PDA

View Full Version : dartmouth

kctennis1005
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
anyone know anything about the dartmouth men's tennis team, the coach, or the school? any opinions? im considering going there and am visiting next month.

MTChong
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm not on the team, but I do know you can just email the coach.

As for the school itself, I think it's a great place -- if the fit is for you. The area is pretty rural and the closest "city" is probably Boston, which is still a solid 2 hours away driving. If you apply and get accepted, I'd urge you to go on the Dimensions trip, which is an event held in April or so for accepted students. You are housed with other students and there are lots of activities planned that will help you get a feel for the college.

As for my opinion of it, I think it's a great school, but I don't really have much to compare with not having visited colleges when I applied. If you have any specific questions, you can feel free to ask; I'm a sophomore there

Fedace
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
anyone know anything about the dartmouth men's tennis team, the coach, or the school? any opinions? im considering going there and am visiting next month.

I agree, it is a great place. Their tennis team isn't as strong as Harvard but i heard they have nice Chemistry and team spirit. and besides, academics is more important so if you get in there, tennis team should be 2ndary issue. but i did hear some nice things about them. Of course,,,it isn't as nice as Stanford...:)

JMS
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I would imagine there is a group of very talented players there, but yet not a dominating force in tennis. I'm from NC and our 4A division high school senior runner-up (lost to Ryan Noble who has committed to UNC, I'm sure you know who he is) is there for tennis.

JMS
12-03-2008, 02:03 PM
And of course it is an incredible school

kctennis1005
12-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not on the team, but I do know you can just email the coach.

As for the school itself, I think it's a great place -- if the fit is for you. The area is pretty rural and the closest "city" is probably Boston, which is still a solid 2 hours away driving. If you apply and get accepted, I'd urge you to go on the Dimensions trip, which is an event held in April or so for accepted students. You are housed with other students and there are lots of activities planned that will help you get a feel for the college.

As for my opinion of it, I think it's a great school, but I don't really have much to compare with not having visited colleges when I applied. If you have any specific questions, you can feel free to ask; I'm a sophomore there

ya ive talked to the coach and am taking an official visit next month...just wonderin if anyone knew anything bout it

tennismom42
12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
anyone know anything about the dartmouth men's tennis team, the coach, or the school? any opinions? im considering going there and am visiting next month. I still can't get an e-mail through to you. Go check your profile. Make sure you checked the box that says it's ok to receive e-mail from other users.

Meanwhile, I suggest you contact Annette Broersma. She is a wealth of information about colleges & the recruiting process. She lives in Cali. I think she finds colleges for kids. She represents the kid. Hard to tell though because she typically tells you whatever you want to know.

NickC
12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I've got a few friends who go there, if there's something you want to know about the academics or student life, let me know, I'll ask them.

MTChong
12-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I agree, it is a great place. Their tennis team isn't as strong as Harvard but i heard they have nice Chemistry and team spirit. and besides, academics is more important so if you get in there, tennis team should be 2ndary issue. but i did hear some nice things about them. Of course,,,it isn't as nice as Stanford...:)

Definitely agree that if you're looking for a strong tennis program at a good school, you're better off looking at (assuming you're qualified enough academically and good enough at tennis):
Harvard, Yale, or Princeton -- basically, the ones that are better known also seem to draw more of the 5-star players, even a few Blue Chips here and there.
Stanford is obviously strong; Berkeley or UCLA are great choices, but if out of state, are pretty much as hard to get into as Stanford so it's a crapshoot (and their admissions deadline has passed).
Notre Dame and Duke great as well.

Of course, these are only some that come to mind and if anyone on these boards doesn't go to any of these schools, don't be offended. They're just some I listed off the top of my head that are all D1 schools.

Of course, there are some D3s, especially, that are strong academically, and are ranked really high in their divisions -- Claremont McKenna and Harvey Mudd come to mind.

Wondertoy
12-06-2008, 04:21 AM
So kctennis, they are paying for you to fly out to Hanover and make a visit?? From what you have said, I didn't think you were strong enough to be recruited for official trips. If you can use your tennis card to get in then you should go. In terms of tennis, it's in the bottom rung of the Ivy's which means it's still much stronger than D3, but Chuck's a good guy and has been there forever.

kctennis1005
12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
So kctennis, they are paying for you to fly out to Hanover and make a visit?? From what you have said, I didn't think you were strong enough to be recruited for official trips. If you can use your tennis card to get in then you should go. In terms of tennis, it's in the bottom rung of the Ivy's which means it's still much stronger than D3, but Chuck's a good guy and has been there forever.

ya they are paying for me to come out and visit....chuck seems like a good guy and it seems like a good school.

amaj
12-07-2008, 05:49 PM

strong enough for official trips hes 20 places off being a 4 star and a far better doubles player

takl23
12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm from NH and you can go to W. Lebanon for just about everything you need. The closest mall is in Concord which is under an hour. The campus is beautiful and it's rural, but not like Colgate rural. I've never seen the tennis team, but you can't really go wrong unless you want to go to school in a big city.

Cheers,

Tim