swinging freely. I see lots of people using both, but they hit with a lot of topspin, and my stroke isn't going to change to meet the demands of the racket just to keep the ball in the court. Serve was great, slice backhand was good, but touch with volleys and basic groundstrokes were completely unsatisfactory. I had the same problems with the K95. Now I've switched to thin beamed, moderately stiff 64-66 frames and love the game more than ever. To everyone. . . . unless you naturally hit with a significant amount of topspin, avoid these rackets.

movdqa
11-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I used thin-beamed racquets for many years. The Dunlop Revelation Tour Pro leaded up to 17 oz for many, many years. Then the PK Redondo - a wonderful racquet though a little low-powered without lead. Then the K90 which was a stiffer racquet with a lot more power than the Redondo or the Revelation Tour Pro. I had to switch to a semi-western to hit with the racquet. Flat strokes just went out if I hit out. But it took a long time to make the grip transition. It was similar to my transition from a continental forehand to an eastern forehand 30 years ago so I knew that it would take a long time and that I'd lose a lot of matches making the transition.

I completely understand players with an eastern forehand that don't want to change. I play with a guy that uses a continental grip and he's tried lots of racquets and is just plan uncomfortable hitting heavy topspin shots and doesn't want to go through the trouble of changing grips. I think his use of the continental grip contributes to his shoulder problems and he's going to have to do something if he wants to continue playing tennis. Either surgery, therapy or maybe weight training.

We've had so many Breakpoint vs Mojo posts on the differences in traditional vs modern styles and it appears to me that the modern game has taken over leaving us older folks a tough decision. Switch or fight? Mojo asks - do you want to win or feel good in playing. Well, I think that the older folks would like both. But do we settle for feeling good and enjoying the feel or going for the more effective approach? I'm giving the modern way a shot. If my arm can't take it (which is a real possibility), then I'll have to back off and it will have cost me a few bucks for the experiment. They guy that I hit with today asked me if I was nuts playing with the PD given his experience. But he did admit that I was playing better with it than with the K90.

movdqa
11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Played a few hours of doubles today with the PDR.

Serve was decent, returns of serves were very nice. Lobs, lob volleys were very nice.

I had a lot of problems adjusting to the racquet on volleys. Some were fine but I had trouble finding the range in punching and blocking volleys. I'm used to the K90 doing a lot of the work on volleys with it's weight, feel and touch. There is touch available on the PDR but the feel is completely different. I think that it will just take a lot of practice hitting volleys. There is one nice surprise on a shot - the backhand volley - it's easy to nail the shot with this racquet.

Still thinking of adding a little lead at 3 and 9 for a little more punch on the serve. I do find control of the serve excellent with the racquet by just using lots of spin. Didn't double fault once today.

gymrat76
11-30-2008, 05:05 PM
I struggled with the Pure Drive with Cortex for about a year and then switched to the PDR because the Pure Drive was too light. I needed more weight on the racket. I struggled with the PDR for another year before finally giving up on wide-bodied, supper stiff rackets. They're all too powerful for my flat hitting style and I found myself having to think way too much on each stroke as opposed to swinging freely. I see lots of people using both, but they hit with a lot of topspin, and my stroke isn't going to change to meet the demands of the racket just to keep the ball in the court. Serve was great, slice backhand was good, but touch with volleys and basic groundstrokes were completely unsatisfactory. I had the same problems with the K95. Now I've switched to thin beamed, moderately stiff 64-66 frames and love the game more than ever. To everyone. . . . unless you naturally hit with a significant amount of topspin, avoid these rackets.

Perfectly agreed.

matchpoints
12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Played with PDR extensively for like 3 months. Strung w/ Alu Rough at 63 lbs.....In my case, worst part was the fact that, PDR was a true enemy of my arm. Especially strung with full bed Rough (or most harsh polys) I found the stick to be a true prescription for arm problems. NO joke. I could not play tennis two days in a row!

Stringing with LUX at 62 lbs in any racquet is asking for trouble. It's like putting 18" Rims with slim racing tires on your Mustang when your commute is on gravel roads. The highest I ever string mine is at 58 lbs AND with a softer Topspin Cyberflash AND at high altitude. Near sea level I drop it to 54 or 52 lbs. The other option that works well is hybrid it with something soft.

You gotta admit one thing though. It's a fun stick to play with :twisted:

movdqa
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I have three or four racquets strung at 62 pounds with Lux and didn't have any problems with them. Three were Dunlop Revelation Tour Pros weighted to 17 ounces with most in the handle using silicone caulk.

The PDR is a fun stick to play with. Still on the lookout for arm problems.

Dark_Angel85
12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
longer racquets will somehow get to ya when it comes to volleys.. it ain't that long but it'll bother ya somehow

gymrat76
12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Stringing with LUX at 62 lbs in any racquet is asking for trouble. It's like putting 18" Rims with slim racing tires on your Mustang when your commute is on gravel roads. The highest I ever string mine is at 58 lbs AND with a softer Topspin Cyberflash AND at high altitude. Near sea level I drop it to 54 or 52 lbs. The other option that works well is hybrid it with something soft.

You gotta admit one thing though. It's a fun stick to play with :twisted:

Lol nice analogy. Though I never had tension less than 60 with any racquets as I cant get enough control. I had lux on POG os at 65lbs..no problems. Problem is, PDR is a very stiff racquet..when combined with lux..it ****ed my arm basically..

gymrat76
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I have three or four racquets strung at 62 pounds with Lux and didn't have any problems with them. Three were Dunlop Revelation Tour Pros weighted to 17 ounces with most in the handle using silicone caulk.

The PDR is a fun stick to play with. Still on the lookout for arm problems.

Did you say 17 ounce? How exactly do you play with that club? Just wondering what level of tennis you play. No pro that I heard of does that. You might as well weigh it up to even number of 20 ounce :)

movdqa
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
[Did you say 17 ounce? How exactly do you play with that club? Just wondering what level of tennis you play. No pro that I heard of does that. You might as well weigh it up to even number of 20 ounce]

There are four strips of lead in the hoop and the rest of the weight is in the handle so it's about 30 points headlight. It's actually easier to swing than the K90. Adding additional weight to the handle would be quite difficult as they are filled with caulk and roofing nails. Adding more nails results in vibration.

RoddickAce
12-01-2008, 01:54 PM
It's a solid racquet and I haven't had any arm problems from using this racquet (pro hurricane 60 pounds).