PDA

View Full Version : Sound familiar?

10isDad
11-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Boy, this is getting to be a common theme...Y'all should just make this your standard form letter:

Dear Coach,

I am a junior who wants to play college tennis. I have not played any/very many tournaments so I have no ranking/a low ranking.

I have, however, looked through the overly vague descriptions in the NTRP program and have determined that, although I do not play competitively, I am a strong 4.0 to 4.5 player.

I know youíre probably busy coaching your team, traveling to nearby national tournaments to scout established competitive players, recruiting known commodities based upon their USTA or ITF ranking. But you should drop all that and give me a tennis scholarship because, as I have said, I am a self-rated strong 4.0 to 4.5 player!!!

My parents pay taxes, and even though your general athletic scholarships are not funded by tax dollars, but rather through revenues made from football, private donations and endowment funds, you should give that scholarship to me because Iím American. Even though you have tremendous pressure on you to field the very best squad you can, and even though most US players wonít give you the time of day because youíre the coach of a relatively unknown college, you should drop all those foreigners and bank on my strong, self-rated 4.0 to 4.5 abilities.

slice bh compliment
11-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Oh, and I use a 'players' frame with lead tape...and tennis is my life, so please respond asap, 'cause it's all about me.

EDIT:
I don't blame these kids for asking opinions....and trying.
I do think some of them whine.

Maybe they're thinking they'll be discovered on this internet forum. It's kind of what the whole internet/accessibility thing has come to....Like a YouTube sensation.....'cause college coaches lurk here or something?

MLoutch
11-18-2008, 06:58 AM
CLASSIC -

The other sad thing is they target top D1 programs??

I'm happy we are done as my daughter sign her LOI Friday last week and she received her formal acceptance letter yesterday (she did early admission) - so now we can focus on enjoying the season and hope she doesn't do something dumb and get hurt.:)

Gemini
11-18-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't know if I'd necessarily call it sad as it's just unrealistic. What I tell a lot of the kids that post the "how do I" and "do you think I can" questions related to playing college tennis is that it's all about results. Just as you work hard in school to get the grades that will allow you to gain entrance to a good college/university, results and measured performance on the court will translate into opportunities to play for a good collegiate team.

BigBUBBA
11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
CLASSIC -

The other sad thing is they target top D1 programs??

I'm happy we are done as my daughter sign her LOI Friday last week and she received her formal acceptance letter yesterday (she did early admission) - so now we can focus on enjoying the season and hope she doesn't do something dumb and get hurt.:)

Good for her!Where is she going?

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
11-18-2008, 08:00 AM
This series of posts is nothing compared to a college site dedicated to everyone climbing over each other for the sacred right to go to an "Ivy" school.
Everyone writes in "Rank me" and then they post their little H.S. resume and asks where they fall in the food chain.... At first glance it seems humorous, but there are THOUSANDS of posts about this obsession- There is even a parents section, and frankly seems a little obsessive to me.

COLLEGECONFIDENTIAL.

I won't say my opinion of recent "Ivy" grads mentioned as "low hanging fruit" and "idiots" by a venture capitalist on retirement, but I hope this thread doesn't degenerate to that "rank me" business. Seems sillier than the Juniors section and sponsorship.

I keep bringing up posts by "Coach Carter" but only because he has hit the bullseye on so many issues; Including the delusion(s) that somehow making a partial scholarship in tennis is a free ticket - But instead the demands are just getting started in an extremely difficult balancing act for the (little) money it's worth.

BigBUBBA
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
This series of posts is nothing compared to a college site dedicated to everyone climbing over each other for the sacred right to go to an "Ivy" school.
Everyone writes in "Rank me" and then they post their little H.S. resume and asks where they fall in the food chain.... At first glance it seems humorous, but there are THOUSANDS of posts about this obsession- There is even a parents section, and frankly seems a little obsessive to me.

COLLEGECONFIDENTIAL.

I won't say my opinion of recent "Ivy" grads mentioned as "low hanging fruit" and "idiots" by a venture capitalist on retirement, but I hope this thread doesn't degenerate to that "rank me" business. Seems sillier than the Juniors section and sponsorship.

I keep bringing up posts by "Coach Carter" but only because he has hit the bullseye on so many issues; Including the delusion(s) that somehow making a partial scholarship in tennis is a free ticket - But instead the demands are just getting started in an extremely difficult balancing act for the (little) money it's worth.

That is so on the spot...when i'm busy applying for colleges, I won't get sucked into the Ivy crap.People need to get it knocked into their heads that there are some great schools that are as good, if not better than the Ivies both academically and athletically.

MLoutch
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Good for her!Where is she going?

Mount St. Mary's - D1 school in Emmitsburg, MD - she signed to play Lacrosse (she is the 48th ranked recruit in the country) - she has an invite to walk on the Tennis Team - Her plan is to play both but based that both are pretty much year round sports and she is getting athletic scholarship for LAX I'm not to sure she can do both - but we will see.
Her final 3 were Cal, Denver and The Mount and she decided on the smaller school and that she wanted to play for coach Wescott.

Coach Carter
11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey, he emailed me too...I get a few of those a week...serious ones though...

:)

Boy, this is getting to be a common theme...Y'all should just make this your standard form letter:

Dear Coach,

I am a junior who wants to play college tennis. I have not played any/very many tournaments so I have no ranking/a low ranking.

I have, however, looked through the overly vague descriptions in the NTRP program and have determined that, although I do not play competitively, I am a strong 4.0 to 4.5 player.

I know youíre probably busy coaching your team, traveling to nearby national tournaments to scout established competitive players, recruiting known commodities based upon their USTA or ITF ranking. But you should drop all that and give me a tennis scholarship because, as I have said, I am a self-rated strong 4.0 to 4.5 player!!!

My parents pay taxes, and even though your general athletic scholarships are not funded by tax dollars, but rather through revenues made from football, private donations and endowment funds, you should give that scholarship to me because Iím American. Even though you have tremendous pressure on you to field the very best squad you can, and even though most US players wonít give you the time of day because youíre the coach of a relatively unknown college, you should drop all those foreigners and bank on my strong, self-rated 4.0 to 4.5 abilities.

Coach Carter
11-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Manfred...thanks for the kind words.

I too really want the kids and parents on here to realize that the tennis "scholarship" dream is a tough one. The wiser decision...work hard on your academics and your tennis...give yourself a ton of OPTIONS by being a good student. Once you have that part handled, then find a school where you can "fit" with the team. And when I say fit...I mean, actually be something important to that team.

Gemini
11-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Manfred...thanks for the kind words.

I too really want the kids and parents on here to realize that the tennis "scholarship" dream is a tough one. The wiser decision...work hard on your academics and your tennis...give yourself a ton of OPTIONS by being a good student. Once you have that part handled, then find a school where you can "fit" with the team. And when I say fit...I mean, actually be something important to that team.

Completely agree. My nephew is a junior in HS and he's looking to play college tennis. He's narrowed it to 3 schools, but what his dad has impressed upon him is that he MAY get a some sort of athletic scholarship offer but he does not want that to be his only option in terms of paying for school. Luckily, my nephew really tends to listen to his parents' advice and he's managed to line up several academic scholarships and grants to pay for school so he's in good shape.

Too many times, juniors attach some sort of prestige to being on athletic scholarship when you're a student-athlete when it's much more prestigious to be a student-athlete who's on academic scholarship. I didn't get the slightest bit of athletic scholarship for tennis until until my 3rd year in college, but I had academic scholarships paying my way from Day 1.