PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State Player from London charged with ****

babolatking
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3710687

Personally I believe that the number of foreign players on a d1 team should be limited

Julieta
12-02-2008, 08:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3710687

Personally I believe that the number of foreign players on a d1 team should be limited

This is sad and horrible but is a separate issue from the number of foreign players on college teams.

Unfortunately there are a lot of bad things than happen at parties in college. There are also some bad things that happen to female athletes when drinking is not involved. I don't know what the "official" numbers are but it must be pretty high.

PimpMyGame
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Personally I believe that all r@pe suspects should have the right to remain anonymous if they have no previous convictions.

Gemini
12-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Personally I believe that all r@pe suspects should have the right to remain anonymous if they have no previous convictions.

Hmmmm..that's an interesting perspective. I'd like to hear your reasoning on the anonymity. I'm not arguing your thoughts. Just curious.

Also, regarding the original post, I truly doubt that non-American male collegiate tennis players are more likely to commit **** than their American counterparts.

ccanady
12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Gemini;2905938]Hmmmm..that's an interesting perspective. I'd like to hear your reasoning on the anonymity. I'm not arguing your thoughts. Just curious.

The keyword in the original statement is suspect. He has been arrested and charged but he still has the presumption of innocence. However, the problem with releasing this kids name is that his arrest will make headlines since he is a DI athlete, but if he is acquitted of these charges I doubt we hear much about it because himself, his school and his sport are not high profile.

Unfortunately, with all the sick people out there this could happen to anyone. Just look at the Duke lacrosse players, they hire a stripper who decides she wants to make a little money off of these kids and all she had to do is say one word. Luckily for those players the news was big enough that when she said she actually lied there was enough media to completely clear their names. This tennis player may not have the same opportunity if he is innocent and now his name will forever be linked with raping someone whether its true or not.

Dave M
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Agree with that, whilst i've always thought that if found guilty of crimes like this people should be named and the local community alreted when they are releaased, as said above how can someone take back the bad press if they do turn out to be not guilty?
Tricky one this.

Moz
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Agreed. The problem with releasing their names before conviction is that it's a sentence in itself - living with the stigma of ****, even if it turns out to be true.

It reminds me of the local priest making headlines for paedophilia in the local papers before the charges were dropped. He had to move anyway.

Fee
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
There are only 2 US players on the Miss State men's team. Are the US tennis prospects so bad now that a D1 school has to get not one but TWO players from the UK, of all places? Yikes.

PimpMyGame
12-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Hmmmm..that's an interesting perspective. I'd like to hear your reasoning on the anonymity. I'm not arguing your thoughts. Just curious.

Fair enough, I think the posts after yours reflect my point of view very well, innocent until proven guilty, ruined lives following false accusations etc. It's a sad, f*cked-up world we live in where we see lots of evil people doing evil things, but we also see an element of false accusations which would have a devastating effect. If I were falsely accused of this type of crime I'm not sure that a full recovery would be possible. In the meantime, my kids would get bullied, my family would be shunned and I would probably have to change my job and move away. Absolutely life changing, absolutely shattering.

LSStringing
12-04-2008, 06:51 AM
They actually have 3 players from the UK. Max Gregor is from England, but trained in Spain.

nickynu
01-01-2009, 02:45 AM
There are only 2 US players on the Miss State men's team. Are the US tennis prospects so bad now that a D1 school has to get not one but TWO players from the UK, of all places? Yikes.

Hi there I am from the UK and get ready for the generalisations to come- i recognise not everybody falls into the following catagories but here are my thoughts

I sometimes get the impression that our players whilst generally quite talented and skillful often lack the determination and work ethic to make the transition from supremely promising junior to pro. We often enjoy the looking flashy aspect rather than getting our hands dirty and doing everything it takes to make it.

I spent some time in Spain and the difference between how hard the juniors from Spain work at the academy I saw as compared to the english kids was truely frightening.

Why then do the UK kids sometimes get on the teams ahead of the Americans in your colleges- simply our kids are looking like they have talent to burn when getting recruited but actually their attitudes mean that they GENERALLY are not a great long term bet. There you go

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
a lot of kids & parents won't look twice at a university that is stacked with foreigners. They assume that the team will ALWAYS be stacked with foreigners and that there's no way in for American players. I know, for a fact, that two D1 colleges we visit REALLY want to recruit American kids, but no-one applies.

So, if you want to go to D1, these two teams want American players: University of North Florida (coach Igal??) and University of Georgia Southern in Statesboro (coach Justin Miles).

Lesson learned: just because the team has a lot of foreign players, does NOT mean it's carved in stone to stay that way. Colleges ARE coming back to recruiting Americans.

jaggy
01-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Being native English speakers also helps Brits, Aussies etc as at bigger schools it can be tough to gain admission and low TOEFL scores may end up with denied admissions.

Julieta
01-03-2009, 06:04 AM
It's usually because a coach and/or previous player has a connection in a particular area. Players will keep coming from country X until the pipeline dries up or the coach goes to another school. My school had a bunch of players from a particular country because our coach was from there. After that coach left players kept coming from that country on recommendation from former players for about eight more years. Now the school doesn't have any players from that particular country although it is stocked with internationals from other places. In fact I think there is only one American and she's gone after this year. The men's team is 100 percent foreign. I'd say the average age is about 21 too.

woodrow1029
01-03-2009, 08:39 AM
What does that have to do with the issue at hand?

Rabbit
01-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Sad to say, but yes. When I was at MSU many moons ago, the whole team save 2 players were from South America. Before that, State had players from Australia. When MSU was ranked in the top 3, the campus referred to the team as Air France...

ClarkC
01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Charges were dropped for lack of evidence; see this new thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=238422).