PDA

View Full Version : How does intramural tennis work at colleges? Particularly the UC's, if that matters?

AlphaCDjkr
11-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I realize I have started a similar thread asking about how college tennis works in general; however, that thread opened up a few more questions that have ultimately confused me some more as I tried researching them.

Let's say this year I apply, and make it into... UCLA (I hope...).
Now assuming I've made the move on campus already. What do I need to do to get involved in intramurals?

From what I've managed to look up online...
UCLA info 1 (http://www.recreation.ucla.edu/insidepage.aspx?uid=20b642ad-3a4b-4399-83d9-dbbfb770a692)
UCLA info 2 (http://www.recreation.ucla.edu/insidepage.aspx?uid=3f5f5fd4-a8ae-4c7a-a1e4-284ee60576da)

Apparently I need to associate myself with an existing team already? Or.. what? :confused:

I know it's maybe a bit too early for me to be thinking about this since I'm only a senior in HS and all, but I really want to know. Can anyone enlighten me?

My basic questions are...
What do I need to do? (Who should I talk to, Is anyone maybe going to contact me, etc..?)
How much time should I expect to contribute? (Is it advisable to even join an intramural team during your freshman year?)
Should I be aware of anything? (Certain registration forms, eligibility, deadlines, etc.)
Anything other relevant advice others with experience in college sports might want to offer me?

If these are too many questions, I apologize, however I am looking forward to college life and I definitely don't want to cut competitive tennis from it all.
Thanks! :)

rabidturtle
11-14-2008, 07:30 AM
I don't think they have leagues for Intramural tennis in college unless it is through tennis club/Tennis on Campus

What they are referring to are sports like football, soccer, ultimate frisbee, etc.
Sports that usually have multiple games that make up a "season" and I'm not talking about round robins.

Try looking for a UCLA tennis club on google or facebook
http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/clubtennis/

randomname
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I dont know about other schools but here intramural tennis is a joke, every now and then a good player will play just so they can get the free t shirt for winning. Anyone whose any good just plays club tennis.

Fedace
11-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Awsome, i just JOINED the club tennis at UCLA. i hope they have some hot chicks in there. i think you don't have to be student there, if i am not mistaken.

Joeyg
11-19-2008, 11:16 AM
You need to be a student to play club tennis, Dr. Fedace. You are full of .....

goober
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Awsome, i just JOINED the club tennis at UCLA. i hope they have some hot chicks in there. i think you don't have to be student there, if i am not mistaken.

Awesome, you are going to drive from San Diego to Westwood to play tennis? Sounds like a well conceived idea- only about a 2-3 hour drive depending on LA traffic.

Yes there will probably be some hot chicks there. Just check them out from your garage in Illinois (oops I mean San Diego). Better ask mom first though if its ok. Wouldn't want you to get in trouble or anything.

Fedace
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Awsome, i just got the email back, i am meeting the at UCLA this weekend....

Fedace
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Oh,,and i just have to make sure i don't tell them that i went to Stanford......LOL...

Joeyg
11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I always feel like the duck in the AFLAC commercials after reading one of the doctor's posts.

goober
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh,,and i just have to make sure i don't tell them that i went to Stanford......LOL...

Don't worry, I am sure that thought won't ever cross their mind.

If you want to get jiggy with the hot chicks there, tell them you like the way they smell after an intense tennis workout.

andfor
11-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Don't worry, I am sure that thought won't ever cross their mind.

If you want to get jiggy with the hot chicks there, tell them you like the way they smell after an intense tennis workout.

I'm now laughing so hard I have wipe tears from my eyes. Awesome.

Joeyg
11-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Me too!! This is now my second favorite thread.

MTChong
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Any real UCLA fan knows they hate USC. Stanford-Cal; UCLA-USC.

TourTenor
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM
The "Standford" Cardinal embossed cape and Alex Clayton mask that you wear 24/7 will have to go in the closet then.

socaltennnis
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
fedace, ive seen you play tennis... and you suck.

Fedace
11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
fedace, ive seen you play tennis... and you suck.

I can beat you with 2 hands tied to my back.....LOL:)

Joeyg
11-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Do you mean to say that Fedace isn't the "strong 5.0" he has claimed to be? I would think with strokes like his, the hot, smelly blondes would be all over him. I am sure you are mistaken about his playing abilities!

Fedace
11-20-2008, 07:57 AM
When i was at Stanford, the club tennis was encouraged by coach Gould. and he was a great help in getting things started. Ahhhhh,,,those were the good old days, i remember it like it was yesterday.....:):)

Joeyg
11-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Or tomorrow as the case may be...