PDA

View Full Version : will i get in anywhere???? HELP

tommymac_16
11-17-2008, 09:58 AM
ok lets start from the top....
i am english, live in britain but have always wanted to play tennis and go to college in america...i am 17 and male.

I first started tennis when i was around 3 years old and played on and off until i was 11. I stopped at this point played soccer until injury forced me to retire...i took up tennis aged 16 with a friend and have played 4x a week since then..overall i have played 14months and clock up around 10-12 hours a week.

Right. I had 2 lessons with my coach and he said i had lots of natural potential, i worked on my game for 2 months and in that time i applied for a rating and beat some 8.2s equivalent to your 3.0 in america. In my first tournament i reached the consolation draw final after losing to a 7.1(3.5 in usa) in the 1st round, but beat a 7.2(3.5 in usa) in the consolation quarter- and semi-finals draw. After this tournament i moved up to 1526 in the country because it was a tier 2 tournament...in my 2nd tournament 5 months later i lost in the semi finals of the main draw to some1 ranked in the top 500 in the country. My final ranking after this was inside the top 1000 after playing only 3 tournamnents. After this i was unable to carry on due to my DOB. However i finished with a rating of 9.2(2.5 in usa) which isnt very good but my new coach says i play to standard of at least 6.2(4.0 in USA).

At the moment i currently play in a mens league within the county, the standard of this is about 8.1(3.0 in usa) and i went 14-2 losing to the same player 2x.

Based on this information does anyone believe i would have a chance of playing for a D2 or D3 team? :confused:

i know it is very long but it would be improtant to get all the information down.

BigBUBBA
11-17-2008, 10:25 AM
d3...maybe. you could prolly get on the team for a weaker d2, but not for scolarship. and d3 do not give athletic scholarships

Gemini
11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
It's going to be pretty tough without some definitive tournament results. League play is good but most coaches tend to look at individual tournament results moreso.

Also, most high level college players are playing at a 5.5+ level. Those are usually D1 and D2 schools. You get some high level players at the D3 level but they are fewer. I think a D3 school might be your best bet if you're looking to play college tennis here in the U.S.

Besides, there are a number of really good D3 programs here in the U.S. that can compete with the D1 schools. Emory University here in Atlanta, GA has a great men's program but once again it's all about results.

tommymac_16
11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
thanks for the replies all:)

JLyon
11-17-2008, 12:02 PM
You should look at paying your way at a JUCO for 1-2 years and try to work a scholarship that way. With men the numbers are limited anyways, but JUCO might be a good option and cheaper than a four year school.

srvnvoley
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Check out this school. Middle of the range DIII team but plays some good competition. www.gborocollege.edu it is Greensboro College in North Carolina.

10isDad
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
^^^ Dead link. It's now:

http://www.greensborocollegesports.com/index.aspx?tab=tennis&path=mten

lilxjohnyy
11-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Gemini- is Emory team good? my sister got in there and im interested in possibly going there as well. Would try to tryout but i dont have a ranking.

kctennis1005
11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
theyre team is good.......d1 level team that plays d3

tommymac_16
11-18-2008, 02:11 AM
what is the average rating of the players at emory?:evil:

10isDad
11-18-2008, 03:15 AM
No offense tommymac, but there's no way for us to know the players ratings - as well as no reason to know.

Again, no offense, but if you "always wanted to play tennis and go to college in America", why did you start so late.

If a coach can't actually see a player play, he's first and foremost going to be looking at their USTA or ITF ranking. A coach isn't going to really care what your rating is, especially here in the states since people self-rate (juniors tend to over-rate / adult league players tend to under-rate).

If you're still young enough, you need to get into some ITF junior events and establish your ranking. Chances are pretty slim you'd be able to raise your ITF ranking high enough in time since you're already 17.

As for Lilxjohnyy - Emory is the #2 ranked mens' team in DIII. If you have no ranking, you probably have very little chance. Maybe they'll hold an open tryout for walk-ons, but even then...

jrod
11-18-2008, 03:49 AM
My son is 13 and is going into high school next year. In order to make the varsity team, he has to play at a solid 4.0 level. The top player on the HS team I believe is ranked #1 in New England and probably plays at a 5.0 level. He is definitely D1 material. I know of another junior who plays for a D1 school, Quinnipiac Univ. He was ranked in the top 10 throughout HS in New England before entering college. I believe he is also playing at a 5.0 level, minimum. I've play against a D3 player in the summer (played for Bentley College before graduating last year) and he is a 4.5 player. So these data points suggest that to qualify your game will likely have to be better than 4.5 and at least 5.0 for D1, maybe 5.5.

AndrewD
11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Based on this information does anyone believe i would have a chance of playing for a D2 or D3 team? :confused:

Not unless they were absolutely desperate and not particularly good. You'd have to pay your own way to study in the States (not going to get a scholarship with your results) and try to secure a spot as a walk-on. Even then you couldn't be assured of a start.

Main thing is, are you honestly willing to get your education (and pay for it) at what could be a lesser institution just because they might allow you to play tennis for them?

Kal-El 34
11-20-2008, 05:41 AM
you need to make a video of a match and send it out. You may be able to get some money at an NAIA school and play. I know some guys from my area that did it and honestly, they weren't very good... Just depends where in the states you want to end up

Gemini
11-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Gemini- is Emory team good? my sister got in there and im interested in possibly going there as well. Would try to tryout but i dont have a ranking.

As mentioned, Emory U. is very good for a D3 team. The men have one the NCAA title a couple time in the last few years I believe. It's going to be competitive to get a spot on the roster, but with the school being D3 there are no scholarship players on the team. The chances of "walking-on" are a lot greater in that case but you still have to bring the right level of game if you expect any playing time.

eeytennis
11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
D2 or D3 definitely. Talk to the coaches of the schools that you are looking at. There are D2 and D3 schools that might not take you being only at a 3.0-3.5 rating, but there are definitely schools who would have you on your team as well. D2 is an even better deal because you might even get some money (depending on the school you choose).

Good luck!

Rickson
11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately, tennis isn't the most popular sport in the US so save some cash and pay for it out of pocket.

OleNole
11-20-2008, 11:29 AM
To the OP, I agree with JLyon that your best option is probably to look for a junior college where you can play for two years, develop your game, and then transfer to a university. You might want to look for jucos in the area near the 4-year colleges/universities you are interested in.

Re: the Emory Men's Team

A little time on tennisrecruiting turned up their 2008 recruiting class. That's right, even though they're D3, they have recruits, because they are one of the best D3's in the country.

http://tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=788

It looks like they pretty consistently get 4 and 5 star recruits, so I'd say your chances of making the team are slim to none. Perhaps look into other opportunities to play tennis when you visit campus. Ask about intramurals and club tennis.

baseline08thrasher
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Give Us A Video.

We Need To See Your Strokes.

Hello? =] :)

mozzer
12-29-2008, 09:17 AM
No way is 7.2 a 3.5. From videos i have seen 3.5 is quite poor but a 7.2 is a high standard. I would say more a 4.0 or 4.5 :/

Tofi
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
No way is 7.2 a 3.5. From videos i have seen 3.5 is quite poor but a 7.2 is a high standard. I would say more a 4.0 or 4.5 :/

true i was tihknig about that and on the usta website it says :

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents. You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

Morrowreze
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Are you looking for a scholarship? Many people have mentioned it but you haven't.

Alexio92
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM

It varies to be honest, a lot on where you come from and how many tournaments you have played because you can improve way faster than your rating will go up. It also depends on how old you are because a 7.2 in a lower age group is likely to lose to a 8.2 in a higher age group simply because they hit the ball so much harder and in under 18's its almost impossible to jump sometimes because you just dont encounter enough people of your actual ability who are rated correctly to get enough wins to go up. Especially if you live in a county where there is noone your rating who will actually play a matchplay or hardly plays tournaments. The big difference between the uk ratings and american is that in the uk they actually matter for juniors and rankings dont count at all.

samfordfan14
12-30-2008, 07:53 AM
well you might get in a weak d3 school of course there is a division below that called NAIA so u might want to consider that. Auburn University Montgomery (AUM) is very good in that division u should consider that because i think they give athletic scholarships but i could be wrong.

nickynu
01-28-2009, 05:10 AM
ths thread is useless without a video of you hitting - get it on and people can give you a fair answer

slicekick95
01-28-2009, 05:28 AM
ok lets start from the top....
i am english, live in britain but have always wanted to play tennis and go to college in america...i am 17 and male.

I first started tennis when i was around 3 years old and played on and off until i was 11. I stopped at this point played soccer until injury forced me to retire...i took up tennis aged 16 with a friend and have played 4x a week since then..overall i have played 14months and clock up around 10-12 hours a week.

Right. I had 2 lessons with my coach and he said i had lots of natural potential, i worked on my game for 2 months and in that time i applied for a rating and beat some 8.2s equivalent to your 3.0 in america. In my first tournament i reached the consolation draw final after losing to a 7.1(3.5 in usa) in the 1st round, but beat a 7.2(3.5 in usa) in the consolation quarter- and semi-finals draw. After this tournament i moved up to 1526 in the country because it was a tier 2 tournament...in my 2nd tournament 5 months later i lost in the semi finals of the main draw to some1 ranked in the top 500 in the country. My final ranking after this was inside the top 1000 after playing only 3 tournamnents. After this i was unable to carry on due to my DOB. However i finished with a rating of 9.2(2.5 in usa) which isnt very good but my new coach says i play to standard of at least 6.2(4.0 in USA).

At the moment i currently play in a mens league within the county, the standard of this is about 8.1(3.0 in usa) and i went 14-2 losing to the same player 2x.

i know it is very long but it would be improtant to get all the information down.

i dont think you have the rating equivalents right. i know a couple of kids who play in the UK, and they say a 9.2 usually would be about a 3.5...... and 6.2 would be usually a 4.5 usa rating. but if i am not mistaken, the uk ratings are based off results, and the usa ratings are based off of skill