PDA

View Full Version : Luczak knocks off top seed Gonzalez

christo
02-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Nice to see the wild haired journeyman from Oz taking out the mad bomber, can he do the same to Sa?

VamosRafa
02-15-2005, 07:00 PM
That is a good win. And he gave Carlos Moya a bit of a scare last week in Buenos Aires, taking him to a second-set tiebreak.

Not sure he can go the distance, especially before a Brazilian crowd.

robbie_dademo
02-16-2005, 04:43 AM
of course he can beat sa, hes been playing really solid all year:)

great to see an aussie battler actually making it through the qualies, which is very rare these days to see, most bomb out.

doin us proud mate:) keep it up and davis cup could be on the horizon.

i mean its out of hewitt, arthurs, scud, reid and luzcak for singles. id take luzcak at the moment as 2nd choice. he has had some good grass results.

K!ck5w3rvE
02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Peter Luczak is a mad player.

christo
02-17-2005, 06:36 PM
and Scud couldn't beat my Mum right now

equinox
02-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Give this kid a call for davis cup.

VamosRafa
02-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Before you do that, give him a call for the semis in Brasil tomorrow.

He's there.

robbie_dademo
02-18-2005, 01:55 AM
yes! im so proud of peter, hes a top fighter, and as an aussie hes my choice to help hewitt out in davis cup.

i just dont think arthurs can do it on grass anymore, hes liable to put in a bad match somewhere, while scud is simply not match toughened.

but i bet the team will go safe and select scud and arthurs and leave luczcak out.

you watch

AndrewD
02-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Good on him. Its always nice to see someone battle their way through the qualies into the business end of a tournament. And the shoes he's been wearing while he's been doing so well? None other than the trusty old, $30 Dunlop Volleys LOL. Best shoe you can buy for clay, grass or dirt court play and they aren't too bad for hardcourts as well LOL.

Happy as I am for Luczak, I wouldn't think he'd be the best pick for grass. The guy's got some pretty severe grips and, horses for courses, Arthurs is a better bet for grass even if he isn't playing well( Im sure if they played more often on grass Arthurs' ranking would be higher). Still, dont you think it would have been a better idea to have played Luczak during the tie against Morocco just to give him some experience. Todd Reid played one dead rubber but why waste the other on Woodbridge? He's not going to play singles again so why not blood the youngster? Be a damn site easier than him fronting up for his first tie against a hostile foreign crowd. Look what it did to Andrew Ilie.

Marius_Hancu
02-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Let's hope this won't be the first and last thread on him here, I mean he won't be disappearing overnight ... it's quite rare these days an Aussie on clay in semis ...

AndrewD
02-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Marius, we did have Richard Fromberg a few years ago who was better on clay than anything else and Jason Stoltenberg, Darren Cahill and Andrew Ilie did quite well on the slow stuff but yes, its not typical is it? Even Hewitt doesn't look as comfortable on slower courts as Luzcak.

Think he's paid his dues as well, playing college tennis in the States, slugging it out on Challenger and Satellite tours. Hope this raises his confidence a bit and he realises he can play with the big boys. Last time I saw him he was hitting the ball a tonne but with so much spin he wasn't getting full use of the power. Anyone know if he's managed to tone it down a touch?

Goran
02-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Luczak knocks off top seed Gonzalez

It's spelled lucksack. Geez.

robbie_dademo
02-18-2005, 12:27 PM
damn he lost pretty badly, hes definately a rung below the top clay courters no doubt, the spaniards and argentines are simply too tough i guess

K!ck5w3rvE
02-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Who to? What was the score?

AndrewD
02-19-2005, 01:18 AM
He lost to Alberto Martin 62 63. Still, not bad considering he had played the qualies (2 or 3 matches).

christo
02-19-2005, 02:58 PM
He's been playing some good players very tough, and if he can just get his ranking up a bit, (this result will surely help) he'll have an easier go of it. Unfortunately, as far as Davis Cup goes, if you're not part of the IN crowd, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. Look at what happened to Spadea. The Aussies under John Newcombe were the worst, if you didn't fit in with the Good old Ausssie image, i.e. born and bred, true blue dinky di Aussie, you didn't get a sniff, ask Scud how he fit in with the boys, the minute he put a foot wrong , wankers like Pat Cash (yeah Pat , the headband still looks REALLY cool, nah I DO mean it) were howling for his blood. Oh, by the way Pat, how's your mate, Gavin, making out these days. Don't drop the soap Gavin!