PDA

View Full Version : BC, Johns Hopkins, Fordham, BU

wilsonplayer
11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Hello
I'm 18 years old and I'm currently a very solid junior player (at least on the East Coast). If anyone knows any information about the above tennis programs, please let me know if you think I could make those teams. I have been kept out of tournaments with a few injuries that have healed now and I'm looking to play college tennis at any of those 4 schools. I have some credentials like #1 player in my league, but no real quantitative credentials, besides once I beat a player ranked around 550 in the nation (but I'm not even sure if that means anything). Thanks for the replies.

tennismom42
11-22-2008, 10:38 AM
You don't mention how you are ranked in either the USTA ranking systems or the Tennisrecruiting.net system. These are two tools college recruiters use, but they do consider your wins. If you're healed now, go play some tournaments & get back on the radar. First signing just finished and recruiters are "back to the drawing board" if they didn't get the kids they wanted. 2nd signing is late March or early April. That's the main signing period, so you still have time. Just as soon as you have some big wins, start sending out your letters to coaches listing those wins. Emphasize that & de-emphasize the rankings.

tennismom42
11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Would you consider Farleigh Dickenson? I know that coach is looking & they have spots available.

NickC
11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Are you looking for a scholarship or just looking to play? Hopkins and BC don't offer scholarships, AFAIK. Hopkins is a D-3 school and BC only gives out scholarships for football. Not sure about BU or Fordham though. I have a few friends who go to Fordham and supposedly they're alright.

ClarkC
11-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Are you looking for a scholarship or just looking to play? Hopkins and BC don't offer scholarships, AFAIK. Hopkins is a D-3 school and BC only gives out scholarships for football.

Are you saying that Boston College does not give out scholarships for basketball?

wilsonplayer
11-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, I'm just looking for a spot on the team. No money or anything, I just want to play.

wilsonplayer
11-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't know much tennismom about that school...and I don't have a USTA ranking because of been gone for so long. I don't even necessarily need to be recruited. I was more looking for if any of these teams would take a 5.0 player maybe at a walk on or somehting like that. Bottom line is is if a 5.0 (5.5 hopefully by next fall) would be able to make those teams.

ZoomUltraflight
11-24-2008, 11:03 AM
contact the coaches and see what they might or might no need. If you just want to make the team, you might have a shot at a few places, but if you're expecting to be definitely playing then you might need to ask a lot of questions. I would guess maybe try Hopkins b/c they are Div III and they will have good players, but not as deep as a DI school. One of my friends is going to be playing there next year and is has a pretty decent national ranking (plus he's 6' 4"). So you never know, contact the coaches and see if they need anyone or have any suggestions for you.

hollywood9826
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Theres worse schools you can go to any of those.

As far as Johns Hopkins goes, if it aint lacrosse it gets no media play around here so I couldnt tell you of what I have heard about there tennis.

Heres the roster for the tennis team at Hopkins just try to google the dudes to get rankins and stuff.

http://hopkinssports.cstv.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/jhop-m-tennis-mtt.html

Just start playing and winning and maybe they will give you a shot. Theres nothing to lose if you dont.

wilsonplayer
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
zoom, what's pretty decent? top 100 nationally? just wondering so it will give me an idea. thanks

atatu
11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Theres worse schools you can go to any of those.

As far as Johns Hopkins goes, if it aint lacrosse it gets no media play around here so I couldnt tell you of what I have heard about there tennis.

Heres the roster for the tennis team at Hopkins just try to google the dudes to get rankins and stuff.

http://hopkinssports.cstv.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/jhop-m-tennis-mtt.html

Just start playing and winning and maybe they will give you a shot. Theres nothing to lose if you dont.

They've got Chang on the roster ? I guess he didn't use any eligibility back in the day when he turned pro...

wilsonplayer
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
this is me at around 75% just hitting a few practice balls (just to give you an idea of how i hit groundies). if anyone wants to see more, i can post more videos in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBkJ9E0cdI

JMS
11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
They've got Chang on the roster ? I guess he didn't use any eligibility back in the day when he turned pro...

Haha the Chang on the Hopkins team is from my city, that joke is quite overused :)

tyro
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I've seen Hopkins play. They won a fairly competitive conference last year and made it to the NCAA championships, but didn't get all that far. Their #1 singles player is in the DIII top 20. Many of the players on the team had some kind of national or regional ranking as high schoolers.

I would guess a 5.0 could walk on, but DIII is actually a lot better than you might expect. It's actually kind of shocking how good college tennis is. BC and BU might be a step up from Hopkins, but maybe not.

tennis_nerd22
01-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Would a 4.5 make hopkins team?

Jackie T. Stephens
01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm also a Junior and a solid 4.0 but what I'm going to do is write about 10 schools and of course I can get a full scholarship, I know this one guy who isn't really good but I can beat him and he's a real pusher but made it to Alabama state last year playing number 4, if he can make it on the team for a full scholarship there then anyone can.

ClarkC
02-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm also a Junior and a solid 4.0 but what I'm going to do is write about 10 schools and of course I can get a full scholarship, I know this one guy who isn't really good but I can beat him and he's a real pusher but made it to Alabama state last year playing number 4, if he can make it on the team for a full scholarship there then anyone can.

Why on earth do you think the #4 player at Alabama State is on full scholarship? There is a 4.5 scholarship limit for men's tennis in NCAA Division I. These are spread over more than 6 players. Full scholarships are rare.

ClarkC
02-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Would a 4.5 make hopkins team?

No, because neither Johns Hopkins nor any other school playing college tennis gives a hoot about a stupid self-ranking system. Try tennisrecruiting.net rankings, based on actual USTA tourney play, to see the level of their team.