PDA

View Full Version : Old/classic racquets experts please help! Info inside

goldenyama
11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
I bought an original Prince Graphite Comp OS, the one with no grommet strip or bumper, only individual grommets. There were a few broken grommets so I cut up another set, shaved the grommets with a knife till they fitted and glued them in. So far so good.

When I got the racquet there were some old rotting bits of leather that had been stuck on the outside of the frame in between the grommets, I guess to reduce the friction between the strings and the outside of the frame. These came off easily and I`m sure some already had. These seemed to be mainly around the bottom of the racquet.

The question I have is, should I glue some new bits of leather on there before I take it to be strung - and how many and where should I glue them? Should I do every gap or just the ones around the bottom?

Did anybody used to do this back in the day? Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

MichaelChang
11-12-2008, 06:36 AM
May I ask what kind of glue do you use? I have a similar problem as you with the old POG OS that uses individual grommets.

MichaelChang
11-12-2008, 06:41 AM
why are you using a racquet that is 25 years old?

Because they are better than today's rackets, as long as they are still in good shape.

MAX PLY
11-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Sounds like you are describing power pads, which were generally used to "round out" the corners and put less stress on the string. There are a couple of threads on the board about power pads if you want some more information. I would not suggest using glue to stick them on the racquet (while some commercially available power pads had a mild adhesive to keep them im place (when strung, the string will keep the leather in place), I suspect glue would just mess up the frame.). A good stringer will likely either have some or be able to quickly manufacture some (I used to use the commercial ones or cut up old grips (back when most grips were leather). Likewise, if the corners/grommets are sharp, tubing may suffice. Good luck.