PDA

View Full Version : IF - Gael MOFILS vs. Donald YOUNG

Ethan04
02-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Who's going to dominate men's tennis in future?

VashTheStampede
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
RIGHT NOW, Monfils would win. After all Monfils even took out Moya, I can't imagine Young doing that just yet.

lendl lives
02-18-2005, 12:25 PM
monfils beat moya? wow. young just got tuned by ginepri 2 & 2 at the sap.

Roforot
02-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't think either player has finished growing.
Give them, esp. Young, a few years.
Apparently in the juniors, Chang owned both Agassi and Sampras, but
once they grew and developed their power, he didn't have much against them.

antonio valera
02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Neither! I do not believe neither will dominate the tour. They're both talented and fast but I don't think we'll see that until their in the early to mid 20's.

gugafanatic
02-18-2005, 02:22 PM
NADAL IS THE MOST TALENTED YOUNGSTER OUT THERE. After watching him at the AO, he seems to be making a rapid transition onto faster surfaces.

35ft6
02-18-2005, 06:59 PM
There's a huge difference between 15 and 18, you can't compare Nadal to Young just because they're both teenagers.

When Nadal was 15, his results were undoubtably impressive...

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?year=2002&query=Singles&player=N409&x=10&y=4

But he too was getting smoked by players whose names we recognize. Like Rochus and Portas. He beat Delgado, just like Young has. But just about every match Nadal played in 2002 was on clay. Young is developing a more aggressive style that will take longer to develop. The clay court style, I think, is the easiest style to develop. Just like how in the juniors steady baseliners can dominate. (which makes Becker's win at Wimbledon even more incredible now that I think about it...)

So I guess I'm saying it's almost apples and oranges at this point.

nkhera1
02-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Clay court is probably the best kind of court to develop good ground strokes on.

VamosRafa
02-18-2005, 08:19 PM
But without any regard to age, you can compare Nadal to Monfils, as they are just about the same age. Nadal is about 3 months older.

So if we can't compare Nadal to Young, given the age difference, perhaps we shouldn't be comparing Young to Monfils either???

verdasco67
02-18-2005, 11:36 PM
if you ask me i think monfils would beat donald...straight sets..

verdasco67
02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
i think both of them will be at least top 100 but i dont know about them dominating tennis yet...too early to tell

K!ck5w3rvE
02-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Nadal. He is Monfils age, but so much better.

35ft6
02-19-2005, 01:55 AM
But without any regard to age, you can compare Nadal to Monfils, as they are just about the same age. Nadal is about 3 months older.

So if we can't compare Nadal to Young, given the age difference, perhaps we shouldn't be comparing Young to Monfils either??? Good point. I think I already sort of consider Nadal a legitimate pro, whereas Monfrils and Young I put in the same boat for both being newbies to the tour.

RoddickRulez
02-19-2005, 04:47 AM
i think nadal is gonna be number 1 someday

perfmode
02-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Nadal. Monfils is good but he'll never be close to Nadal.

35ft6
02-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Do people here really think Nadal is going to dominate men's tennis?

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 06:04 PM

That wasn't the question posted.

The question involved Monfils and Young, and Nadal was brought into it.

I think we all can agree that Nadal has great potential.

But he's 18, and he has a lot to learn.

He may move into the Top 40 in the rankings this week.

But there are lots of guys, other than Nadal, who are going to contend with top players.

But at age 18, he's doing okay for himself.

alan-n
02-19-2005, 06:38 PM

When he beat Federer last year in Miami, Federer thought he could very well be #1... after Federer takes a mild break from #1 I'd bet.

Nadal has the speed, the touch, the devastating 95+ mph passing shots, and sound volley skill and technique, and the mental edge to be champion. Yes he is the real deal and has beaten the top players in the world on big stages or taken them to the brink.

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 06:47 PM
When he beat Federer last year in Miami, Federer thought he could very well be #1... after Federer takes a mild break from #1 I'd bet.

Nadal has the speed, the touch, the devastating 95+ mph passing shots, and sound volley skill and technique, and the mental edge to be champion. Yes he is the real deal and has beaten the top players in the world on big stages or taken them to the brink.

And he did just get his second ATP singles today title today (those are on clay).

And he has three ATP doubles titles along with it (and two of those are on hardcourts -- with Spanish partners).

It was interesting to me to hear the commentary during Rafa's matches this week and last week, saying he's not comfortable at the net.

That's not his comfort zone in singles, but he can volley, and that's a part of his game that he is trying to develop. Which is why he plays so many doubles events.

nkhera1
02-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Unfortuanately, Nadal is in the Federe era, where there are also good players like Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick. Nadal may be good on clay and i don't know how much he has improved, but he was rocked by Roddick in the U.S. Open. Particularly his serve was very weak, i assume he has since worked to make it better. He will probably be a top 5 and maybe spend a little time at number 1 but not too much imo. I see him being like Moya for some reason.

Saito
02-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Guess alot of people here seemed to forget the original question. I'll try to get things back on track by answering Mofils over the ambidextrious Young. :D

VamosRafa
02-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Unfortuanately, Nadal is in the Federe era, where there are also good players like Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick. Nadal may be good on clay and i don't know how much he has improved, but he was rocked by Roddick in the U.S. Open. Particularly his serve was very weak, i assume he has since worked to make it better. He will probably be a top 5 and maybe spend a little time at number 1 but not too much imo. I see him being like Moya for some reason.

*lol* I think most players would like to have a Moya-like career.

But Rafa is 18 remember -- 3 months older than Monfils.

Roddick is 4 years older, and Hewitt, Federer, Safin, et al, also are similarly older.

Nadal is still "in training" -- the others have done their training, and are moving into their prime, if they aren't there already.

I don't think anyone is questioning that Nadal has a lot more work to do in many respects.

It's a credit to him that he competes as well as he does right now, when most guys his age aren't even in the top 100, let alone getting seeded at events.

He obviously has a future, which is happening now.

And lest we forget (you knew this was coming), he was one of only 6 guys to beat Federer last year (and he did it at age 17).

In fact, he was the only guy in the whole Tour to beat both Fed and Roddick in 2004.

VamosRafa
02-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Guess alot of people here seemed to forget the original question. I'll try to get things back on track by answering Mofils over the ambidextrious Young. :D

I think it was answered, saying it's hard to compare a 15-year-old to an 18-year-old.

Lots of tennis to be played between 15 and 18.

And Rafa, a natural right hander, plays tennis left-handed. And Moya, who is left-handed, plays right-handed.

I didn't think that ambidextrousness was a part of this thread. *lol*

I thought it was in the handedness thread.

35ft6
02-20-2005, 08:34 AM

Nadal has the speed, the touch, the devastating 95+ mph passing shots, and sound volley skill and technique, and the mental edge to be champion. Yes he is the real deal and has beaten the top players in the world on big stages or taken them to the brink. I first became interested in Nadal when I read a Moya quote proclaiming him the best 16 year old player he's ever seen. I'm assuming he's seen Hewitt play at 16, maybe the game really is that much stronger today.

But I don't see it. Nadal's got a nasty forehand, a fighting spirit, and a great personality, but I'm not super impressed. His backhand is adequate, his serve is below average, and he's not elite in terms of movement.

Still, with that said, I look forward to seeing more of him this year.

So is everybody pretty much giving up on Gasquet?

edge
03-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Gasquet looks pretty good when I saw him at the US Open last year. He was defaulted from his match for hitting a ball at a linesman. He moves very well. I saw Donald Young there also and was not impressed. He had a weak serve (low toss) and a very weak open stance forehand, although he moves well. I understand he has grown 6" since last year.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Nadal is exactly like Thomas Muster, a baseline powerhouse with Godzilla stamina. I said this before, I don't get why everyone else doesn't see the similiarities.

hotdimsim
03-05-2005, 09:10 PM
i saw both Monfils and Young at AO this year. I think Monfils will be better. He seems more natural, has a wider range of shots and a good serve, although he was killed by Rochus. That said Young is only 15, so he's got ages to develop.

I also saw young in the juniors against Pat Nicholls. He won in three, but he didnt impress me. He won the match through Nicholls hitting unforced errors. But he is still a very good talent at 15, he just needs to develop.

gugafanatic
04-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Someone posted Nadals movement as adequate or weak!. IMO he is probably as quick if not quicker then Lleyton Hewitt and has terrific ability to turn defence into offence.

gugafanatic
04-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Guga could regain hes FO title. Once considered the king of the clay, Guga usually brings hes A-game into the FO due to the memories and external energy he draws from the crowd. Guga is currently improving hes match fitness, and is able to practice at high intensity pain-free. Furthermore Guga will most likely be unseeded and will have no pressure or expectation if he comes up against one of the top seeds. Last yr Guga had very little preperation for the FO, as he pulled out of Barcelona with injury yet still made the Q-finals at RG without playing Rome and Hamburg. I really think he can be contender, and is likely to take out some big names this yr,