PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a smart choice

kashgotmoney
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I have decided tennis is something i want to do for the REST of my life... i am going to start working soon... i will save up alot... i want to go to college and play tennis there. i will study computer science in college. i want to be a to certified coach when i grow up. Open up my own indoor academy and a pro shop inside if everything goes well. I know most teaching pros charge anywhere from 40 dollars and up... im thinking that if i make 500 a day. i will make over 100 g"s a year... thats alot of money... so basically all the money i will be saving up starting now will pay for the facility i will be morgaging and it will pay for the indoor courts... is this possible to mkae a living off of... or ami just dreaming

Dino Lagaffe
11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Just a question; Why would you study computer science in college if your goal is to become a certified coach and have your own academy?

kashgotmoney
11-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Just a question; Why would you study computer science in college if your goal is to become a certified coach and have your own academy?

just incase the whole tennis thing doesnt work out and one more q... is there anything specififc i should study in college for the tennis carreer i want to pursue?

Dino Lagaffe
11-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry if I'm being rather vague, but I'll let people more knowledgeable than myself be more specific...

Sports Science/Exercise Physiology, with classes in Physiology, Psychology, Nutrition etc, would be an excellent choice regarding the tennis side of your education. Obviously running your own business would benefit from having taken business classes. On top of that I'd be sure to fit in at least some classes in English, mathematics, humanities and social sciences to get a well-rounded education.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit... :)

10isDad
11-28-2008, 03:18 AM
How about Professional Tennis Management? There are at least 3 colleges offering business w/ a concentration in tennis management.

OhDear
11-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, I guess it depends. Are you hoping for a Nick Bollettieri type academy? If so, don't get your hopes up, especially with a computer science degree.

You'll probably want to go somewhat into the pro area if you want a larger big name academy, to have some sort of credential backup to get students.

But I mean, your decision, nothing is impossible.

Barricade V
11-28-2008, 08:32 AM
500 bucks a day? Not going to happen for somebody who's not amazing - not saying you aren't but most likely =.

kashgotmoney
11-28-2008, 11:17 AM
well i was thinkin that if i do 2 group lessons a day, for 2 hours each with 8 kids each lesson... ( i will have 2 indoor courts...) i can charge each kid 30 dollars each for 2 hours... thats 480 right there... or if i charge em 20 dollars.. i can do 3 different groups ( dif levels ) and that will be over 500 a day

ccanady
11-28-2008, 11:33 AM
well i was thinkin that if i do 2 group lessons a day, for 2 hours each with 8 kids each lesson... ( i will have 2 indoor courts...) i can charge each kid 30 dollars each for 2 hours... thats 480 right there... or if i charge em 20 dollars.. i can do 3 different groups ( dif levels ) and that will be over 500 a day

You need to be more realistic with your goals at this point in your life. You do not have any understanding on how to set up and operate a business. It is not as simple as you may think and there are all kind of legal documents and insurance issues that you probably haven't even thought about.

I'm not saying starting your own academy is not a feasible option in the future but you need to move one step at a time. Get into college and enjoy that part of your life. At the same time get a Bachelors in something that correlates with what your goals are and from what you are saying computer science is not the best option. I know the tennis management degree at Ferris State boasts a 100% placement for all their students so that would be a good start. Plus, its a division 2 school and if you work hard maybe you can walk-on there. It could turnout to be a the best place for you to reach your goals.

My advice is focus on the process rather than the outcome. Take the needed steps to reach your goals...don't think you know it all from the start.

Coach Carter
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Professional Tennis Management or something like that would be good...you could look at Tennis Tech at Tyler Junior College. If you prefer to go to a "normal school", then I'd look at Business, Marketing, or Sports Management with a basis in marketing...because you have to learn to sell yourself and your "product"

OleNole
12-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Definately consider a business or sport management major. You'll need to know stuff about accounting, business management, law, marketing, sports science, psychology, etc. Actually, this may sound strange, but it might be smart to be a teacher for a few years before you set out to start your dream. You'd get real experience working with kids; you could earn some money; you might even look into coaching one of the high school teams to get familiar with players in the area and start building connections.

Also, I think you mean to start a tennis/racquet club, not an academy. There's a fairly big difference, at least in the way I understand it.

Edit: Obviously the Tennis Management programs that Coach Carter and 10isDad mention would be great options. I was just trying to show you another way to consider. I imagine both paths would have benefits and shortcomings.

AndrewD
12-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Professional Tennis Management or something like that would be good...you could look at Tennis Tech at Tyler Junior College. If you prefer to go to a "normal school", then I'd look at Business, Marketing, or Sports Management with a basis in marketing...because you have to learn to sell yourself and your "product"

I've already suggested the PTM degrees (and provided a link) in another thread but that doesn't seem to have any appeal.

caseyguy59
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
ok kid, in order to open a club, you need huge financial backing, especially with the taxes going up every year. Another, location location location or else you wont have any customers and i think you get the rest. i hope you also plan to hire some help, such as maintanence, secretary, oh and other pros.

for the academy, if you want open up one that is respectable, you need to make it to at least futures. You clearly havent been traveling to enough tournaments or clubs to see how many "pros" there are trying to do the same thing you want to.

go to college first and get a degree to make sure your plan doesnt back fire. and arent you like 16? this just sounds like a temporary obsession that you will probably forget about once you start to notice what it takes to do what you want to.

i didnt want to be harsh but thats the reality.

Zach
12-04-2008, 02:09 PM

One pro to eight kids! To me, that's to wide of a ratio. Where I train, the most they allow is a 4:1 ratio, that is, one pro to four students. Oh, and if you're going to go to college and get out and think that this is just going to happen, you are sadly mistaken. If you're going to major in college for this specific job, major in business/marketing my friend.