PDA

View Full Version : Should i switch to the Tour-90?

kupo
03-30-2004, 09:31 PM
i'm a 5.0ish junior and ive been using an Yonex Mp-tour 1 90 for a long while. I'm very used to this, and have great results. I love heavy, headlight racquets. However, somehow i like the feel of the Tour-90 better in my hand, but the demo i was using had crappy strings. my mp-tour 1 has luxilon LTS in it. What im asking is, if i switch to a matched pair of Tour-90's(strung with luxilon) would it have any benifits to anything compared to the Mptour 1 i use now? Should i try to be Federer n buy this racquet or not!? lol :roll:

roundiesee
03-30-2004, 10:57 PM
You should try to demo the Tour 90 with the strings you like and then decide. Buying a matched pair based on just a single demo with crappy strings would be risky. You may end up not liking these rackets at all. Besides, you already seem to be pretty happy with your MP 1, so there really is no need to change imo.

BreakPoint
03-30-2004, 11:51 PM
You should never switch to a racquet just because some pro uses it. That would be a mistake. Just look at all the people that bought a Pure Drive because of Roddick and then, lo and behold, found they couldn't also hit a 150mph serve with it and then gave up on it.

I agree that you should demo the Tour 90 again more extensively with some better strings and compare it side by side with your MP-1 and then decide. If you've had great results with the MP-1, why not just stick with it? Remember that there's no such thing as a magic racquet that'll make you play like a pro just by switching to it. Good luck.

Radical Shot
03-31-2004, 02:47 PM
There are a few conservative people on this board. If you have the funds, go for it I say. If you have already had a good experience with it, and you're looking, buy one. If you really don't like it, then you can sell it. If not, keep it as a reminder of the time when you wanted to be Federer!!! That will make a great story later on in life when you have the grandkids around and they go ratting through your stuff and drag out this never-used Tour90 and ask, what's this all about?

Then you can say...."Well, once upon a time there was this great tennis player called Roger...."
________
toyota publica (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Publica)

lendl lives
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
kupo,
I am in the same situation. I have an mp1, pd+, and a friends wilson tour 90. The tour 90 feels great in my hands as well!! It plays a lot like he 85 but with a bigger sweet spot and more power!! did sampras switch to the tour 90?) I haven't been able to hit out too much with it due to a rib injury. But its funny because we both have the same thought process (right or wrong). I like the control of the wilson and especially the feel on the back hand slice. However I like the feel of the yonex more on my two handed backhand drive. Still I like the power of the pd+ on my serve and ground strokes. One thing I've been picking up on being hurt and serving at 1/5 capacity is how important placement is. i can still win games serving slow if i mix it up and place it right. boy am i confused. maybe bungalo can help. bungalo!!!!

roundiesee
03-31-2004, 11:14 PM
It's very obvious to me that both kupo and lendl lives are very good players and definitely can handle more than one type of racket. Whatever the 2 of you decide, all the best, and let's hope that you make the right choice! :-)

lendl lives
04-01-2004, 10:04 AM
rundiesee thanks for the good vibes. what's your weapon of choice? kupo what are u going to do?

kupo
04-03-2004, 06:11 PM
i decided that i'm going to demo the tour-90 again BUT ALSO the new RDX 500 mid size from yonex. I'll see if i like this version better than my mp-tour 1 90. by the way, does anybody know when this racquet will be availiable to demo from Tennis Warehouse?