PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

The Pusher Terminator
02-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I was playing a doubles match and I was serving into the deuce court when all of a sudden the receivers partner decides to stand in the box where I was serving. In other words both players were completely on the left side of the court leaving the right side completely empty. To add insult to injury one player was standing right in the serving box crowded up as close to the net as possible.

I of course protested ...but they said it was completely legal. I asked a pro at the club for a ruling and he said that this was in fact legal but that if the ball touched him them the point is ours.

Have any pro's ever tried something like this? It sure as hell is distracting.

Rabbit
02-17-2005, 12:18 PM
It's bush league in my opinion. I've had it done to me as well. I usually ask if they'll stop since I consider it a hinderance. If they don't I'll try to ignore it. If that fails, there's always head hunting.

@ce
02-17-2005, 12:30 PM
It is totally legal but, is done to throw you off. I've had opponents stand right on the service line but never in the service box. If they were in the box and close to the net, I'd aim right at that player with as fast as serve as I could produce. See them get out of the way of a 120mph serve. And if they don't, my point and let's see them do that again.

daniel_rst
02-17-2005, 12:31 PM
You can always just aim your serve at the guy in the box. If it touches him or his racquet, the point is yours. Even if the guy is outside the box and leaning in, you can hit him and win the point. Probably not a great long-term strategy, but it would send the message.

I can't imagine any pro doubles team would try this. I think the end result would be that the encroaching player would get pelted by a 130 MPH serve and automatically lose the point. Doesn't sound like a very good idea!

TennisD
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
It's legal, but it's totally honorless, and stupid. I say you tag him. As hard as you can. If you have no confidence in your first serve, nail him with an underhand. Let's see him try cheap tricks after THAT!

Kaptain Karl
02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I'd *love it* if someone tried that on my serve.

Reminds me of HS. All three doubles teams had contests to see which team could "peg" their opponents the most during the match. Losing team bought the cokes.... [Kids!!!]

- KK

ragnaROK
02-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Someone doing that is just asking for it. Might work for a point or two throwing off the server, but after that it's like putting up a target sign for the server.

Brettolius
02-17-2005, 01:33 PM
nail him with an underhand. kind of a contradiction, don'tcha think?

Brettolius
02-17-2005, 01:34 PM
nail him with an underhand. kind of a contradiction, don'tcha think?

finchy
02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
unless you are a pro (chances are NONE) this should be in the rants and raves section plz.

Nyl
02-17-2005, 03:09 PM
this is totally legal just serve on his face

Marius_Hancu
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
unless you are a pro (chances are NONE) this should be in the rants and raves section plz.

yes, that's the place.

TennisManiac
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
what a ***

The Pusher Terminator
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM

Well no I have never tried it but I was wondering if any Pro's ever did try it in a match? I wonder what would happen...I bet it would drive a player like Safin nuts!

TennisManiac
02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
what a F*A*G

The Pusher Terminator
02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
what a F*A*G

sheesh...now we have "thread cops" on the board. I thought that it qualified because I asked if any pro's tried it. wanker!

Datacipher
02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Well no I have never tried it but I was wondering if any Pro's ever did try it in a match? I wonder what would happen...I bet it would drive a player like Safin nuts!

Never heard of a pro trying it. If you can imagine, at the pro level it would be a serious disadvantage for the returners after the 1st time, which might surprise the opponents. First, the guy at the net has to get out of the way of a pro serve, which in itself could be very difficult, while he wildly tries to avoid the bomb coming at him, his partner behind then has to try to see and return the serve while the idiot tries to get out the way in front of him! Plus they then have to very very quickly get into position to play the rest of the point.

HookEmJeff
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd *love it* if someone tried that on my serve.

Reminds me of HS. All three doubles teams had contests to see which team could "peg" their opponents the most during the match. Losing team bought the cokes.... [Kids!!!]

- KK

Ha! I like that team spirit you're instilling in your boys there, KK. Give the kids something to aim for, at, whatever...haha. Awesome. Speaking of high school, the only contests I ever had with my teammates were to see who could get off the court the quickest.
I remember I won a 6-0, 6-0 match in about 28 minutes one time. I remember my teammate was playing right next to me and we were neck and neck on time and score against our opponents. I bounced an overhead out of court on a 5-0 game in the second set, and my opponent REFUSED to play with the two balls he had left instead of three. He made it a point to take his sweet time getting that ball, too. I ended up "losing" out to my teammate by about 45 seconds in the tennis versioo of The Amazing Race.
There also used to be this guy in my high school who was the ultimate tennis jerk. His name was Rob Leonard. He was always goofing off in practice and acting like a punk, hitting sky balls down on random courts to **** people off and acting like nothing ever happened. He'd hide your bag or do something totally juvenile, and was generally one of the more obnoxious people you'd ever not have the pleasure of meeting.
Plus, I knew he liked the same girl I did (who also played tennis), so, all the more reason to set about making him my "tackling dummy" -- in football parlance -- so, in each and every pratice I would just humiliate the guy, who was a year older, especially if the girl (Caren Campbell) was anywhere nearby.
Every drill in which Rob and I were involved against one another, I'd make it a point to tattoo Wilson/Penn (whatever the balls) were on him...even if it was a lob or passing shot drill. I'd always silently laugh to myself when the coach would go, "Jeff, that's not how we do this drill."
I hit Rob in the nuts more than a few times in the first couple of weeks of practice that year, and he asked me why one time after practice I always tried to bust him. I told him because I thought he was a complete a-hole, and because I told him he couldn't volley, either, or he would have gotten his racquet in place.
He quit tennis in the second semester and somehow my shots right at guys haven't been the same since.

Jeff

equinox
02-17-2005, 10:28 PM
This is a perfectly legal legit tactic. They can stand where ever they want.
I would consider this an act of gamesmanship and thus quite rude.

I advice is clonk him hard. It's his fault if he gets hit.

Camilio Pascual
02-18-2005, 04:37 AM
It's bush league in my opinion. I've had it done to me as well. I usually ask if they'll stop since I consider it a hinderance. If they don't I'll try to ignore it. If that fails, there's always head hunting.

Good advice. I'm not sure a hindrance call is supportable, but I have maneuvered some people into admitting they are distracting me. I act real nice and say something like, "Wow, that sure is distracting me. Did you know that?" The moment there is an admission to this, it's all over, they can't stand in the box any more. I'm just trying to deflate their would-be gamesmanship attempt, it actually doesn't bother me. It seems to be poor tennis strategy, the guy is a target for you to hit accidentally or not to win the point and it seems he would be screening out his own partner's view at times. I can only imagine it has some value if somebody lets it really get under their skin.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-18-2005, 03:18 PM
To post number 1.

Your question is very simple and obvious. Of course receiver's partner and even receiver himself may stand anywhere they want. This doesn't rise any questions in my mind.

Not depending on their position and not depending on the fact doubles game is it or singles - remember that if you serve and hits the receiver ( or his partner) you win unless the ball touches net. If it touchs net and then - the receiver or his partner - the let is called !!! ( Rules 2004, section 22 (a)).

Loserfoo
02-18-2005, 04:00 PM
if you serve and it doesn't go in the service box and it bounces and hits them does it still count as your point?

Stuck
02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I am a teaching pro and have had women say that people moving up directly behind the service line "throws them off". I tell them pay no mind to it and try to hit a deep fast serve. I would say the same thing in this case. They wouldn't do it again if you cooked one at their face. The service box is the same deminsion with someone standing in it or not. Don't let it throw you off your game.

Max G.
02-18-2005, 07:36 PM
if you serve and it doesn't go in the service box and it bounces and hits them does it still count as your point?

If it bounces outside the service box, it's out no matter what it does afterward.

If it hits them, then it's as if it was in, no matter where they were standing.

joeman957
02-18-2005, 07:39 PM
lol, that usually only happens as a joke when playing with friends or people you know well. if they are people that you dont really know that are doing that, then they are just being jerks and are trying to throw you off.

The Pusher Terminator
02-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Ok...I just saw the twins do something very similar. The brother standing at the net had one foot in each box!!!! The opposing team had no idea which way he was going to go and they won the point! I also heard from the commentator that many other doubles teams are starting to do the same thing.

Deuce
02-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Ok...I just saw the twins do something very similar. The brother standing at the net had one foot in each box!!!! The opposing team had no idea which way he was going to go and they won the point! I also heard from the commentator that many other doubles teams are starting to do the same thing.

If this is true, and pros are beginning to do this, I suppose it has come to the point where doubles players are desperate for fan attention. Turning doubles into a circus act like this, however, is a very wrong way to go about getting that attention.

Brettolius
02-22-2005, 05:33 AM
terminator, are you talking about the "i" formation, where it easy to poach and the server cover, but its just as easy to stay put, but the reciever really has no clue?

eagle
02-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Interesting thread.

Makes me curious to ask two quick questions:

* Is it legal for the receiving partner at net to jump into the server's ball (especially a weak 2nd serve floater) and hit/volley it back before it lands into the service box?

* How about the receiving partner at the baseline? Does the ball have to land in the service box before he hits the floater or can he whack it as it floats?

r,
eagle

Cypo
02-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Eagle, you may not volley the serve, and the receiving team has to alternate who returns the serve.

Couldn't you call a hinderance on the grounds that you as server have your view of the service box blocked ?

Kaptain Karl
02-22-2005, 06:44 AM
I'm with Brettolius. I'm suspecting the Bryans were serving ... not receiving. The "I" is very prevalent in the Pros these days....

- KK

tennis-n-sc
02-22-2005, 11:10 AM
It is scary to read the replies and begin to understand the lack of knowledge of the rules of tennis of many of the posters on this board. The rules are really easy to get along with the code. Do yourself a favor and get a copy.