PDA

View Full Version : Best machine for price and accuracy

mattlikovich
03-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey guys!

I am looking to upgrade my stringing machine and I would really like one with base clamps. I don't care if it is a drop-weight, constant pull, or electric, as long as it is accurate. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions that are on the cheaper side, however I know that the ones with base clamps are rather expensive.

Thanks,
Matt

Gaines Hillix
03-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Matt, in general, the machines from Alpha, Gamma, Laserfibre, Technifibre and Babolat get high marks. Gamma and Laserfibre both make drop weight machines with fixed clamps and 6 point mounting systems in the $500 price range. Gamma's is the Progression II 602 FC. Laserfibre's is the ECO. Eagnas should be avoided. You can also check the for sale ads here on TW and on e-Bay for used machines.

drop shot
04-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Take it from me. If your anything like me you won't be satisfied until you get exactly what you want. I have bought, sold and traded 5 machines in the last 4 years until I finally settled on a Gamma 5003 standup crank tensioner machine. I started with a Klippermate, from there I got an Eagnas 6pt mounting with fixed clamps. I wasn't satisfied with the mounting system or the customer sevice so I went to a Prince p-200 pneumatic machine. The 2 point mounting and the jerkiness of the tensioner made me start loking again. I went with the Gamma Progression FC 602 model. A great machine, very solid but I soon found myself wanting to string racquets quicker. With the Gamma 5003 I am able to string one in 30 -45 minutes. I am sure that there are others who can string much faster but I just got tired of raising and lowering the tensioner bar all the time because I found that I was string many racquets for others and when you have 6 racquets to string it gets kind of cumbersome after a while. The point I am trying to make is that a lower end model machine may be fine for your needs but if you ever start stringing for others you will want a machine that is faster and easier to get consistent results. If at all possible save your money and get a machine that you will be satisfied with down the road. From reading the forum I have found that the Laserfibre gets good reviews as well as the Gamma's and some of the Alpha's. A good dropweight can cost almost $450-$500 so it might serve you better to save an additional $200.00 and get something with a proven track record. Whatever you decide. good luck!

matchpoints
04-11-2004, 01:32 PM
What drop shot said.

I've gone through 3 machines myself. If you are ever going to string for others, get a solid machine. It's also decent side money while you watch tv or listen to music.

Cheers.

Davi

mattlikovich
04-11-2004, 03:13 PM
yeah, but the problem is im going to college next year... i dunno if i would have room for it and who / if there is even a stringer there. so i think im just gonna hold off until mine breaks.....

PHSTennis
04-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Im thinking of start to string also. I got reffered to the Gamma 5003, I really dont have the money but is it well worth it? I can use credit card..