PDA

View Full Version : Gaudio quietly kicking some a**

christo
02-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Don't look now but Gaston is having a hell of a run, I know it's early but he's playing better than just about anyone in S.A. right now and it's only a few months to Roland Garros so go, go Gaudio!

Chopin
02-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Gaudio is a GREAT clay clourt player. He deserves a lot more credit than people give him on this board.

VamosRafa
02-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Having watched some of his matches in Buenos Aires, I definitely agree.

Granted, it's his home country, but he was very impressive at times.

I was especially impressed with his forehand. We all know about his backhand, but he was drilling those inside-out-forehands. Nadal is quick, as we know, but he had no chance, even on a relatively slow surface.

nkhera1
02-15-2005, 08:15 PM
i'm quite surprised that gaudio doesn't do better on fast courst, but it seems like maybe his temper gets in the way

VictorS.
02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
I think his lack of service punch kind of hurts him on the faster surfaces. However, he's really playing beautifully right now on clay. I would say he's the favorite right now for roland garros. However, with so many great clay courters, it's definitely an uphill climb if he is to repeat last yr's success.

VamosRafa
02-15-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm not so sure, Victor. There are many claycourters, certainly. And a variety of them can beat non-claycourters on a given day, or even on most days.

But Gaudio has an impressive record in events over the past year that have featured claycourters. And he's shown that he's pretty much the best there.

Granted, Coria hasn't been in those events, given his injury.

But I'm thinking that when the Tour moves to clay, he and Coria will rise to the top, and we'll see where Moya, Federer and others are in comparison.

But unless Gaudio suffers an injury or something else, he's going to be competing at the very top on clay.

And he may show that his RG win was no fluke.

After winning two events, he withdrew from Brasil, saying he needed a rest. It likely was a wise move.

But he's playing some good tennis.

ragnaROK
02-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Seems like his big ranking from last year seemed to give him a lot of confidence even if it was only from Roland Garros. Question: will Guga be back for this yrs RG?

c10
02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
He is the best clay court player on the world, and call me crazy but I think he could be one of the top 3 players on hard courts.

VamosRafa
02-16-2005, 12:40 AM
He is the best clay court player on the world, and call me crazy but I think he could be one of the top 3 players on hard courts.

Maybe, but his play in Houston was less than stellar, to say the least.

There are several players who can give him trouble on hardcourts -- but having said that, he should be able to give those same players trouble on claycourts.

I'd love to see him play Federer on clay.

RickN
02-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Gaudio has a nice style of play. His attitude and fighting spirit must improve though for him to be a contender on hardcourt.

VictorS.
02-16-2005, 04:49 AM
He's not the best hard court player. However he has taken a set off of federer on hard courts the last two times they've played on the surface (in Houston and in Kooyang). So he's probably better than most of us on any surface.

rhubarb
02-16-2005, 05:17 AM
He's not the best hard court player. However he has taken a set off of federer on hard courts the last two times they've played on the surface (in Houston and in Kooyang). So he's probably better than most of us on any surface.

He has got some reasonable wins on hard court, but not particularly consistent. Actually, the last time he took a competitive set off Federer on hardcourt (Kooyong was an exho) was in Toronto in 2003, he didn't manage it in Houston. They have played each other on clay, in Gstaad semis and then last year first round in Hamburg. Federer won both.

foetz
02-16-2005, 07:07 PM

not in huston 2004(masters cup).
fed won 6/1, 7/6

VictorS.
02-16-2005, 08:29 PM
My mistake. I guess I was mistaking his match with the match between Federer and Moya which surprisingly went 3 sets.

Steve Huff
02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
It's amazing what a little confidence can do for a good player.

tykrum
02-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Sorry to nitpick, but the match in 03 where he took a set of Federer was in Montreal that year. The only reason why I care/remember is because I was there that day. I have never seen Federer play so sloppy as that match. He was even down 4-2 in the third, and was shanking pretty much every overhead and other easy shots too. But at the time, it was not surprising that Gaudio could not close him out even though he really outplayed Fed for most of the match.

Astennix
02-18-2005, 04:56 AM
Gaston is one of those players that needs to be motivated to play good tennis. I expect him to do fairly well on the tour this year..but, I the best of him will be seen suring Davis Cup this year - he said sevarl times he is dying to help his country win it.