PDA

View Full Version : help need help picking out a new racquet

dark-zero
11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
i cracked my k90 today, i wasnt really upset about it, i was happy in a way because i could get a new racquet, and new suggestions about a easier racquet. dont say demo a bunch of racquets.

95-100
11.0-12.0
i am all court player, i can generate my own power

i dont really care about the string pattern, my 2hb is my best shot

pfchang
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
thanks! all that info helps.

seriously, tell us what you want out of your new stick, like what kind of feel, what kinda anything.

COPEY
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Try this one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KZEN.html) for starters. ;)

pfchang
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Try this one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KZEN.html) for starters. ;)

s'a huge step down from a K90 dont'cha think?

Tennis_Crazed
11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
which wilson racquet would you recommend - how do yo think it compares with the babolat line?

COPEY
11-25-2008, 12:09 AM
s'a huge step down from a K90 dont'cha think?

It's a Wilson racquet I tested that played fairly decent (I use a Volkl).

As you pointed out, he didn't provide info about his playing style; he merely asked for racquet suggestions.

Additionally, he sounded almost relieved to have his K90 out of his hair lol. He seems reluctant to want to demo racquets (which I think is a mistake, but so be it), so I gave him exactly what he asked for - a recommendation.

Whether the KZen is an "easier" racquet to play with compared to the K90 is... well, a moot point in effect. On paper it shouldn't be, but if there's one thing I've learned in my 35 years of playing this game is regardless of what the racquet description says, how it feels to you on court is law.

Trivial dribble: Jay Berger, now a member of the USTA Player Development staff and Ashley Harkleroad's coach, played with an oversized graphite racquet (Prince) in the 90s when almost everyone else had switched to graphite. He would buy 'em up at local stores whenever he traveled, then have them customized to his liking.

I'm not disputing that my suggestion isn't a step down from the K90. My point is it's possible he might prefer how KZen plays by comparison. ;)

Tennis-Crazed, just as pfchang suggested to dark-zero, if you provide more info about your game/playing stlye it would be easier to make suggestions in order to get you started. I don't play-test many racquets, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who do. Having said that, I recently hit with a few Prince Ozone models that felt pretty good... that is, if you're not committed to Wilson or Babolat. :)