PDA

View Full Version : telephone price vs internet price

goober
02-15-2005, 06:00 PM
So I was shopping around the internet for a racquet. I called up one place and asked them some stuff about a racquet I was interested in. They asked if I wanted to buy it. I said no, I saw it somewhere cheaper. I told them the price and where I saw it which was $30 lower. Not only were they willing to match it but they took off another $15 for total $45 less than their advertised price. Is this common? The amount I ended up paying was probably as much as I would have paid for a 9.5/10 condition used racquet. Is this practice common?

Dopke
02-15-2005, 08:20 PM
no? probably smaller, privately owned tennis shops will have the leisure of doin things like that.

AndrewD
02-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I find its the bigger stores who are willing to match and beat prices (they can afford to). There's two of the bigger sporting goods stores here in Australia that, if you find the same item somewhere else for a cheaper price, will match it plus give you another 15% off. They had the Dunlop 300G my friend was after, advertised for $299 when it was selling for 199 elsewhere (Australian prices so higher than in the States). He ended up buying it for $170 which is a pretty good discount. Most small stores and pro shops cant afford to price match and usually seem to be quite a bit higher.

goober
02-16-2005, 03:19 AM
no? probably smaller, privately owned tennis shops will have the leisure of doin things like that.
actually it was a bigger, established store.

Dopke
02-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Oh, yeah at the same time bigger stores. But I thought the guy just randomly gave you $15 off. If it was like they had a price match and 10%-beat the price, then bigger stores normally have that. But I thought you meant he just wanted your business so he randomly thrown in an extra 15 off.

goober
02-16-2005, 06:13 PM
well do they do this for other items such as shoes or clothing or anything else?