PDA

View Full Version : Players you have seen play and where?

court_zone
02-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I've seen Andy Roddick, John McEnroe, Sebastien Grosjean, Aaron Krickstein, Brenda-Schultz McCartney, and Chris Evert all at Andy's Charity Event in December. It was only $25 for general seating with all proceeds going to Andy's Charity, I should have thanked him for letting me come, rather than him thanking me. Andy is such a nice guy and I got to see his booming tennis live(it was a dream), as long with some other great players. It was nice because I got his signature and was one of the first to have his "no compromise" bracelet.

VamosRafa
02-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks for your post. That was a great experience. :-)

I won't respond in detail. I've been fortunate enough to go to many events since 1999 (after my kids were out of diapers). Nothing like live tennis!

I will say, though, if you get a chance to go to a Davis Cup event, seize the chance. It's the best bang for your tennis buck, in my view.

court_zone
02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your post.I will say, though, if you get a chance to go to a Davis Cup event, seize the chance. It's the best bang for your tennis buck, in my view.

You're welcome. I would really like to watch the US DC team play a tie but this year it's either going to be in another country or in California while I live in Florida, it will be too much of a hassle for my family. Maybe next year they will choose a city in Florida.

Andy Hewitt
02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I live in Chicago :D ... :( I want a good tennis tourney!!!!

VamosRafa
02-14-2005, 04:15 PM
And, you are close to TMS Masters Cincinnati, which is a fantastic ATP event. I drove to Cincy from Chicago myself a couple years ago -- the drive isn't bad.

Court Zone, there are so many great events in Florida. You are very fortunate. The Davis Cup tie against Sweden was played at Del Ray Beach last year (I went to that, as my mother spends the winter in that area). And the TMS Miami is coming up. Florida is a great place to live for going to tennis, that's for sure. :D

court_zone
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I know the many tournaments that Florida has and I'm pretty lucky to live in such a tennis state. I am probably going to the TMS Miami coming up if I can still get my pick of tickets. I really want to watch a US DC tie because I want to see how different it is to regular tournies myself and the DC atmosphere.

Andy Hewitt
02-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Andy, you are close to TMS Masters Cincinnati, which is a fantastic ATP event. I drove to Cincy from Chicago myself a couple years ago -- the drive isn't bad.

Court Zone, there are so many great events in Florida. You are very fortunate. The Davis Cup tie against Sweden was played at Del Ray Beach last year (I went to that, as my mother spends the winter in that area). And the TMS Miami is coming up. Florida is a great place to live for going to tennis, that's for sure. :D
Yup i found out about that during the Tennis Masters Houston and i was mad. Im gonna check that out this year if i can convince people to go with me.

Mark55
02-14-2005, 04:30 PM
I saw Roddick, Fish, Agassi, and the Bryan Brothers in a charity event. Then I saw Alex Kuznetsova, Thomas Blake, and Brian Baker in a challenger.

Andy Hewitt
02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Andy, you are close to TMS Masters Cincinnati, which is a fantastic ATP event. I drove to Cincy from Chicago myself a couple years ago -- the drive isn't bad.

Yo im lookin at the site for it and i dont understand the sessions, are the last 3 "sessions" seminfinals and the finals?
http://www.cincytennis.com/1009/tickets/store_singlesessionmen.asp

VamosRafa
02-14-2005, 04:52 PM
This is my opinion, and totally my opinion,

If you are going to your first tournament, go in the early days. You can see a huge variety of matches, and see lots of practices.

Cincy is a great tournament, because they post the practice schedules on the site.

So when you get there, you can look at the Order of Play, see what matches you want to see, and also look at the practice schedule, and plan your day accordingly.

And you can see everyone. If you book for the semis and finals, your fave player may not be there (but if he's Fed, he likely will be *lol*).

And if you go for so many days, and want to extend, that's easier than going for the end, and wishing you had gotten there earlier. I have never done the latter, because I've always been aware of the former.

Cincy hotels are very cheap. There are a bunch of them near the tennis center (which I think is in Mason), so pick one, and you can either get a shuttle from your hotel to the tennis or drive it. It's all pretty close.

If I were you, I'd plan for earlier in the week, and buy the best tickets you can. No matter what ticket you have, it will work on the outer courts. And the Cincy stadium is so small, that no matter where you sit, it's a good seat. Not true at Indian Wells, and some other stadiums. But for that one, it's fine. There's not a bad seat in the house.

I wish you luck. If you want to e-mail me for more info, please do so through http:www/vamosrafael.com. Just click on contact us. Good luck!

I may go again this year, although I'm looking at Montreal, as I have some good friends going there. And I haven't been to Montreal in years, and that was for non-tennis stuff.

joeman957
02-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I'd like to see some pro tennis players live at a Grand Slam one day, the closest thing to seeing pro tennis are during open level tournaments at my local club.

Kirko
02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
from the late 70's to the mid 80's used to go the Alan King Tennis Classic In Las Vegas it was great ! saw them all and got two posters from the event with all the greats on it.

dennis1188
02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
I recall seeing John Newcome and Arthur Ashe in Evanston,Ill, in the late 60's. I saw JN again with Tony Roche in the Bay Area w/ team tennis in the mid 70's ( JN always had a good sense of humor on the court).
In HK, the late 70's we saw Ken Rosewall and Jimmy Connors, JC used profanity towards the Officials and the spectators. Missed out on my only chance to see Borg, when I was working late again at the office.
In the 80's at HK tournament saw a very young then unknown Ivan Lendl, practicing Monday night on a outside court. The sound of his forehand strokes ( like gunshots) many pros stopped by to watch him and realized the future of tennis had arrived and it was time to look for a different job.
Saw Micheal Chang for years try to beat Jim Courier, A.Agassi and Ivan Lendl. He finally did win the HK tournament one year.
Saw John McEnroe, in his prime in a exhibition match, I had boxseats just so I could watch JM's, extreme slice serve. JM, was the ultimate 'touch-player' with the 'big weapon' serve ( best court awareness and natural ability).
Also, saw Boris Becker, in his prime. The new generation of players w/ power and great movement. Pat Cash is also in this period.
We saw three tie breaks in the HK final match where Pete Sampas, beat Jim Courier to become the number one player (PS first time as number one).
Pat Rafter also was good to watch especially against Pete Sampas.
And saw Kurten a few times, but he seem to struggle on the hard court.
Last year, I saw Roger Federer, during a two hour practice session at the Thailand Open, Bangkok. I was within 15 feet of the practice court. RF's foot movement was very quick and very quiet. RF could quickly sense a approach/opening opportunity and close in to finish a volley. RF did lose the practice game with his swiss practice partner and had to do ten push-ups.
Just saw Roddick last week at the SAP. Hit the big first serve and hit the big follow-up forehand, not much else. In the quarter finals, after losing the first set, Roddick up 6-0 in the 2nd set TB, lost six straight set points in the tie breaker before winning TB 8-6. Enqvist was only one here that pressured him to do more.

VamosRafa
02-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Just saw Roddick last week at the SAP. Hit the big first serve and hit the big follow-up forehand, not much else.

So why did he win the tournament? No one there to challenge him?

lemurballs
02-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Everyone @ 2004 Wimbledon. Highlight of my life.

Andy Roddick semifinal, and Centre Court 15 rows dead center for the Sharapova final.

norcal
02-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Some years back I was fortunate to a friend (tennis buddy) who worked PR for Bank of the West which sponsors a WTA event in the Bay Area. My friend would get me a press or vendor or whatever he could muster, pass, and I got to wander around behind the scenes.
One of the best matches I have seen live I saw there, the final between Seles and Navritilova. Amazing tennis. The doubles final was won by GG Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva. After the finals I was helping my buddy clear some promotional stuff. We left both our wives in the bank office with instructions 'don't let anyone in here'. We get back and my wife says, 'some lady was trying to get in here but I kicked her out. She said something about a check. There she is', and she points to Zvereva. We're like, oh no, don't you recognize her? We just watched her play! (she was in jeans now) So my buddy grabs this huge B of W stuffed bear and we go find Natasha, apologize, give her the bear and show her where to get her check. Long legs she has.

I also saw Venus Williams' pro debut there. Afterward I was hanging out waiting for the press conference. I was standing next to this obnoxious woman who was going on and on about the game and women's tour in particular. She worked for some newspaper (using that term lightly, I'm guessing a free weekly or something). Nothing she was saying was accurate. I pointed this out to her and she was not happy. We argued for a few minutes and seeing how I had maybe a beer or six in me I say, 'I bet you don't even play tennis!' (not a bad bet since she was pushing 250 lbs). Again she was not happy with me. Anyway the press conference was a zoo but it was interesting until I see a familiar ****ed off hippo with a security guard saying, 'he isn't in the press, he has fake credentials!' So I try and get lost in the crowd and ending up hiding behind Mary Joe Fernandez near the locker room. A nice choice for scenery but not for being inconspicuous. I explained I was helping my buddy etc and the security was cool about it (this is pre Seles stabbing; probably would've been tossed in jail now!).

But my best pro tennis experience was last week. I get a call out of the blue on Tuesday from my cousin who used to do a bit of coaching on the tour. He had gotten a call the previous week to work with two doubles teams. He was in San Jose for the SAP and said come watch some tennis! So I went into work early three days then zipped over to SJ and watched a hell of a lot of tennis up close and for free. He also took me to a closed (to the public) practice facility where it was just a bunch of pros, coaches and me. It was awesome to watch practice matches and hear stories and jokes they would be telling. One coach was talking about the huge talent that Labadze has (and wastes) as he was practicing. He said, 'we were travelling in Europe and Labadze was going to be on our flight. He (labadze)is waiting for the flight, has a pink mohawk, wearing fatigues, reading a guns and ammo mag, travelling on a Georgian passport. I said if they don't stop him for questioning I'm never getting on another f*cking plane, ever!'
It was a great week.

baseliner
02-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Too many to list all of them. Highlights were the Washington Star in the early 70's. Talked my way in free claiming I was Stan Smith's brother. Guard says "Oh really, where is he playing this week". Being a tennis fan i knew and he let me and a friend in free. Saw Laver and Ashe. Saw Agassi when he was still in his teens dating Wendy. I had my 10 year old daughter with me and the manner of dress of the girlfriend was quite embarrassing. Also got to see Olympics. I would have to say the best tennis from a viewer standpoint is at the challenger series or the qualies for a tournament. You get to see a lot of matches and can wander around and get up close and personal. If any of you get a chance another good forum for great viewing is the NCAA championships.. Very cheap and great entertainment.

RoddickRulez
02-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Hewitt, roddick,... at indianapolis
James Blake, Mardy Fish, Todd martin at charity thing.
P.S. Got to play xbox topspin against james blake. james was himself i was sampras got crushed in two 0-3

Brettolius
02-16-2005, 09:19 AM
roddickrulez- if you've been to indy, you're close enough to check out the cincy masters. that's the place to be, with ALL the top guys SUPPOSED to be there. saw everybody at least practice (besides agassi, safin, hewitt, this was in '03, they were injured) and saw some sweet match-ups too, all in one day. wednesday is what i shoot for. definitely something to check out.

RoddickRulez
02-16-2005, 09:29 AM
i went on saturday for semis in 03

RoddickRulez
02-16-2005, 09:29 AM
id rather go to semis then on wed

Brettolius
02-16-2005, 09:38 AM
but on wednesday everyone is still there, cuz most of the big guys haven't lost there's more than 2 matches, therefore more people practicing, and its the day with the most good players facing other good players, not the earlier round scrubs. i saw ferrero v gaudio, fed v nalbandian, roddick v lubicic and can't remember the others. wednesday is more bang for your buck

fantom
02-16-2005, 09:44 AM
I lived in Houston for a few years and got to see 3 years of the US Men's Claycourt Championships and the 2003 Tennis Masters Cup.

Players I've seen: Agassi, Federer, Sampras, Roddick, Nalbandian, Coria, Shuettler....

Most memorable matches: Sampras vs. Agassi (Sampras won on clay!), Federer vs. Agassi, J.M. Gambill vs. Luis Horna.........

(that was a joke)...........

joehight
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your post. That was a great experience. :-)

I will say, though, if you get a chance to go to a Davis Cup event, seize the chance. It's the best bang for your tennis buck, in my view.

I not only went to the Davis Cup match between the U.S. and Sweden last April in Delray Beach, Florida, I covered it for a local newspaper. It was about the best tennis excitement and atmosphere I've ever experienced. I also covered a Fed Cup match between the U.S. and Italy. Got to interview Billie Jean King, Alexandra Stevenson, Lisa Raymond. I have also covered the annual tournament in Washington, D.C., where I've seen Agassi, Roddick, Moya, Marcelo Rios, Henman, Blake, Hewit, Phillipousis, Fernando Gonzales, Kafelnikov, Sjeng Schalken, Scrhiriphan, Bryan brothers, and others. I've also covered the Hall of Fame tournament in Newport, R.I.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I was staying in Paris in Melia Royal Alma Boutique Hotel in May 2004.

Suddenly at breakfast met with Safin, he sat down near neighbour table, then I saw Kuznetsova there outside in garden, Moya was leaving the hotel with his friends and probably girl-friend or wife ( don't know exactly). Then I saw a lot of fans looking at my window ( they thought probably that I'm also PRO). Then I went to Safin-Mantila match continuation.

U can easily buy tickets approaching to the courts the same day for 100$.

Federer Admirer
02-18-2005, 02:08 AM
I have Managed to see all the top 10 players at the moment and plenty more including Guga, geal monfils, grosjean, Donald Young, Haas, Novak, Srichaphan

To top that off i got to have a hit with Andy Roddick and got to return his serve for the tsunami appeal. I managed to return three of his serves and raise $750 (one serve i returned was 220km). I also got $500 dollars of free gear fom reebok. :mrgreen:

AndrewD
02-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I was lucky, or foolish, enough to call the lines at the Australian Open for a bit over 10 years so got to see some fantastic players and some fantastic matches all from the best seat in the house (I called the service line). Hard to pick a favourite but Im glad to say I got to see Edberg, Wilander, Becker, Agassi, Kafelnikov, Sampras and Lendl all in their prime. Sitting a foot away from those guys is one thing but to see (and hear) them play from court level is a unique experience.

baseliner,
Id trade for a few of the matches you saw. Smith, Laver and co. would have been fantastic to watch.

Serve-And-Volley
02-18-2005, 04:50 AM
I seen Anna Kournikova, The Williams Sisters, and Brenda Schultz at Rupp Arena in Lexington. It was amazing but Brenda looked better than all of them.

joehight
02-18-2005, 04:50 AM
I was lucky, or foolish, enough to call the lines at the Australian Open for a bit over 10 years so got to see some fantastic players and some fantastic matches all from the best seat in the house (I called the service line).

I assume your work calling the lines was volunteer work, i.e., you were not paid. Is that true? Is all line calling and chair umpiring done on a volunteer basis? If so, why can't major pro tennis tournaments, paying big money to players, pay a modest amount for these services? Why do they use free labor?

Brettolius
02-18-2005, 06:08 AM
serve and volley- do you live in ky? i'm in louisville, but i was just in lexington last night. not a ton of tennis players in the ol' bluegrass state, huh?

juu
02-18-2005, 08:15 AM
RF did lose the practice game with his swiss practice partner and had to do ten push-ups.Why did RF lose?

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 09:05 AM
The most memorable for me was seeing Andre Agassi back in 97 when he went really low on his ranking and ended up playing satellites. I guess the good life with then wife Brook Shields was too much ;) Any how, he played at my local tennis facility, Burbank Tennis Center, which he won the finals against Sargis Sargisian. I was lucky enough to sit right behind Brad Gilbert, whom which is actually a great guy in person along with agassi.

I got Agassi's autograph on the ticket stub, and I wonder how much it would be worth when he retires?

Jet Rink
02-18-2005, 09:59 AM
'84 Davis Cup USA vs. Australia.

Featured Johnny Mac at the apex of the sport; Jimmy; Mac and Fleming in dubs and coached by Ashe.

Aussies featured John Fitzgerald and the teenaged Pat Cash.

Jet

Peter K.
02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Living in Southern California, i've been to Indian Wells, the Mercedes Benz tounry at UCLA, and saw the women's year end event at Staples last year. To be able to watch your favorite players on the practice courts (while you stand ten feet away) is just as memorable as watching the actual matches!
Agassi, Guga, Safin, Henin-Hardene (sp?), Capriatti, Ferrero, Hewitt, on and on, it's great to watch them all--with their different strengths. Special mention goes to the Magician--first time i saw him play was at Indian Wells. One of his dropshots was so soft it dissolved into the court. I am not making this up! ;-)

dgrson
02-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I live in Baltimore and have seen many pro's at Pam Shriver's charity event each year: Blake, Roddick, Chris Evert, Navritolova, Davenport, Sharapova and quite a few others. Also, in Washington, DC at the Legg Mason over the years many different pros as well as a trip to the 2003 US Open(the outer courts are a great place to get up close). The best event was in Salisbury, MD in 1980(?) at a WCT event put on by the late Bill Riordan. Eight players in a round robin format where everyone played each other. Borg, Connors, Nastase, Vilas, Solomon, Dibbs and two others(maybe Armitraj & Geralitus). A student pass for the whole week cost $30. Nastase was wearing leather pants and glasses that blinked on and off. I think he got into a fight because he tried to pick up some guys wife!

Stuck
02-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Suggest you go to a grand slam (us open) if you commit to oing the first weekend you'll more than likely see all top 10 players. Unbelievable experience to see the game played by the game's best!

VamosRafa
02-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Suggest you go to a grand slam (us open) if you commit to oing the first weekend you'll more than likely see all top 10 players. Unbelievable experience to see the game played by the game's best!

I agree. But I think the Masters Series events deliver a lot more bang for your buck,

The practice courts at the U.S. Open are not accessible at all. There are lots of matches to see, and that's great. But you don't see the players walking around the way you do at other events.

And if you go watch a best of five match, and it goes five sets, you'll find yourself spending 3-4 hours there, and missing a whole bunch of other stuff. Which is fine. It's a neat experience, but other events provide you with more.

The Masters events have essentially the same players as the GS events (and both the women and men are at IW and Miami). So you see all the top playeres. The difference is that the events are much more relaxed, the practice courts are accessible for most of the events, and the players seem less intense. It's a much more up-close-and-personal experience from a fan point of view.

And in many instances (especially when it comes to Wimbledon and Roland Garros), it's much cheaper to attend the Masters events. (I do think, overall, the Aus Open and USO are fairly reasonably priced, especially in the early rounds. But it's tough to get tickets to other two -- sorry, but even as much as I love tennis I'm not camping out in a tent overnight in the Wimbly queue to try to get tickets.)

I am so happy to have experienced GS events. But it's not the best experience I have had in terms of going to a tennis event. I put other events ahead of that, and suggest that, if possible, you also go to a GS event.

prince
02-18-2005, 09:28 PM
I always go to the nasdaq tourney - in key biscayne FL.

alienhamster
02-18-2005, 10:50 PM
sorry, but even as much as I love tennis I'm not camping out in a tent overnight in the Wimbly queue to try to get tickets.
It is so totally worth it--one of the best experiences of my life. Nothing like being around a whole line full of drunk tennis nerds. Plus, there were people handing out bowls of cereal, squrting milk into the bowls from their milk-jet backpacks. And if you're far up enough in line, you get seats right near the court.

Loved it. Got no sleep, I was wet and freezing for a time, but I loved it.

benny boy
03-18-2005, 03:49 PM
last year i went to the masters in toronto canada on a rain day and went back two days later. they were still catching up on delayed matches so i got to see
hewitt, henman, federer x2, roddick, moya, agassi, with many other people outside of the top ten

VamosRafa
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
It is so totally worth it--one of the best experiences of my life. Nothing like being around a whole line full of drunk tennis nerds. Plus, there were people handing out bowls of cereal, squrting milk into the bowls from their milk-jet backpacks. And if you're far up enough in line, you get seats right near the court.

Loved it. Got no sleep, I was wet and freezing for a time, but I loved it.

I'm sure you are significantly younger than I am. Even if I was up for the tent, no sleeping, and freezing, I wouldn't be amused by the breakfast fiascos, as I get to experience it with my own sons on a regular basis. *rofl* Hey, if I'm going to go to England again, I should look forward to something new.

But I have taken the advice of Prince, and many others, and will be going to Key Biscayne for the first time. No tent is required, thankfully.

The Pusher Terminator
03-20-2005, 03:02 AM
I can top that...I have seen many players for free!!!

John Mcenroe, Jim Courier, Boris Becker, Monica Seles, Pete Sampras, Aaron Krikstein, Yanick Noah. martina Navratilova.

You can too!! Just goover to the Tennisport club in Queens NY during any weekday and you will not only see some famous tennis players but also some famous (I bumped into Harrison Ford).

It is the greatest club in the world... www.tennisport.com

I once had the experiene of a lifetime. I was hitting a bucket of balls. I hit a huge serve down the "T" on the ad court. I hear someone say "very good"....I look over my shoulder and its Jim Courier in the court next to mine. I was completely blown away!!! But all I said was "thanks" and went back to serving. I will never forget that moment for the rest of my life.

Newby
03-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I've seen Scrichaphan, Philippoussis, Haas, Bryan Brothers, Ginepri, Schalken, Mardy Fish, Benneteau, Dent, Donald Young, Phillip Simmonds, Kenneth Carlson, Wayne Arthurs, Wayne Ferreira, Spadea, and ANDRE AGASSI all at the Mercedez Benz Cup here in LA. Then I went to the year end WTA Championships at the Staples Center and saw Mauresmo, Zvonareva, Sharapova, and Serena Williams. Watching Philippoussis practice I was mesmerized by the way he hit the ball, but watching him the next day against Benneteau I literally fell asleep.

activentures
03-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Having spent at least a couple of days at wimbledon for the last 12 years I've seen most of the top guys and gals. I often try to go the first two days because even though the games can be more one sided, everyone in the draw plays in those two days, and you get big names on outside courts. I tend to spend a lot of the time at the practice courts as you get to see how they train close up. Seen some great practice sets (eg. Henman vs Pete), ARod hitting slam dunk overheads...with his left hand!, exactly how hard Agassi hits the ball, and gugas sweeeet backhand.

andrew_slattery
03-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I always attend the australian summer circuit (January each year). I usually attend the Tournament in Sydney ( formerly 'NSW open' & 'adidas international', Now the 'medibank' international), which is of course the major lead up event to the AUS Open. Ive worked there in the locker room the past 3 or 4 years as a 'player services attendent'. i pretty much just give the players towels and drinks, and take their racquets to the stringers, as well as show the coaches and guests of players to their seats on the outside courts. I dont get paid, but the experience is awesome,not to mention priceless.

Ive seen pretty much everyone and spoken to them all. I remember playing a game of poker in 2001 against Federer, his coach (P Lungdren), Moya and another tournament volunteer (when no one knew who he was) - (we were in a rain delay in the players lounge). The funny thing was that both players were due to play each other after it finished raining. That was awesome.Another awesome experience was in 2002 when roddick asked me if he could hold my mobile phone cause it was so small. He asked me what model it was, and said he wanted one.

after the tournament in sydney, i usuallyhead down to Melbourne for the aus open. I usually go down half way through the first week and stay for a week. I was lucky enough to be at the Safin v Federer match this year (where federer's winning streak was broken).

35ft6
03-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Going to the US Open three years in a row while living in New York, you see just about everybody...

- Peter Korda, Richard Kraijeck, Albert Costa, Ginepri, Roddick, Martin, Henman, Goran, Federer, Malisse, Pioline, Ferreira, Nalbandian, Agassi, Coria, Massu, Hewitt, Robredo, Vahaly... and probably a few I've missed... I've watched all these guys practice.
- Match Play at US Open: Grosjean, Agassi, Roddick, Hewitt, Goran, Pioline, Haas, Hingis, Seles, Moya, Fish, Ancic, Gimelstob, Arias, Jarkko N, Kristen Pless, Enquist, Srichaphan, Woodbridge, Verdasco, Karlovic, Kuertan, Zabaleta, Malisse, Capriati... and several more less famous people.
- Non US Open matches and practice: Davenport, Capriati, Kournikova, Ljubicic, Ancic, Lendl, Mayotte, McEnroe, Krickstein, Wilander...

I want to hit up the Nasdaq and Rome tournaments. Also, the French and Aussie.

hotdimsim
03-21-2005, 12:58 AM
i saw roger (god) federer at the aussie open this year. I was like literally 6 feet from him on a practice court, and i passed him a ball!!!!(ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod). My brother works for the media, so he got me a practice skedual from the media room. I also saw Hewitt practicing w/ Roger Rasheed.

babar
03-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I have been to the DC tournament many times, but I had the chance to hit with Bryan Shelton during the winter of 1992 at Vanderbilt University. Just a fluke that my buddy and i had scheduled some court time at the indoor courts, but he did not show up. Bryan Shelton was practicing serves by himself on a far court and I asked if he would like to hit and he said he had to finish up his serving routine. He invited me to work on my return if I wanted and I accepted. WOW! Did my return SUCK compared to his serve. It was much fun though. Btw, Bryan Shelton was a BIG DUDE! I felt like a dwarf compared to him. I did get a few serves back in play intentionally. If only I had a coach. . .

johnmcc516
03-21-2005, 08:37 AM
I watched Andy Roddick vs Andre Agassi along with the Bryan brothers play in Mobile, Alabama back in December.

Mikael
03-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I've been to Wimbledon every year since 1997, usually spending the first four or five days of the tournament there. I've also been to the French Open twice, and numerous Challenger/Futures events. This year I think I'll go to the qualies of the French Open but unfortunately, for the first time in 8 years, won't be able to make it for Wimbledon... US Open is in the plans now that my sister lives there. I've pretty much seen everybody in the top 100. I hate watching full matches except when Enqvist is playing, most of the time I just watch a few games or a set and then move on to another match. That way I get to see more players.

GameTime
06-16-2005, 08:53 AM
I've been to the USO to see players practice, for AA Kid's Day, and WTT Final.

I have seen Sampras, Agassi, Roddick, Blake, Courier, Gilbert, Seles, Raymond/Stubbs, Dent, Rubin, Myskina, Harkleroad, Kournikova, and Stevenson.

I want to see the genius, Federer, play live though.

hank kingsley
06-16-2005, 05:57 PM
I live in the NY area and have been to the Open and the Hamlet (now gone) for many years running. Been fortunate enough to have seen just about everyone. A few highlights-

McEnroe-Annacone, 1st rd USO (I think in '87) won by Annacone in 4. bad seats though.
Sat in 2nd row for Hamlet final, Rafter/Moya and the following year Rafter/Mantilla. (I think this was 97/98, the same yrs Rafter won USO). Rafter is hands down the best volleyer I ever saw in person.
Lots of others at Hamlet-Clement/Chang, Scrichaphan/Blake in the finals a couple yrs ago.
Saw J.Johansson/Llodra on Armstrong last yr (4th rd?) after a rain delay. About 30 people there.
Malisse/Spadea about 3 yrs ago, 2nd or 3rd rd. A Spadea fan was saying "c'mon Vincent" every time X missed. X wanted to fight him and got distracted long enough to lose a set.
Saw Federer up close on an outer court in 2000 or 01, don't remember the opponent.
Pat McEnroe warming up Roddick before the QF with Hewitt in '01
Hewitt losing in final rd qualifying in '99
Ivanisevic blantantly tanking vs. Hrbaty in 1st rd (2000?)

One confession: my girlfriend (now wife) and I were at the Todd Martin/Moya night match about 4 yrs ago. Martin came back from 2 sets down to win in 5. It ended probably after 1AM. All the remaining fans were allowed to move down close to the court. Problem is we left after the 2nd! What can I say-it was a weeknite and we both had to get up for work. I'm still mad about that one.

Last one-went to Nasdaq back in the mid-80s when it was still the Lipton. Was pretty young, but just old enough to enjoy the ********* view for a Carling Basset match!

Muse
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
I went to the Legg Mason tourney in Washington DC last year, the highest profile people I saw were Agassi and Hewitt. James Blake, Ginepri, Schalkin were some other notible people. There was a qualifier guy who's first serve touched 148 mph with some regularity. His second serve was always in the high 80's, low 90's. He lost, but that was probably the fastest serve i've ever seen in person.

muklucke
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
The last match i was was at Indian Wells where i saw roddick beat moya in 3. Ive also been kinda a regular at the WTA Championships at Staples. That should cover like the top 10 women.

loopy
06-16-2005, 10:21 PM
I was at Wimbledon every year for about 12 years in the 70's and 80's and had connections at that time so I got to see Borg,Mac,Lendl,Connors etc. Unfortunately for most of those years I was really to young to appreciate it but I had more fun on the outside courts. You may not see the top 3 or 4 players but you were so close and there were some great matches. I also saw mac when he came to Atlanta around 1980 I think and got to meet him, he was very funny and happily signed my autograph. I've always been a huge fan of his and that just made my day. There was also a tennis/music event they used to have back then and that was a lot of fun. I recall Wheaton,Purcell,Krickstein,Pernfors and many more. They had a concert and it was really funny watching the tennis pros playing guitar or TRYING to sing. They did do a pretty good rendition of Jumping Jack Flash.

Knark52nd
06-17-2005, 02:54 AM
this year's Indian Wells final Fed v. Hewitt
got to see that killer rally in person with all those fans. nothing like it.

RiosTheGenius
11-08-2005, 09:06 PM
everyone at USopen 2003,2004,2005.

Shiro
11-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Mario Ancic and Nadia Petrova right next to me

BankOfDad
11-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Let's see. How about just tonight?
I saw Kim Clijsters, Mary Pierce, Maria Sharapova, Lindsay Davenport, Nadia Petrova and someone else, I forgot. Not bad for a few hours ago.

melzer federer
11-09-2005, 04:41 AM
McEnroe, Agassi, Courier, and Sampras at Nike Charity event, December 1996.
Sampras played Mac a few points with a wooden racket, still served 124mph.

Rafter, Cash, Stoltenburg, Woodforde practicing during the old US Clay Courts, in Pine Hurst NC. They were all very nice. Cash was nice but seemed like he was full of himself.

Karim Alami and Javior Frana during US Clay Coursts (Pine Hurst)
Spent the day there, very nice time.

Saw Capriati, Anke Huber, Alexi Fusia, Mary Pearce, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, and Conchita Martinez at the clay tournament held in Hilton Head SC, 1997

Wilander, and McEnroe in Raleigh, at a seniors event.

Got autographs and many pictures. I enjoyed watching the players practice.

35ft6
11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Last night I saw Petrova, Sharapova, Davenport, and one of my fave WTA players of all time, Patty Schnyder.

Mr.Federer
11-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I got to see last year : Amelie Mauresmo (got an autograph), Maria Sharapova she was an inch from me! Paola Suarez, Jennifer Capriati, Mary Pierce,Karolina Sprem, Chanda Rubin in a half a day.(rain)

This year : Rafael Nadal, Andy Roddick,Lleyton Hewitt,Nikolay Davydenko, Taylor Dent, Ivan Ljubicic, Feliciano Lopex, Thomas Berdych, Arnaud Clement, Paul-Henri-Mathieu, Greg Rusedski,Jurgen Melzer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, David Ferrer, Paradorn Srichapan, Bryan brothers,Andrei Pavel,Xavier Malisse, ANDRE AGASSI,Carlos Moya,Gaston Gaudio, Ivo Karlovic, Jonas Bjorkman, Guillermo Coria, Mario Ancic, Tim Henman, Dominik Hrbaty, Cyril Saulnier, Jiri Novak, Younes Al aynouei and that's about it.

I got see them at the 2005 Rogers Cup in Montreal. Really thrilling seeing all the pros.

croatian sensation
11-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I've only seen players who played in Umag this year and last year. That would pretty much be the whole Spanish Davis Cup team :-) and actually every other Spanish pro there is (kidding..but not much..."official" language in Umag during Croatia Open is spanish :-) ), Coria, Guga, Volandri, Djokovie etc. etc...
My big wish is to go to se Wimbledon one year.
Unfortunately this is what you get when you live in Croatia, you're a student and dont have time&money to go to other places to watch tournaments live.
Though if the question was "players you have talked to" my score would be better there :-)

Fatmike
11-09-2005, 12:36 PM
hum....
Capriati, Pierce, Washington, Myskina, Nadal, Moya, Ferrero, Coria, Hewitt, Massu, Kiefer, Grosjean, some others I can't remember

nextNalbandian
11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I saw Sampras at his last us open, Serena, Hingis, Anna K, Capriati, and i have hit with Schultz-McCarthy.

alfa164164
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I ran into James Blake at an Einstein Bagel shop in downtown Indianapolis the morning after his 1st round loss to Gregory Carraz. 10 minutes later in walks Paul Goldstein.
My sister ran into Stefan Edberg and his girlfriend at the time (early 90s) at a 7 Eleven outside of Key Biscane. He was still nice enough to pose for a photograph for her.

killer
11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
I'l try to be as complete as i can be:

Stefan Edberg
Boris Becker
Ivan lendl (my personal fave- he always said 'thanks' when i handed him the towel)
Gabriela Sabatini
Kevin Curren (got hit by his warm-up serve!)
Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario
Natasha Zvereva
Andrew Sznajdjer (last name is wrong i know, but he was a Canuck)
Yannick Noah
Wilander (even though i didn't know who he was until several years later!)

Can't recall any more right now...but i've met tons of other top players, including Mac, with whom i discussed lefty-strategy (as i am a lefty too!)...

Dan007
11-09-2005, 02:59 PM
I saw the Brian brothers, Andy Roddick, and James Blake this year in Legg Mason Tennis Classic. I also saw Richard Gasquet, Ivan Ljubicic, Nicolas Kiefer, Max Mirnyi, Fernando Verdasco, Novak Djokovic, Oliver Rochus, Daniela Hantuchova, Ai Sugiyama, Nicole Vaidisova, Nadia Petrova, and Anastasia Myskina at this year's U.S. Open.

donnyz89
11-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Hum... Santoro/his doubs partner vs Ulleyte (sp)/Black in the Cincinnati Masters Doubs Semis. and Leyton Hewitt vs Roddick in the Singles Semis. thats it.

Mr.Federer
11-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah I also saw, RObin Soderling, Olivier Rochus, Grosjean, Max Miyrni, Kiefer

srv vlly
11-10-2005, 01:06 PM
safin, gasquet, federer, roddick, hewitt, bryan bros, nadal, clijsters, pierce, serena, venus, sharapova, ljubcic, ancic, henman, gaudio, donald young, myrni, bjorkman, agassi, blake, ginepri, coria, guga, nalbandian, srichipan, lopez, gonzalez, conchita martinez, vaidaisova. I work as a ballboy at the us open:D

pound cat
11-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Every pro who was in toronto MS in 2002 including Rios except Sampras when I watched doubles with Wayne Ferreira, Federer, Kafelnikov & Safin instead. Canas???hmm won.

rommil
11-10-2005, 08:15 PM
What can I say? I live close to New Haven and New York City and I go see the Pilot Pen and the US Open every year and the Chase Championships when it was still held in NY. I have seen a lot of players. But the most satisfying ones are pictures with and autographs of my 2 favorite players, Roger Federer and Monica Seles(chatted with her too).

Muse
11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I've been to the Legg Mason tourney in DC one summer. I saw Hewitt, Agassi, Schalken, Ginepri, maybe Blake, but i cant remember. Hewitt won, beat Mueller in the finals. It was a good time.

There was also some guy who lost in the qualifying bracket, I dont remember his name, but he was getting his first serve up to 148 on the radar gun. Big difference from his 90 mph 2nd serve.

dmastous
11-10-2005, 08:59 PM
I lived in So Cal for many years and watched the LA tournament (McEnroe, Gilbert, Edberg and Pete Sampras' first professional match, against Peter Doohan - sat next to a 17 [?] yr old Jim Courier and his coach Jose Higueras) every year from '85 thru '88. Also, saw theNewsweek Champions cup (Becker Vs Emilio Sanchez) in Palm Springs, and the Manhatten Beach tournament (Pam Shriver against 14 yr old Amy Fraizer). Also, the La Costa tournement where I saw Date, Graf & the Barcelona Bumble Bee.
Up in San Fransisco & San Jose I saw Agassi, Courier (after his victory in Austrialia), Chang and a whole bunch of others from that era.
Haven't seen too many of the current crop. I've gone the Newport Tournament a 3 or 4 times where I've seen Rudzetski, Blake and Ginepre. Paul Goldstien this year. But that's a tier 3 event on grass the week AFTER Wimbledon, so it's not going to get that many big names. I get tickets for the induction ceremonies so I can see the players I grew up with get into the HOF.

psamp14
11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
i've seen sampras, agassi, and rusedski at the SYBASE Open, now known as the SAP Open,,...in san jose

just this past summer i witnessed federer, hewitt, and roddick at cincy

ironchef21
11-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I have very fond memories of the Cincy tournament. Saw Edberg, Wilander, Becker, Sampras (when he only played doubles with Courier in Cincy), Courier. One year of all people Brad Gilbert beat Chang, Edberg, and Becker to win the tournament. Go figure.

In Raleigh they had the Federation Cup one year so I saw Seles crush Iva Majoli. Chanda Rubin also played and Billie Jean King was the coach.

They used to have a seniors tour come through NC so I saw Connors, McEnroe, Wilander Luis-Clerc, and Andres Gomez

I've been to Roland Garros & Wimbledon, but alas NOT when the tournaments were going on! :mad:

sportsfan10
11-11-2005, 11:36 AM
US Open in the mid - late 80's, before the new stadium. You could get close to the practice courts then. Most memorable -- watching Steffi's footwork during a practice session, standing behind the end of the court while Becker served, Edberg gliding to the net in a practice session, Sabatini playing a match on an outer court (stands were packed), the sound (or lack of it) when Leconte hit drop shots and drop volleys during another match on an outer court (incredible touch).

Another great memory - my first pro tennis experience in Birmingham, AL when a young Jimmy Connors was barnstorming with Bill Riordan's tennis tour. He played doubles with Nastase. Sandy Mayer was there and, I believe, Raul Ramirez.

pound cat
11-11-2005, 03:14 PM
It's great that the replies in this thread are a virtual record of Open Era tennis (as played in N. America, anyway). What's lacking is the European perspective. Anyone. please?

westside
11-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Hewitt, Safin, Blake, S.Williams, Mauresmo, Ljubibic, Gonzalez, Coria, Nalbandian, Molik, V.Williams, Mardy Fish

At this years Australian Open

Barricade_steve
11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
safin,hewitt,roddick,henman,nadal, gonzo, knowles,nestor, navritilova(sp), fed,blake, hass, coria, P-dorn. and much more @ the pacific life open 04.

pacific life open 05 same as above + to many to name.
ancic,agassi ,goldstien,cyril saunlier(sp), kevin kim, and X-man. @ mercedez benz cup 05.

donnyz89
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
safin, gasquet, federer, roddick, hewitt, bryan bros, nadal, clijsters, pierce, serena, venus, sharapova, ljubcic, ancic, henman, gaudio, donald young, myrni, bjorkman, agassi, blake, ginepri, coria, guga, nalbandian, srichipan, lopez, gonzalez, conchita martinez, vaidaisova. I work as a ballboy at the us open:D

wow, that must be some experience. real life is much different than on TV.

Jonnyf
11-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Jmac, Forget, Courier, Muster, Becker, BATES (lol) Bhurami and a few others

04,05 Masters Royal Albert Hall

Da One
11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
I've seen a lot of players play live, well actually worked for them because I work as a ballperson at the U.S. Open, including this year. This year alone I worked for Agassi, Federer, Blake, Ginepri, Henman, Verdasco, Djokovic, Henin-Hardenne, Davenoprt, Dementieva, Pierce, Murray, the Bryan twins, Grosjean, Clement, Navratilova, Berdych, Groenefeld, there are probably a few people that I'm missing.

FREDDY
11-14-2005, 06:28 PM
WTA at staples last year and this year. causing a riot. almost got kicked out for davenport

Jack the Hack
11-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I went to the 1992 Davis Cup final and watched the US "dream team" of Jim Courier, Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, and Pete Sampras beat the Swiss team of Marc Rosset and Jakob Hlasek.

In 1996 or so, I went to a Senior Tour event and saw Jimmy Connors verses Mel Purcell and Bjorn Borg verses John Lloyd.

I plan on getting to a Masters Series and a Slam within the next few years so I can catch Federer, Roddick, Safin, Nadal, and Hewitt playing up close.

moore than just a gun
11-15-2005, 01:47 AM
federer in his backyard

henman in my backyard

rochus in my backyard

johansson in his backyard

(i love SW...)

19 yo... brazil sweet! :)

HeNmAiNiA
11-17-2005, 07:55 PM
i saw tim henman at wimbledon in 2004. and james blake, rainer schuttler and andy roddick at the australian open.

Fred The Red
11-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Antwerp (nineties): Courier, Sampras, Becker, Ivanisevic, Stich, Kraijecek,
Pioline, Rios, Rosset,...

Rotterdam: Federer, Hewitt, Henman, Ferrero, Mirnyi, Dent, Kiefer...

Eindhoven (senior tour): McEnroe, Muster, Cash, Leconte, Forget, Wilander...

Davis Cup: Kafelnikov, Roddick, Blake, Rochus,...

Vamz
11-17-2005, 11:52 PM
I have played on the same court with: Mardy Fish, Todd Martin, Robby Ginepri, Andy Roddick, James Blake, and Paul Annacone.:mrgreen:

croatian sensation
11-19-2005, 03:10 PM
It's great that the replies in this thread are a virtual record of Open Era tennis (as played in N. America, anyway). What's lacking is the European perspective. Anyone. please?

It has a lot to do with where are you from :-)
For me, it's claycourters only :-) (since Croatia Open is being played on clay) I've already written their names somewhere on this thread...anyway, Croatia got another ATP tournament (indoors..the one from Milan has moved to Zagreb) so my chances of seeing even more players are improving :-)

vantagepoint
11-19-2005, 04:30 PM
So many I can hardly quantify. All sorts - different, indifferent, enthusiastic, diffident and quite a lot in between.

Lleytonmania
11-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Well, I ahev a long list:
I saw:
Davydenko, Federer, Gasquet, Ljubicic, Ancic, Santoro, Llodra, Paes, Zimonjic, Björkman and Mirnyi at the ATP Masters Series at Hamburg this year.
And I saw my darling Dementieva, Myskina, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Schnyder, Dechy, Davenport, Sprem, Petrova, Jancovic and Likhovtseva...all at Filderstadt this year. Ohh, I nearly forgot beautiful Hantuchova!

croatian sensation
11-20-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by srv vlly
safin, gasquet, federer, roddick, hewitt, bryan bros, nadal, clijsters, pierce, serena, venus, sharapova, ljubcic, ancic, henman, gaudio, donald young, myrni, bjorkman, agassi, blake, ginepri, coria, guga, nalbandian, srichipan, lopez, gonzalez, conchita martinez, vaidaisova. I work as a ballboy at the us open

wow, that must be some experience. real life is much different than on TV.

I agree...maybe I could try in Madrid :-)...but I'm not sure they would take me as a ball girl...I don't have a D-cup ;-)
Anyway, I've watched matches from the ATP section..and yeah, watching Moya play while JCF is standing next to your seat and Volandri is sitting in front of you is a nice experience :-)

ssuHeartsRivald
11-20-2005, 07:05 AM
i saw Schiavone, Pascual and Davenport in Bali this Sep in Wismilak International Tourny. wow, davenport so amazing tall....i must leap up to starring her eyes. I saw her w/ Pascual in Four Seasons when cooking session soon to held.

PierceCheng
11-30-2005, 03:32 AM
I saw Mary Pierce in Hong Kong Ladies Challenge 2002.

janipyt05
11-30-2005, 03:37 AM
justine, tim, keifer,williams sisters, hantucova at wimbledon 2003

moore than just a gun
11-30-2005, 04:12 AM
venus and srebotnok

clijsters AND (some skinny french gal with glasses)

and of course

the mighty martina !

nadalfederersampras
11-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I saw Andy Roddick at the Western and Southern Financial whatever tournament. One person criticized him for firing Gilbert. Andy was ****ed. I've also seen many other players.

nadalfederersampras
11-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I saw Andy Roddick at the Western and Southern Financial whatever tournament. One person criticized him for firing Gilbert and Andy was ****ed. I've also seen many other players.

nadalfederersampras
11-30-2005, 04:44 PM
I saw Andy Roddick at the Western and Southern Financial whatever tournament. One person criticized him for firing Gilbert and Andy was ****ed. I couldn't agree with that person any more than I do. I've also seen many other players.

nadalfederersampras
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
sorry bout triple post:(

Ronaldo
11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Walked with Muhammad Ali for one block when I was 11. Played dubs with John Lloyd for a set 6 yrs ago at a pro-am. Not far from Cincy and Indy so pro tourneys a must in the summer. Sat 3 ft from Natalia Zvereva playing dubs.

doriancito
12-01-2005, 06:47 AM
mariano puerta at my club's court #1 some other challenger players too

Terre Battu
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
I've seen:

Agassi, Chang, Sampras, Sabatini, Martina, Shriver, Graf, Seles, Sanchez-Vicario, and Philopousis (sp.?).

Most memorable moments:

Seeing Seles practice indoors before she returned to the tour after the stabbing.

Meeting Graf at a benefit --- I was complemented on my killer slice and speed!!!

VamosRafa
01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
As I've said before, I've seen the top players play at many events over the past 7 years or so. I've seen Sampras, Agassi, Graf, Seles, etc. Even Kournikova. (But I'm dating myself there. *lol*)

Perhaps we should look at a thread to best identify the best events to see your favorite players. I definitely have views on that. Some events are better than others for seeing the current crop of players, and I think that would be good for fans here. Any thoughts??