PDA

View Full Version : Flex League in Durham/Chapel Hill, NC

10sjunkie
12-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Looks like the Durham/Chapel Hill area is going to offer the Flex League and I am thinking about playing. Anyone signed up? Anyone who has played in other areas have any thoughts? Thanks.

mikeler
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Is it a USTA league or run by a local club? I have never played a USTA league but have played a number of flex leagues operated by various clubs.

goober
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Usually the first season is the worst because their aren't enough members. Drive times are often going to be longer.

The Flex league ratings are essentially self rating for nonUSTA members who can join and many computer rated players will play up. Thus a 4.0 league will really be a lot of 3.5s with some 4.0s thrown in the mix. If you are at the upper half of a NTRP level you should play at the next level.

Results don't count into your computer NTRP rating which is another reason people often play up.

mikeler
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
My experience with local flex leagues in central Florida is that you absolutely need to play up. I joined an "Open" league once and there were 4.0s playing in it! You can probably expect 1 match per season to frustrate you because you can never get the other person to agree to a time or the person may not show.