PDA

View Full Version : Juan Carlos Ferrero question and answer session

laurie
02-14-2005, 03:30 AM
This is interesting. Especially the comment about Federer and Sampras. Have a look http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/have_your_say/4250549.stm

rhubarb
02-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Yes, I thought that was interesting too. I wonder what his reasons are for preferring to watch Sampras rather than Federer. He never got to play Pete of course. I get the feeling that Juan Carlos still regards himself as a potential rival to Roger, which of course he would be if got back to 2003 form.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Let Ferrero consider himself whomever. As I heard there is much envy in tennis, and tennis is sport for personals not for teams so here everybody is just for himself. So of course he will not tell good words neither in address of Federer, no in address of Nadal.

From my opinion Ferrero is just strong boy who had good physical condidtion at some stage of his career. He doesn't attract me as talented tennis-player and he has zero cahnces to climb up to become 1-st racquet again.

!Tym
02-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't agree with that. Ferrero's ball-striking was incredibly SNAPPY at its best. He really whiplashed it from both sides, and was just incredibly sharp and relentless. Fantastic pace, angles, spin, power, placement, and devastatingly light on his feet, AMAZING footwork.

I really do think his peak form is better than Coria's, and Coria's pretty much right there right now. To me, Ferrero brought what Coria did to the table but with a much bigger forehand and bigger serve.

Ferrero, however, doesn't have the same moxie about him on the court anymore. He used to walk on, and really go for your throat. When he first broke onto the scene, it was amazing to the tour veterans, because he played so fearlessly, and most indicatively, WITHOUT INTIMIDATION...i.e. in the Davis Cup.

However, during his peak, we also saw that on his bad days (which everyone occasionally has, even during a good phase), Ferrero quickly dissolved into a mumbling and sour mess on the court...i.e. the Kucera match mentioned.

I think this infrequent mental vulnerability has now become like that little problem you never foresaw coming... Now, that little leak is like a bleeding dam. That capacity for mental frustration is what now manifests itself as a serious chink in his armor.

Guys like Hewitt who ALWAYS give their all in every match, not just when they're playing well, these kind of guys I feel are far less vulnerable to career magnified slumps. These types only know one way to play, and that's HARD. When you're pre-wired that way, it takes a lot of the thinking involved out of it. With Ferrero, I can imagine too much internal "chatter" going on if you will. Ferrero needs to feel like his game's looking good out there, that he's feeling good out there, that the crowd thinks he LOOKS GOOD out there, to give his all. Otherwise, he becomes quickly dejected, sour puss like. Now magnify this once occasional condition with a recurrence of injuries? NOW, you have a problem. The confidence takes a few hits, dives, the other players sense your mental vunlerability, they pounce. With someone like Hewitt, even when his game's not in top form, players still do not feel they can pounce. Quite simply, Hewitt doesn't let them even consider the possibility. They know that, Hewitt's not concerned with how his game looks, he doesn't care if Kucera's making him look uncoordinated with his dink shots, he simply doesn't even think about that, and most importantly, HE DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, he's not considering you...he's too busy pumping his fists, working up a sweat, and chasing every ball he can down blood, guts, and glory style. With guys like Hewitt, they are always operating on SURVIVAL INSTINCT, a primitive level notably absent of mental repercussions. Picture Hewitt's mind, and it's like a hamster running his little track...one track mind. All out effort...simple. Why make life complicated, by stopping to THINK about it? Ferrero is the type who THINKS about it, unfortunately.

The quickest way out of a slump is to stop thinking about it. That's why baseball coaches might elect to sit out a slumping slugger for a few games if he's getting to down on himself and THINKING about it too much. It's just an elective measure to help a player clear his mind. Clear thinking is the root of all good play. But paradoxically, THINKING about it won't get you anywhere. Clear thinking is perhaps best visualized as a metaphor for emptiness. It's not that complicated to understand...for some.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 11:22 AM
You wrote so long. May be he has power and strength to strike the ball as from gun ( in any case lighter than Roddick), may be when he is in good condition he may move well ( not so good, he was late always to a lot of balls as I watched his games from 2001), and so on..... But he lacks the main thing: the feel of the ball, understanding of tennis, in which point you have to be at that moment and etc.

This kind of players I call as gun-players. Similar Roddick. They are boxers on the court. More power, more strength - better.

Another story is genious Federer, Santoro, the same Coria, Moya...

Datacipher
02-14-2005, 11:46 AM
You're right Tym. I was surprised by a recent thread writing JCF off so quickly. Now, I have no idea if he will ever "come back". He certainly has the talent and game to do so though. His problems have always been mental.

I never like the guy much, but he didn't get where he was by accident. His serve was underrated. His footwork and balance were fantastic. What impressed me most was the compactness and efficiency of his strokes. Unlike some clay courters, he generally took a reasonably compact stroke like Agassi and this gave him the ability, to take balls early (when he desired) and to adapt to the hard courts really well. He understood how to generate big time power with a relatively short(ish) swing. He also was able to improvise with is hands on hard courts quite well and I felt like his hard court game was only going to get better. His problems in big matches and right now are mostly upstairs.

Brettolius
02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
wait, so you're saying ferrero is a touchless basher, and moya is cotton-hands mcgee? nah, i think that's a little backward. and ferrero's movement is what he was known for at the beginning. they don't call him "mosquito" for nothing. to be the king of clay for a couple years, i would say you would need a decent understanding of the game and an ability to set up points over various long rallies. but i agree, he does strike me as a whiny lil' snot on-court.

TheNatural
02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Aykhan Mammadov must not have seen Ferrero play much. I think you know more about the pro player's sox than their games. lol

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 12:45 PM
TheNatural, I saw a lot of his games. When he became FO champion, how he lost to Hewitt in Shangai MC final, how he lost to Costa at preceding FO, how he lost to Roddick at USAOpen despite Roddick has nothing apart of services and many, many others. I know his game as my 5 fingers. I see nothing attractive in his game, standard clay-court player of Spanish style, with good health and physics, poor understanding of tennis.

Do you know that he opened his own Ferrero's academy of tennis ? I think it was early for him.

Brettolius
02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
yeah, if liam's still around, he knows all about ferrero's academy, he's been. but haven't seen him for awhile, and i'd say we'd have definitely seen him with all this smack about jcf lately.

BatCode
02-14-2005, 02:15 PM
You wrote so long. May be he has power and strength to strike the ball as from gun ( in any case lighter than Roddick), may be when he is in good condition he may move well ( not so good, he was late always to a lot of balls as I watched his games from 2001), and so on..... But he lacks the main thing: the feel of the ball, understanding of tennis, in which point you have to be at that moment and etc.

This kind of players I call as gun-players. Similar Roddick. They are boxers on the court. More power, more strength - better.

Another story is genious Federer, Santoro, the same Coria, Moya...

You wouldn't by any chance be stalking Roger Federer would you?

Maybe you should spend less time watching him, and spend more watching other players. And don't worry, Roger did recieve your card on Valentines Day, he just threw it away.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 02:29 PM
No BatCode, Roger is a man as me. But I'm not sure about Ferrero, I saw he painted his hairs into blonde color. Did he ? May be he wanted to become nice for you?

BatCode
02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
No BatCode, Roger is a man as me. But I'm not sure about Ferrero, I saw he painted his hairs into blonde color. Did he ? May be he wanted to become nice for you?

Aykhan, have you ever considered "painting" your hair? maybe it might make you "become nice" for Roger...

As for the "Another story is genious Federer, Santoro, the same Coria, Moya..." comment. When talking about the 'genius' of players, you always seem to omit Lleyton Hewitt who's one of (if not the) smartest players on the tour.

ragnaROK
02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Well I hope he really does come back. Juan at his prime was a threat on both clay and hard courts. Aykhan if you don't consider yourself nothing but a Roger worshipper I don't what you are. So far no has been more to than a brainless basher than Roger. Lemme tell you I'm a big fan of Roger's but I'm also a fan of the game and I can appreciate other styles as well. Moya is a Dr. Feelgood? Gimme a break he would be more of a basher in your book than Ferrero.

Ferrero when he still Top 5 Material was another great player that gave Roger trouble. He had better results against Roger than Roddick did. Ferrero's quick, to me he's everything Coria ihas but with more sting off both wings. He's got monster forehand and a model backhand with lightning speed. Like someone else earlier mentioned he didn't get the nickname "Mosquito" for being a power baseliner. Only clay courter that gave him much trouble was Guga and you know very well how Guga gave Federer a taste of his own medicine in straights last year.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 04:58 PM
BatCode, about "become nice " I understood, better "become attractive". But I didn't understood yr remark about "painting hairs". What should I tell instead ? Change color of hairs, dye colors or what? I think u understood. I don't like mens who change the color of their hairs.

Regarding Hewitt, yes he has character, but I don't like his tennis much. He may 100 times hit accurately a ball over the net but fail to create something extraordinary in order to win the point. Of course, he is not boxer, but he is as a robot. Roger is not robot because his every strike differs from previous. Roger is a calculator and ballet-dancer.

Regarding Ferrero - to ragnaROK. Why do I need Ferrero? I have Safin similar to Ferrero, playing if not the same style, but in similar and better style, who is stronger physically than Ferrero and more talented. I don't see reasons why to take Ferrero into a consideration ?

ragnaROK
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Well, its not as fun if there's only one man to give Roger grief. Throw more into the mix and make him take his game even higher. Makes for more entertainment don't you think?

VictorS.
02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=!Tym] Why make life complicated, by stopping to THINK about it? QUOTE]

You know, this is so true, and I think it's a one of the absolute key ingredients to athletic success. The tunnel vision that guys like sampras, lendl, and now hewitt, agassi and federer had and have.....is what truly separates them from the rest of the pack. All the great champions have this tunnel vision I think. Even with a guy like Safin, his newfound success I think is really rooted in his new focus and single-mindedness.

When Agassi onto the scene, he was all about image and appearance. And now he's the complete opposite...totally focused on the match at hand.

BatCode
02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
BatCode, about "become nice " I understood, better "become attractive". But I didn't understood yr remark about "painting hairs". What should I tell instead ? Change color of hairs, dye colors or what? I think u understood. I don't like mens who change the color of their hairs.

Regarding Hewitt, yes he has character, but I don't like his tennis much. He may 100 times hit accurately a ball over the net but fail to create something extraordinary in order to win the point. Of course, he is not boxer, but he is as a robot. Roger is not robot because his every strike differs from previous. Roger is a calculator and ballet-dancer.

Regarding Ferrero - to ragnaROK. Why do I need Ferrero? I have Safin similar to Ferrero, playing if not the same style, but in similar and better style, who is stronger physically than Ferrero and more talented. I don't see reasons why to take Ferrero into a consideration ?

Go to a board where others can understand you, and you know what you are talking about. Hewitt has created some of the most extraordinary points in tennis and has produced a plethora of exceptional match wining shots, you truly have no-idea.

^J-Rod^
02-15-2005, 01:51 AM
""Another story is genious Federer, Santoro, the same Coria, Moya.."

Carlos Moya is my favourite player. he is an absolute champ, but if you think he is a genious, then I am afraid, you my friend are very stupid indeed.

Moya's one downfall are his brains. His inability to recognise major weakness in his backhand and spend large amounts of time practicing it already discredits your comment. Carlos could take a leaf from Roddick's book, spend some time improving your weaker wing for god's sake! His old ploy of running around his backhand is only pulled of when he plays flawless tennis (which is very rare). Even so, he struggles because players such as roger or even Garcia-Lopez, can exploit Carlos's stupidity.

Carlos does not practice nearly often enough, and his preparation for tournaments is one fo the laziest going around. His decision to constantly omit necessary warm up tournaments leaves me with no surprise when he packs up early from certain grand slams. Carlos always had the talent, unfortunately time has passed him by.

I only hope the Raphael can learn from the mistakes of his mentor.

rhubarb
02-15-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't like mens who change the color of their hairs.

I guess you never saw Roger with blond hair then ;) The phase hasn't quite passed; he was reportedly going to dye it red late last year, but Mirka stopped him.

I find it hard to believe you're serious when you liken Ferrero to both Safin and Roddick.

laurie
02-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Aykhan, you never really seem to have anything positive to say about other tennis players. I would like to know, which players have you enjoyed watching over the years and who do you enjoy watching these days?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-15-2005, 05:20 AM
^J-Rod^,

first of all for kids to say to adults "you are stupid" is a sign of lack of your good breeding, of your bad education. The next time tell the word " stupid" to your father and wait for his reaction.

In the second, the word genious concerns only Federer in my sentence, not others.

Finally, Moya was a champion of Roland Garos, so his career achievments are not so bad, at least not worse than Ferrero's. He earned more than 11 mln $.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Aykhan, you never really seem to have anything positive to say about other tennis players. I would like to know, which players have you enjoyed watching over the years and who do you enjoy watching these days?

It is not complete truth. What I said that from my opinion Fed is the most talented player I ever seen.

Bu I enjoy to watch matches with Coria, Moya, Santoro, Safin, now I started to like the game of Davidenko. Among girls I ilke watching matches with Davenport, Maleeva, Henin-Ardenne.

bismark
02-15-2005, 05:54 AM
^J-Rod^,

first of all for kids to say to adults "you are stupid" is a sign of lack of your good breeding, of your bad education. The next time tell the word " stupid" to your father and wait for his reaction.

Really? Do most kids in Azerbaijan have.....er.....good breeding? Just curious. And did you get yourself a nice tan in Brasil?

rhubarb
02-15-2005, 05:58 AM
He must be still in Brazil, isn't the tournament this week?