PDA

View Full Version : lost today....

iradical18
03-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I play high school tennis, today i lost my match against 2 very mediocre players in a 3rd set tiebreak, during the 3rd set, i hit my racquet on the ground and broke the frame, thankfully it was my backup prince TT Warrior, not my I.radical, but anyway, i need to find out some techniques to keep my calm during the game, that way i dont make stupid unforced errors and lose the match, which is what i did today, can anyone give me some tips?

brijoel
03-30-2004, 10:39 PM
i really just try to pretend that i'm basically playing a wall. why? well... how often do you get ****ed off when you are hitting against a wall? lol, i know i never do. once you get used to just getting into a groove and playing YOUR style you will naturally calm down. force your style of play during the match, stick to your guns and what normally works. if he wants to try to change it up, just keep on the road, and then he will end up being the one frustrated and slamming his racquet.

always keep in mind your opponent has the same oppurtunities to get frustrated. exploit them.

Anonymous
03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
A couple ways to stay calm is to keep playing your game and..
1. channel your emotion into the shots
2. scream into a towel or something, just to get it out..don't do this too often though

Ace
03-31-2004, 11:26 AM
I used to get really ****ed of at myself which almost always was the cause of my losing. It was just a spiral, the more ****ed I got the crappier I played because I couldn't concentrate.

Well, as it turns out, I got so used to losing, that it doesn't bother me to lose anymore, so I don't get as ****ed, and therefore I don't lose as much.

:lol:

kevhen
03-31-2004, 01:51 PM
I respect my racquet foremost and never abuse it. I yell sometimes in frustration, but never ever abuse my racquet, since it's me making the mistakes and not my racquet's fault. Accept responsibility and then channel your energy back into the game or into some "Come ons" to get yourself going and playing your best. Treat your racquet like it were a baby once the point is over.

VTL
03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Practice, devote your entire life to tennis... throw away meaningless distractions such as family, friends, religion, and pets. Travel all around the world looking for knowledge and strength. Defeat any enemies that challenge you and befriend allies that wish to follow you along your journey. Once you've learned the meaning of the fight, you will no longer have to worry about losing your cool in a highschool match and you can return to your normal life (unless you don't want to).

Or you could just practice.

Cypo
03-31-2004, 09:46 PM
nice irony VTL

Give yourself something constructive to focus on. Don't focus on the anger itself and trying to control that, but channel that energy into something you can do, e.g. say to yourself, I'm going to lob the next return over the netman, or I'm going to hit every rally shot crosscourt and behind the service line, whatever fits the situation (those will fit most one-up one back doubles games). Don't let the anger/frustration distract you from what you're doing.

Phil
03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
Why is it that in all these "loser" posts (and there have been quite a few of them on this and the old-style board), the poster has just lost to a "mediocre" player? It always seems that they're much BETTER than their VICTORIOUS opponent-better shots, more power, a better serve, etc. It was the VICTOR who opted to play a cowardly pushing game, and hence, betray his lack of manliness (but superior patience and tactical skills).

Wake-up, Kid. You were, like a lot of beginning competitive players, taken by the oldest con in the book. The Pusher will make you believe that you're better than he is, doesn't CARE what you believe, because he's racked up yet ANOTHER win over yet ANOTHER sucker. You have to respect their game for what it is before you can beat them. You go in there with contempt and arrogance, and you will lose, again and again. I know-I used to lose to these guys. Not now. Their game is as viable as anyone's. An old expression goes like this: "Show me a pusher and I'll show you a room full of trophies." Get it? And another thing-smashing the racquet...these guys LIVE to see that because that is when they KNOW they've won the match-regardless of what the score is when you bust up your stick. You've just given away the match.

brijoel
04-01-2004, 12:06 AM
just a note......i didnt see anything about these people he lost to being pushers. just because someone is a mediocre player, doesnt automatically dictate them to be a pusher. surely you've lost to someone who probably wasnt as good as you. you may have even beaten them on a regular basis before. ***** happens.....one day you might not be on your game and begin to lose to the person you normally beat. i know i used to get ****ed about that kind of stuff.

being such a fan of sayings, surely you've heard,"when you assume, you make an *** out of you and me."

on topic, ACE actually hit this on the nose without even realising it i think. the more match experience you get against a variety of players, better or worse than you, you will learn to take the bad with the good. my suggestion would be to play these people again and try to figure out exactly what it is you are doing wrong against them and try to cut that down. for instance, they hit hard to a weak backhand repeatedly and you end up shanking a few. let's say your forehand is a little stronger. see if you cant get around your backhand and hit an inside out forehand to force them into hitting to your strengths.

Cypo
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Aces advice is double edged sword. That's been my experience anyway. If you don't have trouble with losing, you can lose that drive which you need to win. As always, you need to find a middle ground I guess.