PDA

View Full Version : IF - Gael MOFILS vs. Donald YOUNG

Ethan04
02-18-2005, 08:44 AM
So much talk about Donald Young in media, is he more promising than Gael Mofils? Who's going to make it big?

fantom
02-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Neither one. Their careers will overlap too heavily w/ Federer's.

Shiro
02-18-2005, 10:13 AM
it would be a : Roddick(Monfils) - Hewit(Young) situation, but at the moment Monfils would blast Young away, but in like 5 years time , I would say....Young

TennisD
02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Young is good, but not unbeatable.

TennisD
02-18-2005, 12:01 PM
For example, the Aus. Open semis, I would argue that Bubka should have won that.

illuminati817
02-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Neither one. Their careers will overlap too heavily w/ Federer's.

I know this is probably the way it will but i couldnt help laughing when i first read. Good stuff.

finchy
02-18-2005, 06:01 PM
i really dislike monfils. he such such a c0cky s.o.b. not to mention his game is somewhat uglier than roddick's.

alan-n
02-18-2005, 06:08 PM
i really dislike monfils. he such such a c0cky s.o.b. not to mention his game is somewhat uglier than roddick's.

Same here, there is a difference between confidence and cockiness. Federer has confidence.... Monfils is just plain cocky, just because he won junior grand slams doesn't qualify him as anything yet in the pros.

35ft6
02-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Neither one. Their careers will overlap too heavily w/ Federer's. Donald's what? 15? He won't hit his prime for another 10 years. It will overlap with Federer's career but hardly heavily.

Gael is undoubtably farther along than Young is right now, and would probably beat him rather easily, but young is definitely the more interesting prospect, and that's saying a lot considering Gael was one injury away from a Junior Slam. But Young needs to beef up that serve. Holy crap, what a liability. I have a feeling he's going to sprout up a couple more inches though.

TennisD
02-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Also, Monfils is more aggressive of a player. Young, he...he doesn't, you know, DO anything, really. He puts the ball back in the court. That's good in juniors, but when you get to the pros, you have to be AMAZING at it in order to work. Like I said, I think Bubka should have won their Semi at Aus.

equinox
02-19-2005, 03:35 AM
Interesting question. Gael monfils is far more advanced than young. He's won many junior titles and futures events. He's a proven player.

If they played now i'd put my money on monfils.

When young matures and grows a few more centimetres it might be different result.

Anyway Donald young beat the guy who coaches (he's nearly completed his elite coach 3 level) at my club 6-4 in practice set.

Young and bubka were very impressive.

TennisD
02-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Yeah, but I still think Sergei should have taken him. I know Sergei very well, and he told me that he felt he played badly during that match.

35ft6
02-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Also, Monfils is more aggressive of a player. Young, he...he doesn't, you know, DO anything, really. He puts the ball back in the court. That's good in juniors, but when you get to the pros, you have to be AMAZING at it in order to work. Maybe I haven't seen the real Young, because from what I saw on TV he seemed quite aggressive. His forehand looked live, and when he needed to he elevated his overall game the way future champions can.

It's true that doing nothing can get you far in the juniors, but the Aussie Jr's is not ordinary junior tournament.

lemurballs
02-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Saw Monfils win the Boys Wimbledon title last year, and rather easily at that. Was quite impressive to me.

jrtennisjunkiejr
04-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Gael Monfils is amazing. He has beaten top players on the pro circuit. He beat Gaston Gaudio last year. 6-4, 7-6. He just beat Nikolay Daveydenko at the Nasdaq 100 open. In straight sets at that. He made it to the 4th Round of that tournament. Gael Monfils and Rafael Nadal are the future of Mens Tennis. Donald Young will start the revolution with them.. its only a matter of time.......

VamosRafa
04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
I saw both play in Miami, and of course, at age 18, Monfils was way more impressive. He's a ready-for-primetime player.

Young is not.

Young has all the tools, and with more experience, he could have beaten Lisnard. But he's definitely a work in progress. When he had his chances, he couldn't convert, etc. Not surprising in a 15-year-old.

In my view, he needs more seasoning in the juniors. Then we can tell more about him. But right now all the journeymen on the Tour will have him for lunch. And he has yet to face a top player on the ATP.

West Coast Ace
04-02-2005, 01:02 PM
If Young grows into his body I think he can definitely 'make some noise' on the tour. If he remains as slight as he is odds are he won't have the power to get into the top 10.

I watched Monfils at Indian Wells go through a lackluster practice the 1st Saturday of the tournament - his coach even got sick of his silliness and walked away. I forgot who Monfils lost to later in the day - but he didn't put up much of a fight. But you never know, he could actually grow up. Does anyone know how much, if at all, Yannick Noah has talked to or worked with him? Might take someone like Noah to convince him to put in the effort to become a champion. Otherwise he'll just be another pro with money in the bank, fast cars and faster women, and no Slam trophies.

VamosRafa
04-02-2005, 01:08 PM
If Young grows into his body I think he can definitely 'make some noise' on the tour. If he remains as slight as he is odds are he won't have the power to get into the top 10.

I watched Monfils at Indian Wells go through a lackluster practice the 1st Saturday of the tournament - his coach even got sick of his silliness and walked away. I forgot who Monfils lost to later in the day - but he didn't put up much of a fight. But you never know, he could actually grow up. Does anyone know how much, if at all, Yannick Noah has talked to or worked with him? Might take someone like Noah to convince him to put in the effort to become a champion. Otherwise he'll just be another pro with money in the bank, fast cars and faster women, and no Slam trophies.

The Monfils you saw was much different than the one I saw in Miami. He beat Llodra, then Davydenko, and then H-T Lee, before losing to Hrbaty in the Fourth Round.

I saw all of the Llodra match, and most of the Lee match. This guy is good, IMO.

I did speak with a rep of French Tennis Fed about many things. He did mention Monfils, and said that although the FFT has offered him help, he prefers to go his own way, with his own coach, etc. But the offer is there.

And this rep thinks Gael is Top 20 anyway. After that, who knows? There is so much competition.

And I do wish that TW had an archive so we could all see what you were all saying about Federer when he was 18. Man, this is a tough crowd. Definitely have to earn your pro player stripes around here. *lol*

obackvalobasha
04-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't think there will be another federer any time soon. Even nadel. I think he can be next guga but not federer kind of artist and dominating like fed or pete has done. I also think Gael Monfils is as cocky as hell no? People gonna bash me for saying this but I don't know whats up with most black athleices in tennis and in other sports profesionals or even regular black athleices on the parks. Most of them are just so DAMN IN YOUR FACE COCKY. Many time they are rude too ( not that im saying gael is rude). Is it in their blood or something. After coming to america i thought it was just only a african american thing but after seeing Gael Hmm..

VamosRafa
04-02-2005, 01:16 PM
I don't think there will be another federer any time soon. Even nadel. I think he can be next guga but not federer kind of artist and dominating like fed or pete has done. I also think Gael Monfils is as cocky as hell no? People gonna bash me for saying this but I don't know whats up with most black athleices in tennis and in other sports profesionals or even regular black athleices on the parks. Most of them are just so DAMN IN YOUR FACE COCKY. Many time they are rude too ( not that im saying gael is rude). Is it in their blood or something. After coming to america i thought it was just only a african american thing but after seeing Gael Hmm..

I think your comments, and I'm being kind here, are narrow-minded.

fedex27
04-02-2005, 01:22 PM
well, many are very in your face cocky, but many are not. the same is true in every ethnicity. i think the reason you see what you say in other sports are because most of the athletes are african american and many of them are the best, so they are cocky.

obackvalobasha
04-02-2005, 02:28 PM
gstring right. totally see what you are saying and I think you are right most part but still I think from my past experinces most ethicity's people keep it down low but many african americans are like IN YOUR FACE. Look how good is federer but I have yet to hear some crazy ***** from him no?Look at hewitt everbody hates him on the court (the players that he beats) but he is a nice guy when he loses and don't act like a jerk. I don't know may be its me. Gael i would like to see him 5 years from now, when he won some slams. o ya, vamosrafa thanks for being kind.

This is a real good place, where you can really say what you think no? and not thinking about impressing people. I wonder of a world where people can really say what they were really thinking.

Again thanks for being kind.

monologuist
04-02-2005, 07:12 PM
"I don't think there will be another federer any time soon. Even nadel. I think he can be next guga but not federer kind of artist and dominating like fed or pete has done. I also think Gael Monfils is as cocky as hell no? People gonna bash me for saying this but I don't know whats up with most black athleices in tennis and in other sports profesionals or even regular black athleices on the parks. Most of them are just so DAMN IN YOUR FACE COCKY. Many time they are rude too ( not that im saying gael is rude). Is it in their blood or something. After coming to america i thought it was just only a african american thing but after seeing Gael Hmm.."

whoah.....where are you from and how old are you? Your comments suggest,at best, serious ignorance, at worst, very offensive racial stereotyping....actually...sorry...no...it's more than racial stereotyping...you're talking eugenics here... It seems that you are suggesting that people with african blood, regardless of environmantal factors, may genetically possess in their blood the personality trait of cockiness and rudeness?!! Wow...that is scary...very scary....Third Reich scary.

RoddickSafin
04-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Wow guys lay off the guy. Almost all of the black people i know personally get in your face when they pull something amazing off. He never said all black people. Some black people i know are very smart and very quiet. Were just saying the majority and dont lie they do.

alan-n
04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Wow guys lay off the guy. Almost all of the black people i know personally get in your face when they pull something amazing off. He never said all black people. Some black people i know are very smart and very quiet. Were just saying the majority and dont lie they do.

People are by nature animals, thats reality. If you have a man and woman who have a psychological disorder, or behavior, or PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR, chances are the offspring will inherit that behavior. And in the case of American media / sports / politics, well those currently in charge or influence of the game have that attitude also.

10 years ago I would have said that the majority of blacks I meet have that Ghetto / hip hop / IN YOUR FACE / Defend my **** of the hood territory mentality.... But now I see a large number asian kids, hispanic kids, white kids, black kids who are now "adults" with the same mentality. No suprise just turn on TV, or Radio.... Its a "cultural" thing to be a complete a**hole.

yvp
04-03-2005, 04:41 AM
See 'Grant Hill'.You'll know.

obackvalobasha
04-03-2005, 04:47 AM
exactly. and where do you think these Asian kids and hispanics gets that kind of mentality from? watching BET. sorry to say but watching BET....Good men can go bad haha. Im not racist. there has been time where i have asked my self the same questiong. But i had some of best AA friends and great experince with black teachers in high school of USA. I even think the black teachers are better then any other race's teach i have ever had. yet i think many african americans has that lil kick in to their personlity. Can't speak for all but many which i have had experinced with. But i see what you are saying.
we shall see what gael becomes when he starts winning some slams no? if you thought hewitt was an ***** wh@le just wait.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-03-2005, 08:05 AM
I dont think either of them will ever become a dominate player ala Federer, even when Federer retires. Monfils will be a slam winner though, Young might or might not be, but it will be a LONG TIME coming.

tom-selleck
04-03-2005, 08:18 AM
i think that "in your face" disrespect bulllshit is everywhere now...... you certainly could debate where it came from, but what's the point???..... to a certain degree, it developed as much in socio-economic classes as it did in racial classes.