PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a PK 7G

JGR
03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Anybody ever cut a half inch off of a PK 7G. I'd like to cut it to 27" , but wonder if I'd get into the "kinetic mass."

Gaines Hillix
03-31-2004, 12:40 PM
AFAIK, all of the kenetic mass is in the head on these. I haven't cut one of these down though.

Steve Huff
03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm sure it's like a 5g under the butt cap. You can do it, but you know, it will void the warranty. Take off the grip. Then, unstaple and remove the butt cap. There should be a cylinder there, a counterweight for the handle. It slips out easily. Get a saw witha blade that's tough enough to saw through the graphite. Take off what you want. After you've taken off the desired amount, slip the flat, plastic piece and cylinder back into the butt cap (make sure it's in straight). Replace the butt cap and restaple. That's the hard part--getting a staple gun and a staple that will go through that graphite handle. If you can't, here's another option. Get some duct tape. Cut a piece 3/4" wide, about 5" long. Put it over the end of the racket so the sticky side is out. Use some packing tape to secure the duct tape, leaving enough of the sticky duct tape exposed to slide the butt cap over. Force the butt cap over the duct tape. Cut a few pieces of packing tape 2-3" long and tape lengthwise from the butt cap down the handle. Then, wrap packing tape around the butt cap and handle (around the ends of the strips of tape) to secure it. I don't think the butt cap will move at all this way (it never has on mine), and the increase in size has been unnoticable. Put on a new grip.

brtennis
03-31-2004, 08:38 PM
I cut the 7G's handle and during the process found that it is essentially a 5G in disguise. What I mean by that is ProKennex makes 7G as if by taking 5G and add a half inch of thin graphite to the handle. Cutting that piece of thin graphite off only results in 2-3 grams less weight. If you cut off another half inch, it would have lost 8-10 grams because beyond the initial half inch the handle becomes a lot beefier.

JGR
04-01-2004, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I've cut racquets before, just wondered if there was anything special about the 7G.

ErwinFromParis
04-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi,
So the end of the story?? what 'r the results JGR..!?
is it worth to cut and how much did you cut??
what is now the feel of the stick? Mybe less headlight ? how is the power now / the gain in maneuvrability?? Come on!! :D

Shane Reynolds
04-10-2004, 04:11 PM
I think the best way to do it would be to buy a 5G and sell your 7G. Or better yet, post seeking a trade. I have done a bit of wheeling and dealing on here over the past few years and have never had a problem with TW or any of the folks on the boards.

ErwinFromParis
04-21-2004, 01:48 AM
I don't think it will be like a 5G because the Stiff of the 7G would probably increase after the cut. Maybe about one or 2 point RA plus. thus, the 5G is 65 RA and the 7G is 66RA...