PDA

View Full Version : How long does the 'honeymoon' period last?

pmata814
11-12-2008, 05:36 AM
I've switched racquets many times, so I know I should have an idea of how long the honeymoon period lasts, but in the past I've never had that "this is the one" feeling (except for the Pure Storm Tour but I had to get rid of that bkuz of arm issues). So though I like the racquet there's always a reason to not be totally convinced so there really isn't a 'honeymoon' period per say. I'm just giving it time to grow on me.

This is the first time that I REALLY like a new racquet. It's the Prokennex 5g. I've had three outings with it and I feel I like it more every time! So I'm wondering how long before the honeymoon period wears off? What's it been for you guys? Could it be that I finally found..... 'THE ONE'? :shock:

roundiesee
11-12-2008, 05:40 AM
There will be no honeymoon period for the 5G; I think you may have at last found THE ONE, especially for players with TE, the PK kinetic series seems to be the one to use for the long term. I've used the 7G for quite a while now since switching to it due to TE as well. Good luck and have fun playing with the 5G, cheers!

McLovin
11-12-2008, 06:27 AM
I recently changed rackets after using the Bab Pure Control + for 4+ years. I demoed a few, found the one I liked (Fischer M-Comp 95), used it a few times, broke the string, restrung it myself w/ my own string, demoed it for another few weeks, broke that string, tried the Federer combo (Gut mains, Poly cross), demoed that for a few more weeks, then bought 3 of them.

At this point, the honeymoon is still going strong, although if I suddenly start playing like crap, I'm fairly certain it isn't the racket...

kanjii
11-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Like marriage, the honeymoon ends when you get in your first real argument....in the case of tennis, when you get your first real beat down from an opponent :D

Nanshiki
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
It ends as soon as your strings wear out/break. It comes most of the way back when you restring but it's unlikely you'll ever find the "spark" again.

morten
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
3 hours.... maximum. Then i am back with my beloved ps85...

Bud
11-13-2008, 03:23 AM
I've switched racquets many times, so I know I should have an idea of how long the honeymoon period lasts, but in the past I've never had that "this is the one" feeling (except for the Pure Storm Tour but I had to get rid of that bkuz of arm issues). So though I like the racquet there's always a reason to not be totally convinced so there really isn't a 'honeymoon' period per say. I'm just giving it time to grow on me.

This is the first time that I REALLY like a new racquet. It's the Prokennex 5g. I've had three outings with it and I feel I like it more every time! So I'm wondering how long before the honeymoon period wears off? What's it been for you guys? Could it be that I finally found..... 'THE ONE'? :shock:

There will be no honeymoon period for the 5G; I think you may have at last found THE ONE, especially for players with TE, the PK kinetic series seems to be the one to use for the long term. I've used the 7G for quite a while now since switching to it due to TE as well. Good luck and have fun playing with the 5G, cheers!

I feel the same way! When I tried the PK Kinetic Pro 5G about 4-5 months ago... I knew it was different...special :grin:

Now, every time I play with it, I fall in love all over again :wink:

There is no other racquet that feels anything like it.

Il Mostro
11-13-2008, 04:12 AM
I've got one coming in. I have to say that all the love for the feel and does-everything-well qualities tempted me to the point where I had to take the plunge and add one to my collection. I am planning on stringing with VS Team @58-60 pounds.

shell
11-13-2008, 05:09 AM
I have had the 5G for about 6 months, and still love that racquet. I sometimes try out other frames looking for a certain "something" to add to my game (bigger serve, more topspin, less HL, heavier or lighter) but I always come back to the 5G. I think it is the do everything racquet with that special feel to it that is addictive.

Bud - good to see you are still a man in love :)

Il Mostro - I bet you are going to like it! Let us hear after you give it a few hits

mctennis
11-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Usually I can tell after about 10-15 hours of playing. Then I either still love it or hate it. That is with hitting a ball machine AND actual live playing. So total of 20-30 hours.

Storm_Kyori
11-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I think with my racket it's like a summer fling. I love the racket, but I'm pretty sure there is a better racket in the world for me. I will try to stay faithful and just find the right combination of specs to get to that "honeymoon" period.

lilxjohnyy
11-13-2008, 08:06 PM
right now luckily for me, im in my honeymoon period with my prestige mid for 4 months. I cant keep changing rackets...donno why, guess im pretty faithful

samster
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
2 weeks or so.

HappyLefty
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
It lasts when you finally discovered that your racquet is guilty of your losses, not your lack of tranning.

____
11-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Like marriage, the honeymoon ends when you get in your first real argument....in the case of tennis, when you get your first real beat down from an opponent :D

Couldn't agree more

plasma
11-15-2008, 06:50 PM
at first your racquet gives you two free games a set, this daily two games lasts about six months, but then she won't do it anymore and starts wanting to spend too much on remodeling, that's when you know the honeymoon is over, you'd kill for one free game a week, and your eye starts to wander to other frames...once they see that you are willing to pay full price for a new frame they also offer two -..free games a day, yet it's just a honeymoon phase, enjoy.

martini1
11-15-2008, 07:33 PM
May be it's a feeling of having something different, not necessarily better. Once you got used to it you'll have to play with another frame to get that "being different" feeling.

IMHO winning or losing games I never blame on a frame. It's like car racing I guess. There is the driver, the car, the tune up, the conditions, and then the other guys. There are just too many factors into the final results.

Cup8489
11-15-2008, 07:44 PM
for you guys who've used the 5G, what makes it so great? i use the the 03 Tour Mid (95), but i was wanting something with specs almost identical to those of the PK G5. never looked at PK, for whatever reason (i even have an old Copper Ace, dunno why i didnt look at them o.O)

if you've played with the G5 and my o3's, which would you consider more powerful? also, the headsize for the G5 is more preferable for me, more spin :)

pmata814
11-15-2008, 08:27 PM
for you guys who've used the 5G, what makes it so great? i use the the 03 Tour Mid (95), but i was wanting something with specs almost identical to those of the PK G5. never looked at PK, for whatever reason (i even have an old Copper Ace, dunno why i didnt look at them o.O)

if you've played with the G5 and my o3's, which would you consider more powerful? also, the headsize for the G5 is more preferable for me, more spin :)

The thing I like about the 5g is its ball pocketing feel and the control it gives me. It feels like it hugs the ball and then spits it out in the direction I want it to go. It doesn't punish my elbow on mishits as bad as my APDC did and that's great because I had TE about a year ago.

I never wanted to flat out buy this racquet because it wasn't a known name brand. I got a chance to trade for this one and I'm glad I did. Right now I'm hitting with more control than ever and though I sacrificed some power, not as much as you would think.

I haven't played with the 03 tour mid but I've played with the 03 tour MP, which happens to play very similiar to the Diablo MP that I traded for the 5g. So I'll compare the 5g to the 03 tour MP.

In terms of power the 5g has a little more power--probably because it's not as head light. The 5g has more of a plought through feeling to it and it doesn't have that annoying damp feeling that you get from the 03 technology of course. You will get more spin however from the 03 tour, again, probably because it's so headlight it's easier to generate racquet head speed. The 5g still produces good topsin but nowhere near that of the 03 tour IMO.

Il Mostro
11-26-2008, 06:51 AM
My 5G came in last week and I finally hit with it at length yesterday (4.5 hours worth). I can confirm that this is as comfortable as others have described, without having a gooey buttery feeling. As stated by devotees, it seems do well at everything -- no glaring weaknesses. The best word to describe it is "solid". Solid feeling on all type of shots.

The only adjustment I had to make was to the more open throat than I am used to for serving. Just a comfort and position thing, as that is where I usually rest the ball. I easily played with this racquet right out of the box. I used full VS Team @59 pounds, which feels like a perfect match; I do not plan on tweaking it.

It will not replace my TFlash 310's, but still a great racquet for my collection and, God forbid, something to fall back on if I encounter arm or shoulder issues.