PDA

View Full Version : Simon Larose forced to retire?

neon83
02-16-2005, 10:19 AM
According to TSN this morning: "Simon Larose has announced that he has been suspended for testing positive to cocaine, and will be announcing his retirement."

This is sad, and unfortunate news for Canadian fans like myself. Not good news for the Davis Cup team either. If I recall, he's had the most singles success of the current Canuck players, at least at Tennis Masters Series Canada.

Datacipher
02-16-2005, 10:52 AM
He says he was at a party and a joint was passed around that was laced with cocaine and he did not know about the cocaine....you decide I suppose....pretty weak....

Brettolius
02-16-2005, 11:03 AM
yeah that's what i said in high scool after testing positive for herb." my friends smoked a doobie in the car, i didn't hit it, i guess i just breathed a little in. what was i supposed to do, roll out of the car at 35 mph?" didn't buy it. it's a totally plausible story, am i right? what's up with world class athletes and coke? anyone ever hear of len bias? 'nuff said, dumb*****.

Colpo
02-16-2005, 11:21 AM
At least his career highlight came on his home turf: the Tennis Masters Canada 2003 in Montreal. He won two matches (one was definitely Acasuso, the other I believe was a seed) and lost, expectedly, to Agassi. Agassi seemed to like his game but commented that Larose should not have, at his age, gotten petered out by the second set.

Richie Rich
02-16-2005, 11:31 AM
who cares, he's been unofficially retired for years now. Never was the same after the gold medal in Sydney.

raftermania
02-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the new neon. Yeah I think he beat Guga at the TMS Canada. The way his career was looking, I don't think he was going to accomplish much more.

david aames
02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey Mats, make some room in the booth for the guy and call it a party...

Seriously, who would seriously consider that it helped his game? Unless you do it during a bathroom break at 5-2 in the last set of a match the only thing you will score is a nose bleed. But I guess I understand it would qualify for drug tests : )

TennisD
02-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Jesus, what is Canadian tennis coming to? First of all, Tennis Canada has NO junior programs (I got no help whatsoever doing what I'm doing), and now Larose tested positive for Cocaine? God. First off, he's an idiot for doing what he did. Second off, he's an idiot for doing what he did. I can't say I was ever a big fan of his, or Tennis Canada for that matter, but this is ridiculous!

neon83
02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
TennisD, you're right, we do have a terrible program with the juniors as well. I'm by no means a "high-performance" player, I'm not in the OTA (I got ripped 6-2, 6-2 by the #98 player in the province) but I see the players who are. They're still stuck in the same club as me, paying for private lessons, and have to enter house leagues to stay active. Canada simply does a poor job giving juniors of any level an opportunity to be trained. (I think we do have the #58 junior in the world, no?)

Y'know, we saw that with Larose. At least in my eyes, he had some potential, but he only reached a certain point. The entire country is so hockey dominant, that as soon as you step outside of that native sport and persue something else, it's like nobody knows or cares what you're doing. We try to cover it up by giving athlete of the year to some unknown kayaker every year, but it's quite obvious..

Datacipher
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
who cares, he's been unofficially retired for years now. Never was the same after the gold medal in Sydney.

Are you thinking of Sebastian Lareau? Lol, can't blame a non Canadian for not knowing Larose.

Datacipher
02-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Y'know, we saw that with Larose. At least in my eyes, he had some potential, but he only reached a certain point. The entire country is so hockey dominant, that as soon as you step outside of that native sport and persue something else, it's like nobody knows or cares what you're doing. We try to cover it up by giving athlete of the year to some unknown kayaker every year, but it's quite obvious..

Sad, but there is a lot of truth to this. It's not a fluke that we don't have top players....

Dedans Penthouse
02-16-2005, 01:10 PM
yeah that's what i said in high scool after testing positive for herb." my friends smoked a doobie in the car, i didn't hit it, i guess i just breathed a little in. what was i supposed to do, roll out of the car at 35 mph?" didn't buy it. it's a totally plausible story, am i right?

Remember, if Bill Clinton could get away with: "I took a hit but DIDN'T inhale" why can't you? ;-)

Btw, the commedian Jackie Mason described Clinton's "I didn't inhale" comment as akin to saying:

"I took a bite out of a pastrami sandwich....but I DIDN'T swallow."

david aames
02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Last I hear, Larose only used one nose drill, the left one (and he is a righty).

Remember, if Bill Clinton could get away with: "I took a hit but DIDN'T inhale" why can't you? ;-)

Btw, the commedian Jackie Mason described Clinton's "I didn't inhale" comment as akin to saying:

"I took a bite out of a pastrami sandwich....but I DIDN'T swallow."

Boja
02-16-2005, 03:13 PM
TennisD, you're right, we do have a terrible program with the juniors as well. I'm by no means a "high-performance" player, I'm not in the OTA (I got ripped 6-2, 6-2 by the #98 player in the province) but I see the players who are. They're still stuck in the same club as me, paying for private lessons, and have to enter house leagues to stay active. Canada simply does a poor job giving juniors of any level an opportunity to be trained. (I think we do have the #58 junior in the world, no?)

It's true what somebody else said about Canada only funding hockey. This is why I don't understand it when some Canadians don't like Rusedski or even Lennox Lewis in boxing because they were forced to leave due to the fact that they wouldn't get any help in Canada.

I used to play in the OTA, but a big problem with it is the high tourney fees. I don't know of any comparable leagues like the USTA, but $40 for one tournament seems a little high, plus the annual membership fee. I remember only 8-10 years ago, the tournaments costed only $20-$25, and the fees rose so high very quickly. The atmosphere is a little cold as well, but it may only be my experiences.

Datacipher
02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
It's true what somebody else said about Canada only funding hockey. This is why I don't understand it when some Canadians don't like Rusedski or even Lennox Lewis in boxing because they were forced to leave due to the fact that they wouldn't get any help in Canada.

I.

True, but not in the case of Rusedski. He was not forced to leave, he was already rising quickly on the tour at that point. He did negotiate with both national tennis federations for the best deal however leading up to his defection. Certainly he knew that financial opportunities were much more ripe in England. He left for money, but not development money.

thejackal
02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
What he did was pretty weak, but when a player takes those kind of drugs, he is only hurting himself, unlike with steroids for example.

AndrewD
02-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Slightly off the topic but a suggestion to those Canadian guys who mentioned the poor junior programmes you have and the high cost of entering tournaments. If playing tennis in the United States college system is beyond some of your young players, for whatever reason, perhaps an option might be to study and play here in Australia. The exchange rate is pretty much one to one and there is year-round competition of a very high standard in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane plus Challenger and Satellite tournaments that offer pre-qualifying. We dont have competition run through the universities but offer what we call 'pennant' tennis - from State Grade down (at the State grade level you compete not against students but against professional players, most with tour experience). Eligibility for squads isn't determined by nationality (except for the national teams -naturally) so a goodish young player could get involved with the State teams and probably get a lot more tennis than is available at home.

Just a thought, sorry to interrupt.

Marius_Hancu
02-16-2005, 05:10 PM

You're making a serious confusion.

This is Simon Larose
http://www.rds.ca/tennis/chroniques/172717.html
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Larose,+Simon

and
This is Sebastian Lareau:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Lareau
The No. 1 Canadian enjoyed a good year on both singles and doubles circuits, winning three titles in doubles including gold medal at Sydney Olympics

they simply do not compare.

Marius_Hancu
02-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Jesus, what is Canadian tennis coming to? First of all, Tennis Canada has NO junior programs (I got no help whatsoever doing what I'm doing), and now Larose tested positive for Cocaine? God. First off, he's an idiot for doing what he did. Second off, he's an idiot for doing what he did. I can't say I was ever a big fan of his, or Tennis Canada for that matter, but this is ridiculous!

Larose was always known for being a pretty nonchalant guy (one could rephrase that as less than thoughtful), otherwise he would have been higher in rankings and made more money.

Marius_Hancu
02-16-2005, 05:20 PM
I used to play in the OTA, but a big problem with it is the high tourney fees. I don't know of any comparable leagues like the USTA, but $40 for one tournament seems a little high, plus the annual membership fee. I remember only 8-10 years ago, the tournaments costed only $20-$25, and the fees rose so high very quickly. The atmosphere is a little cold as well, but it may only be my experiences.
Same level of tournament fees in Quebec. But yes, I'd be interested to know the ones in US for say 4.5-5.0.

Marius_Hancu
02-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Slightly off the topic but a suggestion to those Canadian guys who mentioned the poor junior programmes you have and the high cost of entering tournaments. If playing tennis in the United States college system is beyond some of your young players, for whatever reason, perhaps an option might be to study and play here in Australia.

We know all about you Australians:-)

Our double olympic champion in swimming (1984) is a director in Tennis Australia. Talking about Alex Baumann. A lot of our top olympic coaches went to you guys (if I remember well someone in cycling). We know you're paying much better and that the governement is investing much more in sports than here. We had countless TV reports on that during the Sydney olympics and later ...

Now you're making an offer to our tennis players ... C'MMON!

AndrewD
02-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Marius,
just thought we could offer up a fair trade. Our government is putting so much money into sport that there's none left over for the poor suckers like me who are working towards an academic or teaching career (think it might be more beneficial if they paid more for teaching positions than sporting ones but that'll never happen lol). Anyway, I'll be applying to do my PhD in Canada so there'll be one spot less out here for four years if someone wants it LOL.

bigbanger
02-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Speaking of Canadian tennis players, anybody know much about Frank Danckevic? I saw him play in the finals of the SAP qualifying and was pretty impressed with his game. He won his first main draw match before being taken out by Haas in straight sets, but he looked like he had some potential.

raftermania
02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
First the Canadian brain drain to the states, now the muscle drain to the Aussies??? C'mon mate.

Richie Rich
02-17-2005, 10:26 AM
yes, i know. i confused larose and lareau. my apologies (and i'm canadian too).

Larose had tons of potential but never had the work ethic. Guy would play great in front of 10,000 and then lose to the 800 ranked player at the next challenger when no one was watching.

Much prefer to watch Dancevic - there is a guy with potential. hopefully he can breakthrough from the challemger level this year.

norcal
02-17-2005, 11:57 AM
He says he was at a party and a joint was passed around that was laced with cocaine and he did not know about the cocaine....you decide I suppose....pretty weak.... I am under the impression cocaine leaves your system relatively quickly (unlike weed) so he must have partied right before the test. Unlikely to use it as a performanc enhancer I would think.

pound cat
02-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Good idea Andrew D. Canadians have been going to American schools on hockey scholarships for ages, (Minnesota, N. Dakota eg) Now, Andrew Oz tennis credentials, please. (Hewitt, Philippousis hardly count, Molik does seem promising) and the flight is very expensive LOL A Phd in Canada? as a foreign student? You'll get into a programme alright, but look out...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Waterloo /York have geat coop programmes.

davey25
02-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Somehow I believe the sport will survive.

Deuce
02-18-2005, 01:16 AM
As Marius suggested, Larose has always been a flake.

Not one to take responsibility for his actions.

A couple of years ago, he was apparently arrested (in Cincinnati, I believe) for trying to buy drugs from an undercover cop. Naturally, Larose claimed that it was all just a 'misunderstanding'.

His 'great win' over Guga at Masters Canada in 2003 can be chalked up to little more than Guga wanting to leave to hit the beach.

Canadian tennis is surely better off without his type.

With tennis and travelling now out of his way, hopefully he can work at getting his life in better shape.

raftermania
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
...and not blowing his money on drugs and other hedonistic pits

We wouldn't want to see a Canadian Bill Tilden sans the great career and child molestation issues... Then again Larose is still a young man figuring himself out, you draw your own conclusions from this sentence.