PDA

View Full Version : Is James Blake running low on luck or what!

Haka Boy
02-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I couldnt help but think after all he's been through last year suffering a broken neck, the death of his father then suffering a virus that paralyzed his face that his luck finally had to change. WRONG!!

Made a promising start to his comeback but reports say that he has now broken his toe!

Andy Hewitt
02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
paralyzed his face? What!?

Haka Boy
02-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Yep you heard right.

http://www.jamesblaketennis.com/jb%20pages/media%20pages/05_iht_jan18.htm

Andy Hewitt
02-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Yep you heard right.

http://www.jamesblaketennis.com/jb%20pages/media%20pages/05_iht_jan18.htm
wow, well u made it seem like it still was paralyzed. I was like wtf, i jus saw him in the AO and he looked fine.

Haka Boy
02-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Sorry for the misconception, but yes prior to the Australian Open he suffered facial paralysis.

Roforot
02-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Didn't all this bad luck start after he cut off his hair?
He needs to grow sideshowbob hair if he wants to get
deep in the matches!

Young Pete
02-17-2005, 10:06 PM
blake need to grow back the afro.

tykrum
02-17-2005, 10:06 PM
The face paralysis thing is called Bell's Palsy. It can potentially be serious if it does not go away after two months or so. A few of my friends have had it.

But how long is James out for now? I had really hoped to watch him play on TV at the upcoming US masters tournaments. Last year at Indian Wells I got his autograph for the second time and he just seemed like a great guy both times. The first time he took the time to take a picture with my sister even though there was a ton of people waiting, and in Indian Wells he was just walking off the court after his three setter with Gaudio and he came back to sign a picture when I called him over. Stuff you might not expect from some celebrities. Its too bad stuff like this has to happen to good people (see Grant Hill).

gugafanatic
02-18-2005, 04:34 AM
blake needs hes locks back and pehaps he could get more luck and success. Hes perormances recently have been lacklustre. Very dissapointing considering the guy had hewitt on the ropes at the AO. Will he ever win anything?

fantom
02-18-2005, 05:37 AM
He does seem like a pretty nice guy. It must have been 2000 or 2001 when he was playing a satellite or challenger event (can't remember which one) in Houston. He came off the court after the match and was standing outside the courts getting out new shirts and toweling off, and my father just walked by and told him congrats on a nice match. He ended up talking to him for about 5 minutes or so. He won the tournament also by the way.

Sean Dugan
02-18-2005, 06:34 AM
The virus Blake suffered is simply referred to as "zoster" by his PR machine....I assume they mean "herpes zoster" one form of which is commonly referred to as "shingles." I conclude from the description of his symptoms that he had "herpes zoster oticus." It is a re-emergence of the chicken pox virus (varicella) which normally lies dormant but sometimes manifests itself in adulthood. It affects the nerves around the ear and facial area. The facial paralysis is a common sympton, including the inability to close one's eye. It doesn't sound like fun.

Blake also had the misfortune of fracturing a vertebrae in his neck last year when he ran into a net post during practice (in Italy?). I guess he was very lucky that it wasn't worse. His father died last year, I believe of a long lingering illness; cancer? So, in some respects, Blake certainly did have a "suck" year last year. I think the hair style change is simply because he is losing his hair in front/top. He seems to be acquiring his "adult hair line", no doubt in homage to McEnroe, Sampras and Agassi. Balding also sucks ;o)

But, at least Blake is still getting the big checks from Nike. He is probably the lowest ranked player ever to get that lucrative of an endorsement deal. By all anecdotal accounts, Blake is a decent guy, who recognizes that he is selling himself, that there is a business/PR side to tennis and that there is no percentage in being a jerk to fans. It always amazes me when people who are well known public figures act like complete asses in public. McEnroe immediately comes to mind. His long-time dubs partner, Peter Fleming, tells a story about Mac being shyly approached in an airport by a cute little boy about six years old......."Mr. McEnroe, may I please have your autograph?" Mac's dismissive reply, without hesitation or apology, "F... you, kid!" What a classy guy! Fortunately, there are some guys on the tour who "get it." Blake, Rafter, etc. Shyness is one thing, obnoxiousness quite another.

Blake is a legitimate top fifty player.....maybe even top twenty five....he has some weaknesses that his better opponents exploit; his backhand, his second serve, lapses of concentration, etc. He has a good forehand, moves well, etc. He just doesn't have the exceptional weapons that would propel him into the top ten (ie., huge serve, exceptional return game, exceptional speed.) But, so few do. He is also about 25(?) so he has about three good years left before his inevitable slide into pro tennis oblivion occurs. One of problems of pro tennis is that the big names are usually done by age 29/30......shoulder/elbow injuries, back problems, knee problems, hip problems, and burn out come calling....with rare exceptions, Agassi being a noteworthy one.....AA will be 35 in April and is still competitive (not winning much these days but he is usually around in the later rounds which is remarkable.) Hopefully, JB will get his ranking up, so he doesn't have to claw his way through draws (which is a very hard thing to do as there are very few free passes on the ATP Tour.) He has one tour singles championship thus far (a 64 draw....in DC?), and it would be nice to see him win a few more before he hangs it up.

fantom
02-18-2005, 07:19 AM
I didn't realize that he had shingles. Man, that's brutal. I had the shingles on my head in fall of '03. It did get into my eye, but I never had the facial paralysis. It was terribly painful, however. I was thanking god for vicodin.

Gemini
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Blake's facial paralysis is also known as Bell's Palsy. I'm a sufferer as well. The somewhat scary thing about it is that it can be a recurring problem.

Bertchel Banks
02-18-2005, 11:50 AM
He also has scoliosis.

fantom
02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
and chronic halitosis (or so i've heard)

Pushmaster
02-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Blake is a legitimate top fifty player.....maybe even top twenty five....he has some weaknesses that his better opponents exploit; his backhand, his second serve, lapses of concentration, etc. He has a good forehand, moves well, etc. He just doesn't have the exceptional weapons that would propel him into the top ten (ie., huge serve, exceptional return game, exceptional speed.)
ALL tennis players have weaknesses (except Federer maybe). I agree that Blake's backhand and return of serve is very average (compared to guys in the top 10), but he does have a top 10 forehand, and top 3 speed (along with Coria and Hewitt). I really think Blake has top ten potential, don't forget he didn't turn pro until he was 20. The injuries he has had to deal with have really hurt his progress, but if he can ever get back to 100% healthy, and iron out a couple weaknesses in his game, I do think he could make a run at the top 10. I really question his mental toughness, and fitness more than anything. From the matches I've seen of his he always seems to run out of gas at the end, don't know if it's a physical problem or what? I think it was the great Vince Lombardi who once said "Fatigue makes cowards of us all".

Fee
02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Blake won LeggMason in DC a few years back. It's just a 32 player draw. I don't think the toe injury is serious and I suspect that he will be able to play Indian Wells. I'd be willing to bet he gets one of the wildcards there.

Haka Boy
02-19-2005, 07:12 AM
But, at least Blake is still getting the big checks from Nike. He is probably the lowest ranked player ever to get that lucrative of an endorsement deal.

How much was the lucrative endorsement deal he got?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Who is James Blake ? Is he tennis-player and if YES does he have sensible results in tennis ?

Haka Boy
02-21-2005, 01:53 PM
What do you mean SENSIBLE results?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Did he ever win say GS or say Masters Series tournament at least? Why peoples here are talking about his racquet, his gear in another thread and etc...?

This is not offence, this is just my surprise. I understand when I see young boys trying get the same apparel or shoes that stars wear, say Pete, Agassi, Fed or somebody else from great or good players, from former GS winners. But when peoples are discussing those who never win in his career even 1 Masters series tournament I'm asking myself can such a player be called as a master of tennis ?

So this my remark was not intended to offend anybody.

Marius_Hancu
02-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Who is James Blake ? Is he tennis-player and if YES does he have sensible results in tennis ?
you mean "substantial" results ...
well he's still popular, although not a star ...
that's the reason people are asking about him ...

Fee
02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Nobody called James Blake a master of tennis. He is popular, mostly in the United States, because he comes across as a very likeable guy and he's very well spoken. Some people find his back story interesting. Feel free to learn more about him in his profile at www.atptennis.com or his website at www.jamesblaketennis.com (which somehow managed to get a click-thru deal with TW that I can't get, lucky guy).

joeman957
02-21-2005, 09:23 PM

Wow, not to be mean or anything, but your posts are always very dumb.. I also remember your thread about how you thought Federer lost to Safin on purpose and the one where you said you were going to play in the Brasil Open.

Marius_Hancu
02-23-2005, 01:53 AM
Scottsdale - R32

J. Blake(USA) d. K. Carlsen(DEN)
7-6(9) - 7-5

That's a pretty good result against someone who just won a tournament (in Memphis,) still who's not better than 57 on the Entry list.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow, not to be mean or anything, but your posts are always very dumb.. I also remember your thread about how you thought Federer lost to Safin on purpose and the one where you said you were going to play in the Brasil Open.

Joeman957, in one my thread I also asked about Ginepri if I'm not wrong " Is he from India ?"

Don't be so serious, we here are not at a final. I'm joking. I know Blake as well as Ginepri very good. Since everybody who likes tennis and watches matches of course more or less knows top 40-50 players.

Kaptain Karl
02-23-2005, 05:41 PM
joe - I've decided to chalk it up to Aykhan's "unusual" sense of humor. He's okay....

- KK

Haka Boy
02-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Jeez, Joe I'm with you on this one.

First off asks us Aykhan Mammadov "Who is James Blake, is he a tennis player" ?

but then manages to totally contradicts himself and adds this on the very same thread.

"I know Blake as well as Ginepri very good. Since everybody who likes tennis and watches matches of course more or less knows top 40-50 players.

I've seen your other posts so I ask you Aykhan Mammadov what is your purpose on this site besides showing us your a complete idiot.

ty slothrop
02-24-2005, 08:52 AM
how about a little imagination here, guys? when aykhan says "who is james blake?" what he meant was why is there such a fascination with james blake when he has never done jack ***** on the tennis court.

he did not literally mean "who is this person james blake, I have never heard of him"

how is that so hard to understand?

Datacipher
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm sure Aykhan has googled Blake by now! lol. One thing I am sure of regardless, he has not been watching tennis since 1976 as he claims!

Aykhan Mammadov
02-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I never told that I'm watching tennis since 1976 when I was 11.

Haka Boy, don't offend me calling me an "idiot". I don't have any purpose here, I don't have any commercial interests relating with tennis. Do you have any purpose when you simply walk in the street, talking with somebody ?

I don't contradict, kids. Don't you understand that I'm joking. Do you really think that after so many posts here I really don't know who is Blake and that Ginepri is not from India ? May be you can suppose that I have appeared here accidentally and I don't have any interest to tennis ?

Haka Boy
02-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Oh, a joke??

Ok then that means that the unknown tennis player James Blake has just one his match against J Salzenstein (USA) 62 64

I think that's a sensible result.

Free_Martha
02-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Samson cut his hair and paid the price. Blake cut off his signature locks and has been having nothing but a string of bad luck. Coincidence?

Here's to Guga growing his chiahair back too.

raftermania
02-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Let's not get superstitious here! It's all just a coincidence, heck Rafter chopped his locks off and his game didn't go down hill right??? oops, okay that settles it, I'm growing a huge afro or really long hair.

Kaptain Karl
02-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah. And that guy, Agassi's, game was practically ruined when he cut his long locks. Holy Cow! He shaved his head, and ... and....

Oh forget it...!

- KK

raftermania
02-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Well to continue the superstition, the other players intentionally cut their hair off for one reason or another. Agassi was going bald, he had to cut it off.

And to continue this improbable correlation, Sampras started to go bald during the end of his career. And we know what happened to him.

Marius_Hancu
02-26-2005, 07:03 AM
Well, last night he lost to Spadea 76 61 in the QF. Not bad for his current stage.

What's bad though, it's that he lost 5 times in a row to him.

Haka Boy
02-26-2005, 08:08 AM
So could the loss be due to a psychological advandage?