PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Playing Musicians!

BatCode
02-15-2005, 01:08 AM
Who out there can nail a riff as well as a forehand? and please no tennis raquet-guitar players! I play Guitar and Piano, and love the music of Steely Dan.

Phil
02-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Then you're already two strikes down in my book.

Steely Dan = pretentious, hackneyed music created by soulless studio hacks.

And, in their prime, the arrogant little sh*ts refused to tour (because they weren't able to transport an entire studio on stage). But, that's just MHO.

BatCode
02-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Then you're already two strikes down in my book.

Steely Dan = pretentious, hackneyed music created by soulless studio hacks.

And, in their prime, the arrogant little sh*ts refused to tour (because they weren't able to transport an entire studio on stage). But, that's just MHO.

Phil How dare you insult the honour of some of the greatest songwriters of all time, their music is drenched in soul, I think you just don't listen to enough material, if you did, you'd appreciate what they do. They are beyond perfection.

ChrisNC
02-15-2005, 04:56 AM
I really wish I could play guitar. I've always wanted to. When he's in town, I play (tennis) with a guy who's wrapping up his first album. I envy people who are coordinated enough to play guitar. I'm totally uncoordinated on my left side, which is why it's amazing that I've been able to handle a 2-handed backhand for so long.

Ace
02-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I started playing guitar when I was 15. I won several regional competitions in my mid to late teens, and played in a few bands from late teens to early twenties. I wasn't into sports at all.

That said.....Damn! What a waste of time!...I wish I would have been playing tennis instead, I'd be a lot better by now. I haven't even picked up my guitars in the past 10 years, all I want to do is play tennis.

I'd trade in my guitar skills for some real tennis skills any day.

Oh well, maybe if I played tennis as a kid, I'd be wishing I could play the guitar right now.

Kaptain Karl
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
The grass is always greener, huh?

I studied piano for ten years ... and on a good day I play like someone who played for about six months. Ugh!!!

- KK

gmlasam
02-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Who out there can nail a riff as well as a forehand? and please no tennis raquet-guitar players! I play Guitar and Piano, and love the music of Steely Dan.
I play guitar as well. Been playing for about 20 years. I have some guitar collection as well, 1967 Gibson Les Paul gold top, 1962 Fender Stratocaster, 1983 '57 reissue Fender Stratocaster, cherry sunburst. 1969 Marshall half stack 100 watt, 1992 Mesa Boogie 75 watt combo, 1983 Fender Superchamp, and I have tons of pedals, sucha as VOX crybaby from the 60's, MXR, and other BOSS gadgets.

I play mostly Hardrock, and Jazz and fusion.

I started when I was about 8, taking classical guitar.

MChong
02-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, I play the piano and have been playing for around 9 years?

Phil
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Phil How dare you insult the honour of some of the greatest songwriters of all time, their music is drenched in soul, I think you just don't listen to enough material, if you did, you'd appreciate what they do. They are beyond perfection.

Ahhh...okay, I stand corrected. Sorry.

Brettolius
02-16-2005, 05:49 AM
i've played drums for about 13 years, and a little guitar. kind of hard to escape the traps cuz my dad and grandfather both play drums (grandfather DID play drums). play rock, fusion, and jazz (before i played an instrument, i wondered why anyone dug jazz) oh, and of course for a drummer, it's always fun to bust out some FUNK!

backcourt
02-16-2005, 06:06 AM
I've been playing guitar on & off for about 18 years and am all self-taught so I've never advanced beyond basic r&b cover tunes Neil Young etc, and basic blues leads. But next to tennis (& skiing) its hard to beat jamming with others at parties or family gatherings for a good time. I also play drums on those rare occassions when there is a set available to play.

Steely Dan - the best band of the 70's, and a great alternative to the disco of that era.

splink779
02-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I love to play guitar, I have been for probably 4 years now. I love playing shows with my band, (link in my sig) and along with tennis it is one of the most fun things in the world for me to do.

bee
02-19-2005, 09:26 AM
I've been playing guitar for about 40 years now. Started when I was twelve and I'm grateful for my parents allowing me to pursue this when I was young. Mostly, I play steel string acoustics and sing along some. It's really a great complement to playing tennis, swimming and weight lifting as it allows for noncompetitive solitary expression and reflection. And, of course, requires dexterity and timing in ways that are somewhat similar to athletic activities. I always tell younger people it's good to have a sport and a musical instrument that you love. It's just one more thing that makes life enjoyable.

Stuck
02-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Play guitar and I am a teaching pro. Dave Matthews Band is awsome and they play tennis as well.

bismark
02-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Play guitar and I am a teaching pro. Dave Matthews Band is awsome and they play tennis as well.

Carlos Santana plays tennis too. It was featured in Tennis Magazine some time ago. Apparently he dissed Martina Hingis, and some irate fans later wrote in to diss him in return.

louis netman
02-22-2005, 09:41 PM
I played classical guitar at age seven and quit at age twelve to play serious tournament tennis. Picked up a guitar again as a young adult and built a recording studio from the ground up. Wrote, performed, engineered and produced a catalog of 40 original rock songs. Performed live shows in the 1990s. The music industry changed. Rock is now a teenagers game...no one buys cd's anymore...I spend most of my free time playing tennis now...

ShooterMcMarco
02-22-2005, 09:56 PM
i'm teaching myself the guitar, i took piano and drumming lessons, and i played the trumpet for 7 years

gmlasam
02-23-2005, 04:32 AM
I played classical guitar at age seven and quit at age twelve to play serious tournament tennis. Picked up a guitar again as a young adult and built a recording studio from the ground up. Wrote, performed, engineered and produced a catalog of 40 original rock songs. Performed live shows in the 1990s. The music industry changed. Rock is now a teenagers game...no one buys cd's anymore...I spend most of my free time playing tennis now...
Impressive. So which rockbands or musicans have you engineered and produced for?

Geppetto
03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
My "stringed" instruments include a couple of Dunlop 300G's, a G&L ASAT Special, a Gibson Les Paul Custom, and a Godin LGX. The Dunlops get played "unplugged," while the others run through a few pedals and into a Laney LC50-II tube amp. Have been blasting away at the guitar since the early 70'S, but mostly as a stay-at-home hobby (much to my wife's chagrin...). Probably more than a few similarities in slamming tennis balls against a backboard & pounding loud notes off the bedroom walls ad infiniturm.

Mies
03-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Been playing drums for the past 15 year, bass guitar for 8 or so (but so intensively) and guitar just for kicks (but I kinda suck at it :)......)...... Played in all kinds of bands and ensembles ranging from an old school big band to your archetypical rock cover band..... I feel most at home with old school soul/funk music (James Brown/Tower of Power) and more intelligent rock i.e. Incubus.

I've been playing tennis for (lemme think) about 17-18 years now but I'm afraid I'd have to say that I'm a better drummer than a tennis player :) .......

Regards,
Maurice

Brettolius
03-21-2005, 05:15 AM
mies, how about david garibaldi, the funkiest most syncopated grooves EVER! glad to hear hear someone else throwin' out props to TOP!

Camilio Pascual
03-21-2005, 05:52 AM
I bought a guitar and wanted to play like Eric Clapton.
Then I found out I didn't want to go through the hundreds of hours of hard work to LEARN how to play guitar like Eric Clapton. So I became a below average bass player for a year or so.

Mies
03-21-2005, 06:05 AM
Brettolius,

Garibaldi has cooked up some great grooves indeed. In fact, my drum teacher was teaching me from one of his books. I forgot the title, but it was a very usefull book with a nice concept. Take a groove and then i.e. shift the snare part 1/16th and keep the rest the same. Play that for a while, then shift the snare part yet another 1/16th etc till you come full circle. Then do the same for the bass part etc. It was a great book for learning how to play those funky grooves of his :) ... A bit frustrating at times but hey, no pain no gain :) ........

Defunkt has some pretty wicked grooves in odd time as well.....oh and the list goes on and on but let's not bore the other posters on here ....hehe

Nice to see another person around with some knowledge of drumming ...

Regards,
Maurice

james_R
03-21-2005, 07:15 AM
My stringed instruments include: Head i.prestige MP (sorry, wrong instrument!) Brook Taw steel string concert guitar, Lakewood M1C Nylon, Fender Mex standard Strat (green) with Kinman AVN Blues pickups. The acoustics are played through a AEG Compact 60 and the Fender through a Fender Delux 90. If I had to choose, it'd be music anyday, no question over tennis.

Michael Musok
03-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I started playing guitar at 15 and switched to bass at 17. Went on the road with a good group and had a ball for a few years. Through the years I have played with a number of good groups and musicians and have established a well respected reputation as a good bass player. Now at the age of 57 and retired, I play with a blues band and have a great time with it. Just bought myself a $1700.00 Earnie Ball Music Man Sterling bass not to mention the cost of my bass amp and cabinets. Anyway, been playing tennis for about 20 years and realize that I will never play tennis as well as I play the bass. In fact, when I have just played like crap and lost a match, I look foreword to straping on my bass and playing a gig. It's something I know I do well every time, unlike my up and sometimes down tennis playing.

james_R
03-21-2005, 07:59 AM
In fact, when I have just played like crap and lost a match, I look foreword to straping on my bass and playing a gig. It's something I know I do well every time, unlike my up and sometimes down tennis playing.

I know exactly how you feel. If iv'e played some poor tennis, it does'nt really bother me much anymore as I remind myself it's not my No1 thing. I prefer being able to play Clapton, or Jazz or my own compositions to doing well at tennis anyway. It's nice though as it does kind of help my tennis in that I think I relax more than I would if I did'nt value my guitar playing more. With that calmness on court I think I play better tennis than if I was getting uptight about it or taking it too seriously.

MegacedU
03-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Flute and keyboard. 7 years.

Dedans Penthouse
03-28-2005, 07:56 AM
Brettolius,

Garibaldi has cooked up some great grooves indeed. In fact, my drum teacher was teaching me from one of his books. I forgot the title, but it was a very usefull book with a nice concept. Take a groove and then i.e. shift the snare part 1/16th and keep the rest the same. Play that for a while, then shift the snare part yet another 1/16th etc till you come full circle. Then do the same for the bass part etc. It was a great book for learning how to play those funky grooves of his :) ... A bit frustrating at times but hey, no pain no gain :) ........

Defunkt has some pretty wicked grooves in odd time as well.....oh and the list goes on and on but let's not bore the other posters on here ....hehe

Nice to see another person around with some knowledge of drumming ...

Regards,
Maurice

Mies: what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test???

Answer: drool
(wink! - just kidding)

Piano: wrote my 1st song ("Chinese Lullaby" in F#) for my mom at 5, picked up drums and guitar at 10 (parents put the ki-bosh on the drums-sigh) and I've done studio work for both keyboards and vocals (LP/CD's, commercials, demos) for the past 20 years or so.

Most memorable "musical thrill" :
Landing a gig at the Hathaway bar in Manhattan after lying about my age (they wanted at least 21--I was 19 at the time). Anyway, the "Hathaway" at that time was a pretty low-keyed, exclusive "watering hole" that catered to rock 'n rollers. Who walked in one night but Ray Davies (Kinks). Being a fan of them, I launched into a Kinks "set" and ended up playing and singing with Davies until about 3 in the morning (we both got smashed drinking Schaefer beer). Also, have played/recorded for Jesse Colin Young (The Youngbloods), and once had a mid-day "inpromptu" jam with Rod Steward at the Palace Hotel in Madrid (in the "closed" dining room which had a grand piano). He was staying in the same hotel (Palace) and was in Madrid to receive his 1st gold record award in Espana. My "impromptu" jam resulted in an invitation (by "Billy" his road mgr.) to a "Gold record party/celebration" the following evening---I was the few "non-Euro" types there, i.e. I didn't have 10 pounds of jell in my hair nor was I wearing patent leather shoes (smirk). I still do "work-for-hire" (on the side) for the owner of a record label that's based in the Miami area (former N.Y. friend). Am going down to Bal Harbour, Fla. a week from today (I recommend the Sheraton Bal Harbour--stay outta the main bldg., get a villa) and while there (aside from vacationing and recording), I'm going to go to a tennis resort that's nearby in order to take a couple of lessons with a former ATP pro whom I take lessons with every year when I go down there (out of deference to him-no name, please). He is former ATP player player who has a couple of tour titles to his credit, and he is also a musician who once made a music video with McEnroe, Peter Rennert and Mel Purcell for a song that he (Pro "X") wrote that was released in Europe but not in the U.S.. After he gives me a lesson, I "return the favor" and will give him a quick music lesson "on the keys" in the lounge of the resort that he's the tennis director. But enough of my pretentious, f@g-o-la name dropping already......;-)

Guitars: Rickenbacker J325, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, Vox Mark VI (I painted this sucker "green" -- big mistake) Martin and Ovation accoustics.

Amps: Vox AC-30 TBX, Fender Twin Reverb, Roland (white) SC-100.

Keys: Vox Super Continental Combo Organ, Technics sx-PR702 Digital, Yamaha SY77.

Drums: Pintech ERoadPro.

It gets worse......

Stupidest MUSICAL Stunt: When I was a teenager, we (the band "The Licketts") played a high school party (a private school that the lead guitarist/neighbor went to) at his house (big, old Victorian house with a huge basement). Anyway when the band (who was introduced as "The Licketts featuring Myra Breckenridge" took the stage, I (on a dare) strode over to my piano and organ set up wearing nothing but an American flag drapped around me like a cape. I (with a flourish) swirled the flag around and then drapped it over the the piano and we (the band) went into our first number.....that's right, the G-Damn piano player was naked. The football coach who was one of the chaperones upstairs, came down to hear our first number (a good guy) and he actually waited till we finished the tune before he walked over and chuckled "are you outta your mind (dedans)?!....come on, put yer clothes on, will ya please?"

The situation was pretty funny. A lot of the guys were howling and laughing and a lot of the girls were (I guess) "curious" as well. Anyway, as stupid as this "picture" must've looked (a band with one guy standing there (in between songs) buck naked and "schwinging-in-the-breeze"), I remember raising the boom stand and speaking into the microphone something to the effect of: "thank you and thank you for coming (smirk)....before we play our next number, I've been told to put my clothes on; this'll only take a minute" at which point I slid on a pair of jeans and a pullover and we promptly launched into our next song with the band fully clothed and wearing big grins (actually played the rest of the set barefooted). I mean anything at that point that I could've said into the microphone was going to sound pretty funny given the absurdity of the situation.

Now even though this would probably qualify as a "stupid pet-trick" in anybody's book, and as dumb as this stunt might've seemed, I would nevertheless HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT should you ever want to meet a "make-out" girl to well....make-out with..... Yes, there were a number of the "prissy" girls at that party who were probably thinking: "no way would I ever want to date a guy who 'drops trow' at the bat of an eyelash" but on the other hand, there were a lot of those other girls who were "curious" and who kind of dug the fact that I had no qualms about stutting my "schstuff" in front of them and, at the same time, not having it distract me from "performance" piano-wise or vocal-wise. Also, given the fact that this was performed in a musical setting, this "stunt" imho(!) was a cut above your run-of-the-mill streaking. Long story short: there wasn't a shortage of girls who wanted to strike up a conversation after our set was over---it worked and I guarantee that it'll work for you too (provided you don't look like some cherub-freak in the "all-together--lol!) . When you do eventully "hook up" with your pick of the litter, "breaking-the-ice" and starting up a conversation with "Ms. Cutie Cupcake" is a snap--talk about conversation fodder! Talk about on a "silver platter!" The girls invariably (laughingly) will ask you what prompted that kind of stunt, at which point you can take it a zillion different directions: from the "straight" (wink!) "I was out to make a serious, creative statement...smirk!)" to the absurd: "forget about my birthday suit Janet, what did you think of my shoes?!!" Moral of story: It's important to make a good 1st impression (lol!), I guess it's because 1st impressions are lasting impressions?? - lol!

When I reflect back to that night ...... I ask myself: What the hell was I thinking?!......what the heck, I was young at the time (and crazy)....but what the hell, no regrets!.......I mean, talk about "pick-'o-the-litter" city.......... (wistful half-smirk)

mabuhay
03-28-2005, 08:40 AM
I play guitar as well. Been playing for about 20 years. I have some guitar collection as well, 1967 Gibson Les Paul gold top, 1962 Fender Stratocaster, 1983 '57 reissue Fender Stratocaster, cherry sunburst. 1969 Marshall half stack 100 watt, 1992 Mesa Boogie 75 watt combo, 1983 Fender Superchamp, and I have tons of pedals, sucha as VOX crybaby from the 60's, MXR, and other BOSS gadgets.

I play mostly Hardrock, and Jazz and fusion.

I started when I was about 8, taking classical guitar.

wow! nice collection of guitars you have. i wish i can afford to buy some classic guitars, too :(

anyway, the instrument i play is guitar although i haven't picked up my guitar in years now. i've been busy trying to improve my tennis game :D

skittles
03-28-2005, 10:51 AM
i dont know about you guys... but Tennis IS music.. to me it is... nothing is more soothing than hearing a nicely struck ball... DAMME.... other than tennis... i play guitar.. not very good but whatever i still play

Safina
03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I've played guitar for 10 years.. pretty good when I make the time for it. But with all of these hobbies and work, it gets a little dusty.

I bought a bunch of home recording hardware/software, and I am sad that I have only been able to use it 3 times this year. It is SO cool that you can make decent recordings on a PC now.

I do think there is a strange connection to guitars and stringed instruments....

ragnaROK
03-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Piano for 13 years, Drums for 7 years and Tennis for 6 years. Currently messing around with steel drums.

federer_nadal
03-29-2005, 02:23 AM
yeh , i play guitar and tennis, gmaslam has a sick collection of guitars.

johnmcc516
03-29-2005, 06:29 AM
I have been playing guitar, piano, and the trombone longer than I've been playing tennis.

Tenny
03-30-2005, 05:11 PM
I really wish I could play guitar. I've always wanted to. When he's in town, I play (tennis) with a guy who's wrapping up his first album. I envy people who are coordinated enough to play guitar. I'm totally uncoordinated on my left side, which is why it's amazing that I've been able to handle a 2-handed backhand for so long.

I play guitar(Ac, Elec, and bass), drums, and program synthesizer (cannot play piano/keyboard so I just program it...bigggest regret of my life-not to learn piano, begin tennis too late...).

ChrisNC, playing guitar isn't that difficult. I still think guitar is one of the most user-friendly instruments in the world. If you want to be like Hendrix or Clapton, you better start a lesson asap when you are young. But if you just want to sing with accompaning guitar strum or some patterns, you can learn it yourself. Sore fingertips of course but it's quite easy to learn.

nViATi
03-30-2005, 05:18 PM
cello 4 years and going
tennis a bit less than a year and going
:)

Muse
03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
I've played guitar for 3 years, bass for 2, and piano for almost 10. I've also played a lot of other insturments along the way for a year or so, but i couldn't play any of them now.

spam
03-31-2005, 03:09 AM
I was "encouraged" to take up classical guitar and tennis 33 years ago at the age of 8-hated both with a passion and remember sabotaging my guitar by cutting the strings off at night.Discovered rock music at 12 and got myself a cheap telecaster copy,played all through college in various bands then more seriously in early twenties.Played various national radio sessions never signed to a label though and eventually got a" proper" job.Hve owned various guitars including Ibanez,Charvel,Strats,John Diggins made me an explorer,Paul Reed Smith (with a nice figured maple 10 top)and a beautiful Les Paul Heritage.Used to woodshed 6 hours a day ,now I can afford nice axes and have kids I never play.Used to rate Larry Carlton Jeff Beck Lukather Steve Morse plus a million others ...........I think I played so much when I was younger that got bored with the guitar although i still love all types of music .My obsessions these days are purely tennis ,skiing and my family ,although not necessarily in that order

michaellashan
04-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Up until last year I played guitar in a band called Cockfight :p (metal crashing into new wave fueled by alcohol :confused: ) They are still around and touring, but I got to old for that lifestyle and decided to follow my love of tennis and the pursuit of a career teaching tennis.

My gear includes, Fender Tele Custom ala Keith Richards, ESP Eclipse, Danelectro D3, Marshall JCM 800 half stack with slant cab, Fender solid state combo amp, Seagull acoustic guitar and a room full of pedals and assorted gear.

I love to write my own music and play around with my guitars and FX, but I could never be able to choose between music and tennis.

Thank you for posting this thread, its awesome to see how many musicians we have on this board.

Michael

moosryan
04-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I've played piano for 10 years, and have played drums for 6. I play in a band called adopt a highway. www.adoptahighwayband.com

MegacedU
04-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I REALLY wish I could sing well. I mean I sing anyway - but I sound awful. Break windows, mirrors etc.

Proud Pusher
04-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Played drums for about 10 years during 60's and 70's, mostly clubs, weddings, etc doing mostly top 40. Thought I was pretty hot stuff at the time, but looking back boy was I bad! Tended to over play everything, got bored just laying down the basic beat, fills everywhere!

Sold my 5 piece Ludwigs for $500 bucks cause I needed money. Would love to have them back to just play along to the radio!

Brettolius
04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
proud pusher-i know the feeling man!! get bored laying down just a 2 and 4 man, need some fills! but i am guilty of overplaying too, but that's the crappy thing about being a drummer man. you gotta sit back there and watch everyone else go off, and you're expected to "hold down the fort." well, screw that! we wanna have fun too. but i guess that's where jazz comes in, it's perfectly acceptable to tear it up on drums in jazz (just gotta get the whole "flow" down.

Proud Pusher
04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah, Only learned later if life that a large part of playing drums well was learning when "not" to play.

If you listen to any studio drummer, they have it down, never over do it, I just always felt I should be playing something "more"!

Classic example of just laying it down is Ringo Starr. I however never classified him as a world class musician . Don't think he could be in the same league as a good jazz drummer.?

Phil
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah, Only learned later if life that a large part of playing drums well was learning when "not" to play.

If you listen to any studio drummer, they have it down, never over do it, I just always felt I should be playing something "more"!

Classic example of just laying it down is Ringo Starr. I however never classified him as a world class musician . Don't think he could be in the same league as a good jazz drummer.?

Ringo wasn't as technically proficiant as the average club jazz player (not to mention someone like Charlie Watts or Ginger Baker-drummers with jazz roots), but he was doing stuff at the time that no other drummer had done before. Not to take anything away from him, because he was solid, but the fact that he was innovating may have had more to do with the music he was playing behind, which crossed into new realms-he just followed along (but not ANY drummer could have done this). McCartney's bass playing and musical direction may have also had a bit to do with such original drumming.

Proud Pusher
04-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Well stated Phil, He does deserve more credit than I was ever able to give him, he fit the niche and did it well.

Brettolius
04-08-2005, 05:46 AM
yeah, ringo was very creative and approached things in a very unorthadox way, larry mullen from U2 seems like the newer version of ringo. but the ultimate "laying it down"studio drummer has to be steve gadd, played on all types of albums, notably more mainstream stuff like steely dan and paul simon (fifty ways to leave your lover being one of the most classic grooves), but also various jazz gigs too, like chick corea and al dimeola. the dude has the ultimate "feel", but can also just straight tear it up. good day fella's.

wtennis206
04-08-2005, 05:53 AM
i play guitar, as well as selling vintage guitars. check out www.tlgvintageguitars.com my personal collection is up to around 35 axes.

rock on

Cfidave
04-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Do a little guitar palying myself. Have an American Strat, a 1967 Gibson 12 string acoustic, ( same model Janis Joplin used to play Me and Bobby McGee at Madison Square Garden in '68) and a Fender six string acoustic, for banging around. Oh yeah, forgot, just got a Fender Blues Jr. Amp.

Z-Man
04-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm amazed at how many guitar players are here, but there are some similarities between the skills involved...

I play / sing in a band--half covers, half our tunes. I have a couple of Larrivees, which are killer AC guitars. I also have a Gretsch White Falcon, a Strat, a LP, a ES-335, and a Telesonic, but my favorite is a 80s Strat that once belonged to Jeff Tweedy of Wilco.

I'm bad about collecting guitars and tennis racquets--it's like the same illness--glad to hear others have the same issues.

TommyGun
04-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Played bass for over 20 years now.

Used to be heavily into the music biz. My biggest band, "The Baby Seal Club" got signed to Relativity then the band blew up.

I've done a lot of studio work since, and managed a few bands on the local level.

Some of the bands or artists I still know (and have played with or did shows with):

Vitamin C (when she first was in Eve's Plum)
The Churchills
Monster Magnet
The Smithereens
Amanda Kravat (MarryMeJane days)
Bobby Bandiera (lead guitar for Southside Johnny)

I have found that just about every tennis player has a musical connection. Steve Bellamy, co-founder of the Tennis Channel, had video on MTV and was big in music, as well as Pat Cash and Johnny Mac had a CD. And of course, Johnny Mac is married to a very popular former lead singer of the band Scandal....