PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have captains that autoappeal you without asking?

goober
12-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I am not sure why they should give that option to captains or not. It seems like it should be solely up to the player. :confused:

catfish
12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I am not sure why they should give that option to captains or not. It seems like it should be solely up to the player. :confused:

Captains are not supposed to auto appeal player ratings. But some captains do it anyway because they have the player's USTA number.

JavierLW
12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Captains are not supposed to auto appeal player ratings. But some captains do it anyway because they have the player's USTA number.

Actually when you appeal someone you select whether you are them, or their captain, so the system does suggest that captains can appeal their own players.

I saw a team at 3.0 last year (when you could still appeal benchmarks) where almost the entire team showed up on "rating day" as 3.5, and 2 hours later all them were 3.0A. Clearly the captain did it.

It's just more of a moral issue then anything, it's probably kind of rude to appeal someone without their consent.

gooberwho
12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
"Amazes me how many people think i am ignorant or stupid. I have been playing for 20+ years. I even taught some Juniors in summer camp." Fedace

haha, did he really say that? that fedace... what a clown.

goober
12-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Actually when you appeal someone you select whether you are them, or their captain, so the system does suggest that captains can appeal their own players.

I saw a team at 3.0 last year (when you could still appeal benchmarks) where almost the entire team showed up on "rating day" as 3.5, and 2 hours later all them were 3.0A. Clearly the captain did it.

It's just more of a moral issue then anything, it's probably kind of rude to appeal someone without their consent.

yes captains can appeal their own team members. My appeal was denied, but it turns out I can finish the season even though it is a "2009" league. :)

catfish
12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
In my section, there is a note on the website appeals page that captains should not appeal ratings on behalf of their players. I guess other sections handle auto appeals differently.

raiden031
12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
In my section, there is a note on the website appeals page that captains should not appeal ratings on behalf of their players. I guess other sections handle auto appeals differently.

I wonder if a captain appealed someone's rating without their consent, could the player get the usta to undo the appeal?

catfish
12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I wonder if a captain appealed someone's rating without their consent, could the player get the usta to undo the appeal?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing.

NightBandit
12-20-2008, 08:39 AM
I have been a captain for several years now and I have never appealed for a player without their approval first. If I have a player that gets bumped up, I will first ask if they'd like to appeal back down. If they do, I'll give them the link so that they can do it themselves. However, it's amazing how lazy (or computer illiterate) some people are and certain players will ask if I can do it for them. Only then will I do it for them.

In my opinion, a captain should NEVER appeal for a player without their approval.

NightBandit

SunDog
12-21-2008, 06:34 AM

The answer is yes. A friend of mine got bumped to 4.0 at the end of 2007 and his captain appealed the bump - it was granted. My friend had no desire to remain 3.5 and appealed to the State Leagues Coordinator - who went back into the system and placed my friends rating back to 4.0. The local coordinator could not do it.

beernutz
12-21-2008, 09:47 AM
More stupid USTA tricks.

I am curious about whether those people playing on multiple USTA teams in a season (e.g., mixed and normal) can be subject to a ratings bump appeal by any of their captains?