PDA

View Full Version : Ain't She A Beauty?

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 10:57 AM
My sister's father-in-law gave me one of his old Minolta X-370 35mm film camera. I have several Nikon F series and Canon AE-1 series cameras in my collection so far. Aside, being a tennis fanatic, I'm also an avid photographer, and I collect old cameras. I can't wait to CLA this camera and try it out ;)

http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/minoltax370a.jpg

fedex27
02-18-2005, 11:05 AM
nice camera but i thought it was going to be a girl

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
nice camera but i thought it was going to be a girl
Hhahahah!! :)

Pushmaster
02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I bit as well.

Pushmaster
02-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I have an older Ricoh with black metal body. Alot better than the plastic junk coming out these days.

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 11:36 AM
I have an older Ricoh with black metal body. Alot better than the plastic junk coming out these days.
I agree. The older cameras were built like tanks. No wonder the last so long, and they are so easy to repair. They are surely timeless.

Camilio Pascual
02-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I have 2 pre-AF Canons, FtBn and A1. Just cannot bear to part with them. The FtBn is built like a tank and will operate without batteries.

dAgEnIuS
02-18-2005, 01:40 PM
the magazine NEXT to the camera is a beauty...

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I have 2 pre-AF Canons, FtBn and A1. Just cannot bear to part with them. The FtBn is built like a tank and will operate without batteries.
Nice collection you have there. I know what you mean. The older cameras are precision tools indeed. I still believe they take photos much better than digital cameras.

Here are some slide samples I've taken with my Canon AE-1 under a light box.

http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/slides.jpg

My AE-1s
http://www.pbase.com/gmlasam/image/14389304/medium.jpg

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 02:03 PM
the magazine NEXT to the camera is a beauty...
Hhahaha..you mean this one?
http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/sharmag.jpg

AndrewD
02-18-2005, 05:59 PM
gmlasam,
two excellent choices in the Canon AE-1's. Wonderful cameras that are a much better investment than the majority of auto-focus or digital models on the market today. Do you have any range-finder cameras in the collection or are they all TTL?

Members of our family have been professionally involved with photography since the 1920's and I was brought up with a deep appreciation not just for the photograph but for the instrument as well. Dad's got quite a collection himself - Ricoh, Mamiya, Pentax, Zeiss, Praktica, Canon, Rolliflex, Rollicord, Konica and the holy grail - Leica. Kind of spoils you a bit as a kid to pick up a camera and its a Leica M series or one of their original 35mm rangefinders' LOL.

I totally agree with you about the tank-like construction of the old models. Dad's always been an advocate of minimal electronics in a camera and prefers ones that can operate with or without a battery. Guess that simplicity and reliability is one reason why he's got two Leicas from the 1930's and one from the 1950's that still work perfectly and still take great shots.

gmlasam
02-18-2005, 06:34 PM
AndrewD,

Wow!! Looks like your Dad is quite a conosiur with cameras. I'm not even close to his collections.

As far as range finders, I don't have any that are in film format, but I do have one in the digital format, Olympus C-4000Z.

K!ck5w3rvE
02-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I thought it was going to a girl too.

bc-05
02-19-2005, 06:05 PM
chickmagnet... if ur still listening.. post us some pics of this girls that are magneted to u..

NoBadMojo
02-19-2005, 06:27 PM
gmlasam and andrew....you guys know more about photography than I, but i used to be a little into it and enjoyed my Nikon FM....would that have been considred a Tweener? ;)
Also, not up for sale, but my father returned from WWII and Germany with a camera.......some time passes whilst Ed goes to fetch this thing.......It's a cool camera..it's a Zeiss and is also marked both 'Ikon' and 'Ikonta'..nice leather case....some court rash :) and minor scratches on the case, but otherwise seems in working order. the lens sez Deval on it and has f-stops. It is about a 4" x 8" 2" thick clamshell and the lens accordians out and now i cant figure out how to close it..any ideas what i've got my hands on here and what it may be worth? thanks
Ed

gmlasam
02-19-2005, 07:12 PM
NoBadMojo,

The Nikon FM is by no means a tweener. It is infact a Player's camera. A mechanical-shutter version of the FE, considerably lighter and smaller than other Nikon SLR's, the FM patches some of the key weaknesses found in the Nikkormat bodies FT series cameras, while on the other hand, it measured well against competitions with its original concept and body design; in addition, it offers a enterprising photographer a few advances of its own. The FM has proven to be a very successful camera. It can take you to the heart of 35mm SLR photography in a compact, economical and easy-to-operate format and bring you right to the door step of Nikon SLR system.

I would tell your Dad he might have a gem. Zeiss is known for precision.

Mahboob Khan
02-19-2005, 07:26 PM
gmlasam: Has your beautiful camera taken some beautiful pictures? I mean...

gmlasam
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
gmlasam: Has your beautiful camera taken some beautiful pictures? I mean...
hHAHAHAH.....not yet. It's been raining here so. california. I will take some pics when it stops.

Punisher44
02-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I remember when John Newcombe did AE 1 commmercials in the 70's.
But, I ended up buying a Nikkormat FT2 and inherited by dad's Nikon F2S Photomic some 20 years later. I break them out every once in while. They are indeed tanks.
I remember when I was 12 trying to handle a pro's F2 with the motordrive and extended magazine attached with, I think, was a 1200mm lens.

bc-05
02-19-2005, 08:13 PM
come on gmasalam dont dissapoint us :P ur in california.. there must be some beautiful pictures u can get.. everywhere u go theres beautiful view ;)