PDA

View Full Version : thoughts about this game

sheq
12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
hey men here is my video...ı wonder your thoughts about my game..

it doesnt contain all parts of my game its just my FH and BH..

and actually because of my relatively weak partner rallies couldnt reach more than 5 or 6 shots..

with a better partner and my whole game ı will upload a new video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntC_J4NL7pE

RestockingTues
12-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Nice forehand, I'd say you're a 4.0-4.5. You tend to hit off of your back foot a LOT though, maybe you need a bit more work on your footwork.

sheq
12-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Nice forehand, I'd say you're a 4.0-4.5. You tend to hit off of your back foot a LOT though, maybe you need a bit more work on your footwork.

yea people always say my groundstroke game is a weapon,,but in general they like my backhand style over the forehand..

what ı realize is even if ı watch my game a lot ı didnt see that ı have a this kind of problem on my backfoot,thats why its good to share it with the people they can see something that ı have never seen realized..
and what ı know is footwork is the most important element on my game to improve..

eeytennis
12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Very nice. At a 4.0-4.5 level...if you were my student I would have liked to see a little more loop on your forehand...but overall, nice.

sheq
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Very nice. At a 4.0-4.5 level...if you were my student I would have liked to see a little more loop on your forehand...but overall, nice.

yea ı agree a little more loop would be better..but do you know what ı try to use this style because ı want to make flat shots which is more forceful..

Do you think this is a fact that you shouldnt loop so much your forehand side in order to make much more flat shots or ı am wrong with that because when ı observe roger he loops his shoulder pretty much even if he make the most deadly flat shots..

and ı wonder actually your opinions and ciritics on my BH side

and another question is what values are these level 4.0 or 4.5 out of?

Bash and Crash
12-19-2008, 07:00 PM
solid strokes, yeah could use a little bigger loop on FH, i would like to see a little more leg drive (loading and unloading) not much knee bend on both sides. Need to see more, but maybe a little more extension on your BH, left arm driving through a little more....would love to see how deep those shots are landing..

eeytennis
12-20-2008, 07:07 AM
yea ı agree a little more loop would be better..but do you know what ı try to use this style because ı want to make flat shots which is more forceful..

Do you think this is a fact that you shouldnt loop so much your forehand side in order to make much more flat shots or ı am wrong with that because when ı observe roger he loops his shoulder pretty much even if he make the most deadly flat shots..

and ı wonder actually your opinions and ciritics on my BH side

and another question is what values are these level 4.0 or 4.5 out of?

Sheq,

The reason I suggest a loop is because it will lessen the chance of you slapping at the ball and it makes for a smoother forehand with less errors. You can still hit flat with a loop...it really doesn't affect that if you want to hit flat.

As for your backhand, it looks like you aren't stepping into it are at transferring your weight forward...it's hard to tell with the video.

4.0-4.5...I am guessing you aren't from the US...it's a rating system...the descriptions are on USTA.com if you want to check it out.

sheq
12-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Sheq,

The reason I suggest a loop is because it will lessen the chance of you slapping at the ball and it makes for a smoother forehand with less errors. You can still hit flat with a loop...it really doesn't affect that if you want to hit flat.

As for your backhand, it looks like you aren't stepping into it are at transferring your weight forward...it's hard to tell with the video.

4.0-4.5...I am guessing you aren't from the US...it's a rating system...the descriptions are on USTA.com if you want to check it out.

well thanks for sharing,,yea ı am not from USA ı am from a country where tennis sport doesnt mean anything..ı am from turkey..we are good at soccer and basketball even at the top 10 best in the world..

ı checked it out and see what it refers to..

actually on my backhand ı am transferrring my weight forward a lot but yea from this angle its hard to tell..

anyway ı wish ı can play like novak or nalbandian style..ı think ı still can but its all about training training and training again..

beckham
12-20-2008, 08:27 AM
yeah i'd say 4.5...which is really quite good.Everything seemed good....i just noticed on those wider BH that you plant your left foot and then swing.I would suggest planting your right, because then you can get a larger shoulder turn, other than that it was very good.

brayman9
12-20-2008, 09:43 AM
ya i would put you at 4.5 over 4.0 in my opinion

mikeler
12-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Without seeing anything else in your game, I'll go along with a 4.5+. Your 2 hander reminds me of a cross between Djokovic and Hewitt. It's a good looking stroke. Those courts appear to be very fast, so the flatter forehand you hit probably works well. If you step outdoors and start playing on clay, then a bigger loop in your forehand would probably be nice to try out.

sheq
12-20-2008, 12:32 PM
well ı have worked with a few coach from crotia and serbia when ı was 14 15..and they said ı have got a nice technique but also it was said ı had to work hard and smart to accomplish with some decent results..

However it didnt happen anyway..so ı am now 21 old :) and with a fact that ı am at the college right now tennis is on the second stage in my life..

You say ı am on the 4.5 level and ı may say other department of my game is similar ı mean on the same level..but right now with a lack of training some 3 3.5 level man can easily beat me..ı have lost my footwork and the strength on my nether body have decayed fairly..Still, ı had beaten a few man 5.5 level when ı was at my own peak at my 16..

ı mean what ı learned from having a short tennis career is training hard and smart is more important that having a nice technique :))

PopWar
12-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Footwork Footwork Footwork

LeeD
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Solid strokes enough for 4.0 level.
I say that BEFORE I read your last post.
Problem?
You are too lazy. You move late. The incoming balls are super slow, about 2.5 level, and you barely get out of the way to hit forehands into your body.
If incoming balls are moving 70 mph, and deep, you'd be hitting off your backfoot EVERY stroke.
Almost all balls hit to you are up the middle, fed like redmeat to sharks. When you play tournaments, you'll recieve hard flat balls, deep high bouncers, low slices, and nothing up the middle. You have to move and prepared MUCH earlier.
OK, unless this video was a setup, and you're trying to make yourself look slow and bad so no coach thinks your're any good.
But your strokes are good enough to get to 4.5. You just have to work hard to GET IN SHAPE, so you don't lackadaiscially stroll around the court like Federer when he's goofing around hitting with a reporter.
I assume you're trying to get good.
You can, as far as you want to go. But you need discipline (no lazy workouts!!), you need strong hitting partners, you need to enter 15 tournaments EACH year for the next 3 years.
That, aside from physical conditioning, lots of grueling phyical workouts to test your stamina, adaptive ability, and recovery, THEN we should see you at a 5.5 level......barely good enough to get a low level major college scholorship.
It's your heart, your desire, your physical attributes, and I don't mean natural skills (you have those), and your ability to improvise under pressure, concentrate when all around you is in disarray, block out all the discomforts, and FOCUS on the job at hand.....and that job is to PREPARE EARLY, hit the ball crosscourt or down the line, get in balance sooner, widen your stance, and PUT OUT SOME ENERGY !!!!!!!

sheq
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Solid strokes enough for 4.0 level.
I say that BEFORE I read your last post.
Problem?
You are too lazy. You move late. The incoming balls are super slow, about 2.5 level, and you barely get out of the way to hit forehands into your body.
If incoming balls are moving 70 mph, and deep, you'd be hitting off your backfoot EVERY stroke.
Almost all balls hit to you are up the middle, fed like redmeat to sharks. When you play tournaments, you'll recieve hard flat balls, deep high bouncers, low slices, and nothing up the middle. You have to move and prepared MUCH earlier.
OK, unless this video was a setup, and you're trying to make yourself look slow and bad so no coach thinks your're any good.
But your strokes are good enough to get to 4.5. You just have to work hard to GET IN SHAPE, so you don't lackadaiscially stroll around the court like Federer when he's goofing around hitting with a reporter.
I assume you're trying to get good.
You can, as far as you want to go. But you need discipline (no lazy workouts!!), you need strong hitting partners, you need to enter 15 tournaments EACH year for the next 3 years.
That, aside from physical conditioning, lots of grueling phyical workouts to test your stamina, adaptive ability, and recovery, THEN we should see you at a 5.5 level......barely good enough to get a low level major college scholorship.
It's your heart, your desire, your physical attributes, and I don't mean natural skills (you have those), and your ability to improvise under pressure, concentrate when all around you is in disarray, block out all the discomforts, and FOCUS on the job at hand.....and that job is to PREPARE EARLY, hit the ball crosscourt or down the line, get in balance sooner, widen your stance, and PUT OUT SOME ENERGY !!!!!!!

thanks for your proper evaluation.. ı have always needed that kind of comment..

still,, ı am 21 years old and ı dont think so ı have enough time to do or achieve all these..

LeeD
01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
If you think you don't have the time, then you're probably correct.
But.....
I started tennis, first day EVER, at 24. Won 3 rounds qualifying for Pro tournament my 3rd year, won 4 rounds qualifyer for the same Pro tournament the following year.
At 21, you're bigger, stronger, smarter, and more mature than anyone younger, so you progress much faster than any 15 year old would. So what takes him 3 years, you can do in 3/4 of a year.
Your basics look good. If you played soccer with that casual attitude, the soccer coach would kick you in the butt or drop you off the team. You gotta try!
You only have one shot in life. Make it your best shot, give it the full effort!
You can be a pro player, not instructor, for sure.
Just gotta bear down and practice 5 hours on the court 6 days a week for the next year, and you WILL be a 6.0 or better player.
It's up to you of course. I gave it my shot from ages 24-28. No regrets, no excuses, it was the best I could do.

sheq
01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
If you think you don't have the time, then you're probably correct.
But.....
I started tennis, first day EVER, at 24. Won 3 rounds qualifying for Pro tournament my 3rd year, won 4 rounds qualifyer for the same Pro tournament the following year.
At 21, you're bigger, stronger, smarter, and more mature than anyone younger, so you progress much faster than any 15 year old would. So what takes him 3 years, you can do in 3/4 of a year.
Your basics look good. If you played soccer with that casual attitude, the soccer coach would kick you in the butt or drop you off the team. You gotta try!
You only have one shot in life. Make it your best shot, give it the full effort!
You can be a pro player, not instructor, for sure.
Just gotta bear down and practice 5 hours on the court 6 days a week for the next year, and you WILL be a 6.0 or better player.
It's up to you of course. I gave it my shot from ages 24-28. No regrets, no excuses, it was the best I could do.

ı am impressed with your comments ..and you are right no need or chance for everyone to become an ATP player travelling, and sponsorship exc..
ı agree ı might become a proffessional player there are too many saying that..

yea ı accept ı am a little lazy and ı dont have enough encourage like you to start it off but the reason is ı am in a college right now which will end after one and half year and ı have a possible academic career ahead of me..do you think it would be possible to maintain both of them at the same time..or its too much..

RestockingTues
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think "not enough loop" is too much of a problem, look at Gulbis. He has practically zero backswing and both of his groundies are fine.

LeeD
01-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Sheg, you have the physical skills and technique to take you anywhere up to and including top 200.
The question is always going to be.... can and should you give it a shot, delaying your education for maybe 5 years.
No one can answer that except YOU.
If you choose tennis, be aware that a minimum of 6 hours practice EACH day, 6 days a week for the next 3 years. No lagging, no nonchalant hitting, no goofing off.
Like I say, and very few people can say.... I gave it my best shot for 4 solid years. No one can ever take that away from me.
If I had started tennis at say...10 years old, it would easily have taken me over 10 years of playing every day to get where I ended up after 4 years.

william7gr
01-23-2009, 09:48 PM
It sounds like you are hitting the ball hard :D

sheq
04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
It sounds like you are hitting the ball hard :D

it is just the sound :) ı ll add some new videos so that you can evaluate my progression especially my footwork and give some more advice

nickynu
04-22-2009, 03:23 PM
The first thing I want to say is that you dont need to make the excuses about your partner being weak and that this would affect the standard of the hit. Anybody that knows tennis will form their own opinion and if they dont know tennis then their advice is useless to you. Also your partners standard has no bearing on the many rallys which ended with your errors.

Point number 1 NO Excuses-EVER Ok.?

You have a nice game, which I think you know already. What you do not have is the footwork which will allow you to benefit from it. This is fundamental to everything you need to improve.

Side to side you are ok but you do not adjust to depth AT ALL. What this means is that often the deep ball gets big on you and just eats you. This results in you leaning back and trying to cheat an extra 1/2 second out of this difficult situation.

In turn you then try to adjust by swinging fast and slapping it with the arm which produces a flat shot. Tho I cant see the other side I know your shot however quick will lose some of the heavy penetration as you do not use your body enough to drive through the ball.

Also occasionally when you lean back and take it late your front foot leaves the ground. The whole basis of sustainable power is transferring through the kinetic chain. You must have a strong solid platform to do this (try serving standng on one leg only if you dont believe me)

I imagine that although your footwork is lazy, the style of play you have is quite tiring as you are always adjusting and having to use muscle to correct the lack of footwork.

The lateness means you cannot hit with much loop as you are having to slap it. You would get more consistency on your shots if you gave yourself time

So in summary see the ball early understand the need to move backwards on the deep ones to give yourself time and good form,and then move forwards again and transfer through the ball on a solid base. This will allow you a more effortless consistent stroke with better penetration and less mishits.

I also think the court on the vid is part of the problem, it looks quick and hence you can get away with the flaw most of the time. If you can find a slow court (preferrably clay) this would really highlight the footwork issue and make you realise the absolute necessity to work on it. I garuantee if you resolve it you would be 20% better immediately

Hope this helps

Fedace
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
yeah i'd say 4.5...which is really quite good.Everything seemed good....i just noticed on those wider BH that you plant your left foot and then swing.I would suggest planting your right, because then you can get a larger shoulder turn, other than that it was very good.

I would say 5.0. racket head acceleration is very good. not sure if he presently plays college or has in the past ???

kashgotmoney
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
I would say 5.0. racket head acceleration is very good. not sure if he presently plays college or has in the past ???

5.0???????? thats a bit too high.

Joeyg
04-23-2009, 07:46 AM
No offense meant here (really) but, given the flavor of their posts, I don't think that Fedace or Kash are qualified to rate someone's ability level.

I would think the OP is a 4.0 in Norcal.

sheq
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
The first thing I want to say is that you dont need to make the excuses about your partner being weak and that this would affect the standard of the hit. Anybody that knows tennis will form their own opinion and if they dont know tennis then their advice is useless to you. Also your partners standard has no bearing on the many rallys which ended with your errors.

Point number 1 NO Excuses-EVER Ok.?

You have a nice game, which I think you know already. What you do not have is the footwork which will allow you to benefit from it. This is fundamental to everything you need to improve.

Side to side you are ok but you do not adjust to depth AT ALL. What this means is that often the deep ball gets big on you and just eats you. This results in you leaning back and trying to cheat an extra 1/2 second out of this difficult situation.

In turn you then try to adjust by swinging fast and slapping it with the arm which produces a flat shot. Tho I cant see the other side I know your shot however quick will lose some of the heavy penetration as you do not use your body enough to drive through the ball.

Also occasionally when you lean back and take it late your front foot leaves the ground. The whole basis of sustainable power is transferring through the kinetic chain. You must have a strong solid platform to do this (try serving standng on one leg only if you dont believe me)

I imagine that although your footwork is lazy, the style of play you have is quite tiring as you are always adjusting and having to use muscle to correct the lack of footwork.

The lateness means you cannot hit with much loop as you are having to slap it. You would get more consistency on your shots if you gave yourself time

So in summary see the ball early understand the need to move backwards on the deep ones to give yourself time and good form,and then move forwards again and transfer through the ball on a solid base. This will allow you a more effortless consistent stroke with better penetration and less mishits.

I also think the court on the vid is part of the problem, it looks quick and hence you can get away with the flaw most of the time. If you can find a slow court (preferrably clay) this would really highlight the footwork issue and make you realise the absolute necessity to work on it. I garuantee if you resolve it you would be 20% better immediately

Hope this helps

thanks for your advices.. its really important to have a proper footwork and moving on the court fluently..it provides me or us to expose the real ability..

as ı said before this video belongs to past ı mean 5 or 6 six months ago..something has changed since then especially my footwork and forehand's loop..also ı use my body weight much more on my shots especially on the backhand side.. ı think ı have nice technique that everyone says it and ı feel it on the court..however ı realized that physical condition is much more important than being a gifted tennis player..

two weeks later ı ll upload another video that contains all of my departments and shows the progression of my game..hopefully you might analyze it like the old one

sheq
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
No offense meant here (really) but, given the flavor of their posts, I don't think that Fedace or Kash are qualified to rate someone's ability level.

I would think the OP is a 4.0 in Norcal.

yea man ı agreee with you..if ı had to rate this game ı would say its' level is 4.0 or 4.5..but its according to this display in fact ı would put myself about 5.0 or 5.5 and many people watching me in real agree on this point

nickynu
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
thanks for your advices.. its really important to have a proper footwork and moving on the court fluently..it provides me or us to expose the real ability..

as ı said before this video belongs to past ı mean 5 or 6 six months ago..something has changed since then especially my footwork and forehand's loop..also ı use my body weight much more on my shots especially on the backhand side.. ı think ı have nice technique that everyone says it and ı feel it on the court..however ı realized that physical condition is much more important than being a gifted tennis player..

two weeks later ı ll upload another video that contains all of my departments and shows the progression of my game..hopefully you might analyze it like the old one

Great glad to hear you are doing so well.

yeah what I am saying is proper perception of/reaction to, depth of ball will allow the good timing to flourish and remove the need to make the late adjustments that destroy all that lovely technique.

After all if you are always in the right place you can hit every ball the same and feel grooved when you play, thats a great feeling, that we are all working to having more often.

Look forward to seeing the latest vid.

ttbrowne
04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Need to position that camera in back of you. Gotta know where those balls are going, how they're bouncing. Topspin or no topspin? Deep or shallow? Can you hit backhands crosscourt and keep a rally for 15 or 20 shots with no problems? That would be most 4.5's where I live.
No movement in the feet too. Get the feet to movin!