PDA

View Full Version : What to expect in community college, and after?

ogruskie
11-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm a high school senior, and next year I'm headed off to community college (DVC) for 2 years, then transferring to a UC (ideally Berkeley).

What level of tennis can I find at a community college? Is it much harder than high school, about the same, or easier? I've seen some guys from DVC battle it out one time, and thought they were pretty damn good. I'm not quite at that level (I need to work on my consistency), but I'm certainly working hard to improve.

Lets say I get very lucky and go to UC Berkeley. I definitely won't play in their D1 or D2 or Dwhatever they have, but I hope to play in the "club" team. Can someone please clarify what club tennis is at a university?

Thanks.

ccanady
11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm a high school senior, and next year I'm headed off to community college (DVC) for 2 years, then transferring to a UC (ideally Berkeley).

What level of tennis can I find at a community college? Is it much harder than high school, about the same, or easier? I've seen some guys from DVC battle it out one time, and thought they were pretty damn good. I'm not quite at that level (I need to work on my consistency), but I'm certainly working hard to improve.

Lets say I get very lucky and go to UC Berkeley. I definitely won't play in their D1 or D2 or Dwhatever they have, but I hope to play in the "club" team. Can someone please clarify what club tennis is at a university?

Thanks.

To answer your question about club teams; it all depends on what school you go to. Some club teams are more competitive than others. For example, the school I am coaching at now has a club team and they have a good number of members but they will only play a few other club teams throughout the year. The good thing though for them is they still get to play a lot of tennis and they have their own court time during the afternoons on our recreation courts. It is a great opportunity for them to keep playing and have fun with it which is the ultimate goal of a club team. On the other hand, I had a friend who went to Columbia and I know it was considered pretty competitive and they even traveled to play all the Ivy League clubs teams. They had a pretty decent budget so they got to play other schools quite a bit. My advice would be to just find which school you like and than contact the office of campus recreation and find out who you need to talk to about the team. The person in charge of the club will be able to give you a good idea about what is expected.

eeytennis
11-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Community colleges can and do have some VERY good players here and there. The know someone who was the runner-up at the national tournament (at 1st singles) and he went on to play two years of D1 tennis.

Afterwards it really depends on the school that you go to. Some schools have weaker teams than others.

weaver
11-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I played on DVC for the 07 season and our number 2 from that year walked on to the UCR team for this season. I believe the better 1s and 2s are going to be 4.5 and above and the rest of the line up should be a min of 3.5 and above. Again i'm in your boat. I'm trying to walk on the team to where i transfer. What high school do you go to?

ogruskie
11-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I played on DVC for the 07 season and our number 2 from that year walked on to the UCR team for this season. I believe the better 1s and 2s are going to be 4.5 and above and the rest of the line up should be a min of 3.5 and above. Again i'm in your boat. I'm trying to walk on the team to where i transfer. What high school do you go to?

I'm going to Northgate. I actually live in Concord, haha.

To everyone else- thanks for the replies.

!<-_->!
11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
The club team at Berkeley is quite strong. If you do get to play the 2 years at DVC, definitely would help your chances of getting onto the club team if you end up at Berkeley.

weaver
11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm going to Northgate. I actually live in Concord, haha.

To everyone else- thanks for the replies.

Wait who are you?

ogruskie
11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Wait who are you?

I don't exactly want to give out my real info on a forum, but you can send me a private message and we'll talk. I guarantee you though that we've never met.

Aldi Patron
11-30-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks.

Like eeytennis said, it all depends on what college you go to. When I played community college tennis there were established schools that were lights out good, like Laredo or Tyler. Several guys on teams like these could probably compete with strong Division I and II players.

Below that, there were a lot of schools that were pretty strong at the top but super weak toward the bottom.

If you're wondering what the tennis will be like, expect consistency to be king. You have to be able to grind out points and fight tooth and nail, and in my experience it was completely different than high school. Very few matches could you go out and simply overpower someone.

weaver
12-02-2008, 07:09 AM
I don't exactly want to give out my real info on a forum, but you can send me a private message and we'll talk. I guarantee you though that we've never met.

haha figures. you know who i am? i can't send you a PM. wont let me send you an email.

ogruskie
12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
haha figures. you know who i am? i can't send you a PM. wont let me send you an email.

In that case, email to rxevo224@yahoo.com