PDA

View Full Version : College Calibur?

jbacc
11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm looking to possibly play college tennis, whether it's D3,D2, or D1 I don't really care, I'd like to know if I'm on pace to have any possibilities. Heres some info on me:
-I am a 16 year old Junior in HS playing for a tennis team near seattle
-I am 6'1" and 165 lbs and very quick and athletic
-I have been on varsity freshman,sophomore,and junior(this)year
-I have the best form out of anyone on my team.
-I have good topspin, and slice controll, and my baseline shots are probably in the 80's.
-I can serve accurately (within an inch of my target) in the 90's, and consistently get in my hard serve at around 105mph and
-My main asset is my cut serve. Acording to a few coaches I have the hardest breaking kick(slice) server they have ever seen, which accurately breaks around 5 or 6 feet feet(am capable of having the ball cross from one service box(when it crosses the net) to the edge of the next service box with extreme spin on it.
-I probably average around 5 or 6 aces a set.
-My second serve is very consistent but slow(70's or low 80's im guessin at like a 2% fault rate)
-Freshman year I went 3-0 in matches(Coach let the seniors played in Leagues, and some of them went on to win state competition)
-sophomore year I went 10-2(bounched from #1 and #2 singles, to #1 doubles) and injured my knee before leagues/states
-Junior year(this year) I went 4-0(the lack of matches was due to constant trips to the doctors to get MRI's and check ups on my knee, which they found out I have some wear and tear on the maniscus).

I am currently doing Physical therapy, and my knee feels fine at the moment. So my big question is: If I bounce back and have a good Senior year and go to state, do you think I'll have a chance at any college level teams. I have been told by quite a few coaches/tennis fans that I am a D2/Possibly D1 Calibur player, but I know there may be some more expertise out there.

*Note*I have not played in any USTA events, do you think that will hurt my chances at all?

Let me know what you guys think I should do, thanks :)

jbacc
11-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I have also have not participated in any legitimate tourneys except community ones, and summer league tennis tournaments

Fedace
11-20-2008, 06:16 PM
^^^I am happy to hear that you have the best form in your team......but seriously, in order to get or even be considered for scholarship is to play competitive tennis. Play some USTA events locally and get a solid ranking. Ranking of top 100 in your state would give some consideration. If you are just interested in D3 school, you can do a Walk on trial and make the team that way. You will have to beat guys and move up the latter to make the team and possibly play.

jbacc
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
^^^I am happy to hear that you have the best form in your team......but seriously, in order to get or even be considered for scholarship is to play competitive tennis. Play some USTA events locally and get a solid ranking. Ranking of top 100 in your state would give some consideration. If you are just interested in D3 school, you can do a Walk on trial and make the team that way. You will have to beat guys and move up the latter to make the team and possibly play.
lol, okay. Yeah I get what your saying man, I just haven't found the time to find out where to sign up for any of that stuff.

jbacc
11-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing I'm probably around a 4.75 or so. I also feel kind of hesitant entering these tournaments and possibly being embarassed big time by some kid thats a future pro lol... My school is only around 550 kids big, and around 40 or so play tennis. Our league is also 2a I believe so there may not be as much competition as in some of these USTA tourneys. Are there like guidlines to these tournaments at all because the website made it sound like you enter online and your in regardless.

tennismom42
11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
You need to play some of the USTA tournaments. You are in the Pacific Northwest Conference. Here's the website for your conference. Call &ask for someone in Junior development. They will teach you how sign up for tournaments. http://www.pnw.usta.com/home/default.sps

Daycrawler
11-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing I'm probably around a 4.75 or so. I also feel kind of hesitant entering these tournaments and possibly being embarassed big time by some kid thats a future pro lol... My school is only around 550 kids big, and around 40 or so play tennis. Our league is also 2a I believe so there may not be as much competition as in some of these USTA tourneys. Are there like guidlines to these tournaments at all because the website made it sound like you enter online and your in regardless.
Damn. My Graduating class is 915. Our schools,note,only 10th-12th, is 3600 kids. I like how you prefaced your statement with any college tennis. It's hard to say your chances since your data you provided is subjective based on who you played and so forth. If you could provide a video, we would be able to better assess your abilities.

10isDad
11-21-2008, 01:49 AM
:)To get into college, you should know how to spell "caliber".:)

Note: smiley faces to mean it's just a joke, hotseat!

Joeyg
11-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Oh, I don't know about that! Dr. Fedace continually slays the English language. His inability to spell is quite funny and he claims to have graduated from "Standford".

jaggy
11-21-2008, 06:04 AM
:)To get into college, you should know how to spell "caliber".:)

Note: smiley faces to mean it's just a joke, hotseat!

Not really, just go to classes taught by jock sniffing professors and you will get a 4.0.

Fedace
11-21-2008, 07:32 AM

If you are solid 4.75, then you have a good chance of playing in some D3 or even D2 schools. So just test yourself and play some local tournaments. Play some open level tournaments as well as 16's tourneys. and Yes there are some guidelines as to which section of the Juniors, you might fit in. Just ask the Local USTA Junior coordinator, they are always very helpful, especially for kids looking to play college tennis. but always, keep Academics in mind FIRST, before choosing college. then tennis 2nd.

Kal-El 34
11-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Not really, just go to classes taught by jock sniffing professors and you will get a 4.0.

true i went to a school where academics were very good. we would get what classes we needed to take and then take them to our "athletic advisor" who would let us know which classes to take. Life was a lot easier after that haha