PDA

View Full Version : California Colleges/Universities who lost Tennis Programs

tacoben
11-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I attended Cal State East Bay (formerly Cal State Hayward) back in the '85 through '88. I understand that they had a tennis program back then but no longer today. Which brings me to my question...which other Colleges and Universities (big and small and even JC's) in California lost their tennis programs. I'm sure that the demise were due to funding issues. Were there any who were able to revitilized their programs?

embot
11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I was in Cal State Northridge around the same time. We lost our men's tennis program in '86-'87 due to funding issues also. The women's program still continues to this date though.

atatu
11-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Funny, I went to Cal State Sacramento around 82-83 and they cut their program, but now it looks like it is back....in Texas there are a ton of small colleges who cut their programs.

Rickson
11-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Tennis just isn't considered a major sport in the US.

TourTenor
11-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Monterey Peninsula Junior College - lost team in early 80's (I think), funding issues, never revitalized

andfor
11-27-2008, 07:15 AM
I attended Cal State East Bay (formerly Cal State Hayward) back in the '85 through '88. I understand that they had a tennis program back then but no longer today. Which brings me to my question...which other Colleges and Universities (big and small and even JC's) in California lost their tennis programs. I'm sure that the demise were due to funding issues. Were there any who were able to revitilized their programs?

Scroll to the second paragraph and click on the link. Suprisingly a few colleges have recently re-started programs.

http://www.itatennis.com/Outreach/Advocacy.htm

TourTenor
11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Scroll to the second paragraph and click on the link. Suprisingly a few colleges have recently re-started programs.

That is one long list of dropped programs! There is also a form there to add schools, that they have missed, that were dropped or added.

atatu
12-01-2008, 07:19 AM

That is depressing, some schools with good programs that have been dropped.

MLoutch
12-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Funny, I went to Cal State Sacramento around 82-83 and they cut their program, but now it looks like it is back....in Texas there are a ton of small colleges who cut their programs.

Large ones too - Houston and North Texas are huge state schools

U of Houston was a regular in the top 10 and put out some great players, Dave and Bobby Dowlen, Jaime Yzaga, "Duke" Ozidur, Lee Merry and they cut the mens program in the mid 80's

North Texas - Top 25 program as well cut the mens team a few years back

Trinity - went from the top of D1 to D3 (they still kick tail in D3) they put out players like Dickie Stockton, Bill Scanlon, Brian Gottfried, Tony Giammalva, Bob Mckinley...etc

gotta love the way some these schools have handled title IX