PDA

View Full Version : Gaston Gaudio wins another ATP

Astennix
02-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Just won ATP Buenos Aires...second ATP on clay this year (he won Vina del Mar, Chile, last week). Seems he is playing extremely well on clay.

rhubarb
02-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Well there's a surprise...he is the reigning Roland Garros champion, after all :)

He's obviously decided he's had enough for now though, since he withdrew from next week's tournament in Brazil. But then as he couldn't gain any points by winning it, no big deal.

LSee19
02-13-2005, 03:22 PM
he better win another title, because I just don't see him repeating as French Open champ this year and he's gonna lose alot of points if he doesn't....

rhubarb
02-13-2005, 03:30 PM
He can't load up on any more optional points, he's got a full set already. Gaudio's got a pretty good chance on picking up some from the clay masters - at least he won't meet Federer in the first round in Hamburg this year. And I expect he could do quite well at Roland Garros, although I don't think he will win either.

TheNatural
02-13-2005, 06:03 PM
How does he have maximum optional points-how does that work exactly?

Rickson
02-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Gaudio is the longest of long shots to repeat as the FO champion. There are just too many good clay court players out there.

arosen
02-13-2005, 06:53 PM
I just caught myself thinking: Rhubarb is right, no way Gaudio's gonna win Garros again. Oh, wait, that's what I was thinking before the French last year. Dam-n, the game is unpredictable these days.

rhubarb
02-14-2005, 03:22 AM
How does he have maximum optional points-how does that work exactly?

ATP rules allow you to count only 5 optional tournaments (if you are ranked high enough to play Masters events).

Gaudio has 210, 175, 175, 175, 175 in his set of optionals. This means that until one of those falls off his ranking, he can't gain any more optional points unless he wins an event worth 200 or more. He doesn't defend anything until Barcelona.

Federer is in a similar position (300, 250, 225, 175, 175); he would have to win in Rotterdam to gain any points this week. Defense of his biggest one is coming up very soon though.

juu
02-14-2005, 04:14 AM
[post deleted]

Colpo
02-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Sure, there are a lot of clay-courters out there, but guess what, Gaudio on any day is easily one of the best of them. Just look at the way that he's chewed up half of Latin America in winning 10 straight the past two weeks. I think it's just too early to even prognosticate about the French. The spring Euro tour is still months away, and so much about success at the French has to do with getting the balance right, not overplaying, etc. (history's most apparent exception: Muster in '95). Gaudio will also have a lot of pressure added to the mix. But let's face it: unlike Gomez or Costa, there's no reason to believe that Gaudio has tapped out with his French win - he's now in his prime and racking tournaments. Good luck to Gaston!

Rabbit
02-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Colpo, I couldn't agree more.

Gaudio is one of the most under-rated players out there. The guy has a great set of wheels, one of the best and most versatile backhands on clay, and a true sense for playing on dirt. Add a great kick serve that he can put anywhere in the box on either side, a thundering forehand and great conditioning, and you have......well.....a....French Open champ. I also agree that it's too early to predict who'll win the French, there's still a lot of tennis to be played, but I think Gaudio has as good a chance as anyone to win right now.

VictorS.
02-14-2005, 09:34 AM
I agree Rabbit. Obviously it's going to be extremely difficult to repeat in Paris. However, he's playing awefully well right now on the clay. His backhand is perhaps the best in the game on clay. And like you said, his movement is very underrated. I definitely see him winning one of the clay court masters tourneys. In addition, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't at least make the quarters at roland garros.

TheNatural
02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
rhubarb,

Thanks for that