PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Exercises

dufferok
03-31-2004, 05:30 AM
Anyone know of any good wrist exercises or conditioning that might help with wrist pain?

Any links to websites would be appreciated as well!

Thanks!

borisboris
03-31-2004, 06:40 AM
I use a light dumbbell and do reverse curls-sideways curls & regular curls.

AAAA
03-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Dufferok, Your wrist pain if it is caused by playing tennis can be due to any combination of:

1) Incorrect technique

2) Stiff racquet

3) Too heavy a racquet for your game

4) Strings too stiff

5) weak wrists

bruce nissenbaum
04-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing any exercise, strength or flexibility, until pain is gone. Try ice, rest, and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (that you know you are not allergic to) until there is no pain.

Several exercises you can work on for strength:

1- starting with a very light weight (1# can of veggie or fruit works well), leave your arm fully extended at your side palm forward holding can or other weight at the end and perpendicular to your arm. Lift the weight using only wrist action (you will feel this in the forearm) until can or weight is pointing up and your hand is perpendicular to your arm. Return to starting position. Repeat. Slowly, over time, work your way to a 5# hand weight for 18 reps by increasing the reps with lighter weight, then increase the weight, drop the reps and then slowly increase until you eventually reach 5#-18 reps.

2-arm fully extended at your side palm facing back hold can or weight at the end and and perpendicular to your arm. Lift the weight using only wrist action (you wll feel this in your other forearm muscles) until the can or weight is pointing up and your hand is perpendicular to your arm. Apply same idea as to increasing weight and reps until you reach 5#-18 reps.

3-get a wood rod 3' long by 1" diameter; drill a whole in the center; attach a long shoelace (about distance from waist to floor) through the whole and tie a light donut weight to the end of the shoelace. Hold the rod with hands about waist width apart palms down, the bottom of the weight touching or just above the floor. Using wrist action (you will again feel this in the forearms), raise the weight to the rod by rolling the hands forward. Lower the weight by rolling hands backward and relift the weight by rolling the hands backward. Start with 1 set of 1# and very gradually work your way up to 6 sets of 3#.

4-repeat exercise #3 holding rod-weight system with palms up.

These exercises will strengthen your wrists and forearms.

For flexibility do the following after weight work and play:

1-with right palm up, use your left hand to pull gently downward on each finger of the right hand; bend the wrist forward and use left hand to gently push the right thumb toward the forearm.

2-with right palm up, use left hand to gently push fingers down away from you; then push down with fingers toward you; and finish by using left hand on top of base knuckles, palm down, to push hand toward forearm.

3-lock your fingers with arms extended in front of you and stretch your arms forward. While in the stretched position, gently pull your left hand back while keeping the right extended. Reverse.

4-finally, do a series of wrist rolls.

These flexibility exercises should keep muscles and tendons supple.

Please don't try any of this if you don't feel I've explained the exercises clearly enough. If you would like more info, feel free to email me: bbniss@att.net

And I would be inclined to consider the mechanical aspects mentioned by previous poster.

Hope this will prove helpful.

dennis1188
04-10-2004, 08:12 PM
in addition to the excellent above exercises, i recommend throwing/catching w/underhand motion' a 11 lb. 'medicine ball' to a partner 30-45 mins. approx. 8ft apart. This is a good 'free weight' exercise 4 the hands/wrists and upper body.

dufferok
04-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies and very informative information regarding wrist exercises. All is appreciated! Thank you!

Tomek
05-19-2004, 12:36 PM
I had wrist pain for half a year. It wasn't very big pain, so I played since I'm a coach...
The exercise that helped he very much is something like this. You have to stand straight. Now, try to connect with your hands like you were prying. But!!, try to do it at your back! Your fingers should point in the sky (just as usual). If you can't do this try to connect with your fingertips pointing upward. Now press them against each other, resist just for few seconds. Take a break and repeat 3-5 times. Do it few times each day. After few days flexibility of your wrists should increase significantly. Also pain should decrease!
I hope that you understand...