PDA

View Full Version : PROs throwing racquets and so on...

Aykhan Mammadov
02-13-2005, 03:57 PM
I have just leaved another thread to revive some interesting moments.

Maybe adults give some reaction.

The speech is about official rules of tennis 2004 supported by International Tennis Federation (ITF).

1. Sometimes I see some PROS in order to return a ball grounding a little far from the point they stand throw a racquet in order to hit the ball with flying racquet. Is is show off or they don't know the rules ? Do you know what will happen if they succeed and hit the ball back? Nothing.

Answer: Player loses point according ITF rules 2004, Section 24:

(i) IF the ball in play touches the racquet when the player is not holding it.

So, PROS, don't throw racquets ! Even if you hit the ball back, you loses.

2. Everybody heard that if your string is broken a let is not called. But I couldn't find the proof in ITF 2004 rules and I sent them a letter about.

3. By the way, if string is broken then from that moment your racquet doesn't comply with the rules about racquets because according to ITF 2004, Appendix II (a) " The stringing pattern must be generally uniform ...". Hence, you wouldn't have rights to continue to play. And I'm for counting such a point as lost point. Anyhow according rules players may have right to continue or may not to have such a right according event organisers . ( Section 4, Case 4).

4. If your racquet is broken not deliberately but accidentally. Why not to call a let ? What is your guilt? Isn't it manufacturer's guilt, the same as in the case when a ball is broken ? But don't answer that this is your personal gear ? What else ? I didn't start playing with broken racquet from the beginning, it was broken in the middle of play. Can you find answer in ITF rules 2004 ?

5. Do you know that we are discussing here a lot, but according rules 2004 , Appendix 4, Section : "Score in a set" there is already short = 4 games sets ? And this is an official ITF rules of tennis.

Please, any comments must be done according "official rules 2004" if you can deduce something from them, not based on what you were teached or heard or what you know as a result of experience.

Here I'm touching the problem of " completness" of the Rules of Tennis 2004. In other words, everything what we know must be possible to deduce from those rules. Isn't ?

Don S
02-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Since when does a broken string render the string pattern not uniform? If you break a string during a point and you win the point, you win the point. The string pattern hasn't changed just because you broke a string.

BatCode
02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I sure hope I never have to play this guy.

ffrpg
02-13-2005, 08:57 PM
There are so many things wrong with this post and I guess I'll point them out. First off, PROs do know the rules and it's not often that you see a Pro player throwing a racquet to reach for a ball (which is something I've never seen). As for your second comment, Pete Sampras has broken many strings during points, but continued playing with it until the point was over (I've never seen any pro call for a let when they broke their strings during a point). As for your third comment, I think that applies to spaghetti stringing and the prevention of it. For your fourth comment, how does one break their racquet accidently during a point? You'd have to have one crazy follow through for that to happen. The rules are fine the way they are. You are misinterpreting them and accounting for things that aren't very likely to happen, that's why they aren't in the rulebook.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 05:12 AM
ffrpg, Safin many times in jumping throws his racquet, I have seen others do also, hundred times. Rules are Rules and they must cover all cases, even those which difficult to imagine.

Again and again, don't write what you consider must be and what you heard, write based on text of rules.

Camilio Pascual
02-14-2005, 06:10 AM
AM - Superman (or some guy with a jet pack) is flying over a court, taking a girl he saved from a burning building to an emergency room. One of her shoes falls off and hits the server during the ball toss, causing him to mishit the ball, but it goes over, anyway, and the startled returner does not play the ball. Should a let have been called at the moment of impact? The server suffers a dislocated shoulder. Can he sue the girl and Superman or does the ATP Tour have legal standing? Something to think about during your BM, AM.

matchpoints
02-14-2005, 06:42 AM
For your fourth comment, how does one break their racquet accidently during a point? You'd have to have one crazy follow through for that to happen.

Seen it done by a 14yr old. Hit a backhand and the racquet broke off at the throat. He was holding a handle only :) He Does beat the bejesus out of the ball, but I think over a period of abuse, it can happen.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 07:37 AM
AM - Superman (or some guy with a jet pack) is flying over a court, taking a girl he saved from a burning building to an emergency room. One of her shoes falls off and hits the server during the ball toss, causing him to mishit the ball, but it goes over, anyway, and the startled returner does not play the ball. Should a let have been called at the moment of impact? The server suffers a dislocated shoulder. Can he sue the girl and Superman or does the ATP Tour have legal standing? Something to think about during your BM, AM.

Camilio, this fantastic situation is clearly solved by Rules 2004, Section 26:

" .. the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by ...something outside players own control..."

Andy Hewitt
02-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I cant read this

ChrisNC
02-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Rule 4, Case 4 says that a player may continue to play with the racquet with a broken string, so the non-uniform rule doesn't apply

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 10:08 AM
ChrisNC, but there is continuation of the case 4. Did you miss it? " Except where prohibited by organisers". It means that somewhere it can be prohibited to play with broken strings.

Frankly speaking it is contradiction inside rules. The rule about racquet conradicts to the possibility to play with a broken string. By the way, case is not a rule, it is interpretation of the rule to be exact.

pound cat
02-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Is this a bar admission exam or something?

ChrisNC
02-14-2005, 02:10 PM
ChrisNC, but there is continuation of the case 4. Did you miss it? " Except where prohibited by organisers". It means that somewhere it can be prohibited to play with broken strings.

Frankly speaking it is contradiction inside rules. The rule about racquet conradicts to the possibility to play with a broken string. By the way, case is not a rule, it is interpretation of the rule to be exact.

Yes, I saw that. Have you EVER seen a tournament where it was prohibited? I'm guessing no. And yes I know that a case is just an interpretation, but it's an official interpretation.

norcal
02-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Aykhan - I'm doing you a favor and making this thread worth looking at.

http://www.cramikskim.com/colin/jelena099.jpg

Her strings do not appear to be broken.

fedex27
02-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Aykhan - I'm doing you a favor and making this thread worth looking at.

http://www.cramikskim.com/colin/jelena099.jpg

Her strings do not appear to be broken.
we are supposed to be looking at the strings? intresting maybe aykhan will

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 05:31 PM
E-hh, boys there are so many beautiful girls on Earth,especially in Russia. On photos if you like photos.

But where from did u get such a desire to find some beautiful just among tennis-players, a-a-a boys ?

By the way she keeps the racquet in contradiction with the rules 2004.