PDA

View Full Version : Handedness

raftermania
02-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Are you left-handed or right-handed? Something like 10% of the world population is left-handed, let's see what the ratio is like here.

tennisnj
02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
ambidextrous, but naturally left handed.

Brettolius
02-14-2005, 12:43 PM
righty tighty, lefty loosey

raftermania
02-14-2005, 03:02 PM
ambidextrous, but naturally left handed.

I don't quite get amidextrosity (new word I made?), does this mean you can play well with both hands, but better with another? Whereas with non-amidextrous people, crappy with one and well with another?

Or is it the case where you are dominant in certain activities with your right hand and other activities with your left? In hockey and golf, I shoot right - I also cut scissors with my right hand. But in nearly everything else I use my left hand.

Explanation???

rhubarb
02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Or is it the case where you are dominant in certain activities with your right hand and other activities with your left? In hockey and golf, I shoot right - I also cut scissors with my right hand. But in nearly everything else I use my left hand.

I also play all racket sports with my left hand and write with that hand too. Like you though I would use scissors with my right, and for my computer mouse (which frankly gets a lot more use than my writing hand nowadays!). For some things I couldn't tell you whether I use my right or left, such as picking up a glass, without actually reminding myself by doing the action itself.

For me, the right-handedness (e.g. with scissors) has been due to necessity. Left-handed tools weren't available when I was learning such skills, so I had to adapt to use the other hand. Where I've been able to make a gut choice without equipment problems, such as which hand to hold a racket in, it seems I've always gone for the left.

Of course, other peoples' mileage will vary, partly due to how extreme their handedness is.

BTW When doing a quick check a few months ago, I found approximately 10 of the top 100 men are left-handed, although only one in the top 30. There certainly seemed to be a higher proporption of left-handers at the top of the game in previous decades though.

tennisnj
02-14-2005, 07:29 PM
In tennis, I can serve & play well from both sides. However, my strongest game is actually 2 handed groundstrokes on both sides, & a righty serve. (Yet I am naturally left handed). I have odd dominance tendencies b/c I throw left, but bat righty, my dominant kicking foot is my right, I write better w/my left, play hockey righthanded, the list would go on & on w/no clear dominance to the left or right side.

dAgEnIuS
02-14-2005, 07:36 PM
wow, a lot of lefties so far....

raftermania
02-14-2005, 07:49 PM
In tennis, I can serve & play well from both sides. However, my strongest game is actually 2 handed groundstrokes on both sides, & a righty serve. (Yet I am naturally left handed). I have odd dominance tendencies b/c I throw left, but bat righty, my dominant kicking foot is my right, I write better w/my left, play hockey righthanded, the list would go on & on w/no clear dominance to the left or right side.

That's pretty intense! I'm sure you cause problems for your opponents on court. What is your parent's opinion on this? Did they watch it happen or did they have an impact on your strange... ambidextrosity?

VamosRafa
02-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Look at this,

Rafael Nadal plays tennis left-handed (just consider that forehand), but he's right-handed.

Here ya go, re golf:

http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/15898072-M.jpg

tennisnj
02-14-2005, 09:11 PM
All throughout HS & College, opponents would come up to me afterwards & say "which one is your backhand", so I knew they were nonplussed from the minute they started the warmup. When I was first starting to play, my dad couldn't get me to hit left handed, which was my 'natural' side to hit from. The guy he was working with, teaching me tennis, suggested hitting from the right side, except two handed, & that for some reason worked. So now when I play, I think nothing of switching hands in the middle of a point to reach for a ball.

raftermania
02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Look at this,

Rafael Nadal plays tennis left-handed (just consider that forehand), but he's right-handed.

Here ya go, re golf:

Yeah Rhubarb and myself it would sound like also play golf right handed.

What else can you tell us about Nadal's handedness? Does he write with his right hand or left?

Cuzza
02-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Right hander here...

rhubarb
02-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Martina Navratilova is a rightie but plays with her left. Carlos Moya is the other way around, apparently.

Yes, I've only ever tried golf once and it was more comfortable playing right-handed (well, part of that was that I was using right-handed clubs!). But turning the opposite way and having hands the other way around, i.e. in a lefty configuration, felt really wierd.

Ben42
02-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Left handed, but right footed. When I used to golf I played lefty, and I play guitar lefty too.

antontd
02-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Look at this,

Here ya go, re golf:

true.

Moya only plays tennis with the right arm, but he is left-handed. he writes with the left.

VamosRafa
02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah Rhubarb and myself it would sound like also play golf right handed.

What else can you tell us about Nadal's handedness? Does he write with his right hand or left?

Writes with his right hand.

Just as his mentor, Carlos Moya, plays tennis right-handed, but writes with his left hand.

Something about the Mallorcan men.

But here's a cute thing.

The Spanish tennis players' band here. Note that only Lopez is playing his "tennis guitar" left-handed. He must be a true lefty. Even Verdasco is doing it right-handed -- although out of all those guys, only Moya plays tennis right-handed, and he actually is left-handed. Got it? *lol*

http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/15747048-L.jpg

Metzler
02-15-2005, 09:34 PM
The great Rosewall was a lefthander forced to play righthanded by his father. He actually had a fast lefty serve, would have been interesting to see how he would have played had he been allowed to deveop naturally.

raftermania
02-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Damn coercive parents!!! Rosewall would have been a Laver if he was able to play like a natural lefty.

That's a cute pic vamosrafa and an interesting tidbit about Moya's handedness - I didn't know that!

VamosRafa
02-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Yep, I actually asked Moya about it. Here's the bit from a press conference at TMS Master Houston in 2003:

From Asap:

Q. You are left-handed but you play right-handed. Did you ever play left-handed?

CARLOS MOYA: No. Well, when I was a kid, I broke my right arm, so I tried to play my left. But I wasn't very good (smiling).

Q. It's interesting. Rafael Nadal is the opposite. He's right-handed, plays left-handed. I was wondering if that was a Mallorcan trait?

CARLOS MOYA: Yeah, maybe. But I don't know any other one doing that. Maybe we are the only two.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003masterscup/111103CM.html

And when I was the US Open, Rafa did an interview in Spanish. I was there, but my Spanish isn't good enough to ask questions.

But a Spanish reporter asked Rafa, on my behalf, if he's always served left-handed.

And he responded that he's always has served left-handed, although he played two-handed off both sides for many years.

He was very animated during the interview. I didn't understand most of it, with the rapid-fire Spanish between him and the Spanish press, but Rafa even demonstrated his left-handed serve.

In any event, at some point, Rafa and his uncle made a decision that Rafa should have a one-handed, left-hand forehand, and he switched to that.

I already knew about that, as he's been doing that for years. I just wanted to confirm how long he's been serving left-handed.

Given that he plays golf right-handed, etc.

ShooterMcMarco
02-15-2005, 10:57 PM
true.

Moya only plays tennis with the right arm, but he is left-handed. he writes with the left.

i guess me and carlos have something in common, because i am like that too. i write with my left hand, but i play right-handed in tennis and shoot with my right hand in basketball. a lot of people that i say that too find it the weirdest thing ever.

danniflava
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I serve and hit my smashes with my left hand. My forehand and backhand are right-handed. I do everything else with my left hand, besides writing and eating.

Dedans Penthouse
02-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Something about the Mallorcan men.
It's: "There's something about an Aqua Velva man?"
Mallorcan MEN?!! That pix looked like a promo shot for a Mallorcan version of the movie "TWO MEN AND A BABY!"

But here's a cute thing.

The Spanish tennis players' band here. Note that only Lopez is playing his "tennis guitar" left-handed. He must be a true lefty. Even Verdasco is doing it right-handed -- although out of all those guys, only Moya plays tennis right-handed, and he actually is left-handed. Got it? *lol*

Note the "left thumb" position of Moya--almost correct. Good job Carlos. As to the lefty turned righty, Nadal is almost "there" except his left thumb is too "flatted" along the "guitar neck." Lopez?....Lopez should take up the drums. He's clueless.

Susan (on a serious note): would you or anyone you know KNOW whether or not Rafael Nadal is actually playing with the "new" Babolat AeroPro, or is it a Pure Drive with AeroPro cosmetics (a paint job)? thx.

Phil
02-16-2005, 06:05 PM

Someone call an exterminator...rodents. Everywhere.

david aames
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
He does play with the AeroPro Drive. 4 1/4 grip... (source: Tom Martinez. He strung his racquets at the '04 USO)

It's very unlikely that you will see PJs of the Aeropro. The throat design is really too particular.

Oh and less Barbara more Rafa from now on, that will teach you. Or alternatively, come over to the pro players' gear section where all the babes hang out (not really but at least no Susan in sight there ; )

Susan (on a serious note): would you or anyone you know KNOW whether or not Rafael Nadal is actually playing with the "new" Babolat AeroPro, or is it a Pure Drive with AeroPro cosmetics (a paint job)? thx.

Dedans Penthouse
02-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Phil: chuckling as I read that....."rodents everywhere!" .... lol!
Are the yellow stripes on the AeroProDrive painted or is that pretified and laminated-over Velveeta?
A few suggestions from the venerable VICTOR line of beady-eyed eliminators:
1. Victor "Quick Set" (Model M130). Traps but rodent can be released by squeezing trap.
2. Victor "Quick Kill" (now we're getting somewhere! Model M140): Kills instantly with a STEEL BAR!
3. Victor "The Blackhole" (you gotta love it-just by it's name!!). Kills by choking with a STEEL CABLE. A STEEL CABLE?!! It's a widdle, biddy mouse for Crissake! Talk about breaking eggshells with sledgehammers! Holy Capital Punishment, Batman!...who's marketing these, Geo. W's Texas Penal Cronies?! I mean, this here thing chokes Mickey, Minny (and Raffy?) with a STEEL CABLE??! Good grief, they should've called this one the Victor "Goodfellas!"
And for the modern world executioner of today, Victor also offers a fine "contemporary" line of HUMANE glue traps and "Hi-Tech" electronic devices......but, when it comes to Rodents, forget the electronic "buzz boxes" -- I'm strickly "old school."

david aames: How's my photo gallery of my "main squeeze" Babs Schett doing? Btw, on her site (I think it's Barbara-Schett.net), in the "Photo Gallery" section (in the modeling/advertising sub-section), there is this one photo of a reclining Babs in a GREY Lady Hanes "matching underwear ensamble" .... with Babs "vogueing" the camera the coldest, most austere "I VILL break your heart in a Neu Yook minute" look you'd ever want to see.

It's is both heartbreaking, breathtaking (and mouthwatering). Even though Queenie Babs has a set of teeth you couldn't get a horse's bit into, that pic is BY FAR (imho) better than anything I've seen from Anna, et al (just talking about "on film"). Stunning!

david aames
02-17-2005, 12:07 PM
I hear she has poor taste in men and treat them badly.
This is the proof right there:

http://www.barbara-schett.net/offcourt68.jpg

Btw, on her site (I think it's Barbara-Schett.net), in the "Photo Gallery" section (in the modeling/advertising sub-section), there is this one photo of a reclining Babs in a GREY Lady Hanes "matching underwear ensamble" .... with Babs "vogueing" the camera the coldest, most austere "I VILL break your heart in a Neu Yook minute" look you'd ever want to see.

It's is both heartbreaking, breathtaking (and mouthwatering). Even though Queenie Babs has a set of teeth you couldn't get a horse's bit into, that pic is BY FAR (imho) better than anything I've seen from Anna, et al (just talking about "on film"). Stunning!

Dedans Penthouse
02-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Yikes, she had a bad "face day" in that pic with Fred Flintstone. I'd still take her (along with her "Pebbles and Bam-Bams" ) over Wilma any day 'o the week.

Brettolius
02-17-2005, 12:31 PM
i hear she can eat corn on the cob through a picket fence. again, i wouldn't kick her outta bed for eating mini vienna sausages ON crackers.

Dedans Penthouse
02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
i hear she can eat corn on the cob through a picket fence. again, i wouldn't kick her outta bed for eating mini vienna sausages ON crackers.

BrettoliusMaximusStudlyness: That's the 2nd time this week you've made mention of those lil' (Vienna) weeners....then again, the Babster IS Austrian.

Brettolius
02-17-2005, 01:25 PM
well, phil brought 'em up, and in better detail i might add. i only thought it was fitting...

VamosRafa
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM

I have read your comments with interest. I have copied them, and sent them to Babolat's North American director. If nothing else, he'll want to know your concerns.

Until this post, I had never heard an allegation that it was a "paint job." Nice that you have confirmed that it isn't a paint job. Good information for our website. :D

But shame on you, David. *lol* I always go over to the "raquets and stringing" section when someone on our site asks about Rafa's strings.

And everyone there is always very helpful and professional in their responses. And I thank you for that.

Susan

PS: As for the "rodents" comments, very interesting. Most females hate "rodents," but I'm not sure that those "rodents" would send women running for cover. Probably just the opposite -- the "rodents" would be running for cover from the women. *lol*

Phil
02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Yikes, she had a bad "face day" in that pic with Fred Flintstone. I'd still take her (along with her "Pebbles and Bam-Bams" ) over Wilma any day 'o the week.

Maybe, but Betty Rubble is pretty hot...it'd be a toss up between her and Babs, I think.

Brettolius - You know, Vienna sausages ON crackers sounds like it might make a fine snack-something for watching football games-just as long as there's plenty of beer to wash the stuff down.

VamosRafa
02-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I could start a new thread on this, but I won't, until we make sure we have all our facts straight.

But this thread mentions Nadal, with his handedness, and such.

But I've been watching scores, and we got a score that showed he had beaten Calleri in Brasil in the quarters, 6-2, 6-3,

Sounds great, no surprise, I'm updating the vamosrafael.com website with the score.

And then later, I see they are going into a tiebreak. What the . . .

In any event, I called the Brasil site, and as is typical at most events, they have someone on hand who speaks good English. In fact, I tried to speak some Spanish, and he told, me "please speak English."

So I did, and he did. But what he told me, if this is true, is that Nadal had two matchpoints in the second set, and he won the first one. (Which is the livescore we got). But Rafa conceded that the ball was in, afer Calleri contested it. The point was replayed.

And it turned out that Rafa not only lost the point, but lost the set.

But he won the match later on.

I'm not worried about a spoiler, as I don't think the match was shown outside of Brazil.

But if you have TTC, the semis and final will be shown there, live I think. Have to check on it.

But the point of my post was to let you you that, from what I heard, Rafa has shown some sportsmanship, along with his vamos'es and such.

Tenny
02-18-2005, 12:37 AM
(source: Tom Martinez. He strung his racquets at the '04 USO)

Whoa~
I've bought a racquet from Mike J. Mike bought it from Tom M. Tom strung Nadal's racquet. After all, it's a small world!

BTW, I am righty but I think I was born lefty (Still I do everything righty way). Anyway, it (my partial leftiness) helps my guitar playing, I believe.

Tenny.

Kaptain Karl
02-18-2005, 12:51 AM
When I was 20 I wrecked my shoulder ... and already had a full slate of lessons to teach for the summer. So I taught tennis left-handed ... and got pretty good at it. (Even serving was ... acceptable.) I don't think I could do it today.

I had a teaching colleague who was truly ambidextrous -- even though he definitely preferred his Right in tennis. (This was back when the Gullikson twins were one of the best doubles teams in Pro tennis, so people were used to the Righty/Lefty look.)

My friend, John, managed to convine more than a few people he was twins. He'd go behind the screen at the indoor courts as a Righty, and come out as a Lefty. It was a *hoot* to watch the confused looks on the other side of the net...!

- KK

winks
02-18-2005, 10:30 AM
...Yet I am naturally left handed)....play hockey righthanded,...

I actually think "righty" in hockey could really be called lefty.

I am a natural lefty who plays righty (or in french droit?) hockey, and as you might expect if there was a mislabel, most people are "lefty" hockey.

raftermania
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
I could start a new thread on this, but I won't, until we make sure we have all our facts straight.

But this thread mentions Nadal, with his handedness, and such.

But I've been watching scores, and we got a score that showed he had beaten Calleri in Brasil in the quarters, 6-2, 6-3,

Sounds great, no surprise, I'm updating the vamosrafael.com website with the score.

And then later, I see they are going into a tiebreak. What the . . .

In any event, I called the Brasil site, and as is typical at most events, they have someone on hand who speaks good English. In fact, I tried to speak some Spanish, and he told, me "please speak English."

So I did, and he did. But what he told me, if this is true, is that Nadal had two matchpoints in the second set, and he won the first one. (Which is the livescore we got). But Rafa conceded that the ball was in, afer Calleri contested it. The point was replayed.

And it turned out that Rafa not only lost the point, but lost the set.

But he won the match later on.

I'm not worried about a spoiler, as I don't think the match was shown outside of Brazil.

But if you have TTC, the semis and final will be shown there, live I think. Have to check on it.

But the point of my post was to let you you that, from what I heard, Rafa has shown some sportsmanship, along with his vamos'es and such.

Wow that's pretty humble, when was the last time since somebody tried to concede a matchpoint??? The last one I can remember was Magnus Norman in 1999 or 2000?

K!ck5w3rvE
02-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Right handed.

VamosRafa
02-20-2005, 04:08 AM
Wow that's pretty humble, when was the last time since somebody tried to concede a matchpoint??? The last one I can remember was Magnus Norman in 1999 or 2000?

Yeah, he was humble there.

And he did the right thing. He wants to win fair and square.

But don't get him wrong, he's very ambitious.

After winning Brasil, he acknowledged the accomplishment, but said it was part of his goal for this year.

Gotta admire his sportsmanship, but also his determination. *lol*:

"I am very happy about this second ATP title. It gives me a lot of confidence and tells me that I am doing the right things. I wanted to get a certain number of points during this clay swing and I have achieved this goal. It is a good start that puts me in a good position for what I have planned for the year."

"Now it is time for Acapulco but I really had a great time here in Latin America."

"Acapulco is the biggest of the four events of the Latin American swing, with the highest amount of points, so hopefully I can win a lot of them."

The Pusher Terminator
02-20-2005, 04:39 AM
What about ambidextros?

Kaptain Karl
02-20-2005, 06:56 AM
What about ambidextros?Cool! Is that you? Or are you just asking?

If it is you, do you find one side is still better than others? How about your Left serve being better flat ... and your Right serve being better for slice?

(Never seen that last one. Just asking....)

- KK

tennisnj
02-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Earlier in this post I commented about my ambidexterity. Technically speaking I am an "ambidextrous lefty" but play 2 handed on both sides, but developed a 1 handed lefty shot which is a terrific weapon, especially in doubles, where I'm constantly switching racquet hands even while playing the net. But for some crazy reason, my righthanded serve much, much better then my left. This is even after years & years of equal practice on both sides.

raftermania
02-20-2005, 11:14 AM
tennisnj, if there were a tennis freak show contest, I'm sure you'd win first prize. :)

tennisnj
02-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks, I appreciate that. And people wonder why I swear by books such as "Winning Ugly".

tom-selleck
03-20-2005, 07:57 AM
suppose i'm left handed as i write and throw lefthanded.

but i play with both hands in tennis.... serve lefty, groundstrokes and everything else righty.... might be something i should "waste" a full season and switch to lefty full-time.

lefties are funny as we learn so much right handed stuff (door handles, scissors) at young age.... so i think lefties are relatively proficient from both sides, although ambidextrous suggests that you can do well from both sides, which i think is rare.

switching sports, but i understand phil mickelson is naturally right handed.... how did he get left-handed? hand-me-down clubs from dad??? usually the other way around - lefties have to play right handed due to lack of equipment.

strange in canada with so many hockey players... i'd say many more lefthanded hockey players than RH, but opposite in golf, would have thought it's similar motion???

aj_m2009
03-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Naturally right-handed but I am trying to learn golf left-handed 'cause I have a 2hbh and have issues golfing righty

Ronaldo
03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Write lefty, but play tennis right-handed mainly due to serving. Can play left-handed but not serve, YET. Watched a guy serve and hit from both sides but never played a game. Said keeping score ruined his game and he wasn't having that. Another player served RH, then played LH but to freak us out would serve LH in the ad court. Can golf both ways, according to what clubs are available.

snowpuppy
03-20-2005, 09:39 AM
write left, eat left, bat left, racquet sports left. Throwing, strenght required activities, dribing, shooting right.

go_nadal
06-28-2005, 11:49 PM
well i play tennis left handed, write left handed but i play golf hockey ect with my right but i belive i do this because its exactly like my backhand in tennis!!! i also kick right footed and cut scissors left play guitar left...

urban
06-29-2005, 12:51 AM
There was once in the fifties an American woman player named Beverly Fleitz Baker, who played only forehands, on the right side with her right, on the left side with her left. That would be the real postmodern style.

go_nadal
06-29-2005, 12:58 AM
there was this lad about 30 at a recent tourney at my club who played double handed both side with huge amounts of slice but could also hit one hand either side!!! i think he came runner up in open so he wasnt that bad!! very entertainin to watch

westside
06-29-2005, 01:25 AM
My right is definately my stronger arm